• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Given the seriousness and complexity of the situation and the loss of life, the poll was in bad taste, so we've deleted it.

AIP

Oct 29, 2017
Wait, after reading that article:

The Canadian government had earlier lowered the nation's death toll from 63 to 57, but the total of deaths is still the same and no other country revised its number.

So, where those six passengers were from and why no country is reclaiming them?

No idea, but I know that our government here in Sweden raised the number of victims from the initial 10 to 17 yesterday.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Well they at least had to admit it, unlike USA in the last 60 years. I don't think any justice will be made after this sadly.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. I never expected them to own up to it.

It's a shame tensions were ever escalated in the first place. All these innocent souls lost for no reason beyond leaders posturing.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Well clearly my language doesn't shut down discussion, as we are still discussing things right now.

Whether you realize it or not, your posts are basically apologism for American militarism using right wing talking points.

The dude's record is an irrelevant part of the discussion here
As is Iran's human rights record.

Yet you keep bringing these things up

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I wasn't in the other threads much but I have to ask out of curiosity... were people who suggested Iran shot the plane by accident accused of being conspiracy nuts?

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Iran bulldozed the crash site, originally refused to give up the black boxes, lied and said the plane crashed due to "malfunction" and only admitted guilt after numerous other nations concluded themselves that it was brought down by missile and pressured Iran into admitted fault.

Man, we should be glad Iran has been like soooooo much more honest than the US throughout this whole ordeal....
They've were actually less honest than us and somewhat more apologetic.

The United States always admitted it shot down Iran Flight 655, it was never in contention. What we didn't do however was properly apologize, Reagan said it was regrettable during an interview, or something along those lines and said that, sure, Iran could take that as an apology after a reporter asked if it was meant to be an apology but there was no Presidential briefing where we apologized to the world or anything like that. We also did not financially compensate the victims of that flight until 8(?) years later after Iran dragged us to court. Neither of us, in admitting we shot down an airliner have been full on mea culpa, we both have essentially blamed the other party, Iran's was more an admission of guilt than ours, our initial statement made it sound like an act of nature that couldn't have been helped with a few lies for good measure and though we did do it we did nothing wrong, Iran admits they fucked up but still had to blame the US partly and are saying that the flight veered off the normal route, which hasn't been shown to be the case yet.

I think at this point the Iranians were going to try and cover it up until they got called out, which we didn't do.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Jesus. I suppose if I'm trying to find the positive, it's that they admitted it and didn't hide the truth

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
We like to blame high level entities but let's not forget that it's the grunts that pull the trigger. Chain of command is bullshit, you're a human with freewill and we should instill a cultural foundation that when someone says "kill" you say "fuck off, do it yourself."
This is really naive. The real world isn't a movie.

Last edited:

Carl2291

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised they admitted it.

I mean, it was fairly obvious to everyone who didn't have their head in the sand, but I still didn't expect them to straight up admit it.

Get fucked Iran.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't in the other threads much but I have to ask out of curiosity... were people who suggested Iran shot the plane by accident accused of being conspiracy nuts?

People were making baseless claims, saying things like they're 100% certain. Doesn't matter if you're right, without more information its open season to make any claim. After the bellingcat analysis though, its hardly conspiracy theory territory anymore.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Shame all these senseless deaths in the last year come down to old white racists hating a treaty because a black man negotiated it

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does an error like this happen in 2020? Am I overestimating modern technology that is available to armies? Like wtf, don't they have radars that automatically identify planned commercial flights and aircraft type?

Example Occam's Razor scenario:

Iran hastily responds to the assassination by launching symbolic strikes at Erbil airbase. The intent is to show their own citizens that they won't accept American aggression but a combination of internal public dissent and a legitimate concern that Trump is crazy and/or deliberately trying to start a proper full scale war — makes them cautious. So Iranian plan is highly visible action with no casualties intended.

as it executes the strike it activates hasty contingency for reciprocal action from the US because the fear is that Trump is looking for an excuse to actually invade or attack the Nation.

the contingency has inadequate and confusing scenarios for air traffic and air defense.

an anti air missile unit is told that while unlikely a us bombing or missile strike is nonetheless very plausible and Tehran and infrastructure including airports are viable targets

it's even possible that ironically— air traffic was allowed to continue to act as a shield because America wouldn't risk international casualties — that unit is given faulty or inadequate information about safe or permitted transponder and flight id for inbound and outbound civilian traffic - and that anything not on a list or pinging transponder correctly may be hostile munitions or aircraft retaliating for erbil as a pretense or excuse for Gulf War III (or simply an incompetent or panicky unit commander with a hair trigger fucks up)

If we dump Occam in favor of low intensity tinfoil headgear: it's even possible that an internal or external saboteur created the mistake scenario for its own ends- a hawkish Iranian military leader or belligerent nation

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another criminal attack, hopefully people will be punished to the full extent, rather than the MH17 debacle that got swept under the carpet.

If there is anything to learn from this it's that super powers need to stop running proxy quasi-wars and airlines need to take these quasi-wars more seriously and stop over flying conflict zones.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IRAN: Let us blame the people doing literally everything they're supposed to do as civilians despite our gross incompetence.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
thats in there to take pressure off them, it doesn't make them less accountable but they earn sympathy points from sympathetic ears.

whatever, its already impressive they admitted they shot it down. in a fake news era no less.

It's absolute bs designed to blame the pilots when in fact it's their own fucking fault.

Also this bs about war crimes is some hot garbage. Does Assad get a pass for throwing gas on civilians stuck with his enemies?

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
It's like breaking into someone's house in the night and loudly murdering their dog, and then being surprised when they accidentally shoot the postman in the morning

No one is clean in this situation except the people on that plane

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
thats in there to take pressure off them, it doesn't make them less accountable but they earn sympathy points from sympathetic ears.

whatever, its already impressive they admitted they shot it down. in a fake news era no less.

I can hate Trump while simultaneously not treating Iran's bullshit with kid gloves. Why can't you?

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
It's absolute bs designed to blame the pilots when in fact it's their own fucking fault.

Also this bs about war crimes is some hot garbage. Does Assad get a pass for throwing gas on civilians stuck with his enemies?

we'll see how Iran responds in the coming weeks - in terms of reparations and prosecution. they're very much in the business of outsourcing their dirty business to proxies, so i'm curious to see how they'll handle this direct dilemma.

Oh I guess I missed that, well damn.

their chief aviation officer said it was "technically impossible" that such a thing happens. fucking farce

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
It's like breaking into someone's house in the night and loudly murdering their dog, and then being surprised when they accidentally shoot the postman in the morning

No one is clean in this situation except the people on that plane

Iran is not a distressed person in the aftermath of a violent assault. It is a nation-state. Iran could have suspended flights in preparation for war, but did not. Iran shot down a flight that literally took off from their own international airport on a predetermined route.

If Iran was worried about U.S retaliation, they should have suspended flights to prevent risk of civilian casualties.

Nov 1, 2017
So if you don't agree with someone you just put them on ignore? So you can just create a bubble of like minded individuals and weed out any other opinions? How could this possibly be a healthy way to foster discussion on a discussion forum.
I don't block people I disagree with. I block people I vehemently disagree with. That's the whole point of the ignore feature.

You can use adblock to hide all of their posts, just add www.resetera.com##[data-author=USERNAME] to your filter.
You're a lifesaver. Might not work on mobile, but it'll do for desktop at least.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Whether you realize it or not, your posts are basically apologism for American militarism using right wing talking points.

The dude's record is an irrelevant part of the discussion here
As is Iran's human rights record.

Yet you keep bringing these things up
Yeah, I'm not. American militarism didn't shot down this plane, Iran's militarism and lack of basic care did.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
MH17 had some key differences. One, it was mid-flight, two, Russia could always attempt to blame the rebel forces or fuck they tried blaming Ukraine. No dice here.

Here the plane took off from their own fucking airport and went down 30 seconds in over a heavily populated zone. You have pictures, videos of the missile being fired at the plane.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
But America is also at fault for setting tensions so high.

And Iran is at fault for propagating decades of sectarian violence in the region
And the Americans are at fault at their foreign policy in the Middle East

etc

we can do this forever. there's no point in assigning blame to the tertiary entities, because nobody is clean in this mess.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018

Day of the Iranian missile retaliation (hours below the Ukrainian flight crashed), the FAA moved to ban U.S airlines flying above Iraq, Iran, the Gulf of Oman, and the Persian Gulf. Prior to that, they had banned flights over Iraq below a certain height, and banned flights over the area Iran downed a drone a few months ago.

How can any of you defend Iran over this when the U.S, who arguably owns whatever airspace it wants should it need to, goes ahead and bans flights.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
But America is also at fault for setting tensions so high.
So we are just not going to agree, because "high tensions" didn't shot that plane down. A basic failure of proper procedure and care did.

No matter the tension, this shouldn't have happened. There are any number of steps that should have been taken to prevent this. This is an incredible operational failure of Iran's anti-air system.

Nov 1, 2017
And Iran is at fault for propagating decades of sectarian violence in the region
And the Americans are at fault at their foreign policy in the Middle East

etc

we can do this forever. there's no point in assigning blame to the tertiary entities, because nobody is clean in this mess.
What I'm trying to get at is blaming the Iran government 100% ignores everything surrounding the situation, which some of us don't seem to understand. But yes, it does seem we're going in circles.

Last edited:

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
So we are just not going to agree, because "high tensions" didn't shot that plane down. A basic failure of proper procedure and care did.

No matter the tension, this shouldn't have happened. There are any number of steps that should have been taken to prevent this. This is an incredible operational failure of Iran's anti-air system.
And Iran admits it was shot down because of altitude and trajectory towards a sensitive military base. That means it would have been shot down regardless of tensions unless tensions made the pilot and airline choose that course.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Yes. That was embarrassing , to be honest. The timing was very hard to ignore.

I was going to post in the last thread, and just say that none of us have the details, but my own gut feeling was Occam's Razor: an accidental shooting during heightened tensions, but then I didn't want to be dogpiled, because it's such an Era thing to do.