• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
It doesn't matter what Trump did. Iran shot it down. Not Trump. It's like being in a fight and then punching a bypasser then blaming it on the guy you're fighting with. Iran is at 100% at fault, and every time people say, "Fuck Trump for starting this" it gives the impression you're not really putting the blame on Iran. They did this. Have your issues with Trump and the United States but THEY DID NOT DO THIS.

They lead to it.

The US is partially responsible for creating Al Qaeda and ISIS by arming rebels in Afghanistan and invading Iraq and knocking over the government. Just because they didnt directly form those groups doesnt absolve them of indirect blame. That's what we're talking about in this case, indirect blame and unintended consequences by actions done on a whim without any regard for the butterfly effect.

Some fool in iran shot down the plane and its on iran for not grounding flights during a time of high alert, so they clearly deserve a majority of the blame. but the US and Trump does deserve some portion of the blame

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How can you possibly disassociate Trump from this? Obviously tensions are and have been higher since his senseless actions.

Because it sounds childish to go out of ones way to make sure Trump gets shit on, and there was a fair degree of hand waving making it seem like Iran didn't have much culpability in this.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
I would hope this kinda deescalates the situation, but who am I kidding

Am I misremembering the timeline or isn't this what actually made Iran de-escalate?

Because didn't they go "YEAH UH, THATS OUR RETALIATION AND WE DONT WANT ANY MORE ESCALATION NOW PLS LEAVE US ALONE KTHNX" like immediately after this happened?

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't matter what Trump did. Iran shot it down. Not Trump. It's like being in a fight and then punching a bypasser then blaming it on the guy you're fighting with. Iran is at 100% at fault, and every time people say, "Fuck Trump for starting this" it gives the impression you're not really putting the blame on Iran. They did this. Have your issues with Trump and the United States but THEY DID NOT DO THIS.

Let me give what I think is a better analogy.

You get sucker punched going home one night by a guy in a green hoodie.

Pissed off, you lay in wait the next day watching for him. You see a guy in a green hoodie and sucker punch him back, only to realize that it wasn't your assailant.

In essence, you committed battery and that's entirely on you. But, the circumstance for this to happen in the first place were only occurring because you got sucker punched first.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iranian foreign minister:

Javad Zarif @JZarif

A sad day. Preliminary conclusions of internal investigation by Armed Forces:

Human error at time of crisis caused by US adventurism led to disaster

Our profound regrets, apologies and condolences to our people, to the families of all victims, and to other affected nations.​

11:05 PM - Jan 10, 2020

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
yup. America's shot down commercial aircraft too under similar circumstances murdering hundreds.

Iran fucked up, but lets not act like the logical conclusion to that missile launch wasn't eventuallly going to be senseless civilian death.
Obviously Iran is at fault. But you know if tensions weren't so high that it almost surely wouldnt have happened.

OP
OP
FriskyCanuck

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017

Pissed off, you lay in wait the next day watching for him. You see a guy in a green hoodie and sucker punch him back, only to realize that it wasn't your assailant.

In essence, you committed battery and that's entirely on you. But, the circumstance for this to happen in the first place were only occurring because you got sucker punched first.
First green hoodie guy has no fault in second green hoodie guy being punched on this scenario though. This is a bad example, or maybe its a good one.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Iranian foreign minister:

Javad Zarif @JZarif

A sad day. Preliminary conclusions of internal investigation by Armed Forces:

Human error at time of crisis caused by US adventurism led to disaster

Our profound regrets, apologies and condolences to our people, to the families of all victims, and to other affected nations.

11:05 PM - Jan 10, 2020

I'm sure the broken heart emoji makes the families feel better

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
It was obvious from the get go.

Regardless of who did it and why, 150+ people lost their lives....fuck war and conflict.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
now to top it off iran is gonna give a medal to the guy in charge of shooting down the airliner, like the US did with the vincennes captain after the US shot down the iranian jet. history repeats itself.

Marin-Lune

Oct 27, 2017
If President Fuck Knuckle of the United States didn't assasinate a foreign military leader to bribe the politicians of the United States so he doesn't get impeached, none of this shit would have happened. So no no one should "fucking stop with this" and it's not 100% on Iran.
If you want to go down that road of ifs and whens, blame it on the American people for electing the fuckwit in first place. Nah, it's Iran's fault, period, and surprisingly enough they're now admitting guilt.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Because it sounds childish to go out of ones way to make sure Trump gets shit on, and there was a fair degree of hand waving making it seem like Iran didn't have much culpability in this.
Nobody hand waved Iran's culpability. This was pointed out repeatedly in the last thread and you ignore it to just shit on anybody who thinks Trump deserves some blame for this. It's a truly bizarre stance.

Finally they admitted it.

I was wondering what was taking so long. It would have been far easier to simply come out with it and apologize...it does nothing to help deescelate tensions and i know they are smart enough to not want to give Trump a reason to beat the war drums even more.

Independent verficiation aside, in the face of multiple countries saying so, its something that never should have happend.

RIP to the Iranians, Canadians and everyone else on the flight. Really fucked.
Finally? I feel like given what they're admitting this was surprisingly quick.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017

It does not matter who started it. Iran shot down the plane. The United States could have put troops along the Iran border and it would still be 100% Iran's fault the plane went down. "High tensions" is not an excuse. It never will be with these things.

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck this fucking mess. RIP to the victims. I am surprised they admitted it. They were caught red handed though. I still blame the orange piece of shit for this.

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we fucking stop with this? This is 100% Iran's fault.

It's a mistake made in the fog of war.

Escalating conflicts, assassinations, covert ops, all of it leads to unforseen consequences.

Nothing is 100% anything.

The Russian separatists never did, did they?

It was the Russian army not "separatists."
Again by mistake.

Doesn't excuse the cover up the Russians tried on it.
Conspiracy theorist believe the Russians story on that one btw. Very frustrating.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't think of a much bigger mistake than shooting down a plane full of innocent people. Their explanation doesn't make much sense by the way. They said they shot it down because it was turning where it shouldn't have and at a suspicious altitude, but from my understanding, the plane didn't turn until after it was hit.

Oct 25, 2017

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Dang, so it really was an accidental shoot down. It's good for them to admit it and apologize for what's happened, and not drag the situation any further or deny it like the Russian and the MH17.

The soldier who pulled the trigger will probably get executed, but they'll need to find out how the chain of command just let this thing happen.

Not sure what's next. Hope they compensate the families of the victims in full. Sucks that this happened, but that's why I hate conflicts like these. The innocents suffer the most.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The mental loops you have to go through to blame Trump for this gross incompetence.

I'm glad they admitted it so the victims families can have some closure.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
It does not matter who started it. Iran shot down the plane. The United States could have put troops along the Iran border and it would still be 100% Iran's fault the plane went down. "High tensions" is not an excuse. It never will be with these things.

I disagree. In wartime friendly fire happens all the time, and this was wartime. Commercial aircraft have gotten shot down by countries, including the US btw, under similar circumstances. Its easy to say Iran fucked up, but we set the scenario up that got us here. So I guess we won? Lol

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Finally? I feel like given what they're admitting this was surprisingly quick.

I feel like it was a few days late. Perhaps it only felt like that because some in the government were initially skeptical of believing US reports outright which made it worse when Canada corroborated the statements. Nobody should have said anything beyond they were investigating

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
As was mentioned before, when every single last thing results in some sort of Trump throwback, the whole hate just gets so diluted it turns into white noise. It is a really inefficient way to direct ones ire.
Maybe to you, and I'm not discounting your opinion or anything but to me, I'm always glad when people speak out against a piece of shit like him.

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't think of a much bigger mistake than shooting down a plane full of innocent people. Their explanation doesn't make much sense by the way. They said they shot it down because it was turning where it shouldn't have and at a suspicious altitude, but from my understanding, the plane didn't turn until after it was hit.

Yeah afaik and I do need to check again, but afaik that's a lie they have added in to save some face.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I disagree. In wartime friendly fire happens all the time, and this was wartime. Commercial aircraft have gotten shot down by countries, including the US btw, under similar circumstances. Its easy to say Iran fucked up, but we set the scenario up that got us here. So I guess we won? Lol
Wartime excuses have been used to basically downplay a lot of shit within war. Justifying shooting down a plane full of non-combatants with "it's wartime" is the laziest, most awful thing ever. Like, it's how people just get over the fact the United States drones civilians because, "hey, it's wartime". No. It doesn't matter.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
This has never happened before because it's an absolutely incredible display of abject failure.

This is on Iran. They fucked up in an incalculable number of ways.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
First green hoodie guy has no fault in second green hoodie guy being punched on this scenario though. This is a bad example, or maybe its a good one.
The more apt anology is person A goes over to person B's neighborhood and person A gets involved in person Bs neighborhood gang fights. Person A starts a fight with person B. In the middle of the fight person B accidentally punches someone that was walking by that they thought were getting into the fight to help person A.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They did try to cover it up until they realized they couldn't. I don't think they deserve much credit for admitting to something that they were caught red handed doing. Of course it's nice to no longer have to deal with those that don't trust any sources that go against their desired outcome.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
And people actually thought it was due to "engine failure". Imagine being that naive...

Considering the timing and current circumstances, why wouldn't this outcome be your initial theory? How could anyone seriously think it was just a coincidence?

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey