• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
When did the string of events start? Do tell.

a21efaa6-e04f-48c7-ba66-5e6b950f5271-010720-Iraq-ROCKET-ATTACKS.png

Oct 25, 2017
The Iranian government isn't worth staning for.
Why can't you approach this in a more measured way? Aren't you a mod? You don't see people accusing you of staning for Trump, right? Consider that people look at a tragic mistake differently than a concerted and deliberate decision to attack. The environment in which that mistake occurs matters a lot, both in terms of systemic failures and the fog of war. If you disagree, fine. But maybe you don't have to challenge each person that dares post something different.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, Trump created the environment but everything about this was within the control of Iran. They could have grounded flights, they didn't. They could have NOT ignored the plane's IFF signal, they did. They could have erred on the side of caution and NOT pushed the button to fire, but yet they did.

This is 100% Iran's fault, and no one elses.

There were at least 3 or 4 points where someone took a look at the situation, examined all of the information, and made the wrong choice each time.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
With Isaac and Ishmael.
Don't you think it's a bit shortsighted to discount all recent history? I feel like if you're boiling things down to that degree, to literal Abrahamic lore you're never going to be able to solve or have a conversation about anything of consequence.

Jun 20, 2019
I think that's his point.
Kind of a strange point to make when you're trying to say it started at one specific point and no other (when Iran carried out retaliatory strikes against bases where US troops are stationed). In fact, the argument that there is no specific point that started this chain of events perfectly undercuts the "Iran is 100% culpable" point of view because it dissolves the notion of sole culpability.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
That poll is seriously depressing. So many people willing to let the US off the hook for escalating the tension that led to the tragedy.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Nah you don't get to erase involvement from America that constantly escalated tensions with Iran for little to no reason.
You act as if putting the blame where it's supposed to be is going to make people forget about America's involvement there. You can have 2 conversations. Why the need to just jump into a thread about IRAN ADMITTING THEY SHOT DOWN THE PLANE IN ERROR to say, "Trump has blood on his hands!" It makes no sense other than to shift some blame to Trump when even Iran admits it was them. At a certain point, it does appear as downplaying Iran's incompetence and role in this because, "They wouldn't have done it if America was there", but guess what? They wouldn't have done it if they weren't incompetent.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Why can't you approach this in a more measured way? Aren't you a mod? You don't see people accusing you of staning for Trump, right? Consider that people look at a tragic mistake differently than a concerted and deliberate decision to attack. The environment in which that mistake occurs matters a lot, both in terms of systemic failures and the fog of war. If you disagree, fine. But maybe you don't have to challenge each person that dares post something different.
I'm saying this was a monumental fuckup that Iran's government and military deserves the blame for. There are no reasonable mitigating circumstances. This should not have happened.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Don't you think it's a bit shortsighted to discount all recent history? I feel like if you're boiling things down to that degree, to literal Abrahamic lore you're never going to be able to solve or have a conversation about anything of consequence.
We're talking about who shot down a plane. The causes of that are very clear.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
RIP, and I was in the bandwagon of non-believers who thought that mechanical issue claim by Iran was total bulltshit, but wanted to remain in silent till further investigation took place.

Now, Fuck Iran, Fuck Trump, Fuck war.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
There's a time to discuss the events of escalation in the region, but this is a country shooting down a passenger plane leaving their capital's airport. No one is forbidding the discussions of America's imperialism in the region, but that's not about this. This is about Iran shooting down a passenger plane. Blaming Iran doesn't remove or ignore the actions of the United States, but going, "Trump has blood on his hands" does shed some blame from Iran which is 100% wrong and no one should be doing that.
If Soleimani hadn't been assassinated, the plane almost certainly wouldn't have been shot down. It's really that simple. Yet it's 100% Iran's fault, Trump has no blood on his hands, and you're not ignoring the actions of the United States in these assessments?

Either they both have blood on their hands (and neither one takes away from the other), or only one of them has blood on their hands. I say they both do.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
You act as if putting the blame where it's supposed to be is going to make people forget about America's involvement there. You can have 2 conversations. Why the need to just jump into a thread about IRAN ADMITTING THEY SHOT DOWN THE PLANE IN ERROR to say, "Trump has blood on his hands!" It makes no sense other than to shift some blame to Trump when even Iran admits it was them. At a certain point, it does appear as downplaying Iran's incompetence and role in this because, "They wouldn't have done it if America was there", but guess what? They wouldn't have done it if they weren't incompetent.
Its possible to have both conversations at the same time. The problem is since America is culpable for the unnecessary escalations since they current administration decided to voluntarily rip up the nuclear deal and assign further sanctions on it.

There need to be other governments to place pressure on Iran and Iran admitting its mistake is a decent first step for them. But America isn't in a situation to enforce anything and I don't know who else to enforce it.

Might I remind you we're currently an invading force in Iraq.

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
RIP to all those who perished on the flight.

I hope the victims family members are able find peace in these difficult times and hope they are able to find some sort of justice.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile

A militia is responsible for attacking US, US kills an Iranian General.

No matter how much "backed by Iran" means, the US killing Soleimani is the stupidest decision.

The President of Iran:

Hassan Rouhani @HassanRouhani

Armed Forces' internal investigation has concluded that regrettably missiles fired due to human error caused the horrific crash of the Ukrainian plane & death of 176 innocent people.
Investigations continue to identify & prosecute this great tragedy & unforgivable mistake. #PS752

11:40 PM - Jan 10, 2020

Hassan Rouhani @HassanRouhani

The Islamic Republic of Iran deeply regrets this disastrous mistake.

My thoughts and prayers go to all the mourning families. I offer my sincerest condolences. https://twitter.com/HassanRouhani/status/1215856039997984768 …

11:43 PM - Jan 10, 2020

He actually said it.

This plane was shot down because of a monumental and unprecedented failure of Iran's government and military. No one else picked the time of their military action, the method, ran their air control system, fired this missile, etc.

This is on them.

Yes, this is on them.

Context isn't. That's the problem. If the US didn't kill Soleimani, this wouldn't be happening. Could have happen in another context? Maybe, it doesn't change anything

Riddler

Oct 25, 2017
This happened because Trump wanted his " We got him" moment moving into the election year. Past presidents found killing him wasn't worth it.

Oh yeah if this was a fight between two people and causing a death of a random third person both would be guilty.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I can only hope that this will lead to a deescalation of tensions. Terrible tragedy.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Probably because nearly a third of the passengers were Canadians?
I'm aware of the Canadian victims, but it doesn't mean that the guy's opinion has more merit because he's Canadian.

Let's not act like civilian planes haven't been used to attack nations either.
Are you for real

That poll is seriously depressing. So many people willing to let the US off the hook for escalating the tension that led to the tragedy.
It's disingenuous to say that correctly placing the blame on the Iranian regime, who shot a plane leaving their own airport and is known to be oppressive and has actually lied about what happened, means that we suddenly forget who escalated the tension.

If I said the poll was depressing because "way too many people leave Iran off the hook", how would you respond?

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
If Soleimani hadn't been assassinated, the plane almost certainly wouldn't have been shot down. It's really that simple. Yet it's 100% Iran's fault, Trump has no blood on his hands, and you're not ignoring the actions of the United States in these assessments?
And if Soleimani hadn't been a mass murderer, he wouldn't have been assassinated.

That's why going down this path is pointless when it comes to the plane, because it never ends. The geopolitical situation didn't shot down the plane, a massive failure of the Iranian command and control system did.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I mean.. if Iran shot them down then obviously they bear more responsibility. That said of course US bears responsibility for needless and irresponsible escalation.

What a senseless tragedy

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
And if Soleimani hadn't been a mass murderer, he wouldn't have been assassinated.

That's why going down this path is pointless when it comes to the plane, because it never ends. The geopolitical situation didn't shot down the plane, a massive failure of the Iranian command and control system did.

Way too simplistic Matt. The US has assassinated plenty non mass murderers. Don't let's be silly.

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of a strange point to make when you're trying to say it started at one specific point and no other (when Iran carried out retaliatory strikes against bases where US troops are stationed). In fact, the argument that there is no specific point that started this chain of events perfectly undercuts the "Iran is 100% culpable" point of view because it dissolves the notion of sole culpability.
That's not what's been said. What's been said is faulting the party that actually launched the missile. I see two sides arguing:
Side 1: Sharing blame with Trump/US because they escalated the situation.
Side 2: Blaming only Iran because they launched the missile and you can't pinpoint an exact start of the escalation.
I mean where did it start? The assassination? The Embassy attack? The missile launch from the US? The killing of the contractor and Iraqi soldiers?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017

Either they both have blood on their hands (and neither one takes away from the other), or only one of them has blood on their hands. I say they both do.

Why would I care what the United States did prior? The plane LEAVES the capital of fucking Iran and is shot down by fucking Iran because of their incompetence. It doesn't matter if America escalated tensions with Iran. It literally DOES NOT MATTER. If you are in high tensions with another country and you shoot down a plane that LEAVES your capital's airport then you are 100% to fucking blame.

Like, the plane wasn't even coming from outside Iran. IT WAS LITERALLY PARKED IN THEIR AIRPORT AND THEN TOOK OFF. You have to be an incompetent fucking mess to go, "Yep, that plane that was at the airport is going to bomb us now."

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Do you genuinely believe they wouldn't execute someone who mistakenly killed a few hundred people of they weren't gay?
I don't know if they will execute a man for shooting down this plane, but they absolutely would execute the same man for being gay.
I don't understand why you brought up Isaac and Ishmael then I guess? What am I missing here because that went over my head.
To illustrate that trying to place the blame anywhere but the actual systems that failed these people is a pointless exercise.
A militia is responsible for attacking US, US kills an Iranian General.

No matter how much "backed by Iran" means, the US killing Soleimani is the stupidest decision.

He actually said it.

Yes, this is on them.

Context isn't. That's the problem. If the US didn't kill Soleimani, this wouldn't be happening. Could have happen in another context? Maybe, it doesn't change anything
And again, if Soleimani didn't kill Americans, then he wouldn't be killed, and on and on. It's so pointless.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Oh, I get what you're saying. I disagree with that, because there are certain things that can turn the dial up or down significantly, and I think you can look at incidents both in isolation and as a whole and determine at least within some moral framework who morally made a right or wrong call. It would be a ton of work to study history to that degree, I can't say I have, but I don't think most people refrain from judgment just because you can get stuck in a seemingly endless loop of passing blame, it doesn't seem to be how people generally come to conclusions.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is only true if you ignore the entire history of American Imperialism. Someone being good or bad has no weight whatsoever on imperialist designs. If it did, the US would have bombed the shit of Saudi Arabia already. Or they would have regime changed the fuck out of Israel. Soleimani was killed because the war hawks in Washington saw him as a strong adversary they wanted out of the board and also as a way to escalate the situation with Iran. Any other read of the situation is either delusional or neoliberal poppycock.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
It wasn't a joke, Iran executes gay people.
What does this have to do with the airliner being shot down?
I don't know if they will execute a man for shooting down this plane, but they absolutely would execute the same man for being gay.
You of all people should know that in a sensitive thread, you're bringing off topic shit into it. What does this have to do with the deaths of innocent people on this airliner?

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Why would I care what the United States did prior? The plane LEAVES the capital of fucking Iran and is shot down by fucking Iran because of their incompetence. It doesn't matter if America escalated tensions with Iran. It literally DOES NOT MATTER. If you are in high tensions with another country and you shoot down a plane that LEAVES your capital's airport then you are 100% to fucking blame.

Like, the plane wasn't even coming from outside Iran. IT WAS LITERALLY PARKED IN THEIR AIRPORT AND THEN TOOK OFF. You have to be an incompetent fucking mess to go, "Yep, that plane that was at the airport is going to bomb us now."
I can attest that I personally am not saying Iran is not 100% to blame. And if you read and understood what several other posters are typing they are saying about the same thing.

Trump is simultaneously also responsible for bringing Iran into this situation. More than one person can be responsible for a situation arriving to where it was possible for 200 civilians to be senselessly murdered.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
while Trump is guilty of the assassination and causing a reaction this is on Iran it's a terrible mistake that shouldn't be made and could've been avoided,

admitting is far better than carrying on with the coverup at least.

Magneton

Banned
Jul 31, 2018
The precise reason why so many are opposed to rash military actions is because of the unintended series of events they can instigate. Every decision to escalate heightens the odds of tragedy, purposeful or otherwise. That is why I believe the U.S. shares the blame in this tragedy.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
Understanding that in this context, the situation has US involvement at the heart of it =/= Absolving Iran.

It's not rocket science.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
This is only true if you ignore the entire history of American Imperialism. Someone being good or bad has no weight whatsoever on imperialist designs. If it did, the US would have bombed the shit of Saudi Arabia already. Or they would have regime changed the fuck out of Israel. Soleimani was killed because the war hawks in Washington saw him as a strong adversary they wanted out of the board and also as a way to escalate the situation with Iran. Any other read of the situation is either delusional or neoliberal poppycock.
Please stop defending mass murderers. Soleimani wasn't killed for being strong, he was killed because he killed Americans.
What does this have to do with the airliner being shot down?

You of all people should know that in a sensitive thread, you're bringing off topic shit into it. What does this have to do with the deaths of innocent people on this airliner?
I don't see how an example of the systemic devaluing of human life by the Iranian government isn't relevant to a thread about their lack of adequate care for human life.