• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mouse support is so close. But not there yet. Especially in Safari.

Apart from that, I love my iPad Pro. Might even shell out for that stupid expensive keyboard cover.

I took to the cursor support almost instantly, it's pretty amazing how they managed to get a cursor to feel right on a touch UI

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yep. The new keyboard from the pro model is making me retire my MBP.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I agree OP.

I don't like iPhones but I love my iPad. I love my MBP too, but you can't beat the portability and simplicity of the iPad.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
I own an iPad for work or travel, but I honestly don't know where it fits in during my day to day. The only major use I have outside of work is using it while I'm cooking for recipes, videos or side activities. I'd rather use my laptop or phone in bed or for most other activities.

iPhone still wins for me due to form factor.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
The conclusion is that to some it may be the best Apple device and to others it is a waste of space. To claim it as THE best Apple device is silly.
I mean I agree with you. The iPhone is still the best. I'm trying to get you to see that calling the iPad useless is just as silly a statement is all.

Shadow-Link

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Completely Agree. I have the $329 7th gen (actually got it for $250 on best buy).

It is the best value for money in the apple lineup.

Nakho

Nov 1, 2017
I hate how fragile the screen is/was on them. I've had two iPad Air 1 and they both ended up with big cracks on the screen, which began with thin cracks that just appeared out of nowhere, without having dropped them or anything. My brother had the same problem on his, same model.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I took to the cursor support almost instantly, it's pretty amazing how they managed to get a cursor to feel right on a touch UI

I've been using with a Magic Mouse and I'm not totally in love.

No right click with the Magic Mouse feels weird (although it does have with a trackpad) but stuff like moving a card on Trello didn't even work on the web version. It's like so close but still a bit too far.

I'm really hopeful that with iPadOS 14 and like 6 months it will be much better but currently it still feels lacking.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Really? I'm due for an upgrade as my daughter is using my 2014 MBP for homeschooling. I've been debating this very train of thought and would love to know why you feel this way.
Let me give you my workflow.

-I can use Word, Excel, Powerpoint via my 365 subscription. MS did a great job with the iPadOS version of these apps.
-Safari is great on iPad. So my browsing needs are satisfied.
-I can draw easily with the Appl Pencil using Procreate. This is much better on iPads obviously. No need for a Wacom or anything.
-iPadOS has mouse and trackpad support. The new keyboard has a built-in trackpad
-iPadOS has support for keyboard shortcuts so I can still do things like Alt Tabbing to switch apps.
-I can use the Split View for viewing multiple apps at once.
-Apple Shortcuts lets you create some rather neat automations.

My MBP is getting dusty. I'll still keep it as a redundant machine, though. But I don't use it anymore. I have a iMac as my primary machine.

However, with the pricing, unless your daughter is a big artist, I'd recommend the new Macbook Airs. Getting a kitted up iPadPro, Pencil 2.0, and keyboard is pricey.

It's biggest killer app is the drawing features with the apple pencil.

There is a cheaper option. You can get the "regular" iPad. It starts at 329 and supports the keyboard and pencil 1.0.

There's also the iPad Air is you need slightly better screens, camera and better internals.

You can always test drive and return it. Apple has a 14-day return policy.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'd go one step further and call it the ultimate electronic, for me at least as an artist. It is truly the first legitimate electronic sketchbook/notebook.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
I've had to many at this point to count. The early ones really were significant upgrades year over year. I don't use them that much, but their effect on everything we do has really been remarkable. It's still kind of crazy to me how often you see them at stores for ringing people out and restaurants. That much processing power in such a small but usable device is great.

Snake Eater

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been using with a Magic Mouse and I'm not totally in love.

No right click with the Magic Mouse feels weird (although it does have with a trackpad) but stuff like moving a card on Trello didn't even work on the web version. It's like so close but still a bit too far.

I'm really hopeful that with iPadOS 14 and like 6 months it will be much better but currently it still feels lacking.

Perhaps the magic keyboard is a different experience

raschi

Oct 27, 2017
The iPad is useless for me without multi user support.
I'm not buying a separate iPad for each family member.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
The iPad is useless for me without multi user support.
I'm not buying a separate iPad for each family member.
That's a big feature request that people have been hammering Apple on for years. I think it will happen in time. It's already available for enterprises.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
I will always prefer laptops over tablets. That said, it's fun watching my sons love my old launch 2010 iPad running iOS 5.1. There are some random kids games on there and Netflix still runs fine. It's gotta weigh as-much-as two 2020 iPads combined.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
It's kinda crazy how Google/Android just seems to have given up on the tablet market, leaving iPad to dominate and Microsoft Surface to fight for scraps.

Funny to think that when Apple announced it, the iPad was pretty soundly criticized for just being a "bigger iPhone" because it was running iOS rather than OSX or some desktop operating system. The app ecosystem is now robust enough that most consumers can do whatever they want with it.

All that said, I still have trouble finding much use for my iPad Mini, beyond being an eReader for novels and comics. I think the AirPods have been a much more useful and life-changing device.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Only briefly typed on the keyboard attachment and I wasn't too fond but not enough time to say either way. I feel like iPad and Surface/PC Tablets has their pluses and negatives, iPad is just so much better because of easy to use apps and iphone familarity, nice device. Surface does more being a PC but I honestly never enjoyed using them or the keyboard attachment so a standard laptop always felt more right. There isn't quite that tablet/PC that I want resulting in only the need for one but iPads are pretty awesome, I still like the freedom and form factor of a laptop PC.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
The non pro ipads.. nah. The pro versions? Hell yea. 120hz and the amazing design are awesome.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Android phones had many of the problems that the tablets had, but eventually everything settled and coalesced. I would have expected the same thing to happen with tablets, especially since Apple did nothing to cater to the sub-$300 market and many people simply do not want to spend more than $200 on a tablet.

I guess the real problem is that the market for tablets is simply not as immense as the one for phones. Less wiggle room for app developers as well as hardware manufacturers, with users less prone to annual or bi-annual upgrades.

sonnyboy

Oct 25, 2017
Let me give you my workflow.

-I can use Word, Excel, Powerpoint via my 365 subscription. MS did a great job with the iPadOS version of these apps.
-Safari is great on iPad. So my browsing needs are satisfied.
-I can draw easily with the Appl Pencil using Procreate. This is much better on iPads obviously. No need for a Wacom or anything.
-iPadOS has mouse and trackpad support. The new keyboard has a built-in trackpad
-iPadOS has support for keyboard shortcuts so I can still do things like Alt Tabbing to switch apps.
-I can use the Split View for viewing multiple apps at once.
-Apple Shortcuts lets you create some rather neat automations.

My MBP is getting dusty. I'll still keep it as a redundant machine, though. But I don't use it anymore. I have a iMac as my primary machine.

However, with the pricing, unless your daughter is a big artist, I'd recommend the new Macbook Airs. Getting a kitted up iPadPro, Pencil 2.0, and keyboard is pricey.

It's biggest killer app is the drawing features with the apple pencil.

There is a cheaper option. You can get the "regular" iPad. It starts at 329 and supports the keyboard and pencil 1.0.

There's also the iPad Air is you need slightly better screens, camera and better internals.

You can always test drive and return it. Apple has a 14-day return policy.

Thank you for the well detailed response. You essentially have the exact setup that I'm looking to mimic. Thanks!

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still have an iPad Air 2. I love it. Still works great, outside of battery issues. Is it worth upgrading?

Soybean

Nov 12, 2017
Yep. The new keyboard from the pro model is making me retire my MBP.
Yeah, I'm retiring a 12" MacBook because of the iPad Pro 12.9 + Magic Keyboard. I do want a Mac again for iOS app development at some point, but that's a hobby and I'm not in a hurry.

For work I have a Windows 10 laptop (bleh) so these days that's my main computing device, but for quick tasks I use the outstanding Blink ssh terminal app. The limited multitasking is sort of a blessing, actually, in that I often have nothing in front of me but an ssh terminal so I can focus on coding and debugging with less temptation to switch to something else. With tmux I can maintain sessions between the iPad and my work machine so I can pick up from where I left off seamlessly. It's also so fast to jump in with Face ID and the general speed of the iPad. The cellular is nice for working anywhere, whenever that becomes an option once again.

And for other tasks like email, web browsing, and editing documents it's quite ideal for all the reasons others have stated. And popping this thin slab off the keyboard to read or watch something is so nice too.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Easily, especially on a 12.9. I do that constantly with Safari and Discord running in splitscreen (75/25 ratio) and a video running in PiP in the bottom left corner.
I can never get the hang of PiP and other popover options, and I find splitscreen weird because both apps become nailed together for a while.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Have had the iPad Pro (2018) since last September. I fully agree with the OP. I will probably get that new keyboard thingy because it's backlit at some point. I love spending my free time on the iPad and separate this from my Dell Windows laptop that I primarily use for work (and occasionally for gaming). I like the dock and folder/taskbar function though some apps who I wish supported it just don't, but that's not on Apple. Just hope Apple won't block game streaming forever. Probably will need some legal action here though. This beauty of a screen will be perfect for that on weekends when I visit my parents. Not very hopeful though.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I upgraded to the 11" 2018 model after owning the original iPad air2 for 4 years . iPad is honestly the best tablet bar none on the market no android tablet can touch it . I only owned android phones but f tablets iPad is king.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I never find myself never wanting a iPad Pro keyboard case, wheras my Surface Pro is always connected to a keyboard case or a full desk setup. All of the ipad keyboard cases seem so big and heavy that they make using the iPad a bit weird. I find the slim folio case on the iPad Pro 11" to be heavy enough that I frequently remove it.
O1CN01rQO8Lz1FUSckmCfXn_!!2957170490.jpg

For iPad I'm using the grey Logitech K380 keyboard. It's shame that the cute and cool colours are limited to certain regions. I like the red and pink ones. I gotta dress mine up with some stickers.

There's a rather big difference between a separate keyboard and mouse and an all-in-one integrated solution which basically makes the iPad a smaller, sleeker and faster macbook pro.

But the beauty is that everyone can use whatever they prefer. I can definitely see the use of a full-size keyboard and mouse over a trackpad. But personally, i'm putting my macbook pro up for sale after receiving my magic keyboard.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
What iPad am I best served with if I mostly want it to read manga on? I feel like a Pro is way overkill but don't know if the base model or an Air makes more sense.

Many years back bought the third or fourth iPad revision and didn't end up using it much at all, for whatever that is worth.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i can't believe it took them almost a decade to add a download manager to ipad safari but thank god it's there.

being able to get files on/off my SMB share in files.app has proven very useful too.

What iPad am I best served with if I mostly want it to read manga on? I feel like a Pro is way overkill but don't know if the base model or an Air makes more sense.

Many years back bought the third or fourth iPad revision and didn't end up using it much at all, for whatever that is worth.

base model is fine for just reading stuff.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
There is absolutely no reason to buy an $800+ iPad unless you're using it like a computer.

It's like pointing a bazooka at an ant for entertainment.

Escaflow

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The day it can run VS code and net core natively is the day I'm going to buy an iPad pro.

BTW how is the reflection with the non laminated screen on normal iPad? Also is the white spot still occurring on iPad pro 11?

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL

Base model or Air. I would go Air because it has a laminated screen and looks better but the base model is just fine for media consumption!

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Their great for me to draw, animate and read ebooks, but I'd use it more (upgrade to pro) if it had MacOS.
It'd be cool if I could just chill in the sofa and edit in Final Cut.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What happens if they eventually get the keyboard and mouse support up to par of the 13" MacBook Pro? Obviously app support is another thing, but at some point does the iPad Pro line replace the some of their laptops?

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in such a tough spot, the Air 2 is becoming really, really sluggish when loading a couple of tabs and switching between media-heavy apps... I want to get the Pro so bad but the incredibly mild refresh is giving me second thoughts, which is compounded by the fact that they could refresh it again in the fall and give it a proper A14X CPU...
Mini-LED is probably not happening until fall 2021, but is there a refresh on the horizon for this holiday season?
If I knew for sure there's no refresh with A14X this year, I'd go out and get the A12Z one right this second.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I agree mainly just because Android tablet support is utter shit. iPhone I find too restrictive vs Android on a phone. Same goes for Mac vs windows.