• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

winjet81

Oct 27, 2017
Shooting down planes in their own backyard... their own populace should be very worried for their safety if Iran's 'peaceful' nuclear ambitions come to fruition.

What a clown-show.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Who is shifting blame away from Iran?

It's scary how some people shift blame away from Trump when he unnecessarily and illegally carried out an assassination that led to this string of disastrous events.
And he is being blamed for that assassination. Is Iran being blamed for it for their participation in the events that eventually led to his death? No. It's not like the United States decided to one day kill this guy, there was a chain of events as well. Stop blaming the chain for these specific events.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Who is shifting blame away from Iran?

It's scary how some people shift blame away from Trump when he unnecessarily and illegally carried out an assassination that led to this string of disastrous events.
Or you could blame Iran for orchestrating an attack on our embassy and murdering a US civilian.

And so on and so on and so on. It's pointless to go down that path.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
The President of Iran:

Hassan Rouhani @HassanRouhani

Armed Forces' internal investigation has concluded that regrettably missiles fired due to human error caused the horrific crash of the Ukrainian plane & death of 176 innocent people.
Investigations continue to identify & prosecute this great tragedy & unforgivable mistake. #PS752

11:40 PM - Jan 10, 2020

Hassan Rouhani @HassanRouhani

The Islamic Republic of Iran deeply regrets this disastrous mistake.

My thoughts and prayers go to all the mourning families. I offer my sincerest condolences. https://twitter.com/HassanRouhani/status/1215856039997984768 …

11:43 PM - Jan 10, 2020

It is crazy how Twitter has become the major platform for nation leaders to send this kind of information.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
There's no "the main culpability lies with Iran, it's not equal, but the US's blame in what happened is by no means small" option.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Or admitting they fucked up instead of doubling and thrilling down on lies.
That's kind of where my opinion is at.
If they want to de-escalate, admit wrong doing now, pursue prosecution and show compassion that is good with me. If they follow this up by returning the bodies of the dead to their home nations quickly too that would reinforce a favourable view. It's a terrible situation that needs to be made better.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
JFC...they shot down a civilian airliner minutes after it took off from an international airport from the largest city (and capital) of their own nation. They didn't ground flights when they knew they were firing missiles and there existed the possibility of retaliation. They sought to warn Iraq and the US they were firing missiles to minimize/prevent casualties at their intended targets but somehow didn't think to safeguard their own nation. This is a colossal screw up on Iran's part that they could have prevented in so many ways.

soul

Oct 27, 2017
This is 100% on Iran. I don't get how some of you blame the Trump admin on this.

I mean, how the hell can you not identify that the origin of the plane you are shooting is from your own airport?

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
I am pretty shocked Iran admitted this. They did everything to try and clumsily cover it up and look mega-guilty in the process. I would have just kept denying it if I were them.

In less than what, two days, this whole story turned from "America assassinated a general on foreign soil" to "Iranians shoot down a civilian airliner and tried to cover it up". Iran could not have handled this any worse.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
And he is being blamed for that assassination. Is Iran being blamed for it for their participation in the events that eventually led to his death? No. It's not like the United States decided to one day kill this guy, there was a chain of events as well. Stop blaming the chain for these specific events.

Problem is the chain will always end at American imperialism when it comes to pretty much half of the fucked up geopolitical conflicts in the world today.

Even Iran in 2020 is effectively America's creation from overthrowing their legally elected president in the 50's.

My beef is that its easy to pop in here and say, Iran sucks. Lets have 300 replies saying the same thing. i mean duh, they killed 200 people on a fucking airplane. Even the 'defenders' here hate them

But to say we just need to focus on today's events, or the vague 'there were incidents before trump', ensures shit like this will happen again. Because even if Iran didn't shoot down that airplane, civilian death was already in the cards with the recent attacks

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
As a Canadian, this gets a big nope from me. America has blood of these passengers on its hands too.
As a Canadian, this is a bad take and it's all Iran's fault, and I also don't know what the hell being a Canadian has anything to do with this matter

Reminder: they shot a civilian plane leaving their own airport

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
It's like a swatting situation turned deadly.

Both the one who fired the shot and the one who initiated the conflict are culpable. Equally? Debatable, but it's the closest poll option so I'm picking it.

soul

Oct 27, 2017
I am pretty shocked Iran admitted this. They did everything to try and clumsily cover it up and look mega-guilty in the process. I would have just kept denying it if I were them.

In less than what, two days, this whole story turned from "America assassinated a general on foreign soil" to "Iranians shoot down a civilian airliner and tried to cover it up". Iran could not have handled this any worse.

They admitted it after being cornered. If the US and allied nations didn't have proof they would have never admitted it (i.e, same way Russia never admitted anything)

Nov 1, 2017
If people are assigning blame, I think the airline deserves some as well.
Flying out of a potential warzone has risks which unfortunately manifested.

No, the entire blame should go to Iran Civil Aviation Organization for allowing commercial airplanes to operate during heightened tensions.

There should be a fucking international law banning commercial operations above a nation that is in the brink of war. Including the downing of Malaysian airlines MH17, We lost 474 innocent lives to incompetence.

Seriously, there is a precedent too. Both India and Pakistan closed their airspace to commercial aircraft during last year tensions.

An airspace closure in Pakistan and parts of Northern India disrupted flight schedules, forcing airlines to cancel or divert some flights, after the south Asian nations engaged in fighter-jet combat in an escalating security situation.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like it was a few days late. Perhaps it only felt like that because some in the government were initially skeptical of believing US reports outright which made it worse when Canada corroborated the statements. Nobody should have said anything beyond they were investigating
I think it's more that there's so much news and craziness happening so fast that every day feels like weeks ago.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
This is on Trump as much as it's on Iran.
If one of our soldiers kills a non-combatant in cold blood, we hold them responsible. We realize that the military and war can break people down psychologically, but we also realize that at some point most responsibility lies with the person who pulled the trigger. They had a duty to be sure of their target, it's a total failure of whatever system they have in place to determine that, and they failed with such magnitude they targeted a plane that took off from their own airport. I do think Trump shares culpability for destabilizing things to the degree they were that day, a week earlier and this likely would not have happened, but I think that it was able to happen at all points to a huge degree of irresponsibility on their part giving them the lions share of the blame.

But, it's not like it's something that can be objectively measured, who gets what portion of blame, so I understand where you are coming from.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
If President Fuck Knuckle of the United States didn't assasinate a foreign military leader to bribe the politicians of the United States so he doesn't get impeached, none of this shit would have happened. So no no one should "fucking stop with this" and it's not 100% on Iran.

Thank you. Fuck outta here with that. He cannot be disassociated from this hot mess. Everyone knows why tensions were so high here. Everybody.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Problem is the chain will always end at American imperialism when it comes to pretty much half of the fucked up geopolitical conflicts in the world today.

Even Iran in 2020 is effectively America's creation from overthrowing their legally elected president in the 50's.

My beef is that its easy to pop in here and say, Iran sucks. Lets have 300 replies saying the same thing. i mean duh, they killed 200 people on a fucking airplane. Even the 'defenders' here hate them

But to say we just need to focus on today's events, or the vague 'there were incidents before trump', ensures shit like this will happen again. Because even if Iran didn't shoot down that airplane, civilian death was already in the cards with the recent attacks
There's a time to discuss the events of escalation in the region, but this is a country shooting down a passenger plane leaving their capital's airport. No one is forbidding the discussions of America's imperialism in the region, but that's not about this. This is about Iran shooting down a passenger plane. Blaming Iran doesn't remove or ignore the actions of the United States, but going, "Trump has blood on his hands" does shed some blame from Iran which is 100% wrong and no one should be doing that.

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
This is 100% on Iran. I don't get how some of you blame the Trump admin on this.

I mean, how the hell can you not identify that the origin of the plane you are shooting is from your own airport?
Which is why I didn't normally jump to the conclusion it was a middle strike, it would be so idiotic to be firing at airplanes leaving your own airport. Well they are that incompetent apparently.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If President Fuck Knuckle of the United States didn't assasinate a foreign military leader to bribe the politicians of the United States so he doesn't get impeached, none of this shit would have happened. So no no one should "fucking stop with this" and it's not 100% on Iran.
This makes no sense. He was already impeached.

unknownspectator

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The analogy you're looking for is that an arsonist sets a night club on fire. As people attempt to flee the burning club, the staff block a fire exit and get a bunch of people killed.

Do you absolve the arsonist of all wrongdoing in that case? Of course not, but you obviously don't ignore that people in charge of things are supposed to be trained to not make stupid decisions under panic.

perfect analogy.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
As a Canadian, this is a bad take and it's all Iran's fault, and I also don't know what the hell being a Canadian has anything to do with this matter

Reminder: they shot a civilian plane leaving their own airport

Probably because nearly a third of the passengers were Canadians?

Let's not act like civilian planes haven't been used to attack nations either.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
There's a time to discuss the events of escalation in the region, but this is a country shooting down a passenger plane leaving their capital's airport. No one is forbidding the discussions of America's imperialism in the region, but that's not about this. This is about Iran shooting down a passenger plane. Blaming Iran doesn't remove or ignore the actions of the United States, but going, "Trump has blood on his hands" does shed some blame from Iran which is 100% wrong and no one should be doing that.
Nah you don't get to erase involvement from America that constantly escalated tensions with Iran for little to no reason.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Nah you don't get to erase involvement from America that constantly escalated tensions with Iran for little to no reason.
Stop painting Iran as a bystander in all this. They are not innocent in this conflict.

There are bad people making bad decisions everywhere in this, and the people of the Middle East paying for it.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate Trump's guts, but the Iranian military had all the time to prep and decide on their military actions here and they fucked it up royally by destroying a civilian plane in their very own capitol. Like come on. Someone said it best earlier: If you blame the US fully for a similar incident in 1988 (which you should), why aren't you blaming the proper people here? Ya'll got some warped sense of view to twist it any other way.