• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Played around with it in person today. I'm surprised by how small the 11" is. I prefer it as a tablet, but I can't see myself trying to balance that thing on my thighs as a laptop. On the other hand, I can't see myself using the 12" as an ebook reader in bed. Decisions, decisions.

how big are your thighs? 12.9 is fine in bed - maybe for regular books its too big in portrait, but landscape you can do two pages. Great for comics though.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
how big are your thighs? 12.9 is fine in bed - maybe for regular books its too big in portrait, but landscape you can do two pages. Great for comics though.
I have a bad tendency to manspread.

Another thing to consider is being able to run two full size apps in split view. So that's another point for the 12.9", I suppose.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
So.. if there's an iPad Mini next year will it have the internals of the XS/XR line? That's what the Mini 4 is isn't it, internals of the 6S or something, more or less?

Would that be decent enough to edit 4K video, since I know Luma Fusion also works on the latest iPhones as well. This is all I really want, decent 4K60 video editing capabilities.

The 11inch Pro is nice but 64GB is just too damn limited. I'd rather wait and spend decent money on a new Mini next year with something like 512GB and know the tablet will be powerful enough to last me a good while like my Mini 4 has (but it's a bit slow these days). The Mini form factor is just perfect for me and I really hope we get a new one next year based on the current design. Hopefully pen compatible too since the base iPad also is now.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest shock to me with the 12.9" is how small and light it is. It doesn't feel that much bigger/heavier than my old iPad Air 2. This is crazy! And the pencil with procreate is unlocking the artist I used to be. Haven't drawn much in the last decade but am usually sketching at least a drawing a night.

The only downside is with the small bezels my palm keeps hitting the lower left corner and prevents clicks/gestures with my right hand. But I just need to hold it better/differently and its fine.

Oct 27, 2017
So.. if there's an iPad Mini next year will it have the internals of the XS/XR line? That's what the Mini 4 is isn't it, internals of the 6S or something, more or less?

It's an A8, so iPhone 6. The current 9.7" iPad has an A10, so I'd think if there is to be a new mini it will either get an A11 (iPhone 8/X) if the 9.7" gets updated next year or the current model's A10 if there's no 2019 update in the pipeline.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
The biggest shock to me with the 12.9" is how small and light it is. It doesn't feel that much bigger/heavier than my old iPad Air 2. This is crazy! And the pencil with procreate is unlocking the artist I used to be. Haven't drawn much in the last decade but am usually sketching at least a drawing a night.

The only downside is with the small bezels my palm keeps hitting the lower left corner and prevents clicks/gestures with my right hand. But I just need to hold it better/differently and its fine.

That's encouraging. I'm using an Air 2 at the moment and was worried about size. The older 12.9 was just way too big.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How easy is it to remove/add the keyboard case?
Definitely easier than the last iPad Pro Smart Keyboard. The new keyboard attaches with magnets so there's no need to pry the case off the corners.

edit: Oh wait, the last Smart Keyboard only covered the front of the device and the back was covered with a separate accessory. The new keyboard covers both sides so I guess it's technically harder to remove if you compare it strictly to the old keyboard.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Still no way to hide the home bar (or whatever it's officially called)? Really hoping there's a way to hide it in an patch.

Moshio

Oct 27, 2017
I've tried to take some photos of it but the issue is that there is darkness all around the screen in the pics. And the dark corner just gets lost in that. To the eye the screen looks uniform except for the corner.

Did you end up exchanging, and if so, any improvement? I'm curious if you notice a difference as mine seems to have a similar issue in landscape mode in the top right corner (charging port on the right).

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Did you end up exchanging, and if so, any improvement? I'm curious if you notice a difference as mine seems to have a similar issue in landscape mode in the top right corner (charging port on the right).
I sent mine back and want to get the 12 inch instead which will take a while to get here.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I recently purchased the iPad 2018 from Best Buy during their early Black Friday sale (my first iPad ever!). I'm enjoying it a lot, but not having the cutting-edge processing power tugs on me a bit. Realistically, all I want to do is surf the web, check mail, and play Diablo Immortal (whenever it comes out). Do games take advantage of the extra processing power of the Pro, as is? Or is it a fool's game to spend the extra $400 on the Pro and expect anything more than what I get on the iPad 2018.

Hearthstone is Blizzard's only mobile title right now, correct? Does that utilize the extra power/resolution of the Pro?

Oct 27, 2017
I recently purchased the iPad 2018 from Best Buy during their early Black Friday sale (my first iPad ever!). I'm enjoying it a lot, but not having the cutting-edge processing power tugs on me a bit. Realistically, all I want to do is surf the web, check mail, and play Diablo Immortal (whenever it comes out). Do games take advantage of the extra processing power of the Pro, as is? Or is it a fool's game to spend the extra $400 on the Pro and expect anything more than what I get on the iPad 2018.

Hearthstone is Blizzard's only mobile title right now, correct? Does that utilize the extra power/resolution of the Pro?
Don't buy a Pro for that. Unless you're literally allergic to your money. The 2017/2018 iPads are perfect for what you described.

the_id

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this iPad is probably what it should have been years when it was first introduced. The form factor is perfect with it being thin and also light with a beautiful retina screen display. it literally is like holding light.

Writing this with they key board doesn't feel as bad. It's actually pretty good.

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
Saw and held one of these in the Apple Store today.

It brought back the same 'wow' feeling I had when I held the original iPad for the first time.

Amazing piece of hardware.

philz

Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe how much touch wobble there is when using the smart keyboard cover. Feels very un-apple like.

Deleted member 6562

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the keyboard noticeably narrower or harder to type on?

Not really? Just took a pic to give an example (12.9 iPad/Smart Keyboard)

gbo4A1S.jpg

Last edited:

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Just got the keyboard and I really like it even though it's too expensive. I was expecting the keys to be way too flat and too easy to press and that's not the case at all.

Definitely should be able to play games like Lego Star Wars on it though

Deleted member 6562

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the magnets in the iPad. I stick it to my fridge while I'm making dinner. :D

Can't believe how much touch wobble there is when using the smart keyboard cover. Feels very un-apple like.

I haven't noticed this. When I have it on a flat surface, like my desk, and I type I don't notice anything. The keyboard is flat as far as I can tell. Maybe I am not understanding what touch wobble is?

Last edited:

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Just saw them in person for the first time. The 12.9 is still pretty unwieldy in the hand, but I love the additional screen real estate. For some reason the bezels seemed pretty large on the 11", but I'm still going to end up with that one for price reasons.

philz

Oct 27, 2017
I love the magnets in the iPad. I stick it to my fridge while I'm making dinner. :D

I haven't noticed this. When I have it on a flat surface, like my desk, and I type I don't notice anything. The keyboard is flat as far as I can tell. Maybe I am not understanding what touch wobble is?

The iPad itself wobbles when you touch it. The previous smart covers I've had didn't do this.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So anyone tried charging the new iPad Pro with the Nintendo Switch charger? I'm curious about it. I know it doesn't support all PD modes but could still be a relatively inexpensive nice charger to have laying around, and double as an extra full speed charger for the Switch as well.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Ok...the lift up bar at the bottom of the screen needs to be removed. It's tolerable on an iPhone but looks ridiculous on a 12.9 iPad.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been looking into these but I figure I'd ask here. Is the Pro worth it for an art student? Like, I see the value in Procreate for digital art but what about 2D and (for the spring) 3D animation? Debating picking up one of these or a laptop for the upcoming Spring Semester. I prefer the idea of carrying one of these in my backpack moreso than a big ol' laptop lol but I'll need to run programs like Toon Boom Harmony and possibly Maya

Deleted member 6562

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok...the lift up bar at the bottom of the screen needs to be removed. It's tolerable on an iPhone but looks ridiculous on a 12.9 iPad.

I agree, at least an option to turn it off. I swear it was under a YouTube video I was watching full screen the other day, but today it is gone. Maybe their app updated?

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I'm probably in the minority on this but I prefer the old Pencil's tip. The old one, if I put a matte screen protector on it, felt great but now that I tried the new one on a matte screen protector, it feels more like rubber on glass with or without the screen protector compared to the old one.

I put the old tip on the new Pencil and it's great, but maybe I should just get used to the new one since I'll probably have a hard time finding replacement tips later.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas

wihio

Oct 28, 2017
I received my 12.9 pro on the 8th (initially scheduled for delivery Nov 20-25, updated to 15-20th, then bam it went from China to my house in 24 hours. This is an excellent piece of hardware. So far I have almost zero complaints. First, why the fuck did they get rid of the headphone jack-- it is not like the device isn't thick enough! Had to buy an adapter which I managed to lose on a trip. Bought another... Will probably lose it too. Also, I do not like that the charging cable and charger has the USB type C connector on both ends... I can't plug this thing into my car, I cant use the new charger with my iphone X... Growing pains I guess.

Other than those two small issues, it has been an amazing experience (including opening each box, from the iPad to the Pencil, and even the headphone adapter)!

philz

Oct 27, 2017
So anyone tried charging the new iPad Pro with the Nintendo Switch charger? I'm curious about it. I know it doesn't support all PD modes but could still be a relatively inexpensive nice charger to have laying around, and double as an extra full speed charger for the Switch as well.
It shows a charging icon but seems like it's charging very slowly.

Edit: Maybe not "very slowly". Went form 93% to 94% in about 5 minutes. Screen off 94% to 95% in about 2 minutes.

Last edited: