• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I think we are going to see the iPhone SE get a refresh every year or two now as a replacement for the mini variants. Lumping the "price sensitive" and "smaller screen" groups together seems like good efficiency.
it'll be interesting to see where the SE goes in the future. I don't think they can use that body design forever. Maybe they end up repurposing the 13 Mini into a future SE, and just stop giving it the future camera updates that standard iPhones get

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I think a lot of youtubers and whatnot use their phones as their camera, so it's definitely a benefit to some people.
I know but it's already incredible quality for that, and if and when they're ready to get more quality then they can make the jump to an actual camera, they cost less then iPhone pro and look much better.

I'm just saying we've hit the point where most people are already having their needs met while still lacking in other places, the balance should start to shift.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The 13 Pro Max is smaller than every Note back up to the Note 8.
I'm talking about way back in the day when Apple thought the idea of larger phones was ludicrous, which was back in the Galaxy Note 1 era when the screen size was an, at the time, unbelievable 5.3 inches.
www.engadget.com

Apple's Steve Jobs: 'no one's going to buy' a big phone

In response to a question at its press conference today about whether Apple could've done anything to avoid its antenna issues with the iPhone 4, Steve took the opportunity to rip on bigger rivals, saying that making a phone so big "you can't get your hand around it" helps, but that "no one's...

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i know a couple people who adore their 12/13 Minis, but it does seem like it was a clearly a case of lots of people thinking they wanted something, then when they saw it in person being like "umm, actually bigger screens are pretty dope"

13 mini user here.

Mini is dope.

The only annoyance is the lack of 120hz but I can live without it.

Nov 4, 2017
it'll be interesting to see where the SE goes in the future. I don't think they can use that body design forever. Maybe they end up repurposing the 13 Mini into a future SE, and just stop giving it the future camera updates that standard iPhones get
Yeah I think we'll see a bit of iteration and refinement in the design, but the latest iPhone SE is a hell of a lot of phone for the price (and I say that as somebody who despises Apple as a company). If they'd just make the phone a couple of millimetres thicker and throw a 5AH battery in there, I'd come back to using an iPhone.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
My ideal iPhone would be an "iPhone 14 Pro Mini". Give me the Pro camera and featureset in the iPhone Mini body and I'd throw upwards of $2,000 at Apple to get it.

Kastanjemanden

alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2022
I'm talking about way back in the day when Apple thought the idea of larger phones was ludicrous, which was back in the Galaxy Note 1 era when the screen size was an, at the time, unbelievable 5.3 inches.
www.engadget.com

In response to a question at its press conference today about whether Apple could've done anything to avoid its antenna issues with the iPhone 4, Steve took the opportunity to rip on bigger rivals, saying that making a phone so big "you can't get your hand around it" helps, but that "no one's...

Well Jobs did die in 2011 before the first bigger phone in 2014.

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
www.engadget.com

They also said no one wanted video on an iPod.

Apple will say no one wants the thing they're not making until they start making it.

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
I have a 12 mini without a case. I switched from Android exclusively to this and I adore it. Amazing phone.

The wobble absolutely KILLS me. I'm tempted to put something akin to a furniture pad on the back to be level with the camera bump and stop the wobble. It's one of the things I like about the new Pixel design.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck, I was still holding out hope for a 14 Mini. I'm hoping they'll at least continue selling the 13 Mini for a while, would like to switch phones later this year or in 2023, I think.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Can't believe they are killing the mini already. I was planning on upgrading my kids from the SE to the new mini. Guess I'll save some money and they can have a 13 mini instead.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Man that smaller form factor pro with the 3 gigantic lenses is just really, really inelegant. They're all sort of clunky but that one is the most conspicuous.

I like the mini form factor too, too bad it didn't catch on much it seems.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No one bought the Mini, why are people surprised they killed it?

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really excited for the rumored 48 megapixel camera sensor on these. Should be a huge improvement over the 12mp sensors that Apple have stuck with for years.

Don't care at all about the phone being a little thicker or lenses being a little bigger if it means better cameras, better thermals, and better battery life.

I'm so glad Apple has taken this new approach towards their MacBook and iPhone lines in recent years. Who cares about thinness if it's to the detriment of quality/performance.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
i know a couple people who adore their 12/13 Minis, but it does seem like it was a clearly a case of lots of people thinking they wanted something, then when they saw it in person being like "umm, actually bigger screens are pretty dope"
The only reason I have a Mini is because no Android OEMs are making small phones. I strongly prefer Android to iOS and hope I have some decent options soon, but I don't see it happening.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I may be interested in the iPhone 14 Max over the Pro Max. But not if it's not oled plus who am i kidding if 120hz is locked in then I'll keep it

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apple shitting on Galaxy Notes so loudly and publicly for being too big and only weirdos wanting a large phone will always be funny to me seeing as they eventually embraced that approach.
I mean, Apple started increasing screen sizes nearly 10 years ago at this point... Things change.

You think Samsung, Google, or really literally any major tech companies approaches haven't change dramatically compared to 10 years ago? Samsung & Google both marketed against the idea of losing 3.5mm headphone ports, for example. But here we are.

Sep 29, 2020
Wow, I really likes the rumored no bump and overall thicker phone (with larger battery and whatever more that would entail).
Glad I decided to just keep my 12 mini now. Next phone will most certainly be a 13 mini.

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
I think they'll probably switch to a 2-3 year interval for an iPhone mini, or give the SE the same dimensions down the line. As it is, the 8/SE form factor isn't a suitable alternative for the not-insignificant number of people who want a truly small phone, and are happy to hang onto their small devices for years until they become unusable. I think Apple knows this.

Last edited:

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017
The iPhone design peaked with the iPhone 5/5S/SE and you'll never convince me otherwise.

I'm not watching a whole-ass movie on my phone, I don't need a screen bigger than this.

I agree. I have other devices available when I need the real estate, with my phone I favor portability & usability.

Switching from the SE to the 13 mini I am enjoying the larger screen but the dimensions are making it a borderline two-hand experience. It's a little frustrating after handling a small glass sliver for the past decade.

But I do understand many people running everything through their phone and wanting a larger device.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Has anything been said on specs?

Still rocking the 6S and will be upgrading to the 13 Pro probably next week…. But should I wait for the 14 Pro now we're into April?

6S has served me well, but the battery is kaput and it is starting to show its age with performance. Plus I believe it has had its final iOS update and I guess we'll be seeing forced obsolescence with Apps over the next few months.

Griffy

Oct 25, 2017
I was all in on the 12 mini, but after a year of using it I had to swap it for a 13 Pro. The idea of the smaller phone was super appealing, and the size/weight of the device was great, but actually using the small screen was anything but. For some reason, I just couldn't adapt to the smaller keyboard and the number of typos I made skyrocketed (also the battery life was terrible 😬).

Gotta say though, as much as the improved cameras on modern phones are nice to have, the camera bumps absolutely disgust me.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
The iPhone 13 pro already has a pretty good camerasystem for all 3 lenses. Hopefully they double the resolution now.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Nokia was ahead of their time with the camera bump.

nokia1020-800x787.png

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I went from a 6 to a 12 Mini and I love everything about it except, a year and a bit on, the battery life. Comparing it to my partner's huge Android, the battery capacity is night and day and I'm always a bit envious. Still though, not sure it's enough for me to have wanted to swap to a non-Mini in future... but if I can hold out for as long as last time, maybe it'll swing back the other way to making smaller phones again.

PieOMy

Nov 15, 2018
Boston
iPhone consumers have failed me. iPhone 5 was peak small cellphone and we may never see anything like it again.