• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Hopefully someone comes charging in here to prove me wrong, but it's my understanding that you can't use iMessage on a computer that isn't running macOS without jumping through some crazy hoops (the easiest method seems to be to have a Mac that you leave on all the time so you can remote into it and use the Messages app that way, which is ridiculous). I'm genuinely curious how anyone in this boat finds this acceptable.

The impetus for asking this is a conversation I had with my wife last night. She got an iPhone and a ThinkPad laptop for work a few months ago. She's out of town for work at the moment and sent me a link last night to a sketchy-looking website offering some downloads for applications that purported to let you use iMessage on a Windows machine. So she sent the link and asked if I thought it seemed safe. We had the following exchange:

Me: I'm still at my work thing, I'll have to check when I get home. Trying to use iMessage from your computer?
Her: Yes
Her: I HATE this fucking phone

[Note: I was able to easily copy and paste that conversation because I can access my messages on my computer.]

Maybe I'm spoiled, I don't know. I've been using Google Voice since 2009, so I've had a full ten years of being able to send and receive messages from any computer with a web browser. I've used other messaging platforms in that time, as well: Facebook Messenger, Google Hangouts, Google Allo, Signal, WhatsApp, Telegram, Android Messages, and yes, even iMessage. All of them -- except iMessage -- let you send and receive messages from any computer with a browser. Apple only lets you do this if you use Apple hardware. I understand why they do it, but I don't understand why anyone who isn't all-in on Apple products is okay with it (and I honestly don't think the all-Apple crowd should be okay with it either, but that's not the point of this thread).

iOS has ~45% of the mobile market in the US, but macOS only has ~18% of the computer market. That's a LOT of iOS users who can only send messages through their phones. I'm sure there are quite a few people here who fall into the iPhone/Windows combination. For you folks, please see the question in the thread title. Does it not bother you that you have to use your phone for all of your messaging? Am I the only person who finds typing long messages on a phone to be overly cumbersome and awful? Do you feel the pros of using iMessage outweigh the giant con of this kind of usage restriction? Am I just an old man yelling at a cloud?

EDIT: To be clear, I am specifically addressing this being a problem for iMessage. If you are using a different (better) messaging platform, this is obviously a non-issue.

Last edited:

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i use OSX and iOS and i never use this ever

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
iMessage rules and is probably the single reason I don't dabble in other OSs. (also because my breadwinning software is only available for MacOS.)

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I do run in to this frustration, but not often. Usually only when I want to send somebody a link to something. I have to e-mail it to myself to get it on my phone so I can text it. I don't use Facebook Messenger and literally only one of my friends (who lives in the UK) uses WhatsApp.

It's not common but it definitely happens. I'll want to send a video or an article to someone and not be able to. It's annoying. Really wish iMessage would get a browser client.

Mar 29, 2018
Big reason I moved to using WhatsApp mainly a couple of years ago. Can use it on phone or computer, cross plat.

I'm on Android now - and on Android you can use "messages.android.com" or whatever to do it in-browser, too.

I still use WhatsApp and WhatsApp web mainly... but honestly privacy concerns wrt Facebook are rampant :/

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
It bothers me, but what are you going to do about it, buy another phone? Spend a lot of money replacing your computer just for this?

If that feature is important to you, you abandon imessage for another platform that has PC compatibility. Otherwise you just use ios as normal text messages, which to my knowledge also isn't portable to a PC so nothing lost there. I assume that's what most people are used to (who aren't on the mac ecosystem) so just don't use the portability of imessage.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
It's probably a cheating answer but if my phone isn't next to me, the iPad is. So I can just do it on there

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
It's the only major annoyance I have in using iPhones and Windows computers. But like I have my phone with me at all times anyway so it isn't the worst.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
For one, I use Whatsapp because it's phone OS agnostic, but even then I don't have the desktop client installed. I just don't have a need for sending texts on my desktop when my phone is in reach.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I have an iphone, macbook and a Windows Desktop. Texting from my macbook is a nice convenience but it very easy to manage without when Im at the desktop since my phone is usually nearby.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Never had the urge to text from my computer.

Plus my phone is always next to me in these circumstances.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I find it convenient, but I don't send so many text messages that this would become a make/break feature that I would miss if I didn't have my Mac. I'm not texting short stories. Are you?

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty much every country outside of the US uses a cross-platform messaging app. Almost all my friends have iPhones and none of us use iMessage.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
There's never a case where I'm near my computer and don't also have my phone with me. I don't text very much, pretty much only with my partner. So it's not a big deal at all.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I use Line and I think the last time I used Messages was like... 4 years ago? And it was for a one use only. Anyway, Line has a PC app but I barely use it since I just type my messages from my iPhone. Don't see how it can be any difficult, really...

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
I use Facebook Messenger and Discord for most of my messaging. iMessage is generally relegated to sending photos for me

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Im using Google Hangout... I can use it from anywhere.

I wish it had better support in Firefox (other than having a tab opened to Gmail or using some "ok" browser extensions) but that's a different subject.

Dec 2, 2017
I don't know a single person who uses the function on their mac. I barely know anyone who uses imessage since everyone has whats app here.

igordennis

Oct 25, 2017
As someone with an iphone and macbook pro for the past 7 years, i have never used iMessage on my mac ever. Maybe this is a US thing, i just use whatsapp web because no one i know uses iMessage. So yeah, i'd say it's pretty easy and a non-issue OP? /shrug

Low key i didn't even know that was a feature until i read this thread. And i still wouldn't bother with figuring out how to even use it on my mac because, again, i have no use for it.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why not just use WhatsApp or whatever you guys agree on? Why does she have to use iMessage? It seems like a problem of your own creation.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
I don't use my Macbook as much anymore, but I can't say I took full advantage of sending texts on it.

I'd say this feature is definitely more handy for me on my iPad. I use that a lot more nowadays.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I have never needed to send a text from my computer? I also only ever regularly iMessage my wife, and that's usually just "Hey where are you" or "Hey what's for dinner".

I use other messengers for everything/one else.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I don't know a single person who uses the function on their mac. I barely know anyone who uses imessage since everyone has whats app here.
Everyone I know uses it. It's just that none are dependent on it. It's just a nice convenience feature when working on the computer. It's far more convenient than reaching over, unlocking the phone and typing on a virtual keyboard or looking at a link on a mobile browser. for all the obvious reasons.

c043y

Oct 25, 2017
I have the reverse problem sort of, I have an iPhone, and I DO have a Macbook, but it's not my main computer. I HATE that I can't text through my PC, and I keep my Macbook on my desk pretty much just for chatting while I do other things.

I REALLY would love some sort of solution that would allow me to use iMessage on my PC. I've thought about an iPad emulator, MacOS virtual machine... not super keen on using a RDP solution. Any thoughts?!

OP
OP
SwampBastard

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Why not just use WhatsApp or whatever you guys agree on? Why does she have to use iMessage? It seems like a problem of your own creation.
It's her work phone and she's not going to get colleagues across the country to switch to WhatsApp or whatever. We use Telegram between us (and the majority of our friends).

Pezking

Oct 25, 2017
We have a Windows PC at home, I have a Pixel 3 and my wife has an iPhone 8.

WhatsApp does the job just fine.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not even sure I understand the significance of iMessage. I switched to the Apple ecosystem last fall and have been using iMessage exactly like I used text messages on my Android this entire time. Why people make such a big deal about this thing is confusing to me.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I think people who care just use one of the dozens of other great messaging platforms that don't have these stupid restrictions. Pretty much what you said in the op.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's her work phone and she's not going to get colleagues across the country to switch to WhatsApp or whatever. We use Telegram between us (and the majority of our friends).

Her colleagues should get on a platform agnostic app. It's not hard, these apps are all free. Every job I've had for the past decade uses an app to communicate between employees and not SMS. We don't have Nokia's anymore.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
There's never a scenario where I have my laptop with me and not my phone.

Texting from a PC would be a neat convenience, but not at all a necessity.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
My phone is always with me. When I'm on the computer it's at the end of my mouse mat. Also, I text like 2 people. 1 of them is always with me anyway. I don't text, I much prefer calling people.