• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Did that flight take off from a US airport?

Flight 655 was a HUGE fuckup and tragedy, but it actually isn't in the same level of failure as this. There were effectively double the safeguards to prevent this from happening.

It's the same fucking thing. They both got trigger happy and shot civilian airliners down. The US ship just assumed the airliner was an attacking F14 even though the airliner's IFF was clearly of a civilian aircraft which just took off 7 minutes prior from a civilian airport.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The President of Iran:

Hassan Rouhani @HassanRouhani

Armed Forces' internal investigation has concluded that regrettably missiles fired due to human error caused the horrific crash of the Ukrainian plane & death of 176 innocent people.
Investigations continue to identify & prosecute this great tragedy & unforgivable mistake. #PS752

11:40 PM - Jan 10, 2020

Hassan Rouhani @HassanRouhani

The Islamic Republic of Iran deeply regrets this disastrous mistake.

My thoughts and prayers go to all the mourning families. I offer my sincerest condolences. https://twitter.com/HassanRouhani/status/1215856039997984768 …

11:43 PM - Jan 10, 2020

This is a much better response. Owned up to what happened, didn't try to contextualize it as an inevitability of being on alert, and they didn't call the people that were fucking murdered martyrs.

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When people bring up, "high tensions" and "wartime" it does lessen the impact of how bad Iran is at fault here.

Why did this happen? Iran had poor procedures in place to identify a fucking passenger plane leaving their fucking capital airport. High tensions do not matter (they even state it was shot down due to its altitude and trajectory towards a sensitive military installation so even if low tension times, it would have been shot down).
How did this happen? Iran had poor procedures in place to identify a fucking passenger plane leaving their fucking capital airport. High tensions do not matter (they even state it was shot down due to its altitude and trajectory towards a sensitive military installation so even if low tension times, it would have been shot down).

No it wouldnt have, and they're lieing about that afaik.
Iran is a backwards isolated country, Military theocracy ostracized from most of the world using out dated equipment and with poorly trained soldiers, ride corruption yadda yadda
MH17 was shot down by pro-Russia rebels, not Russia itself.
The crash of the Aer Lingus plane is nowadays not thought to be due to any missile, so that does not belong on this list.
MH17 was shot down by pro-Russia rebels, not Russia itself.
The crash of the Aer Lingus plane is nowadays not thought to be due to any missile, so that does not belong on this list.

The "rebels" were led by Russian Army generals and Colonels, under orders from Moscow.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Man, I can not imagine the terror these people felt as the plane was going down. Makes my stomach turn.
this was my first thought when I saw that news clip that explained the missiles exploded prior to hitting the plane and destroyed it with shrapnel. You'd hope they all died instantly but after hearing that, i don't think so :(((

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It's the same fucking thing. They both got trigger happy and shot civilian airliners down. The US ship just assumed the airliner was an attacking F14 even though the airliner's IFF was clearly of a civilian aircraft which just took off 7 minutes prior from a civilian airport.
Both giant fuck ups, but shooting down a plane as it is taking off from your own airport factually means even more systems needed to fail.

And this is a pretty academic argument, as I would argue 655 was also 100% the US' fault, just like Iran is at fault here.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Terrible incompetence on Iran's part. Part of the blame goes toward the unnecessary military escalation caused by the USA.

This is where I'm falling on this tragedy. An unprecedented, colossal fuckup from Iran, but one that would never have happened if the USA hadn't needlessly provoked them.

My heart goes out to the victims's families. Just an awful, senseless, and heartbreaking way to start 2020, and a grim reminder of how fucked up our world is right now.

Edit: Also, I should add that it's fucking infuriating that Iran lied (and is still lying) about this, and they should not get a pass on it. I hate Trump as much as anyone, and I loathe to think of how he's going to use this tragedy to justify further fuckery, but the dishonesty of Iran is something people SHOULD be pissed about.

Last edited:

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
This is where I'm falling on this tragedy. An unprecedented, colossal fuckup from Iran, but one that would never have happened if the USA hadn't needlessly provoked them.

My heart goes out to the victims's families. Just an awful, senseless, and heartbreaking way to start 2020, and a grim reminder of how fucked up our world is right now.
If you go down the provoked path, that road never ends.

One government shot down this plane.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
That lightning fast talking point shift from "Why would you believe what western intelligence agencies are saying?" to "It's refreshing to see a government being so honest for once?" though...
When you're such a free thinker that you just can't stop carrying water for despotic regimes!

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
i don't get how you can go "skeptical me is surprised a government isn't lying" without actually thinking about why they're cornered into such a response

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Blood on everyone's hands, Iran was just not prepared for the pressure of a possible direct confrontation with the US they may practice and run drills and simulations but when was the last time they had America actually directly confront them, whoever was manning those weapons buckled under the immense pressure.

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
why are we patting iran on the back for their "quick" response when they previously categorically denied any involvement in the crash and said they would withhold the black boxes?
I mean some shitty YouTuber usually gets dragged through the coals much worse when they offer their crappy apologies. I mean this admission and thought and prayers is fucking abysmal.

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
I hate the orange turd as much as the next intelligent person, but this is 100% Iran's fault. US government didn't mistakingly start shooting their own civilian planes after 9/11.

Fucking idiot with the itchy trigger finger holding his hand over the red button did it.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
why are we patting iran on the back for their "quick" response when they previously categorically denied any involvement in the crash and said they would withhold the black boxes?
It's worth noting that it took eight years for the US to settle out of court for Iran Air Flight 655, and they've to this day not accepted culpability or apologised.

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blood on everyone's hands, Iran was just not prepared for the pressure of a possible direct confrontation with the US they may practice and run drills and simulations but when was the last time they had America actually directly confront them, whoever was manning those weapons buckled under the immense pressure.

Think how different the world would be, it still existed, if a different guy was on Stanislav's station that day.

This guy single handledly prevented a nuclear war. By not launching missiles. Even though his system reported American missiles heading towards Russia.

KCS

Oct 27, 2017

Pretty much. Once footage of litterally the instance where missiles shot the plane down came out it would be idiotic to keep denying it.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
It's worth noting that it took eight years for the US to settle out of court for Iran Air Flight 655, and they've to this day not accepted culpability or apologised.

if you want to make us the litmus test for an easy out then good on you i guess. but don;t think for a moment that if iran could do the same they wouldn't have

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
If you go down the provoked path, that road never ends.

One government shot down this plane.

You do have a point there. What I'm most angry with Iran about though (as I edited in my post above before reading your response), is the attempted cover up and continuing dishonesty.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Both giant fuck ups, but shooting down a plane as it is taking off from your own airport factually means even more systems needed to fail.

And this is a pretty academic argument, as I would argue 655 was also 100% the US' fault, just like Iran is at fault here.
Yeah I'm not really arguing that, they're both 100% at their own fault for letting these happen. But both are fuckups nonetheless and the end result is the same.

Hope they do thorough investigation and we get to know what really happened. I wonder if the fact that the Ukrainian airline flight was delayed an hour might have contributed to this shoot down :/

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
If people are assigning blame, I think the airline deserves some as well.
Flying out of a potential warzone has risks which unfortunately manifested.

Ortix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No it wouldnt have, and they're lieing about that afaik.
Iran is a backwards isolated country, Military theocracy ostracized from most of the world using out dated equipment and with poorly trained soldiers, ride corruption yadda yadda

The "rebels" were led by Russian Army generals and Colonels, under orders from Moscow.

Yes, the point was that this was not a well-organised military but rebels in a war zone with no control/information about the plane traffic in the area. I think it's quite obvious that Iran's fuck ups here are of a much higher order of magnitude.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Now imagine nuclear weapons in the hands of these people...
if Iran were nuclear the US wouldn't be fucking with their sovereignty and assassinating their general in a friendly country while he had a diplomatic passport.

Looking at countries the US fucks with versus countries that the US doesn't fuck with its shown that having the capability to own or produce a nuclear weapon makes you part of the latter.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Think how different the world would be, it still existed, if a different guy was on Stanislav's station that day.

This guy single handledly prevented a nuclear war. By not launching missiles. Even though his system reported American missiles heading towards Russia.

All in all both countries got out of the situation with blood on their hands and black eyes each. The only reason things haven't escalated and Iran felt safe admitting it all, beside all the evidence and being called out, is that it cost no American lives, it's a shit thing to think but it's the only reason Trump isn't going to give much fucks about it beyond the additional sanctions it's imposed.