• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
now I have a new dilemma, is 256 enough?
No-one can really answer that question for you, but other than maybe something like 4K video editing, or storing a lot of media on the device locally rather than using streaming/cloud services, I can't think of much reason that people would need more than 256GB on an iOS device.
If you are new to iOS, one of its useful features is that it will offload photos and videos to the cloud automatically if you have an iCloud storage plan, rather than having to store them on the device.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Hi

My girlfriend wants us to get a 512 10.5 pro, main use drawing and design, her profession. I know that there are alternatives and want to be sure the iPad is the best option, since I'm paying half of the thing lol and the with the pen is going to be 1200 euros.

A lot of illustrators have been moving to iPad Pro's
over other devices because of size, portability, and battery life.

I wouldn't recommend a 10.5, I'd instead opt for an 11" at 256GB. Even then, 256 may be overkill if she has a Creative Cloud subscription.

You have to think about how much cloud storage is readily available for "free". Between ICloud, Creative Cloud, and Google Drive, big storage on a portable device isn't really necessary.

hitmon

Oct 26, 2017
Anybody have a recommendation for a cover or case other than the overpriced apple one for the new ipad pro 11? I was considering one of the Ztotop cases on amazon. Thanks in advance.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
The lower the better, but if the quality is worth the price I don't mind.

Well, I have a Ztotop case and a Zugu case. The Ztotop case is very slim and will protect your screen from scuffs. It won't, however, protect it from impact in any meaningful way. It also only has 2 stand angles, and no way to secure the pencil. Plus side, very sleek, very affordable, and easy to remove (magnets).

The Zugu case is considerably more expensive (over twice the price) but it's also incredibly sturdy, has a way to stow the pen, and has multiple angle configurations.

I prefer my Zugu for pretty much every situation.

moving

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo
Recently got an 11", loving it but wondering if I'm having screen issues or if my screen protector is messing with the sensitivity/responsiveness of the screen.

Weird request, but could someone with post a screenshot with a note written using the Apple Pencil on the lowest thickness pencil tool in the iOS Notes app? I want to compare pencil thickness to see if the protector is at least effecting that.

Would be super grateful if someone can help! :)

Last edited:

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Recently got an 11", loving it but wondering if I'm having screen issues or if my screen protector is messing with the sensitivity/responsiveness of the screen.

Weird request, but could someone with post a screenshot with a note written using the Apple Pencil on the lowest thickness pencil tool in the iOS Notes app? I want to compare pencil thickness to see if the protector is at least effecting that.

Would be super grateful if someone can help! :)

Got an example of yours so I can at least try to mirror it? Straight lines, circles?

What screen protector are you using? Clear, matte, brand, etc.

moving

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo
Got an example of yours so I can at least try to mirror it? Straight lines, circles?

What screen protector are you using? Clear, matte, brand, etc.

Sorry, just managed to get back to this now. Attached an image below. Moved pencil along the screen at what I'd consider a normal speed for drawing straight lines. Lines aren't even straight.

Protector is gloss, tempered glass and some Japanese brand (live in Japan purchased from Amazon JP). I am feeling more and more it's the prot chore than the screen, but obviously I don't want to just rip it off on the off chance someone can compare for me.

I'm positive it was possible to get a thinner line with the pencil before on my old Pro, but maybe wrong.

https://imgur.com/a/ZtDy2qU

I just ripped it off because it was driving me insane. Seems like problem fixed. Thanks for the help! Anyone know any decent glass protector that don't effect Pencil usage?

Last edited:

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry, just managed to get back to this now. Attached an image below. Moved pencil along the screen at what I'd consider a normal speed for drawing straight lines. Lines aren't even straight.

Protector is gloss, tempered glass and some Japanese brand (live in Japan purchased from Amazon JP). I am feeling more and more it's the prot chore than the screen, but obviously I don't want to just rip it off on the off chance someone can compare for me.

I'm positive it was possible to get a thinner line with the pencil before on my old Pro, but maybe wrong.

https://imgur.com/a/ZtDy2qU

I just ripped it off because it was driving me insane. Seems like problem fixed. Thanks for the help! Anyone know any decent glass protector that don't effect Pencil usage?

Oh yeah, glass protectors aren't that great on the 2018s apparently. Not sure if there's actually a good one yet.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I don't think I've seen a single positive review for tempered glass screen protectors on any iPad pros, really. Almost all of them I've come across have bad reviews for those using Apple Pencils.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I'll probably get a big scratch on my iPad today, but honestly it seems less necessary to me to have a screen protector on something like a tablet compared to a phone. My iPad when not in use always has the folio cover over the screen and is generally just in my bag when not being used.

Phone is in and out of my pocket all day long and being used in many different scenarios where a scratch could happen.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'll probably get a big scratch on my iPad today, but honestly it seems less necessary to me to have a screen protector on something like a tablet compared to a phone. My iPad when not in use always has the folio cover over the screen and is generally just in my bag when not being used.

Phone is in and out of my pocket all day long and being used in many different scenarios where a scratch could happen.

This is my train of thought as well. With a phone it's in your pocket with keys, you bump into things, you carry it around distracted. I'm generally in a work space or seated when using my iPad. I can't think of one occasion over the last two years where I've used my iPad walking in any capacity or not had the case on it.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
[…] it seems less necessary to me to have a screen protector on something like a tablet compared to a phone. My iPad when not in use always has the folio cover over the screen and is generally just in my bag when not being used.
It may be less necessary from a protection point of view, but I really didn't like using the Pencil on my iPad without a screen protector, and it is much better with one now. Without a screen protector I found that fingerprints/oils would cause there to be spots with varying friction which just felt bad to write or draw on.
Even when using my finger on the screen, it's much better than being directly on the glass as there's far less friction, and the same thing applies with fingerprints/oils.
That being said, I do still like having something on the glass to protect the screen. A thin plastic screen protector is going to do very little against impacts, but there's a good chance that it will protect the screen from being scratched accidentally.

moving

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo

To be honest the biggest reason I like a screen protector on mine is just to protect from anything getting stuck and scraping when using the Pencil. Also a bonus is that matte ones feel much nicer using the Pencil than the screen does.

Oct 26, 2017
California
Recently I got my very first apple device, the 11 inch pro. So far the experience has been overall positive.

The only regular hiccup I keep noticing is that while smoothly scrolling on a long page in Safari, every couple minutes it has a twitch where the page jumps back a centimeter or so and then continues on like it never happened. It's super fast but pretty annoying to see the whole page freak out for a couple frames, especially because it happens with some amount of regularity. It's like a previous frame popped back up or something.

Naturally I notice it most on resetera but I've tested and found it to happen on other pages as well. I think I might have also seen it in another app/browser besides safari but I gotta double check. I don't have a real video of it happening yet but I tried to sort of replicate what it looks like in photoshop with a gif here:

F1VXJEn.gif

Anybody else got this? Is this just a standard quirk of the software or what?
Why aren't you on Chrome? I've had no issues whatsoever, and the transferring of all my bookmarks and history from computer to phone to tablet is super nice.

See, I see it the other way. My iPad was a large investment, so a tempered glass screen protector is the least I could do (besides a leather folio case) to protect it. I really enjoy knowing that I won't be accidentally scratching this thing, especially considering the two-pack of protectors cost like $9 on Amazon.

Last edited:

hitmon

Oct 26, 2017
Anybody know how long it would take to transfer about 80-100GB of data over through the Auto-setup (ipad to ipad) feature?

I tried backing up via iTunes on Windows, but it doesn't seem to backup the apps. There's an app I have that doesn't carry over progress without being tied to facebook so just redownloading the app isn't a viable option.

Last edited:

Limit

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Someone recommended notability for note taking app for iPad. I love it. I'm looking for a similarly high quality recommendation for a weekly schedule calendar app.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Someone recommended notability for note taking app for iPad. I love it. I'm looking for a similarly high quality recommendation for a weekly schedule calendar app.
Fantastical still seems to be the best calendar app for iOS overall, but I don't know if you have specific requirements when you say that you're looking for a "weekly schedule calendar".
The good thing about calendars these days is that everything is synced to the cloud rather than using a proprietary format, so it's very easy to try several different apps and see which one works for you.

Anybody know how long it would take to transfer about 80-100GB of data over through the Auto-setup (ipad to ipad) feature?
I tried backing up via iTunes on Windows, but it doesn't seem to backup the apps. There's an app I have that doesn't carry over progress without being tied to facebook so just redownloading the app isn't a viable option.
That's not a Windows issue; app support was removed from iTunes with version 12.7.
This version of iTunes should let you manage apps: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208079

Oct 30, 2017
got my 12.9 the other day — upgraded from 10.5, which in turn was an upgrade from the original 12.9.

apple really missed the boat with cases this time! the official folio is a cool design but it's hugely overpriced, and i wish there was a smart cover without back protection. meanwhile the new keyboard sucks for adding bulk on both sides while not having a video playback stand option.

my solutions: i got a $20 folio case that wirecutter recommended and is basically identical to apple's, plus a magic keyboard case that folds out with a stand for the ipad. would rather just have the old smart keyboard design for all situations, but this combo feels like a better fit for my needs than apple's own solutions this time around.

Oct 30, 2017
I can't see why. It would never sit flat on a desk then.

that wasn't a problem with the old design, you could just flip the cover round to the back if you wanted a totally flat surface. but wouldn't you prop it up like this for desk use anyway?

ipad-pro-10.5-leather-smart-cover-13.jpg

apple's new folio can also work like this, to be clear, but it's just too expensive and adds unnecessary weight and bulk on the rear. to me the smart cover was about making the ipad something i could put in a messenger bag without destroying the screen, and also being super lightweight and easy to remove. the folio isn't a full replacement for that use case.

it's less of a compromise than the keyboard folio, though, which is just straight-up a less functional design than its predecessor.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
that wasn't a problem with the old design, you could just flip the cover round to the back if you wanted a totally flat surface. but wouldn't you prop it up like this for desk use anyway?
I nearly always have it sitting flat and vertical on my desk, holding it, or have it resting on my lap. I rarely use it in landscape mode unless I'm editing photos.

Oct 30, 2017
I nearly always have it sitting flat and vertical on my desk, holding it, or have it resting on my lap. I rarely use it in landscape mode unless I'm editing photos.

you could still do that with an "open" smart cover — but really, even with the giant camera bump you can use the new ipads naked and flat on a table without any wobbling at all.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The odd folio design and no smart cover option is actually putting me off upgrading. Although I have a second gen 12.9 so I'm in no particular hurry, I was hoping to update to the 2019 model towards the end of this year.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas

Hahahahaha. That's such a massive oversight for something so incredibly obvious. For such a big platform, I'm baffled by how slow moving they are on this, and how inept they are. At that level you'd THINK they have some seriously talented UI / UX designers.

hitmon

Oct 26, 2017
Fantastical still seems to be the best calendar app for iOS overall, but I don't know if you have specific requirements when you say that you're looking for a "weekly schedule calendar".
The good thing about calendars these days is that everything is synced to the cloud rather than using a proprietary format, so it's very easy to try several different apps and see which one works for you.

That's not a Windows issue; app support was removed from iTunes with version 12.7.
This version of iTunes should let you manage apps: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208079

Thanks for the tip!

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I was toying with the new iPad Pro and Pencil and I am kind of upset I bought my 12.9" Pro and a Pencil just a month-or-so before the new Pro shipped. I was impatient. I should have waited. In my defense though, my old iPad Air was dying and I needed something for work pronto.

At least this previous gen is still fast as shit.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I was toying with the new iPad Pro and Pencil and I am kind of upset I bought my 12.9" Pro and a Pencil just a month-or-so before the new Pro shipped. I was impatient. I should have waited. In my defense though, my old iPad Air was dying and I needed something for work pronto.

At least this previous gen is still fast as shit.

Don't be sad - be happy you aren't paying new pro prices. 'old' pro is still bloody fast and the pencil is still great. It'll last you a good few years yet.

Are there any good 3D packages - something simple for putting together models? Just for playing with ideas in 3D space rather than 2D sketches.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hahahahaha. That's such a massive oversight for something so incredibly obvious. For such a big platform, I'm baffled by how slow moving they are on this, and how inept they are. At that level you'd THINK they have some seriously talented UI / UX designers.

Google isn't lacking resources, they purposely take their sweet sweet time hoping that junk tablet it released can still get a few more sales

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Since I've apparently become to person to purchase the three major (non-Microsoft) note-taking apps, GoodNotes, Notability, and now Noteshelf 2, I guess I'll do some kind of write up later comparing the three since that's a common question here (unless someone did one already and missed it).

I purchased Noteshelf 2 last night after people were talking about it in the wake of the GoodNotes 5 update, and woof. Not good, I'm genuinely surprised by the reputation it has.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
GoodNotes remains my favorite, now that I got the free upgrade to 5 it has all the missing features that Notability had going for it over GN. For me, the endless scroll and iCloud syncing is all I was missing.

I definitely prefer the writing on GoodNotes, feels much more realistic to me than Notability.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
GoodNotes remains my favorite, now that I got the free upgrade to 5 it has all the missing features that Notability had going for it over GN. For me, the endless scroll and iCloud syncing is all I was missing.

I definitely prefer the writing on GoodNotes, feels much more realistic to me than Notability.

This is 100% where I'm at personally. I was using Notability for school almost purely because of the vertical scrolling, GoodNotes 5 adding that is was a giant win for me, because along with that comes better PDF importing, etc. Another big thing is it lets you change the template for a specific page instead of changing the whole document, which when working in a class with both written notes and graphs, is perfect.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Question for folks who came from the OG 12.9 inch

How big is the difference in screen resolution?

I bought a 2018 Pro, which is lovely, but I honestly don't have the chance to use it often, and when I do, it's mainly for comics. I've been watching TV and film on my PC lately.

I'm thinking of giving the 2018 model to my dad, and taking his original 12.9. I assume I won't be missing much?

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Question for folks who came from the OG 12.9 inch

How big is the difference in screen resolution?

I bought a 2018 Pro, which is lovely, but I honestly don't have the chance to use it often, and when I do, it's mainly for comics. I've been watching TV and film on my PC lately.

I'm thinking of giving the 2018 model to my dad, and taking his original 12.9. I assume I won't be missing much?

I went from OG 12.9 > 2018 12.9
  • The resolution isn't noticeably different. Both are dense retina screens. It's great.
  • The new screen is super impressive just in that it feels more like a 10.5" iPad in terms of size due to the bezel cutdown.
  • Some apps have some updating to do to cover comics, mainly because if you read lying down, it's possible for your clothes or holding hand to false-read and do a page flip when you don't mean to. It's not common, but since the bottom bezel is so thin, false reads are just more likely to happen.
I'd say if you are just reading it's not worth the upgrade. The OG is still a CPU beast for that kind of data, and the highlights are really Pencil 2 and portability.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I went from OG 12.9 > 2018 12.9
  • The resolution isn't noticeably different. Both are dense retina screens. It's great.
  • The new screen is super impressive just in that it feels more like a 10.5" iPad in terms of size due to the bezel cutdown.
  • Some apps have some updating to do to cover comics, mainly because if you read lying down, it's possible for your clothes or holding hand to false-read and do a page flip when you don't mean to. It's not common, but since the bottom bezel is so thin, false reads are just more likely to happen.
I'd say if you are just reading it's not worth the upgrade. The OG is still a CPU beast for that kind of data, and the highlights are really Pencil 2 and portability.
Thanks!

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it is of interest to people, but I asked someone to borrow a micro USB cable to charge my headphones and they dropped it down on my iPad, which took a chip out of the PaperLike screen protector that I had installed.
I think it was just bad luck as the corner of the cable seemed to catch the screen, but I'm glad to say that the screen itself was unharmed.
The PaperLike screen protectors are sold as a pack of two, but I had been linked to a comment on Reddit which said that they preferred Elecom's "paper-like" screen protectors to the PaperLike branded ones and I thought I'd get one for comparison.

It's possible that this is due to being an imported Japanese product (made in Japan too), but the price makes the PaperLike look cheap. I paid about the same as I did for two of the PaperLike screen protectors (on sale) to get one of these (they are sold individually).
I'm not too impressed with what is supplied either: you get the screen protector, a sticker to remove dust, a 1″ square lint-free cloth, and a plastic card to push out any bubbles (unnecessary in my opinion).
There are no cleaning wipes included with the screen protector. That was not an issue for me, as I keep a bottle of isopropyl alcohol around for cleaning anyway, but it's the first screen protector I've seen which did not include one.

I'll say this up front: if you are a perfectionist and care about whether there is any dust or fibers under the screen protector, I don't recommend buying these Elecom screen protectors.
There are a number of reasons why:
  1. The protector is supplied on a square of plastic film, rather than one cut out to the same size. This makes it easier to peel, but more difficult to get the position correct first try.
  2. The adhesive used is far more "sticky" than most screen protectors I have used, making it more difficult to lift up (with tape) to remove any dust or bubbles, or fix the alignment.
  3. The adhesive generates huge amounts of static electricity when you peel up the edges. So you lift up one edge to remove some dust and end up with more.
I have installed a lot of screen protectors on devices for myself and friends/family and am a perfectionist about it. I don't care much if there's a little dust or lint under the bezel area, but I want the screen area to be perfect.
At most, a perfect installation typically takes 5-10 minutes with a film-type screen protector if it's proving to be problematic. This must have taken at least an hour.

So how does the screen protector compare?
  • It has a matte finish, but is less matte than the PaperLike screen protector. This means:
    • It is considerably sharper.
    • It is higher contrast.
    • Speckle is noticeably reduced, but still present.
  • Though it is less matte, it's still a nice matte surface for reading on; it doesn't feel like a glossy display.
  • It is far more textured than the PaperLike screen protector. The PaperLike adds a little bit of 'tooth' to the iPad when using the Pencil, but feels mostly smooth to the touch. The Elecom screen protector has a noticeable roughness to the touch. It definitely feels like it will wear down the Pencil's tip much sooner. I need to spend more time using it to see whether I like that for writing/drawing.
I did not know that there were actually two Elecom paper-like screen protectors: the TB-A18MFLAPL and the TB-A18MFLAPLL which is a less-textured version that claims the pencil tip will last 50% longer. The only one available here was the TB-A18MFLAPL with the stronger texture.

I am not sure how well this is going to show off the differences, but I shot a video on my phone to compare them.
It's just the same post the comments recommending the Elecom screen protectors came from, with me moving the iPad to try and show off the speckle.

DO NOT use this video to judge sharpness, only speckle.
If anything, the video shows the opposite: the sharper the screen is, the more I had to defocus the camera to avoid moiré patterns. Even then, there still ended up being some when viewed on a monitor.
The PaperLike screen protector softens/diffuses the screen so much that I was able to focus the camera perfectly on the screen without seeing moiré patterns on the phone's display while recording, which ironically makes it look like the sharpest one. The bare screen had to be defocused a lot, and the Elecom screen protector also had to be defocused quite a bit - as a result of it being much sharper than the PaperLike.

(yes, I forgot to wipe down the surface of the Elecom before filming - none of the clothing fibers/dust visible are under the screen protector)

Last edited:

hombremalo

Oct 26, 2017
How is your battery life for the 11? I feel mine is lasting too little, I use procreate, does it drain so much battery?