• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Everything that is required to use the device should be included in the box. Chargers being one of them. It's a bad move.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I remember when they used to give a microfiber cleaning cloth with iPhone 4 (or maybe 3GS, not sure). Since then, they've just been taking away one thing after another from the box.

It was nice to see that with the Watch they once when in the opposite direction, and added something - a small microfiber sleeve for the watch, for when you need to keep it somewhere in the bag.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
People keep complaining but in the end, they always buy the next shiny Apple product anyway.

It's systemic capitalism, the price keeps going up while there's less stuff for what you paid. At some point in the future they'll have you pay the hardware with an additional subscription to access the iOS and it'll be the norm.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
One of the thing that I notice in these Apple threads is people always lament Apple for removing something and then like 2 years later, all companies do it. Think mobile phone keyboard, disc drives, headphone jack. And these people don't have iPhones so it doesn't even affect them.

I am due for an upgrade this year - and guess what? I already have AirPods and a charger. I am good for now.

People are going to be super upset when Apple removes the jack 2 years from now. Apple wants to go 100% wireless.

That's all the more reason people get upset. We know Apple are the trend setters, and once companies see Apple can get away with it they follow. But as long as there are decent phones that prioritise what I want (SD slot, good quality audio output, headphone jack) I'm not really phased.

stersauce

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
san jose, ca
Nope, it's still Lightning. You'll get a Lightning to USB-C cable and that's it.
If the 12 had a USB-C port, the reaction would've been different.
unless the rumors have changed since the last i heard, it's basically lightning until apple runs a portless/wireless charging only iphone

usb-c will never see the light of day on an iphone :(

Oct 27, 2017
This would be a nice way to reduce e-waste if they let you buy the headphone/charger combo for like $10 but currently, they sell wired earpods for $30 and chargers are $30 - $50 for 18W or 30W.

Considering charging cables and headphones both are very thin and naturally wear out through daily use over the years, you know you're gonna have to spend an extra $50 bucks to get everything. The worst part is other companies may follow in the next couple years as it is a really dumb way to nickle-and-dime you. They're just waiting for somebody else to do it first.

On the bright side, at least third-party accessory manufacturers will get a boost in business.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I'm completely OK with eschewing accessories that have become more standardized over the years. Less waste and less clutter.

HOWEVER, I really hope Apple lowers the price to match the removal of those accessories... not holding my breath though.

Also, not moving to USB-C is criminal. Please please please let this be the final year for Lightning.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Tbh lightning EarPods are pretty worthless but got just bundle the fast charger everyone wants one. I really wish Apple would just give everyone a $30 credit with an iPhone purchase instead of including accessories at this point though it'd decrease waste while also offering a similar value.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
The earbuds not included doesn't surprise me. But not even a 5W charger? It's honestly hard to believe.

But these things are supposedly starting at $649? So maybe Apple is just cutting everything to reach that price point. Hopefully starts with 128 GB for the $649 (Lol. Probably not). But this year could be the cheapest iPhone upgrade for me in years.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Instead of bundling an actual decent fast charge brick they're not including anything at all?

The joke writes itself, also everybody's going to buy this anyway, why wouldn't they fuck over their consumers?

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I honestly feel like this would be totally fine if they offered a charger discounted as an add-on at the time of purchase or something. I'm practically swimming in Apple chargers and earbuds at this point. The people who really need them are the ones new to the ecosystem. People upgrading already have that stuff.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck off, Apple. Your bullshit "cost-cutting" measures only help you and not your customers, since the price always goes up regardless of what you chop out.

I'm just glad I have a (somewhat) recent iPhone so I don't have to spend money on an upgrade any time soon. They somehow make these phones a worse deal EVERY time they revise them.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
Yeah, this is dumb. I'd love to think that prices will be adjusted to compensate and Apple will clearly communicate this but I have little faith.

It sucks because I'm generally for this from an e-waste perspective.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have at least 4 or 5 unused charger, so this is good. Chargers are unlikely to break. No earbud is bad as I am coming from iPhone 6s

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Lol Apple chargers and bricks are a hot commodity at work. Idk why they would be considered e-waste who throws that shit away

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The old 3.5 mm EarPods were good as backup buds for conference calls but ever since they moved to lightning they're just useless junk now

Deleted member 12028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not trying to justify this, but a lot people already have a ton of the white chargers me included. if they really wanted to reduce waste(I know this isnt why they are doing it) they should just ask if you need one at POS for free. It would still reduce cost, and not be a big money grab.

Last edited:

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Mixed feelings here. Apple knows iPhone users are usually upgrading and already have the power bricks. I know between iPhones and iPads I have two dozen of them. I usually use iPad chargers for my phone.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Tbh lightning EarPods are pretty worthless but got just bundle the fast charger everyone wants one. I really wish Apple would just give everyone a $30 credit with an iPhone purchase instead of including accessories at this point though it'd decrease waste while also offering a similar value.
That would be a perfect solution if it really was Apple's goal to reduce waste. They'd cut the charger and headphones from the box and give people the option to either get on optionally for free, or use that credit to buy something else in the Apple store (and probably spend more since so much stuff there is $$$).

But since this is clearly more of a cost cutting measure for them (less to manufacture, less packaging, probably cheaper shipping if boxes are smaller, etc), I doubt a gift card would ever happen unless it was at a Best Buy or a carrier as a new line bonus.

Howdyjacker

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
They make them extremely thin for a reason. Surprised at how highly rated apple products are but when you look at the accessories on their website they have terrible ratings. Everything seems to be thought up in such a way to make the most money from their users all the way from simple accessories to iCloud storage which fills up quickly when services like Google Photos offer free unlimited storage for photos and video.

Just the removal of the headphone jack coinciding with the launch of the AirPods should be enough for people to question their true motives but it seems like people just don't seem to care.

I know it's simple to say "well just dont buy Apple products" but the truth is that Apple has so much clout in the industry that any move they make will be adopted by other manufacturers who will see this as an opportunity to make more money by giving less to the consumer. So whatever Apple does in the end effects everyone.

Needs to be repeated.

Oct 27, 2017
My first thought was "typical Apple, always on their bullshit" but then I went in a drawer to get batteries and saw like five cables and a few blocks.

If you're replacing your phone every year or two anyway then fuck it, why waste the effort and materials.

Oct 25, 2017
I can kind of get behind this. I already have plenty of lightning and usb-c cables. Also the rumor is that the base model 12 will be cheaper than the 11 was, so this is a way to help make that happen. Since they already weren't including a fast charger in the box of the base models, I don't really see why they'd need to give you another crappy slow charging wall wart.

People who don't have any charger are going to have a better experience if they're pushed toward buying a fast charger - provided that Apple can manage the sticker shock by educating customers. People who do already have a charger have one less piece of clutter in a drawer and can get a phone for cheaper.

It also probably amounts to tons of environmental benefits by having less redundant chargers end up in landfills. This is probably the angle Apple will market the choice as.

Obviously the ideal would be that the phones were cheaper and still included a fast charger in the box, but this is Apple.

Last edited:

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
They make them extremely thin for a reason. Surprised at how highly rated apple products are but when you look at the accessories on their website they have terrible ratings. Everything seems to be thought up in such a way to make the most money from their users all the way from simple accessories to iCloud storage which fills up quickly when services like Google Photos offer free unlimited storage for photos and video.

Just the removal of the headphone jack coinciding with the launch of the AirPods should be enough for people to question their true motives but it seems like people just don't seem to care.

I know it's simple to say "well just dont buy Apple products" but the truth is that Apple has so much clout in the industry that any move they make will be adopted by other manufacturers who will see this as an opportunity to make more money by giving less to the consumer. So whatever Apple does in the end effects everyone.

I won't argue that everything Apple does is for the benefit of the customer but I think stuff like this is really funny because half the reason I got an iPhone 11 Pro Max (only my second iPhone) is because if I'm going to buy a flagship smartphone I'm gonna get the one that has actual long term software support. There isn't a single Android phone that has the long term support that every iPhone has had since, what, the 6? Imagine if the Galaxy 6 was still getting software updates and that's the kind of support iPhone 6S users have had. Why would I spend around $1k on a damn phone that won't get feature platform updates in 2 years, 3 at best? Having half the software support is also pretty anti consumer.

Painting Apple with broad anti consumer strokes is just hilarious when their phones last longer and Apple has been making security and privacy more of a focus than Android ever has. Is it really more anti consumer to remove earbuds and chargers from their phone packages than it is to track your device usage and sell advertisers your info? Or is it just a different monetization strategy?

And for what it's worth (usually nothing in these phone war pissing contests) the construction quality of the iPhone 11 I got is leagues above every Android I device I've had, Pixel XL included. Though sure, I do wish I still had a headphone jack and a type C port. Everything has pros and cons.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I had a quick look around to see if I had any 20w chargers in the house (as apparently everyone here has one). I do, but only because it was bought for me as a present.

I'll still be buying the iPhone 12 (my better half badly needs a new phone), but I wont lie, this pisses me off.

I mean - apple introducing a 20w charger doesn't mean thats what they're removing - they've shipped 5w in the basic phones for years.

I'd say most people have 5w chargers in their houses. I'd even think most people have 10-12w chargers (5v 2-2.4A) which will already charge faster than the pack-in.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
The price better reflect the removal of the charger and cable. But knowing apple... it won't

HarryHengst

Oct 27, 2017
Apple isnt interested in creating a good phone, it's whole reason to exist is to put money in the pockets of shareholders. The iPhone is just a really good way to do that, and by removing these kind of items, while maintaining or increasing the price level, they can shovel even more money to shareholders.

Seriously people, we all want capitalism, so stop being surprised if capitalism shows up to fuck you over.

Hubologist

Nov 1, 2017
Aren't these rumored to be cheaper? If there's any truth to that, I suppose this might explain how planned on absorbing the "discount".

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't these rumored to be cheaper? If there's any truth to that, I suppose this might explain how planned on absorbing the "discount".
The ideal thing would be the price would be cheap to reflect what apple normally runs these peripherals for. So if you already got some decent charger, more power to ya.
If you need to buy the the peripherals it could equate to what iphones normally run.
But that'd be too hopeful. Apple will try to churn out something to excuse it and some folks will just eat it up.

Apr 24, 2018
This seems to have happened with a few products recently in the gaming industry where there's no power adapter included (Playstation Classic, Turbo-grafx 16 mini)...hoped it wouldn't start happening with other tech devices (but it felt inevitable). Oh well, I just upgraded to an iphone 8 at the start of the year and likely won't get a new phone for at least 4 more years.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Me unpacking iPhone 12

On screen menu: "Please make sure the phone is fully charged before data transfering."

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
The price better reflect the removal of the charger and cable. But knowing apple... it won't
Price consumers pay for the phone isn't changing according to the report.

Kuo believes that iPhone 12 production costs will significantly increase due to 5G support, but he expects Apple to sell the new models at a comparable price to its iPhone 11 lineup, and removing the EarPods and power adapter from the box is one way to reduce costs.