• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 36086

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Some of you are wacky as shit. We currently have hostilities in NK. If there was some skirmish along the DMZ and the US shot down a civilian aircraft taking off from a SK airport and trump said none of this would have happened if not for NK's DMZ shenanigans none of yall stanning for Iran would be having it.

TriniTrin

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
User Banned (1 week): trolling over a series of posts
This is supposed to be a professional military that guards against invaders for their country... Can't they make nukes? Yet they don't have the capability to tell a civilian airliner from military aircraft?

Yeah, this is all trumps fault! 😂

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I don't disagree with any of this, and I have said much the same in this thread.

The fact that I place the blame for this particular event entirely on Iran does not somehow make all of the other mistakes and wrongs the US has commuted go away, or lessen them.

I just don't agree this airplane being shot down is on anyone but the Iranian government, for the very basic and practical reason that nothing the US has done should have caused the massive and basic operational mistakes that lead this missile to be fired. To me, blaming anyone but Iran means the situation is somehow the cause of this tragedy, when nothing about the geopolitical situation should have impacted the proper functioning of this air defense system.

It is a pretty disastrous event by Iran. I guess it's a perspective thing, to me and many others it's hard to take this event and abstract it from its context. Not that abstracting it from its context is wrong by any means, anyway.

spidye

Oct 28, 2017
This is supposed to be a professional military that guards against invaders for their country... Can't they make nukes? Yet they don't have the capability to tell a civilian airliner from military aircraft?

Laughing emoji?? Really?
How old are you? Read the room for fucks sake

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
hard to say since the root of much of the conflict in the Middle East is a thousand year old medieval succession dispute.
Yeh, I guess what I mean is for most people they aren't going to look back that far when making a determination so while there's merit in pointing out all the context, militarily, politically, and socially most people are going to look at recent escalations to make a reasonable determination of blame.

I haven't really seen anyone say Iran has no responsibility, have people said that?

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually Iran does care. Don't forget they took the effort to warn Iraq and US forces before shelling those bases. They didn't want to shed blood in their missile attack.

On top of that almost 90% of the passengers who died were Iranian. I think because of that single fact the administration realized they needed to publicly fess up because they didn't want to antagonize their own citizens.

They definitely cared.
Cared so much they shot 176 innocent people out of the air.

Can we stop all the cuddly Iran posts?

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017

I must imagine you must be quite young to have this kind of attitude regarding human error in a tragic event like this.

Cared so much they shot 176 innocent people out of the air.

Can we stop all the cuddly Iran posts?

This isn't a holloywood movie, life a bit more messier than that.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It is a pretty disastrous event by Iran. I guess it's a perspective thing, to me and many others it's hard to take this event and abstract it from its context. Not that abstracting it from its context is wrong by any means, anyway.
And that's fine. If this were a thread about the overall geopolitical situation as history of the Middle East and not this plane getting shot down, I would be right there with you talking about the culpability of the United States, the UK, France, and everyone else in the current mess.

But to me this tragedy is a concrete operational failure, not a political one. So that's the logic for my thought process.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
Despite that, explicitly not hitting US soldiers still doesn't make them look incapable. Iran wouldn't exist anymore today if they had hit US soldiers.
You've just admitted they are incapable. The US assassinated one of Iran's top leaders with almost complete impunity, yet here you're (correctly since I agree with you) saying that had Iran retaliated then they'd exist no more. Iran talked a big game and that's what they should have done only, talked. Because that leaves everyone speculating of what they're capable of and keeping everyone on their toes without actually having to play their hand. Instead Iran decided to play it's hand and not only was it a damp squid they couldn't event executed this pathetic of a retaliation without fucking up. It's Keystone Cops/Chuckle Brothers levels of incompetence.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I must imagine you must be quite young to have this kind of attitude regarding human error in a tragic event like this.

This isn't a holloywood movie, life a bit more messier than that.
It certainly isn't, I bet the families of those 176 wish it was.

This isn't an isolated incident, it's happened before more than once, and it shouldn't happen, ever.

And all for a pissing contest, two ridiculous men playing my cocks bigger than yours.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
You've just admitted they are incapable. The US assassinated one of Iran's top leaders with almost complete impunity, yet here you're (correctly since I agree with you) saying that had Iran retaliated then they'd exist no more. Iran talked a big game and that's what they should have done only, talked. Because that leaves everyone speculating of what they're capable of and keeping everyone on their toes without actually having to play their hand. Instead Iran decided to play it's hand and not only was it a damp squid they couldn't event executed this pathetic of a retaliation without fucking up. It's Keystone Cops/Chuckle Brothers levels of incompetence.
The United States army is so big and powerful they can wipe any nation of the face of the Earth. It is twice as big as the armies of the European Union countries, which together are bigger than those of China and Russia. That doesn't make their opponent incapable. The Iranian military is also not specialized in all out warfare, they are experts on guerilla warfare and they are quote good at it if you look how to managed in the Middle East the last 10 years. And they have managed to dominate the region without giving the US a reason to strike back. But if you suggest giving the US a reason to strike back, then yes, they are lost. If they were to act stupid, they would be done.

Oct 25, 2017
Some of you are wacky as shit. We currently have hostilities in NK. If there was some skirmish along the DMZ and the US shot down a civilian aircraft taking off from a SK airport and trump said none of this would have happened if not for NK's DMZ shenanigans none of yall stanning for Iran would be having it.

This scenario you've made up isn't anything like what has happened.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
This is where I'm falling on this tragedy. An unprecedented, colossal fuckup from Iran, but one that would never have happened if the USA hadn't needlessly provoked them.

My heart goes out to the victims's families. Just an awful, senseless, and heartbreaking way to start 2020, and a grim reminder of how fucked up our world is right now.

Edit: Also, I should add that it's fucking infuriating that Iran lied (and is still lying) about this, and they should not get a pass on it. I hate Trump as much as anyone, and I loathe to think of how he's going to use this tragedy to justify further fuckery, but the dishonesty of Iran is something people SHOULD be pissed about.
You realized that this entire exchange started with a Iranian backed militia attacking a US base and killing US personnel, right? People who were at the time there at the consent of the Iraqi government.

Actually Iran does care. Don't forget they took the effort to warn Iraq and US forces before shelling those bases. They didn't want to shed blood in their missile attack.

On top of that almost 90% of the passengers who died were Iranian. I think because of that single fact the administration realized they needed to publicly fess up because they didn't want to antagonize their own citizens.

They definitely cared.
They warned the Iraqis as they were launching their missiles.

The Iranians aren't Care Bears, but rather a murderous theocratic regime bent on spreading its influence by way of a network of brutal terrorist organizations throughout the region. And if not for outside intelligence sources showing comprehensive evidence that the downing of the jet was due to a missile strike, they would still be denying it to this day.

You think the Iranians care about antagonizing their own citizens? They just murdered 1500 protestors a few months ago.

Last edited:

Asator

Oct 27, 2017
1)There's a clean line of our current issues in the middle east to our inventionalism tho. Modern Iran is because the supposed bastion of freedom overthrew a democratically elected government in Iran in 1950 which lead to the 1979 revolution. Digging into history there's hella quid pro qui but the chain stops and the buck 100% stops with us.

Sure, I ain't denying that the US fucked Iran up historically. However, Trump isn't responsible for what happened in the 50s so that part doesn't really apply to him.

2)Trump, and lets be honest the country as a whole is an extremely destabalizing force in the world. I don't fool myself because as a citizen I reap the benefits (some).

3)The easy post is 'Iran shot down an airplane and killed 200 people' with everyone replying with outrage and we all circle jerk each other about how a country murdering 200 people is fucked up but that's not really a discussion.

Going back to why point 1 and why we cant focus on this incident on the surface how its 100% iran's fault is that the US does a really bad (but really good for our soft power) at whitewashing its history to continually absolve itself of any wrong doing and honestly this fits into the same pattern. You guys look at it as looking to blame, from my perspective its just trying to get people to see the patterns. We are outraged because Iran dropped a crazy ball in a way that feeds personal nightmares (a plane crash hits home), but an errant missile strike would have been a shrug.

Hell, the truth is if that plane was 200% iran owned with iranian citizens this post wouldn't be as popping.

We need to focus in Iran, but ignoring the US's role as if we magically got here because of evil Iran misses the point. We absolutely have been a force for evil in the world post WWII, but we insist we are always the good guys. And I get it, as a citizen (even a POC one) I reap those benefits. But I have no doubts what we are.

Most people aren't trying to talk about the historical meddling of the US in the region, they're just trying to shove the blame on Trump. That's what I'm criticizing: People using the victims' death as a political tool to "score" against Trump, it's just gross. The asshat has done and continue to do plenty enough to hate him without having to make him reponsible for thing that are not his fault. If people want to talk about the historical and current meddling of the US in the region and its effects, by all mean go ahead. It's a pretty legitimate discussion (although people shouldn't try to whitewash Soleimani's actions while trying to criticize the US either).

However, the blame of the downing of this aircraft still lies entirely on Iran's shoulders for reasons I and multiple people have explained before. No amount of US meddling justifies not closing their airpsace to civilian aircrafts while they were conducting a strike against US bases and possibly expecting a US response. Had they done that, 176 people wouldn't have lost their lives and we'd still be talking about how much of a cretin Trump is for killing Soleimani.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Man, what a monumental fuck up on Iran's part.

I hope the people responsible are investigated and possibly tried by Iran's military court. More importantly, I hope Iran learns from this so that something like it never happens again.

Geez.

32X4LYF

alt account
Banned
Dec 25, 2019

They definitely cared.

Haha what. The prime minister of Iraq got a verbal warning as the missiles were hitting the bases.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017

They definitely cared.

Iran cared enough that they bulldozed what is a mass grave in the matter of hours.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The military blamed human error. In a statement, it said Ukraine International Airlines Flight 752 had taken a sharp, unexpected turn that brought it near a sensitive military base. Hours later, though, an Iranian official walked back that claim.
"The plane was flying in its normal direction without any error and everybody was doing their job correctly," Gen. Amir Ali Hajizadeh, commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps' airspace unit, said during a televised news conference later Saturday. "If there was a mistake, it was made by one of our members."

The New York Times @nytimes

An Iranian official has walked back the claim that the Ukrainian jet took an unexpected turn and said it was flying in a "normal" direction. Read the latest updates:http://nyti.ms/2skAmhO

1:50 PM - Jan 11, 2020

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
There isn't. One party shot the plane down. The attempt to deflect blame is pathetic.
You can't be the one who starts all this shit then wipe your hands clean of the consequences.

It is Iran's fault, but the US put these events in motion on their own (I mean without consulting allies).

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
You can't be the one who starts all this shit then wipe your hands clean of the consequences.

It is Iran's fault, but the US put these events in motion on their own.
They don't get blame for Iran's incompetence. If Iran retaliates like they did and there's collateral damage at the sites they intended to bomb, that blood is on Trump's hands as well. Shooting down a commercial jet *in their own damn country* is a product of their own stupidity, and they own that alone.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you think Iranians are intellectually inferior idiots who just fire off shots in all directions at a jump then yeah, you"d be right.
No but I think trump and his supporters are inferior idiots, I also think about his was a tragedy that trump is partially responsible for just like Iran is. Things happen and at least Iran admitted fault so now they should take responsibility and things can move on from there.

They don't get blame for Iran's incompetence. If Iran retaliates like they did and there's collateral damage at the sites they intended to bomb, that blood is on Trump's hands as well. Shooting down a commercial jet *in their own damn country* is a product of their own stupidity, and they own that alone.
nope trump needs to share responsibility as well.

kingjames88

Banned
Nov 1, 2019
Pleasantly surprised to see that they admitted it. Never thought that would happen.

God I am getting so tired of this shit.

This is 100% Iran's fault. The blood of these 176 people is on their hands. It was their missile, fired by their crew, inside their airspace, at an aircraft who had just taken off from their capital. It was their crew who failed to identify an aircraft with a heading coming from Tehran (instead of going toward it), while climbing at a speed that would not be the speed of a cruising military craft. It was their failure to not close their airpsace to civilian aircrafts while they were launching strike and possibly expecting a US retaliation.

The downing of this aircraft is all on Iran. All of it.

"Bu-but! If the orange turd hadn't killed that one general, none of this would have happened!". Yeah, and if their hadn't been a strike against US assets earlier then the shistain in chief wouldn't have killed him in retaliation. And if the US hadn't done thing XYZ, then the Iranians wouldn't have attacked US assets. And if the Iranians hadn't done thing ABC, then the US wouldn't have done thing XYZ, and if...
You can go a very, very long way playing this blame game. Like, decades back. In these situations, the blame should go to the perpetrator. And in this one, that's all on Iran. Full stop.

The orange fuckhead already does more than enough on his own to get some much deserved hate, you don't need to shove the responsability of an horrible event on him when it's not his fault.

Doing otherwise is quite frankly disgusting and vastly disrespectful to the 176 victims of this tragedy. Stop using their death as a pawn in your game of hate chess against Trump.

Trump started this whole thing , there's no other way around it.Trying to dismiss what he started is disgusting.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
No but I think trump and his supporters are inferior idiots, I also think about his was a tragedy that trump is partially responsible for just like Iran is. Things happen and at least Iran admitted fault so now they should take responsibility and things can move on from there.

Wow at the bolded.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying this is a good thing or it's not a Tragedy but I stand by what I say. This doesn't seem like it was a targeted and Iran needs to take responsibility and deal with all the families. Trump and his idiots need to accept responsibility for it as well. There is plenty of blame on each side

LBsquared

Banned
Nov 22, 2019

nope trump needs to share responsibility as well.
Shooting down a commercial airliner at an airport in your own damn country isn't a "Oops, shit happens!" situation. And sure, Iran admitted fault after first denying it like a bunch of lying sacks of shit. How big of them to finally admit they murdered 160+ innocent people.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
This doesn't make any sense to me.

The track originated inside Iran. Presumably -- even (especially) in high-tension scenarios -- the Iranian military, as well as the elements that manage its national airspace system, would recognize that. Even if a malfunction occurred and the aircraft in question went NORDO or jerked in such a manner that put its heading on an IRGC target...

... Iran knew what track it was: civilian airliner, UKR flagged, number of souls onboard, originating within Iran with an outbound destination.

This is 100% Iran's fault. Full stop. It's negligence more than anything else. What it suggests to me is that there weren't sufficient protocols in place to establish a proper engagement authority for that kind of aircraft.

You'd think that firing on a civilian airliner -- with Iranian citizens! -- would require approval from the highest levels in the Iranian chain of command. That didn't appear to happen. This suggests to me that either: (1) robust protocols, such as those developed in the U.S. after 9/11, didn't exist; or (2) someone tragically jumped the gun, and that decision had to be informed by a lack of chatter on whatever communications system existed that managed their national airspace.

Nothing about the way Iran has handled this or said makes one damn bit of sense and quit honestly their behavior regarding this tragedy has been abhorrent.

kingjames88

Banned
Nov 1, 2019
Shooting down a commercial airliner at an airport in your own damn country isn't a "Oops, shit happens!" situation. And sure, Iran admitted fault after first denying it like a bunch of lying sacks of shit. How big of them to finally admit they murdered 160+ innocent people.
They would have kept quiet but at least they ADMITTED their mistake, unlike trump who hasn't said ANYTHING at all and he's responsible for all this mess.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I'm not saying this is a good thing or it's not a Tragedy but I stand by what I say. This doesn't seem like it was a targeted and Iran needs to take responsibility and deal with all the families. Trump and his idiots need to accept responsibility for it as well. There is plenty of blame on each side

Look, no one here is in disagreement that Trump is a piece of shit or that he has raised tensions significantly.

But airplanes fly through Terhan all the time. It's not down to Trump to ensure that Iran doesn't shoot one down and then try to hide it.

Now, that's not absolve Trump of any of his despicable actions, but apart from a very general accusation of him creating the background here, in the specific instance of this plane getting shot down he was not involved or a part of it.

They should have known it was a commercial plane. There was many ways for them to check that could only really have failed due to the missile operator crews incompetence.

LBsquared

Banned
Nov 22, 2019
They would have kept quiet but at least they ADMITTED their mistake, unlike trump who hasn't said ANYTHING at all and he's responsible for all this mess.
They didnt keep quiet. They flat out said it wasn't them when they knew it was them, and then they removed all evidence before the Ukranians could inspect it. I don't care how much of an asshole Trump is, this is on Iran's shitty government.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People jumping through fucking hoops for a country that openly kills citizens protesting and spent two days trying to remove evidence of it's responsibility shooting down an airliner.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg

they admitted it after they were forced to. Not at first when they were straight up lying and then even today they lied about the planes supposedly veering towards a military installation and had to walk that back too

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
Let me get this idiocy straight.

You walk up to me and start a fight, I swing and accidentally hit the guy next to us as I am defending myself, the entire situation is my fault?

lol. That is some major mental gymnastics to save the Trump administration from moral culpability
A fight didn't just break out of nowhere. There has been a shoving match going on for a while.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I feel it's more people jumping through hoops to try and claim how US had zero part in this chain of events.

the chain of events yes, but Iran hitting a button to launch a missile at a plane leaving their own airport? That's a massive own goal and I don't think trump fucked with their heads masterfully enough to make them do it. They fucked up and made it clear their operational capacity is a joke.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A fight didn't just break out of nowhere. There has been a shoving match going on for a while.
Correct, which spreads culpability for collateral damage. In this case though, the instigator was America, so it is hard to not place some level of culpability, just like we would on any systemic force that snowballs a situation and produces unintended consequences.