• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Model?

• iPhone XS

Votes: 323 33.3%
  • iPhone XS Max

Votes: 495 51.0%
  • iPhone XR

Votes: 153 15.8%

• Total voters

Maven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Earth
The OLED screen is yummy coming from a 6s+

I still have that phone laying around the house and I don't care for it with that screen. I'll just sell it

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My ATT order was delivered today.

Initial thoughts:
  • It's now slower to unlock than TouchID due to the required swipe up. I had assumed that you could disable that, because why wouldn't you be able to? Reading up, it seems you cant? WTF.
  • I really, really miss being able to navigate with one hand. Is there a jesture that replicates the "pull the screen down" from the older iPhones? Desperately needed here.
  • The weight is also bothering me more than I thought it would. Shit feels like a brick compared to my old iPhone 7. How do y'all hold this thing?
  • TrueTone display is awesome though. As is the larger display. But man... I'm currently feeling a bit of buyers remorse.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Face ID is just bad in general. When it works perfectly, it's fine, but honestly I have at least a 20% rate where I'll look at the phone and it will just take a long time to unlock for some reason, or just won't unlock at all and will boot me to pass code. 20% is a LOT when you consider how many times you unlock your phone. Touch ID has restrictions; gloves, wet hands, etc, but it was far more reliable for me, and more flexible in the situations I could do it (I could use it without looking dead ass into my phone, or in bed with my head half buried in a pillow). And honestly, at least I could predict when Touch ID wouldn't work. I know I have gloves on, so I'll go to pass code. Face ID, i end up just looking at my phone like an idiot and waiting, wondering why it isn't unlocking.

I feel like I'm precious about Touch ID the way some people are about headphone jacks (which doesn't bother me at all). I totally believe it works perfectly fine for some people, and they don't miss Touch ID at all, but that just hasn't been my experience.

Oct 27, 2017
My ATT order was delivered today.

Initial thoughts:
  • It's now slower to unlock than TouchID due to the required swipe up. I had assumed that you could disable that, because why wouldn't you be able to? Reading up, it seems you cant? WTF.
  • I really, really miss being able to navigate with one hand. Is there a jesture that replicates the "pull the screen down" from the older iPhones? Desperately needed here.
  • The weight is also bothering me more than I thought it would. Shit feels like a brick compared to my old iPhone 7. How do y'all hold this thing?
  • TrueTone display is awesome though. As is the larger display. But man... I'm currently feeling a bit of buyers remorse.
I assume you mean the XS Max, and yeah, it's stupidly big and heavy. I ruled it out almost immediately as a choice. XR is more manageable but I still find I prefer the 8+.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It would be crazy if the phone just shot into the home screen every time you look at it. There needs to be intent. Swiping up is the intent. With Touch ID, touching the button was the intent. It just happened to do both intent and authentication in the same 1 gesture. It stays one gesture.

As for reachability yes you can swipe down around home bar height or just a tad higher and it will pull the screen down. But you need to turn it on.

I agree that the Xr is hefty. I personally don't like it that way, but my SO actually likes it, coming from a 6s. I think it's because of the trade-off as she really likes the display.

Oct 27, 2017
I have an XR. Compared to the normal iPhone 7, it weights a ton.
Yeah, the XR is really heavy compared to the smaller 6,7, 8. But on par with the + versions.

It would be crazy if the phone just shot into the home screen every time you look at it. There needs to be intent. Swiping up is the intent. With Touch ID, touching the button was the intent. It just happened to do both intent and authentication in the same 1 gesture. It stays one gesture.

As for reachability yes you can swipe down around home bar height or just a tad higher and it will pull the screen down. But you need to turn it on.

I agree that the Xr is hefty. I personally don't like it that way, but my SO actually likes it, coming from a 6s. I think it's because of the trade-off as she really likes the display.

I have my phone set to only turn on when I hit the home sleep/wake button. It's not crazy of me to expect that Face ID would unlock it and then go to my home screen just like Touch ID does.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The XR on it's own is juuuuuuust on the cusp of a phone I could use. Throw a case on it though, and it becomes unwieldy as fuck haha. Way too big.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
XR is a Plus phone equivalent, much more like the 7 and 8 plus
I wish there was a smaller version. Comparable XS is $300 more since they don't offer a 128GB SKU. But this thing is just so heavy and difficult to use. Ugh.

I feel like holding up my phone to look at it is the intent. Yeah it was 2 things in one before, but from a user perspective it was one action. Click button, go to home screen. With this I have to look at it and have it unlock, then swipe up. Two actions. I dunno, it feels like a huge step back to me.

Turned on reachability. Oof... hard to find a way to hold the phone one handed and execute that without worrying that I'm gonna drop the damn thing. I'm also struggling with just reaching the far left of the screen when holding in right hand... much more of a stretch now.

Dammit Apple, why can't you just make the thing I want?

The XR on it's own is juuuuuuust on the cusp of a phone I could use. Throw a case on it though, and it becomes unwieldy as fuck haha. Way too big.
I used one of those super slim cases for that reason. With that thing it's actually slightly slimmer than my 7 with Apple leather case. Zero protection though. I was gonna rely on AppleCare.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the regular X? Maybe a little cheaper depending on where you're looking
Not much of a price difference at ATT since Apple officially never lowered the price, they just killed it.

Man, this really sucks. My wrist is already sort just from trying to use this damn thing for an hour.

Part of the reason we even decided to upgrade was because we'd save money on our monthly bill, so it's be kinda silly for me to now get an XS. Dammit Apple. That would add $12/month since I'd have to get the 256GB. Still less than we were paying before, but not by much. We'd essentially be upgrading just to upgrade.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Not much of a price difference at ATT since Apple officially never lowered the price, they just killed it.

Man, this really sucks. My wrist is already sort just from trying to use this damn thing for an hour.

Part of the reason we even decided to upgrade was because we'd save money on our monthly bill, so it's be kinda silly for me to now get an XS. Dammit Apple. That would add $12/month since I'd have to get the 256GB. Still less than we were paying before, but not by much. We'd essentially be upgrading just to upgrade.

Did you do two upgrades, or just one?

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
We don't have a thread to speculate on the 2019 iPhone right?

I thought 2019 might be a year to skip the iPhone if 5G is coming in 2020, but I had no idea how much 5G would cost. Apparently the 5G OnePlus may cost an additional $300 next year, which would be a 155% increase over the 6T which costs $549. If the iPhone went up by the same percentage because of 5G, the base Max model would go up to at least $1700, or almost $2300 in Canada. I don't know if Apple can actually raise the price of phones that high.

Even though the iPhone costs a ridiculous amount in Canada ($1519 for the Max) I'm in for an upgrade from an X next year if there's USB-C, a significantly smaller or no notch, 128GB base storage, a 120 hz display, and a night mode that's at least competitive with Pixel 3 XL's.

The flat edges on the iPad Pro are great but I really don't understand people wanting them back for iPhone. It would feel like a downgrade for me, and the curved edges make it more comfortable to hold. The X/XS design is near perfect IMO.

Last edited:

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Do we have any reason to believe there's going to be a major improvement in the 2019 iPhone? I'm honestly expecting another XS style upgrade, and the only major improvement I'd really be interested in is 5G, which currently is rumored to not be happening.

2019 seems like it'll be all about software, especially since iOS 12 deferred features for performance and stability.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Do we have any reason to believe there's going to be a major improvement in the 2019 iPhone? I'm honestly expecting another XS style upgrade, and the only major improvement I'd really be interested in is 5G, which currently is rumored to not be happening.

2019 seems like it'll be all about software, especially since iOS 12 deferred features for performance and stability.
Based on what we've heard so far I'm expecting a triple-lens camera, a slightly smaller notch, possibly Apple Pencil support, and unfortunately possibly the removal of 3D Touch.

The S10 could change things like how the iPhone X was originally meant to be the 2018 iPhone but was brought forward a year. The latest rumour is that the XI could have under the display Touch ID.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
5G is way too early. The chipsets are still in the works, the standards are still shaky, and the infrastructure is barely there if at all. So that's really a 2020 thing at the earliest. Apple doesn't feature-follow so they won't add it in until it's not a big hit on silicon size/battery life.

I'm basically in line with Gruber on next year; it's going to be Lightning, the notch is going to be the same, and they will pushing iOS improvements over hardware looks. On the internals there is still a lot of room for Apple to improve video performance, so I'm pretty much expecting iPhone XS-S. It's even more "Super". The only upgrade I think is going to happen is bundling 18W USBC chargers (as in, it will come with USB-C - Lightning rather than USB-A. USB-C would of course start to clarify the product line but I think they need to find the courage to do it to all of their products...

Given the phone market right now, a new frame is just the sort of thing their financials need, but it just seems really hard to imagine Apple not doing a three year cycle now (like Intel tried to do).

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Any of you guys having issues syncing new ring tones to your iphone XS? NOTHING will sync on mine. It's driving me nuts.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
They could go USB-C for iPhone next year. I suspect they will add more uses for the USB-C port on new iPad Pro in iOS 13, might as well do it for iPhone.

They also could not, since I believe they still make lots of money on lightning.

I expect design will largely stay the same. For the longest time iPhone was recognized in public by the rectangular screen and power button below. With X they had to start over and build that connection again. They are not making drastic changes now.

I'm more interested to see what iOS 13 is, if it's an iOS7 type update...

Last edited:

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I think I'm getting an XS tonight after work but I'm still incredibly hesitant given I'm only coming from a 7.

Kimchi_Breath

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone ever run into a glitch where the phone becomes temporarily unresponsive after plugging in a charging cable?

I plugged it in and set it down for a few seconds. Screen doesn't turn on when lifted up or tapping the screen. Mashing the power and volume buttons a bit eventually wakes the phone up.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I upgraded to the XS but having a little bit of buyer's remorse. What's new since the iPhone 7 besides the obvious redesign that I can check out? I'm almost considering exchanging for something much cheaper or keeping my iPhone 7 and getting a tablet or something. Is the XS Max a good in between for a tablet or just a big ass phone?

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
I upgraded to the XS but having a little bit of buyer's remorse. What's new since the iPhone 7 besides the obvious redesign that I can check out? I'm almost considering exchanging for something much cheaper or keeping my iPhone 7 and getting a tablet or something. Is the XS Max a good in between for a tablet or just a big ass phone?
Welcome to smartphones in the late 2010s. The differences year over year are small refinements, not major new features. Though the "obvious redesign" from 7 to XS isn't insignificant with the removal of the home button and the edge to edge screen. I went from a 6S+ to a Max and really like the upgrade (except for Face ID, Touch ID was so much better). But Max really is a "big ass phone", not a tablet in terms of functionality. I like it for being such, and I don't use my old iPad much, but don't expect a tablet experience if that's what you're looking for.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone go from a Plus phone to an Xs and regret it size wise? I played with my wife's Max tonight and while manageable it's still massive in the hand compared to my 7 Plus with it being all screen.

Kinan

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone go from a Plus phone to an Xs and regret it size wise? I played with my wife's Max tonight and while manageable it's still massive in the hand compared to my 7 Plus with it being all screen.

I think thickness plays a bigger role in perseption of a phone that other dimensions. XS Max is actually a bit smaller overall than 7 Plus, but it is 0.4 mm thicker and this is very noticable. For example, I considered XR for a bit, but than I tried it in a shop, and it felt like a brick in comparison with XS. Even XS Max was more comfortable to hold, and XR is just 0.5mm thicker than those.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I think thickness plays a bigger role in perseption of a phone that other dimensions. XS Max is actually a bit smaller overall than 7 Plus, but it is 0.4 mm thicker and this is very noticable. For example, I considered XR for a bit, but than I tried it in a shop, and it felt like a brick in comparison with XS. Even XS Max was more comfortable to hold, and XR is just 0.5mm thicker than those.
I for one am happy that Apple (and seemingly everyone else too?) stopped obsessing about making the phones thinner.

The XS is very managable in my hands and battery life so far has been great. Don't fuck it up now.

Kinan

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I for one am happy that Apple (and seemingly everyone else too?) stopped obsessing about making the phones thinner.

The XS is very managable in my hands and battery life so far has been great. Don't fuck it up now.

Yea, I think XS is fine, maybe I would prefer just a touch thinner one to have more options with cases. But XR is definitely too thick for my taste.

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to smartphones in the late 2010s. The differences year over year are small refinements, not major new features. Though the "obvious redesign" from 7 to XS isn't insignificant with the removal of the home button and the edge to edge screen. I went from a 6S+ to a Max and really like the upgrade (except for Face ID, Touch ID was so much better). But Max really is a "big ass phone", not a tablet in terms of functionality. I like it for being such, and I don't use my old iPad much, but don't expect a tablet experience if that's what you're looking for.
Was the iPhone 4s or 5 the last major change or upgrade? I mean phones have smoothed out and definitely refined the user experience since then, but it felt like the iPhone 5 and previous, we were making leaps and bounds on every revison. Now it just seems like everyone gets hot and bothered about new emojis rather than real technical progress.

Erebus

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Europe
Was the iPhone 4s or 5 the last major change or upgrade? I mean phones have smoothed out and definitely refined the user experience since then, but it felt like the iPhone 5 and previous, we were making leaps and bounds on every revison. Now it just seems like everyone gets hot and bothered about new emojis rather than real technical progress.
If we don't count screen size, I'd consider the 5s the last major upgrade. The CPU and the TouchID were above anything we had seen before.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
I just picked up an iPhone XS Max. Anyone have recommendations on cases, wireless chargers, screen protectors, etc? There some many freakin options I don't know what I'm getting into. Edit: nevermind. Found some good sources.

Last edited:

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
If we don't count screen size, I'd consider the 5s the last major upgrade. The CPU and the TouchID were above anything we had seen before.

Yeah I think OG, 4, 5s, and X have been the best ones for big upgrades. Definitely some decently cool stuff in between but it seems like most people don't have much love for the 6/7 design

Kimchi_Breath

Oct 25, 2017
New Instagram update is awful. Whoever thought it would be better to tap the sides to scroll through posts should be taken out back and shot.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Erm....

Anyone else having issues with "scrubbing" thru videos competing with your multi-task windows?

I can't fast forward/rewind SHIT without mistakenly swiping to a previous app. It's infuriating and google doesn't help.

123rl

Oct 28, 2017
I'm annoyed. I have the official iPhone XS leather case, which I don't like but it's protective. I dropped my phone from less than 6" onto a tile floor - it fell out of my hand as I was getting changed at the gym. The camera glass has cracked! So angry!

It isn't cracked over the lens and it doesn't affect photos or the flash, so I can leave it for now. I have AppleCare but I don't want to claim for it on that unless it's necessary

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is why I returned mine. It's a pretty big problem with some of the displays. Not a lot of people talking about it though.

This is from Macrumors. Its pretty much what mine looked like (XS Max left: X right).

d6x7qDq.jpg

I know I am late, but I went through 5 IP8+ and every single one had a different tint and un uniform screens. I now upgraded to a XR and it's tint is a lot more yellow than the 8+ I settled on. No way I am playing that lottery agin though. You just have to accept with a mass manufacturered product like this you're going to have variances.