• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
I understand no earbuds/headphones

But the lack of a charger is no bueno

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why is "power adapters being optional" a thing? If it's anything like Nintendo, people will defend it too like the blind fanboys they are.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm favor of reducing waste and pollution when 90-something% of people already have plenty of the cables.

Especially if ideally, it was reflected in the price.

I think weighing the slight inconvenience of buying a separate cable against that is really stupid and myopic.

Is that special enough for you?
Price will increase. This is Apple. And selling you 1000$+ phones with :

- No charging adapter
- No headphones
- No sim pin (because saving 1 ct on that metal pin to open the sim holder was critical)

Is just pure greed and has absolutely nothing to do with environmental wastes

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Mar 15, 2019
Brazil
I'm favor of reducing waste and pollution when 90-something% of people already have plenty of the cables.

I think weighing the slight inconvenience of buying a separate cable against that is really stupid and myopic.

you have to be really obtuse to think that Apple will drop the price

this is a shitty as fuck move, not everyone has chargers and earphones just laying around

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
hopefully other companies dont follow. id like to not spend 20 bucks on a charger that cost pennies to make. i dont keep a bunch of cables and chargers laying around like some people do

Oct 25, 2017
you have to be really obtuse to think that Apple will drop the price

this is a shitty as fuck move, not everyone has chargers and earphones just laying around
I'd have to be obtuse to think something I didn't say I thought, and which you can only guess at?

Sure.

Its a thousand dollar phone and you can get a phone charger for how much?

Consumerism winning over good sense yet again.

Klebby

Oct 25, 2017

This is about the charger, not the cable.
but if you actually want to get into the reduction of waste on cables, how about apple make them out of something that lasts more than a year? their cable quality is universally agreed to be shitty and produces incredible amounts of waste as a result.

And do you really think you're going to see a reduced price from apple? if you do then i guess the special tag really does apply.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the best course of action is to make the charger opt in when you buy the phone. No cost, just choose if you want one.

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
I love me apple products, this is completely stupid. Both earbuds and the charger should be included.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
People are still defending every decision Cupertino makes. Watch as the phones do not go down in price and there will be new defenses.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I have no problem not including headphones. I have at least 5 untouched pairs sitting in a drawer.

not including a charger is kind of shit, though they might be banking that enough people just have a USB c charger which is true for me

Red

Oct 26, 2017
If this shaves off $20-30 off the price of the phone, and the cost of buying a charger + earbuds adds up to the cost reduction of the phone itself, I think it's a good move. A lot of people don't need those extra parts, but would appreciate the reduced price.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Why are we all saying this is something that will 100% happen? Kuo has been wrong before. It's too early for very reliable Apple leaks.

Henry Jones Jr

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's a shitty move for sure. Especially for people who don't have a charger (however few they may be). You need to be able to charge the phone to use it.

But, if it's an awesome phone that I want to upgrade to, the lack of an included cheap charger is not going to hold me back from getting it.

Oct 25, 2017
This is about the charger, not the cable.
but if you actually want to get into the reduction of waste on cables, how about apple make them out of something that lasts more than a year? their cable quality is universally agreed to be shitty and produces incredible amounts of waste as a result.

And do you really think you're going to see a reduced price from apple? if you do then i guess the special tag really does apply.
-I mean the charger too
-Try reading my post re: what i "think"
-ThE w0rLd cAn onLy dO 1 tHiNg At a tImE

For real... "LeSs WasTe" wanna really help the environment?? Stop buying phones every FUCKING year
ThE w0rLd cAn onLy dO 1 tHiNg At a tImE

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cool. Still a dumb decision.
Cool everyone is still going to flock to buy the thing, and Apple will make a killing on selling the faster 20W chargers as well. The logic that everyone has these already and thus don't need one in the box is sound, and it makes more sense to charge $ instead for a premium (20W) charger.

Basically just people yelling at clouds in here.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about the charger, they always put the shitty ones in there anyway. No cable sucks

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand this feels rather cheap, on the other, is there really anyone here who wouldn't be able to charge the phone if it only came with the cable?
At some point I'd rather not have a charger, I already just keep using my old ones and rather not have the unneeded impact to the environment from transporting heavier/bigger boxes.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
This seems incredibly stupid not to have a charger included.

I really can't understand the logic behind it. It surely can't add that much to the cost and space so it's not even about profits. This is just crazy...

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This just looks embarrassing when people are paying frankly huge amounts of money for the top end iPhone these days.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cool everyone is still going to flock to buy the thing, and Apple will make a killing on selling the faster 20W chargers as well. The logic that everyone has these already and thus don't need one in the box is sound, and it makes more sense to charge $ instead for a premium (20W) charger.

No it's not sound anyone defending the lack of a charger is wrong and looks ridiculous. It's pathetic.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This seems incredibly stupid not to have a charger included.

I really can't understand the logic behind it. It surely can't add that much to the cost and space so it's not even about profits. This is just crazy...

They probably have an idea of how many people actually use the included charger, and decided it wasn't enough to justify the increase in box size (removing the charger would massive decrease box size), so they're moving to be an accessory if people want it. Hopefully the price lowers to justify it.

This is all assuming this is actually happening, which it might not at all.

Lazlow

Oct 27, 2017
Remember when they shipped an iPhone, with an included dock, and charged $300 less than they do now for a device that was revolutionary instead of evolutionary? Crazy times.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Nice! I calculate that is around a $100 savings on the phone itself then!

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
That's a problem for those first time phone buyers. Everybody else has a million of the damn things.

Less waste seems good.

you cannot honestly be defending a company not including a way to charge a product they are selling with the actual product?

dude this is fucking absurd

Zej

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Feels bad in the short term, but it makes sense with wireless charging being a thing.

I haven't needed a new charger between phones because of it.

It's time to switch the port to usb-c though...

Oct 28, 2017
Apple is gonna Apple. Wouldn't be surprised if they don't include the cable either.

Also people making justifications for this is just hilarious.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No it's not sound anyone defending the lack of a charger is wrong and looks ridicolus. It's pathetic.
Cool I'll trust your random hot take opinion over the undoubtedly well researched one reached by Apple's product team. Like them or hate them Apple seldom gets these things wrong, just like the push to eliminate 3.5mm.

I'll totally eat crow if this leads to backlash though. Just remember this post.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Hostility
Cool I'll trust your random hot take opinion over the undoubtedly well researched one reached by Apple's product team. Life them or hate them Apple seldom gets these things wrong, just like the push to eliminate 3.5mm.
Which they got wrong as well. You can fanboy all you want but no charger and no 3.5 are huge and constant fuck up's and deserve to be called out. Your ignorance and defending is sad and really shows you don't know what your talking about.

If this is your first phone and can't afford a charger you have your priorities wrong
How stupid do you have to be? it's not about not affording the phone it's about taking things away that shouldn't be removed and fanboys pretending it's a good thing.

OP
OP
Strakt

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017

Imagine defending a trillion dollar company

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
checks Apple stock, yep looks about right, that's gotta be a good cost saving for them