• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've owned a couple but I could never find a good use case, I would usually just end up browsing the internet on my phone, or on my Mac mini, Apple Watch and AirPods though, they are my favourite Apple products after their phones.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What happens if they eventually get the keyboard and mouse support up to par of the 13" MacBook Pro? Obviously app support is another thing, but at some point does the iPad Pro line replace the some of their laptops?

i would bet the lower-end macbooks still outsell the ipad pro, enough to keep them around. ipad sells more units overall but that's almost certainly due to the base ipad and how stupid cheap it often gets.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My Macbook is shitting the bed so I'm looking to replace my laptop with a Pro 12.9 inch. Gonna see how that works out.

I have a desktop PC and a crappy work laptop to fall back on, so I think that having one as my carry everywhere solution if I leave my work laptop at work. Plus, I'm a teacher so I don't need any speciality software, just the whole Google suite for education that we use.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i would bet the lower-end macbooks still outsell the ipad pro, enough to keep them around. ipad sells more units overall but that's almost certainly due to the base ipad and how stupid cheap it often gets.

Right, good point. I guess it really gets messy with the MacBook Pro 13", which is similar in price and yet not as powerful (?). Again, the mouse support hasn't reached the level of being to true laptop replacement nor has the support of productivity apps, but maybe at some point in the near future they do?

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
too much of what i do for work requires a windows environment so there's no straying from a proper laptop, or a Surface (which I also got for work). That said, any nonwork stuff, media consumption, quick surfing, etc is totally in ipad domain. I do exclusively use ipad minis as ever since its release I think the larger form factors are self defeating when the goal is media consumption and not creation.

Oct 29, 2017
I love using my iPad. The latest iPad OS updates have been really great with adding in full trackpad support. This has made it a much more versatile content creation/consuming device in my opinion. I think the next few years of iPad software and hardware changes are going to be fairly substantial too.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Last week Best Buy had base spec 10" iPads on sale for $250, so I grabbed one for my mom as a combined Mother's Day/Birthday gift. My mother likes to browse the Internet/Facebook with her iPhone, but has to crank the font size way up so she can comfortably read without her glasses. I'm hopeful the larger screen will make couch surfing more comfortable for her.

Solary

Banned
Nov 20, 2019
I found mine to be too big and heavy to be of any use, and sat gathering dust. I wanted something bigger to watch the odd movie / YouTube etc in bed. Too big, large to prop up and too heavy to hold up for a meaningful period of time.

ended up selling and putting money towards a XS Max phone which is a lot more comfortable.

I think the 7" iPad would be a better size for me but hasn't been updated in years.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Eh. I'm rocking a 2016 iPad Pro 9.7 and I just bought my first Mac ever in the 2020 MacBook Pro 13. Don't get me wrong the iPad is great, but when it comes to replacing a computer with it, I'd rather have the actual computer. Now if iPad gets thunderbolt 3 support....we can talk. As it is I've retired my Pro to side car use. A lot of my work applications don't work on it either as they detect it's a mobile device. Even with safari defaulting To the desktop site.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the 7" iPad would be a better size for me but hasn't been updated in years.
The iPad Mini was updated about a year ago, receiving the same processor (A12) as the iPhone XS and the current iPad Air (3rd gen), same generation as the 2018 & 2020 iPad Pros (A12X and A12Z respectively).

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
What iPad am I best served with if I mostly want it to read manga on? I feel like a Pro is way overkill but don't know if the base model or an Air makes more sense.
I can highly recommend the latest Mini. It's got amazing performance and is really light and comfortable for reading manga. I have tried the pro 11" and iPad Air and they're both far less comfortable than the mini. The latest mini also has Apple Pencil support.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
I bought an iPad 10 years ago during a NY trip. Didn't use it much and gave it way to my mom. Got a Pro this Monday with a pen - and shit, it's great. Lots of stuff happened in 10 years.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy how nice even the base model is, and it's regularly in the $250-280 range. Even drawing on it, there's no noticeable performance issues. Makes Chromebooks basically pointless, since it'll hit about the same price as a passable one of those even with the keyboard addon.

I don't think the iPhone is quite on this level in its own space given the price, and how common decent phones are now for basically dirt cheap. With the iPad here's just absolutely no reason to get another brand of tablet or a sub-$500 laptop over an iPad for most people. Although the iPhone SE2 is insanely powerful for $400 so that may have just changed.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
I can highly recommend the latest Mini. It's got amazing performance and is really light and comfortable for reading manga. I have tried the pro 11" and iPad Air and they're both far less comfortable than the mini. The latest mini also has Apple Pencil support.

Excellent! I'll look more closely at the Mini based on your recommendation (thank you!). Hadn't looked too closely prior to your post but I see it's a good deal bigger than my phone (an iPhone X) and I can easily see that being the perfect size (and price) for what I'm looking for.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Base one is basically IPhone 7 innards I think but still a neat tablet. Get the new chip in there at that a low price and a winner for long time.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
??? Anyone else make the jump from that to a more recent model?
I don't think so unless you need to use the Apple Pencil.
I had an Air 2 before getting my pro, and if it wasn't because I wanted the pencil for note taking I'd probably have stuck with it, but I found a good sale on both, so....

It's a pretty good invention, and it's the Apple products I like most. I used it most back in university for note taking and reading (Good notes is a godsend of an app) and just used it for internet browsing lately to not turn on my laptop, but with WFH I've used it a ton when reading documents, since I can take notes again (used to print stuff in the office) and as a second screen with duet.

Oct 27, 2017
I really love mine. I got a 7th gen maybe 2 months ago as my first entry into the Apple ecosystem since the iPhone 4. Since then I picked up an Apple Watch Series 3 and an SE 2020. I love that I can plop my phone on the charging pad when I walk in the door and just pick right up on my iPad.

Man, I'm impressed by all of them but having gone from a Wear OS watch to the Apple Watch? That's the biggest mind-blower.

If the rumors from today hold true and they refresh the line this fall, I may just pick up the new iPad and give this one to my girlfriend. It's such a darned great Youtube/browsing/gaming/productivity powerhouse. I've got the whole Office 365 suite at my disposal and I use it to do work stuff in the comfort of my home and even for school. Hell, I even picked up a few cheap Bluetooth keyboards with trackpads.

Chaofahn

Nov 16, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
All I need from my 12.9" iPad Pro (2018) is proper screen mirroring & extending, and it'll replace my MacBook Pro.

Definitely one of the higher premium products from Apple, loving every bit of it!

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so unless you need to use the Apple Pencil.
I had an Air 2 before getting my pro, and if it wasn't because I wanted the pencil for note taking I'd probably have stuck with it, but I found a good sale on both, so....

It's a pretty good invention, and it's the Apple products I like most. I used it most back in university for note taking and reading (Good notes is a godsend of an app) and just used it for internet browsing lately to not turn on my laptop, but with WFH I've used it a ton when reading documents, since I can take notes again (used to print stuff in the office) and as a second screen with duet.
I don't. Honestly, the only problem I have with it is that the battery is dying, and i may as well trade it in and get the 80 bucks or whatever they say they'll offer towards an upgrade as opposed to spending 90 or 100 on a battery.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Glad I found this thread (and sorry for the bump!) but I'm able to get an iPad 6th Gen (32GB) for £250 brand new and I was wondering whether it would be worth it?

I basically want it for reading comics/manga as well as watching Netflix and the like. I've got no need to use it for productivity purposes and, whilst I might get an Apple Pencil to play around with it, I won't be using it for art/drawing either. Would it do well for those purposes, or should I look into something else?

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Glad I found this thread (and sorry for the bump!) but I'm able to get an iPad 6th Gen (32GB) for £250 brand new and I was wondering whether it would be worth it?

I basically want it for reading comics/manga as well as watching Netflix and the like. I've got no need to use it for productivity purposes and, whilst I might get an Apple Pencil to play around with it, I won't be using it for art/drawing either. Would it do well for those purposes, or should I look into something else?

Since the iPad Air 2, the base iPads have been an ideal choice for casual entertainment.

While your power user figures out a best use case for the expensive models, yes, the regular iPads are outstanding for just sitting around and consuming entertainment.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Since the iPad Air 2, the base iPads have been an ideal choice for casual entertainment.

While your power user figures out a best use case for the expensive models, yes, the regular iPads are outstanding for just sitting around and consuming entertainment.

Thanks! My main worry is the weight and form factor. How easy it is to hold something like this up for a while, or prop it up whilst in bed? Some of the comments earlier in the thread have me worried slightly, but the iPad mini is £150 more and I just can't justify that kind of expense at the moment.

(Also how feasible is it to watch/read stuff whilst in the bath? This is a legitimate deciding factor for me lol)

EDIT: Oh, and will the 32GB be a hindrance for me? in this day and age that's honestly really, really small especially since it'll only be around 20GB in reality after firmware)

Last edited:

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! My main worry is the weight and form factor. How easy it is to hold something like this up for a while, or prop it up whilst in bed? Some of the comments earlier in the thread have me worried slightly, but the iPad mini is £150 more and I just can't justify that kind of expense at the moment.

(Also how feasible is it to watch/read stuff whilst in the bath? This is a legitimate deciding factor for me lol)

EDIT: Oh, and will the 32GB be a hindrance for me? in this day and age that's honestly really, really small especially since it'll only be around 20GB in reality after firmware)

32GB is fine if you're mostly using it for web browsing, ebooks, and streaming video. none of that requires much local storage. and all the ipads are pretty light at this point except the 12.9" imo, and the ipad mini is too small for my taste when it comes to comics and video

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Another thing the regular iPads are great for is education.

As a regular user, I think they offer a tremendous value but as a teacher, I await being able to buy them for 100 bucks or less. We keep a charging case full of them for the younger kids.

Even the iPad Mini 2 was a great tablet for many education apps. They make the best tablet learning apps exclusively for iOS.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Samsung Tab S6 cries
I am currently writing this on a Tab S6, and for my purpose it's a great tablet. My use case might be particular though as I don't care about it as a computing device, my T480 got that covered. I needed a digital notepad, to replace any use of paper. I also wanted an active pen, that lets me rest my palm on the screen while writting, and charges by attaching to the tablet.
The S6 and its pen is great for that. Got it for under 600. Im sure an iPad Pro with Apple Pen 2 would have worked out too, but cost me easily north of 1000.

Dec 11, 2017
Just picked up an 11" Pro (2020) and am waiting on the Pencil 2 and Magic Keyboard to be delivered. I love it already.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
I am currently writing this on a Tab S6, and for my purpose it's a great tablet. My use case might be particular though as I don't care about it as a computing device, my T480 got that covered. I needed a digital notepad, to replace any use of paper. I also wanted an active pen, that lets me rest my palm on the screen while writting, and charges by attaching to the tablet.
The S6 and its pen is great for that. Got it for under 600. Im sure an iPad Pro with Apple Pen 2 would have worked out too, but cost me easily north of 1000.

base ipads also work with pencil now

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
The Apple Pen 2 as well? As I said, I wanted something that charges via connecting to the tablet (I really don't need another tiny device which I need to remember to charge).

the first one also charges by connecting to the tablet, just much more awkwardly Lol. Though I guess if I were saving several hundred dollars I might would be ok with the trade off. Luckily it also does the fast charging.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the first one also charges by connecting to the tablet, just much more awkwardly Lol. Though I guess if I were saving several hundred dollars I might would be ok with the trade off. Luckily it also does the fast charging.

I still can't believe Apple solution to the first Apple Pencil was having it plug-in directly into the charging port and have a stick out like that

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I wish there were more interesting home screen widgets for ipad os. More dynamic or something. I like my weather one but want more.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
I still can't believe Apple solution to the first Apple Pencil was having it plug-in directly into the charging port and have a stick out like that

They never intended for people to fully charge it like that. The idea is that you'd pop it in for 30 seconds to get 30 mins of charge when the battery is running low.

They ship a female to female adaptor in the box so you can use any lightning cable to properly charge it when you're at home.

The Pencil 2 is a much better design all around though.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
2 hours screen on time, 1h32min screen off time (with some off playing twitch in the background), 42% of that is from youtube, 20% is from twitch, 19 and 10 from Safari and Discord and battery is still at 100% lol.

I know iOS / iPad OS is a bit known for displaying 100% longer than normal before it starts counting down but I like that I can still be impressed by the Pro's battery after so many months.

Last edited:

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
As a die hard android fan, and person who generally dislikes most of apple's policies.

iPads are easily the best tablets on the market.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
On a 10.5" 2019 iPad Air for now - waiting on a 12.9" MiniLED Pro to come out.

Need an upgrade for maximum comic book reading!

Deleted member 8166

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
my new Sky-blue iPad Air 2020 says you are right. That thing is amazing, what an upgrade to my 2016 iPad Pro