• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I dislike iPhones, but I got an iPad for some stuff at work and it's great. Got it today and am messing around with it. Only problem is having to use iTunes to get files onto it is fucking garbage.

OP
OP
Spinluck

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Google made the GOAT tablet, the Nexus 7. Super comfortable to hold.
I had an iPad and it hurt my hands to hold. The edges are not comfortable at all, it's too heavy, and basically impossible to read on. Never again.

Nexus 7 was a great machine for hacking.

Kali Linux community did some cool shit with that thing.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
The new keyboards with trackpads have made iPads even more amazing. People like to shit on Apple about the cost of their stuff but omg this Magic Keyboard is absolutely incredible.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I just got a 5k iMac, and I can't believe the screen. Every time I sit down I just have so much appreciation for how pretty it is.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I just got a 5k iMac, and I can't believe the screen. Every time I sit down I just have so much appreciation for how pretty it is.
Yeah I have had the 5K iMac. I thought I got it on release like 5 years ago and it is amazing.

I never see the need for my television but its so nice on a computer that is 1-3 feet from your face. And at that res its so easy to have 8 windows open on your screen at the same time.

Oct 25, 2017
Google made the GOAT tablet, the Nexus 7. Super comfortable to hold.
I had an iPad and it hurt my hands to hold. The edges are not comfortable at all, it's too heavy, and basically impossible to read on. Never again.
It was a bit too small for comic reading for me

It's also another line of products in the Google graveyard..

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
What about an iPad Mini with the same style screen as the iPad Pro? So 2388 x 1668 in a 8.7" package? Would it be better than the 11" variant?

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
possibly. Personally I'm just not into tablets that much. I have the 10.5 inch ipad pro, and it spends most of the time on a shelf collecting dust.

TojoT

Oct 30, 2017
I quite enjoyed my iPad Pro (2017) for the first two-ish years, but the battery degredation on my device has been pretty bad and I really don't like the lightning cable. Glad they switched to usb-c for the new Pro model.

I still don't know if I'd pick up a new iPad Pro due to my experience with the battery fall off. I've had some build quality niggles, but that's mostly due to my expectation that it'd be a little more rugged for traveling. I doubt it's a problem for normal office and home use. Though, I never enjoyed doing any kind of productivity on mine (and I completely stopped using the pencil after the first month), so right now I doubt I'd get another Pro. I can definitely see the appeal of it, but for me it's been kind of meh the last year.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just ordered the 12 inch iPad Pro with the pencil. The pencil arrived this week, and the iPad will arrive next week! I cannot wait based on what people in this thread are saying.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
The iPad Pro 12" USB-C model is the biggest improvement since iPad 2. I only have the first model of it, but just a massive exterior change from the previous iPad Pro; super slim, way better pencil experience, great battery life. The only thing I struggled with was constantly having situations where I wanted the smaller or bigger model - I'm glad I went for the bigger model but back in the days where I worked at an office, smaller would have been handier. At home, for reading or drawing, the bigger model is clearly better.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I would love an iPad Pro but they are pretty damn expensive and I feel like I'd abuse it by watching things on it.

what do people you use this for?

Mar 3, 2018
I have a MacBook Pro, but my iPad Pro 12.9 is my fav device as an educator. Use it a lot when I'm teaching my pre-K kids. Have been using it on zoom as well to screen share some apps and stories and other things with the kids. They love it.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
My 12.9" 2018 Pro is unquestionably my most consistently utilized device. It is the best electronic device I've ever purchased. Procreate and Adobe Fresco are amazing.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda crazy how Google/Android just seems to have given up on the tablet market, leaving iPad to dominate and Microsoft Surface to fight for scraps.

Funny to think that when Apple announced it, the iPad was pretty soundly criticized for just being a "bigger iPhone" because it was running iOS rather than OSX or some desktop operating system. The app ecosystem is now robust enough that most consumers can do whatever they want with it.

All that said, I still have trouble finding much use for my iPad Mini, beyond being an eReader for novels and comics. I think the AirPods have been a much more useful and life-changing device.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I love my 10.5" Pro model. The hardware mostly. Will be nice if the iPhones do indeed get updated to a similar look and feel. Macbooks too to be honest.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
I am hoping to get an iPad Pro with the Magic Keyboard later this year. I've always like iPads when I used them in the past. Great pieces of technology.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I want to get an iPad but I also want to get a new phone. The SE looks too small for my tastes. I might just get an Android phone but I haven't found the right one.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I like my iPad Pro, but I hate the fact that there was a common problem with the model I got where the screen would develop light spots on it. From what I read it has something to do with how the screen is bonded to the surface. It has to be a design flaw because it happens in the same spot for everyone who encounters it.

ipadprodisplayhotspot-800x600.jpg

www.macrumors.com

Some 2017 10.5-Inch and 12.9-Inch iPad Pro Displays Suffering From Bright Spot Above Home Button

Some 10.5-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models that were originally released in 2017 appear to be suffering from a display issue that causes a bright...

It's pretty damn annoying but the cost to repair or replace doesn't seem worth it.
I had this on my MacBook and Apple replaced it the screen. With AppleCare+ though.

NeonCarbon

Oct 28, 2017
Yes!, I've been using them daily as my main consumption device since the first version...back in 2010 damn.

Still have plenty of laptops, desktop, and phone, but iPad is perfect for web, Twitter, Twitch/YouTube etc on sofa and bed.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda crazy how Google/Android just seems to have given up on the tablet market, leaving iPad to dominate and Microsoft Surface to fight for scraps.

Funny to think that when Apple announced it, the iPad was pretty soundly criticized for just being a "bigger iPhone" because it was running iOS rather than OSX or some desktop operating system. The app ecosystem is now robust enough that most consumers can do whatever they want with it.

All that said, I still have trouble finding much use for my iPad Mini, beyond being an eReader for novels and comics. I think the AirPods have been a much more useful and life-changing device.

The iPad has come a long way in capabilities since then by adding a bunch of functionality that were previously lacking and offering a significantly better pricing structure than what was previously offered. The criticisms were warranted... it was legitimately just a bigger iPhone and they didn't design the software to properly leverage from the hardware...

Realyst

Oct 27, 2017
My 2018 12.9 has been amazing as a second screen/device while I WFH. I use it for Google Meet and chat, and sometimes non-work related items (browsing Era, Reddit, YouTube, etc.).

Multitasking on it works very well. I really wish I could use its full resolution in YouTube (stuck at 1080p60 max).

After work I mainly use it to read, stream, and browse, which can feel like a waste for something so powerful. I have a Pencil but hardly use it outside of note taking and making crude diagrams (I unfortunately suck at drawing).

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I've yet to find a place for a tablet in my life despite owning one. I️ used it for comics for awhile then went back to buying them physically. Maybe for people with a family and need their own screen. Completely useless for a single twenty something.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN

Samsung is still making android tablets no?

Google has moved onto focusing on Chromebooks.

Oct 25, 2017
They really are. At least the mid-range is is still a good value for the hardware it's putting out. The Pro keeps getting price inflated but is not gaining useful features, the software is still years from being a useful laptop replacement so it shouldn't be priced like one.

In fact that software issue is what really prevents them from being great in the first place. It has a narrow set of use-cases that mostly involve browsing or reading anything else and a cheaper laptop is really going to be a lot more useful. This is something MS got right with Surface they just don't have the hardware quite right.

2PiR

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Yes iPad is hands down the best tablet you can buy for media consumption. Bought one for my mom like 4 years ago, still going strong.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I don't disagree.

The iPad Pro is nearly flawless. Wish it had OLED and a slightly better files system - but otherwise, from a hardware perspective, it leaves me wanting nothing. Rounded corners + 120hz + touch to wake + small bezels + iPhone 5 design + no notch + lightning fast + plenty of storage + Wifi 6 + USBC. Throw in the best stylus on the market and the beautiful Magic Keyboard and it just can't be beat.

The MK has gotten me using my 2018 11" iPP so much that I just ordered a 12.9" 2020 model to replace it.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
I've yet to find a place for a tablet in my life despite owning one. I️ used it for comics for awhile then went back to buying them physically. Maybe for people with a family and need their own screen. Completely useless for a single twenty something.
When I had one, it was a second screen. Literally all I used it for was to stream live events while watching something else or playing a game.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
They are probably the best Apple device for the money for what you get (the 10.2 models) and because of the variety of third party accessories which can improve the experience.

The iPhone SE has poor battery life and the Pixel 3A photography is significantly better. Don't @ me.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I definitely agree, although it's important to keep expectations in check regarding 'laptop replacement'.

I bought a 2018 iPad Pro 11" with pencil about five months ago and I've been really enjoying it. I mostly use it for drawing and notes, and the matte screen protector is a game changer. For the last four years all of my PC work has been done on Surface Pro, so I'm very used to compact setups and magnetic pens.

I expected to use it mostly for Procreate, but I spend most of my time with Goodnotes. It is so nice to write on this thing.

I wish file management was better. I die a little when apps demand my images are in Photos, or they make it difficult to load/save non-iCloud files.

Last edited:

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I got one in 2012 i think and ended up selling it after like 6 months cause I hardly used it. I recelty got gifted one (2018 model?) and I still barely use it compared to my slim laptop. Not just ipad i also had an android tablet that i sold after a year as well. I guess tablets just dont really do it for me.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree.

The iPad Pro is nearly flawless. Wish it had OLED and a slightly better files system - but otherwise, from a hardware perspective, it leaves me wanting nothing. Rounded corners + 120hz + touch to wake + small bezels + iPhone 5 design + no notch + lightning fast + plenty of storage + Wifi 6 + USBC. Throw in the best stylus on the market and the beautiful Magic Keyboard and it just can't be beat.

The MK has gotten me using my 2018 11" iPP so much that I just ordered a 12.9" 2020 model to replace it.

Not perfect to me, but damn close. A device like this such have a head phone jack, just as most laptops do. More choice/flexible is always the better option. This is not a deal breaker for me, but I can never call this a perfect device based on what it's meant for when it has a blaring omission like this.

Mini LED may be the better option over OLED in the future because of burn-in, but I still love the screen.

I'm never going to spend $350 on a keyboard accessory - I don't give a shit how nice it is or if I even consider it perfect.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've yet to find a place for a tablet in my life despite owning one.
Honestly, same. iPads and some of the higher-end android tablets all seem like great devices. But between already owning a smartphone and a laptop, I've pretty much got everything covered. If I drew or read digital books more regularly I could see the appeal.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I like my iPad Pro, but I hate the fact that there was a common problem with the model I got where the screen would develop light spots on it. From what I read it has something to do with how the screen is bonded to the surface. It has to be a design flaw because it happens in the same spot for everyone who encounters it.

ipadprodisplayhotspot-800x600.jpg

www.macrumors.com

Some 2017 10.5-Inch and 12.9-Inch iPad Pro Displays Suffering From Bright Spot Above Home Button

Some 10.5-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models that were originally released in 2017 appear to be suffering from a display issue that causes a bright...

It's pretty damn annoying but the cost to repair or replace doesn't seem worth it.
Yeah, I had that problem with my 10.5" 2017 Pro, luckily developed a few months after I got it near launch so it had a warranty yet. Sent it in and they gave me a replacement which hasn't had any flaws so far after 2 and a half years. Don't runderstand why some have it and some don't.

Anyways, I agree. I use my iPad for multiple hours a day every day. Play games, stream my desktop PC, read books/comics, draw, web browse, watch Netflix etc, and a ton of other stuff. An iPhone is just too small for all the stuff I do on it and a laptop wouldnt be near as convenient the way I use it.

Mainly a media consumption device, but if I had the need to I'd definitely use it as a work device. I don't have a laptop, just desktops, but I don't feel like I need one.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Just got one (Air 3) and it's the best device I've ever had the pleasure to draw on.

iPad + Apple Pencil (and a paper feel screen protector) = 🤯🤯🤯

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
The 10.5" iPad Pro is the only Apple device I own, and I love it. Got it a couple months ago. Fantastic device. Now my tablet and phone (Galaxy S20+) both have 120hz, and I can't go back to 60hz touch devices anymore. Everything else feels so comparatively sluggish. My only complaint about the iPad is the mediocre black levels.

It's funny, though. A couple days ago I brought my iPad Pro down to my brother's house, and he was showing me his 6th gen iPad, and the 6th gen iPad felt kind of...cheap compared to the 10.5" Pro. Felt thick and light, whereas the Pro is thin and dense and really high quality feeling. And of course the screen quality difference was massive in every way.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, same. iPads and some of the higher-end android tablets all seem like great devices. But between already owning a smartphone and a laptop, I've pretty much got everything covered. If I drew or read digital books more regularly I could see the appeal.

Tablets are still for the most part a convenience device. Back in the day, I gave myself a rule that I would never spend more than $200-$300 or so on these things because I recognized that this WAS a convenience device and there may be a time where I just stop using it entirely. I don't like buying shit that I won't use. The devices have obviously become much more capable. You can argue that for phones as well. If you connect a Samsung flagship via usb C/HDMI to a monitor, it becomes a full fledged desktop experience!

Anyways... I've owned numerous tablets and they were all good to great... except for one of the amazon fire tablets, which sucked because of the performance.

I broke my rule and purchased my current tablet, iPad Pro 10.5. The net cost for it was around $450 new and I realized that it would still have decent resale value if I ever decided to get rid of it. I became more interested in getting an iPad after I installed iOS 12 (I think) on my mom's iPad Air 2 and witnessed a significant performance boost. I think this was the version where they started adding more features to make the iPad more and more of capable productivity device. The iPad Air 2, a device that old was still a joy to use and this ended up being the game changer for me. The 120hz was just the icing on the cake. If I never bought that iPad Pro, I probably would have picked up one the 10.2 devices on sale by now.