• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
Starting Jan 29 Verizon will offer a deal on trade ins for iPhone 8 or X. You trade in your old phone and get a $699 discount applied to a second phone. So if you and your SO need new phones I'd take a look.

Gamespawn

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trolling. My clock will fade behind the lock image when wirelessly charging, some messages come through over and over again giving me endless notifications while others never notify me once, battery life is abysmal due to the RAM leak, the emergency call screen appears all the time with one time with it even ringing 911 one time, reachability never works, random elements such as iMessage pop ups or music widgets will stick together without going away, volume indicator stays on top of videos for no reason even though there's a smaller one that's supposed to fix this, many things will fuck up my phone and require a hard reset, this phone is literally the most unstable/worst iPhone I've ever used and I've had every iPhone. This doesn't even go into the hardware issues I have, such as the most easily scratched screen EVER. It has secured my next phone as android or maybe even a feature phone as my Apple Watch LTE is a better smartphone than the iPhone X at this point. Disgusting waste of $1200.
What kind of case do you have on your X? Also, you might need to do a fresh install. Factory reset and setup as new on the latest update.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Yep, as GS says do a factory reset

1. Erase all contents and settings
2. Restore from icloud
3. If that doesn't work, then erase all again and try fresh

Those problems shouldn't happen (and don't on mine) but 99% of the time weird iOS issues are because the OS install is broken, which unlike windows tends to be completely silent when it's happening. Any genius bar will force you to go through those steps before issuing a replacement.

EDIT: I should say that on past phones, I've had surefire "sounds like hardware problems", like the touch screen failing and the battery dying at 45%. They could reoccur at random, frustrating as hell. As difficult as it is to hear, most of the time this is iOS silently being screwed up. You don't see the fail messages because those occur in system logs only accessible by using a terminal application; there's no popup. Sometimes nothing on system either. It's worth a shot before heading to an Apple Store or outright replacing your phone.

Last edited:

Big Powder

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any good player for OPUS files? Most I've tried to use do things like crash randomly and so on, which has become such a problem that I've resurrected my old S6 to handle all my music playing, but I'd really prefer to just keep the iPhone X.

Ideally, I'd like some way to have it sync my music folder with my iPhone. I used to love using SyncThing to sync my OPUS folder to my S6, and it worked perfectly and any time I added any new music, it'd immediately appear on my phone. There seems to be an app for SyncThing, but the top reviews all say that it's terrible. Is there something similar I could use that isn't Dropbox or something else that requires the purchasing of cloud storage for a large collection?

Deleted member 643

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But there's always a new model coming within the year?

You're going to be disappointed if you're waiting for the notch to disappear this year. There are physical limitations at play. Maybe within five revisions if we're lucky.
This is where I'm at. Don't understand the worry about discontinuing or whatever - as long as the form factor lives on in the X2 or whatever who cares? The X's support is secured then.

I also am convinced that the notch is one of those things that you completely forget about in 99% of daily use. The phone feels so good in person

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I purposely bought an X as to get to on the right 2 year cycle.

I bought a 7 Plus for that exact reason after my 6 (and the bigger screen was a factor, too), only to get burned. But yeah, I'm hoping this time I'm on the right cycle and not the "S" cycle.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Can I get a case recommendation?

Right now I have the leather case and I love it. However, when I go snowboarding, I still get moisture in my pockets, and it's enough that it would get the leather pretty wet. I'm looking for a slim case (hate anything bulky), and I'm kind of against the apple silicon case because of how much lint sticks to it (I also hate that haha).

Deleted member 1722

Oct 25, 2017
For what its worth, I used two different Apple silicon cases over the course of 3 years with my 6+ and never had a lint issue.
I did find the rubber would delaminate from the case, but thats kinda par for the course I guess.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone on 11.3 having issues with skype? I wonder when they'll fix it. I'm assuming SKype has to push out an update and not Apple.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Starting Jan 29 Verizon will offer a deal on trade ins for iPhone 8 or X. You trade in your old phone and get a $699 discount applied to a second phone. So if you and your SO need new phones I'd take a look.

If I'm reading this right, trade in 2 phones, get 2 new phones, one full price, the other with a $699 credit attached to it?

Lima

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus christ how is the music widget still broken at this point. Like sometimes it disappears completely or the progress bar of the song doesn't move. What the hell Apple.

chuey

Oct 28, 2017
No. Trade in one phone. Get two phones with a $699 credit towards the second. It's almost a buy 2 get one 1 free. Or more precisely a buy 2 get one $699 off.

I don't think they would give me that good of a deal on my 5s.

Edit: They will accept my 5s but you got to have a new line. Why doesn't Verizon offer deals like this to existing customers?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they would give me that good of a deal on my 5s.

Edit: They will accept my 5s but you got to have a new line. Why doesn't Verizon offer deals like this to existing customers?

Because businesses have way more to spend on acquisition of new customers. Once they've got you they'll spend as little as they can get away with to keep you

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Last day to decide whether I keep the X and put up with the still annoying Face ID or I give up, send it back and keep my trusty iPhone 6 for another 8-9 months until the 2018 iPhone models show up...*sigh*
What are the chances that Apple will release an OLED iPhone in the same format with a better working Face ID (needs to to recognize me when looking at the phone from an angle)?
Latest rumors seem to insinuate that there won't be any new OLED phone in the same size, only bigger.

Last edited:

Erebus

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Europe
Last day to decide whether I keep the X and put up with the still annoying Face ID or I give up, send it back and keep my trusty iPhone 6 for another 8-9 months until the 2018 iPhone models show up...*sigh*
What are the chances that Apple will release an OLED iPhone in the same format with a better working Face ID (needs to to recognize me when looking at the phone from an angle)?
Latest rumors seem to insinuate that there won't be any new OLED phone in the same size, only bigger.
Wrong.

Rumors so far suggest that they will release 2 OLED phones this year, one with the same size at the current X and another one with bigger screen.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Wrong.

Rumors so far suggest that they will release 2 OLED phones this year, one with the same size at the current X and another one with bigger screen.
Sounds good, hope it's true.
Having used the X these last 3 weeks, I think I'll switch back to my old 6 tomorrow for the usual daily commute and see how it goes. If it's not too bad, then I'll send back the X...I guess...

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
People are having issues with Face ID?

I haven't had one, not even one, single issue where Face ID hasn't worked flawlessly.

In fact it makes me laugh at how I was worried about losing the finger print sensor... that shit nearly never worked.

Ok I tell I lie. The face is doesn't work for me... if I'm picking my nose.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
Also... people still use Skype? Guys get that shit off your phones and computers asap. It's a memory hog, and barely works.

People have switched to Telegram now. It's a tiny executable, loads instantly, uses next to no power, and has so mi b more functionality. It's like WhatsApp but can be used on PC too. It's fantastic.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
What can I say? As I don't use carplay when driving I have to rely on the phone properly unlocking when taking a quick look and that's a problem since it's not in front of me.
Also it's way to picky with hooded coats that I'm wearing. If it rains, then wish me luck because the phone will require a couple of tries until it properly recognizes me and unlocks. The way I'm using my phone, Touch ID is more reliable.
It's really sad because I love both the size and the speed of the X.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also... people still use Skype? Guys get that shit off your phones and computers asap. It's a memory hog, and barely works.

People have switched to Telegram now. It's a tiny executable, loads instantly, uses next to no power, and has so mi b more functionality. It's like WhatsApp but can be used on PC too. It's fantastic.

Yeah there's no chance in hell I'm getting my almost 60 year old parents to use Telegram. And since they own no Apple products Skype is the only thing really

Lima

Oct 26, 2017
Telegram lol. If he said Discord then maybe I would have seen the point.

That's something even your parents could easily use because all they need is a link and the don't have to install anything.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
What can I say? As I don't use carplay when driving I have to rely on the phone properly unlocking when taking a quick look and that's a problem since it's not in front of me.
Also it's way to picky with hooded coats that I'm wearing. If it rains, then wish me luck because the phone will require a couple of tries until it properly recognizes me and unlocks. The way I'm using my phone, Touch ID is more reliable.

what are you taking a quick look at in the car? If its just the lock screen and you want to see notifications, you can turn off the private notifications so you see the full text immediately. hitting skip on the remote on the lock screen shouldn't need Face ID. Any other interaction you probably shouldn't be doing while driving.

Deleted member 134

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Put in your pin every time Face ID fails. It will get better at recognizing you in your hooded coat.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
You really don't need to have the phone in front of you in the car. Mine is in front of the vents in the middle console facing straight and it unlocks no problem. Didn't need to even move it around, it's the same place I put my previous phone. I had concerns about Face ID in the car but it turned out to be way superior since it just unlocks when I look at it.

Moozo

Oct 30, 2017
United Kingdom
I have my USB-c fast charger in a vertical dock. Face ID unlocks it from across the room sometimes, or while I'm walking over to it. It's quite remarkable.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I have no issues with unlocking with my hoodie (and over-ear headphones) on. At the beginning, it wouldn't unlock if I had my hand in front of my mouth, which I have a lot because I have a severe dust allergy and often have a handkerchief pressed up to my nose. However, it now unlocks when I do that as well, so it got used to seeing that.

In the car I have my phone mounted and I do have to look at the screen (because of attention requirement being turned on), but other then that it unlocks just fine there.

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Put in your pin every time Face ID fails. It will get better at recognizing you in your hooded coat.

Been doing this since launch but Face ID is still very hit-and-miss when not standing. A product of the angles needed to complete the check but also a product of tech that may not have been ready to replace Touch ID wholesale.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I turned off "Require Attention for Face ID" because it didn't recognize me with sunglasses on, haven't had a problem since. Try that maybe? It's mostly for if it can't see your eyes, though.

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You probably set yours up wrong.

Nah. I even did it a second time two weeks later based on all the accumulated advice to give it the best possible chance. Attention awareness has always been off too. It's technical limitations rather than user error, which is very typical of first gen tech like Face ID if we're being honest.

It's working as intended but as someone who sits at a desk and has the phone charging the leer I have to do to give it a chance to authenticate is a sight to behold, and even then it's a coin toss if it'll fail or not.

As someone who is nearsighted, using the phone in bed without my glasses trying to get Face ID to work is a sad guessing game I don't even try to engage in. Instead I have wait to put in my passcode. Its use in the App Store authication process (having to be manually activated via two clicks of power button) remains the biggest regression for me. Obviously they want to ensure the user intends to buy something but no one can even attempt to get around the fact it is a significantly worse experience for the user compared to Touch ID.

Face ID is good enough (and compared to weaker, faster implementations like One Plus' face unlock, secure enough) to suggest that the next generation or the one after that may be great but what we have currently isn't the clean win the more hyperbolic reviews made it out to be. It is what is.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
I turned off "Require Attention for Face ID" because it didn't recognize me with sunglasses on, haven't had a problem since. Try that maybe? It's mostly for if it can't see your eyes, though.
I actually only read about that option today, tried it and then I even went to my car and drove around the block.
It was an improvement, but still not reliable enough for me to spend full 1,319€ (german price). Maybe it would have improved after some time, but time was up and I had to take my decision today.
Well, I'm back on my iPhone 6 that will get a new battery on saturday.
I might give the iPhone X another chance in case there's a good deal and it's on a jailbreakable iOS version as well. Otherwise I'll probably wait until the 2018 one which is when I will have to buy and keep a new iPhone no matter what.
Too bad, I would have loved to continue playing "Life is Strange" on the X. Obviously graphically improved compared to the iPhone 6 version.
Sorry and thanks for the help guys.

Link Gray

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone tell me why my Mail app isn't updating? I have tons of unread emails that I didn't know I had (had to check on the computer) because this dumb thing thinks I have no new mail it's so frustrating. I've tried updating it manually within the app, restarted my phone, logged in and back out of my account, checked all the push/fetch settings and nothing.

gamma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lately I have been noticing the camera showing up in the battery usage stats even though I haven't used it. Is that supposed to be Face ID? Cause otherwise it must be the NSA agent secretly watching me.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I picked one up over the weekend with T-mobile's Buy one get $750 credit towards next phone. Traded in an old 5 I wasn't using. My monthly bill also dropped about $50 over 3 lines.

I can't find it, but someone posted a really amazing thin case quite a while back in this thread. It was a link to a website for the company, I think this was the sole product. Anyone have a recall of this?

Moozo

Oct 30, 2017
United Kingdom
Nah. I even did it a second time two weeks later based on all the accumulated advice to give it the best possible chance. Attention awareness has always been off too. It's technical limitations rather than user error, which is very typical of first gen tech like Face ID if we're being honest.

It's working as intended but as someone who sits at a desk and has the phone charging the leer I have to do to give it a chance to authenticate is a sight to behold, and even then it's a coin toss if it'll fail or not.

As someone who is nearsighted, using the phone in bed without my glasses trying to get Face ID to work is a sad guessing game I don't even try to engage in. Instead I have wait to put in my passcode. Its use in the App Store authication process (having to be manually activated via two clicks of power button) remains the biggest regression for me. Obviously they want to ensure the user intends to buy something but no one can even attempt to get around the fact it is a significantly worse experience for the user compared to Touch ID.

Face ID is good enough (and compared to weaker, faster implementations like One Plus' face unlock, secure enough) to suggest that the next generation or the one after that may be great but what we have currently isn't the clean win the more hyperbolic reviews made it out to be. It is what is.
I did one scan wearing glasses and the second without, works flawlessly. It sounds like you're having a much worse experience than me.

Re. Charging, get a vertical stand (one where the cable feeds through)? Or a wireless charging pad and just pick the phone up when using it

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I did one scan wearing glasses and the second without, works flawlessly. It sounds like you're having a much worse experience than me.

Re. Charging, get a vertical stand (one where the cable feeds through)? Or a wireless charging pad and just pick the phone up when using it

You're misreading what I meant. Face ID works fine without glasses but my astigmatism means I'm playing a guessing game trying to get the angle of the phone right to use Face ID in bed. Generally not worth even attempting unless I'm laying on my back anyways.

Re: using it on a table, a stand doesn't solve if I'm at the dinner table either where it's impractical to have a stand. It's simply problems caused by the limitations of the hardware.

And I'll reiterate, Face ID is working exactly as intended for me, it's just that it is markably inferior to Touch ID gen 2. I'm more than confident the second revision of it will go a long way to narrowing the gap.

Oct 25, 2017
the optimize iphone storage feature on icloud photo library is easily the most unreliable feature on my phone. every single pic having a cloud logo and not allowing you to download it with the ! logo in the corner. I hope 12 fixes the cloud stuff.

bruhh

Oct 26, 2017
This phone is so damn good. That fluidity and speed. The gestures are impossible to go back from and the screen keeps dropping my jaw.

Face ID is 100x better than touch. Only situation where it's worse is laying in bed. But other than that, it works much much better. I enter my passcode way less and it's way more convenient when I'm walking. Totally exceeded my expectations.

BdoUK

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Has anyone had issues with picture image quality using the 2x mode? My wife and I were taking pictures of our son a few nights ago and the images look very artificial, almost as if a digital zoom is being invoked.

We were using overhead room lighting (walls are painted a very light grey) so I think there was plenty of light for the shot.

img_02999csjs.jpg

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Has anyone had issues with picture image quality using the 2x mode? My wife and I were taking pictures of our son a few nights ago and the images look very artificial, almost as if a digital zoom is being invoked.

We were using overhead room lighting (walls are painted a very light grey) so I think there was plenty of light for the shot.

img_02999csjs.jpg

Are you using 2x mode or the actual portrait mode? Not a lot of people know this but hitting 2x doesn't actually activate the second camera. What you're getting is digital zoom with the wide lens, which is why photos tend to look like shit.

You can actually try this yourself. Cover the second lens with your thumb and hit 2x.