• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
According to the Sheriff's Office, "Our investigation showed that members of the Kreimeyer family were experimenting with different types of explosive material on Friday and Saturday in an attempt to record a gender reveal that could be posted on social media for friends and family. On Saturday afternoon five family members and the expectant mother gathered and placed gunpowder in the bottom of a homemade stand that was welded to a metal base plate. A hole had been drilled in the side for a fuse, a piece of wood was placed on top of the gunpowder and colored powder was placed on top of the board. Tape was then wrapped over the top of the metal tubing, inadvertently creating a pipe bomb. Instead of the gunpowder shooting the powder out the top of the stand, the stand exploded sending metal pieces flying. One of these metal pieces struck Pamela Kreimeyer in the head causing instant death. She was standing with other family members approximately 45 feet from the device. It's believed that the projectile that struck the victim then continued another 144 yards through the air coming to rest in a field."

All for those sweet Facebook likes....
Yep, that's IED crafting 101. Just missing scrap and nails as the payload.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
People are really suggesting having gender reveal parties without explosives? Does anyone know what the point of gender reveal parties are? You can't have a party without EXPLOSIONS

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
According to the Sheriff's Office, "Our investigation showed that members of the Kreimeyer family were experimenting with different types of explosive material on Friday and Saturday in an attempt to record a gender reveal that could be posted on social media for friends and family. On Saturday afternoon five family members and the expectant mother gathered and placed gunpowder in the bottom of a homemade stand that was welded to a metal base plate. A hole had been drilled in the side for a fuse, a piece of wood was placed on top of the gunpowder and colored powder was placed on top of the board. Tape was then wrapped over the top of the metal tubing, inadvertently creating a pipe bomb. Instead of the gunpowder shooting the powder out the top of the stand, the stand exploded sending metal pieces flying. One of these metal pieces struck Pamela Kreimeyer in the head causing instant death. She was standing with other family members approximately 45 feet from the device. It's believed that the projectile that struck the victim then continued another 144 yards through the air coming to rest in a field."

I figured it was some stupid, redneck shit like this.

CharMomone

Oct 27, 2017
To die going to a reveal party for something that may not even be accurate, I hope "gender" reveal ceremonies are eventually forgotten about. Sad and distasteful all around.

Gender is in quotations because all they're doing is revealing the sex.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I don't see anything wrong with gender reveal parties - even if the kid ends up identifying as a different gender one day - so long as it doesn't involve stupid and dangerous things.

They should have just stuck to cutting a cake or something.

It's making the assumption that a child's sex assigned at birth is its gender, when it's not. This reinforces cisnormative binary gender roles that cause real lasting damage to trans/nonbinary folx. In the latter case, it erases their gender identity as a possibility entirely.

Growing up coded as the gender you aren't, like I did, can really fuck you up. I attempted suicide several times because of how heavily gender norms predicated on being assigned the wrong gender at birth led to confusion, despair and isolation.

The assumption that parents know a child's gender before they do is incorrect and harmful.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
The only gender reveal party I've been to they just cut a cake and it had blue coloring inside

And even for that I was thinking "This is a bit much, I really don't care if your kid is a boy or girl"
As far as I know, none of my friends or family has ever had a gender reveal party. Those who I've talked to about it also seem to think it's generally a pointless exercise of self-absorption, but we're admittedly a somewhat cynical bunch.

My thoughts generally align with the second part of your post - I don't really care what sex a person's baby is going to be. There is only one person's baby I'd even be interested in knowing that (my sister), but even then I don't care either way. A niece or nephew would be awesome.

But hey, if a friend or family member wants to throw a fun party and use gender reveal as an excuse, I'm down with that as long as there is free alcohol and I'm not obligated to bring any gifts (other than bringing something customary to show appreciate to the host).

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I mean, that's one way to look at it. But I think especially with babies it's not uncommon to ask "Is it a boy or a girl?" or for the parents to choose a name that's typically associated with boys or girls.

Having a gender reveal party or assuming that a baby that has female sex organs will identify as a female doesn't mean you can't be open and accepting of that child if they grow up to identify differently.
They're inherently transphobic as they leave no room for the child to be trans or non binary. It's making assumptions that shouldn't be made about a child that isn't even born yet. Whether that's just the gender or all the other blue/pink and beyond bullshit that people go overboard with.

Will everyone participating in them be knowledgeable of this or actively transphobic? Of course not. That doesn't change the fact that it perpetuates the harm it does and makes assigning gender even before birth a custom practice that people then need to break from. It's emblematic of a focus around predefined gender and associated norms that shouldn't be there.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
It's pretty bad in the south too. They use tannerite at gender reveals and you can hear them for miles.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I've never seen people having issues with gender reveal parties in "real life", and then I see that the majority of people on Era are against it? I just don't get it...

(I think gender reveal parties are stupid too, but for different reasons.. I think?)
Hate something, even if it means nothing.

Not surprised by the responses here - it's always too difficult for some of you to be human and social. You can't even imagine why others may want to do something you may not have an interest in. Of course, I'm specifically referring to the gender reveal here. The explosives used are actually really reckless.

I feel the same way. Every gender reveal party I've been to is just an excuse for friends and family to get together with drinks or BBQ and then they just reveal the gender and everyone hugs each other and congratulates the couple and shit. We got an 8 page thread here and most of the discussion is just shitting on the idea of having celebration events as opposed to the stupidity of the person responsible for the explosion. Why go to weddings or birthday parties too?

Last edited:

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
347k3z.gif

Sterility reveal party?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Hate something, even if it means nothing.

I feel the same way. Every gender reveal party I've been to is just an excuse for friends and family to get together with drinks or BBQ and then they just reveal the gender and everyone hugs each other and congratulates the couple and shit. We got an 8 page thread here and most of the discussion is just shitting on the idea of having celebration events as opposed to the stupidity of the person responsible for the explosion. Why go to weddings or birthday parties too?
Not really the case. No need to misrepresent and mock an issue just because you've not come across it before, it is a widely covered and discussed topic that's not bound to the forum.

Blank

Oct 27, 2017
May have been posted/asked, but is this really a result of Gender reveal parties being a thing or people being fucking stupid (also, social media)?

We hold stupid parties/traditions for a lot of shit, I didn't bring explosives to my bachelor party though.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
May have been posted/asked, but is this really a result of Gender reveal parties being a thing or people being fucking stupid (also, social media)? We hold stupid parties/traditions for a lot of shit, I didn't bring explosives to my bachelor party though.
The latter, there's no need for makeshift pipe bombs at parties. The wider discussion in the thread has included criticisms around the transphobic nature of traditional gender reveal parties though.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Holy shit, I can only imagine her head was just a mix of bone, hair and blood. There's no way a human body pet is going to survive intact with that much kinetic energy.

Oct 25, 2017

:o that's like a Final Destination death.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Having a gender reveal party or assuming that a baby that has female sex organs will identify as a female doesn't mean you can't be open and accepting of that child if they grow up to identify differently.
Mhmm.

If treating your kids like the sex they were born as is a bad thing, couldn't we take it a step further and even say that it's bad to name the child before they grow into their identity? Unless you wanna limit yourself to only gender-neutral names or something.

I don't see the problem in treating your male baby like a boy or treating your female baby like a girl. As long as you're supportive should the baby grow into a different identity, what's the harm? They're babies.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I don't see the problem in treating your male baby like a boy or treating your female baby like a girl. As long as you're supportive should the baby grow into a different identity, what's the harm? They're babies.
What is treating a baby as a boy or treating a baby as a girl? Pink frilly things for one and blue stripes for the other?

That's also one almighty "as long as" when you're talking about people specifically making a large celebration about a child's assumed gender before they're born, based on their sex. You're also putting the onus on the child to break out of things that shouldn't be set, as in your scenario they should live under the norms until they say otherwise. Assuming they have the easy freedom to explore their gender when growing up outlined by gender norms from before they were born.

Whats the harm?

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I think everyone agrees that you don't need to blow anything up. You said not to have events for everything and be rational, though. So I'm wondering what's an appropriate reason to have a party.
Ahh, i think that's a difference in language. A weird one imo. I did not mean that there shouldn't be a celebration for anything. I meant that not everything needs a spectacular event.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017

Tape over the end? Guess they never watched Bugs Bunny.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What is treating a baby as a boy or treating a baby as a girl? Pink frilly things for one and blue stripes for the other?
Basically, yeah. I just mean little things like that.

It seems like the articles you posted are on about the big stereotypes like "boys shouldn't cry" etc, which are obviously bad and shouldn't be enforced by any parent.

But in the case of little things like the color of the baby's blanket or their first toy, is it actually so harmful to get a daughter a pink blanket and a son a toy firetruck?

The constant criticisms toward "heteronormative colors" were always something I found confusing, should we not allow the colors pink and blue to be used at all in regards to children's merchandise? Do we raise every child in grey clothes and grey rooms until they discover their identity?

I'm being genuine, if assuming a baby's gender is a harmful thing, then how do we raise kids? I find it hard to imagine a way to remain 100% gender neutral in regards to raising someone. Because everything is connected to gender in some way shape or form, for better or worse.

Which I guess usually leads into the even bigger topic of "abolish gender it serves no purpose" but that's an even bigger hurdle.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Basically, yeah. I just mean little things like that.

It seems like the articles you posted are on about the big stereotypes like "boys shouldn't cry" etc, which are obviously bad and shouldn't be enforced by any parent.

But in the case of little things like the color of the baby's blanket or their first toy, is it actually so harmful to get a daughter a pink blanket and a son a toy firetruck?

The constant criticisms toward "heteronormative colors" were always something I found confusing, should we not allow the colors pink and blue to be used at all in regards to children's merchandise? Do we raise every child in grey clothes and grey rooms until they discover their identity?

I'm being genuine, if assuming a baby's gender is a harmful thing, then how do we raise kids? I find it hard to imagine a way to remain 100% gender neutral in regards to raising someone. Because everything is connected to gender in some way shape or form, for better or worse.

Which I guess usually leads into the even bigger topic of "abolish gender it serves no purpose" but that's an even bigger hurdle.
"Parents that throw a gender reveal party but only intend to apply the most minor and subtle gender norms so as to not influence their child and will listen to and support whatever they are" isn't what we're discussing though. We're discussing the issues with the concept of a traditional gender reveal party as it's inherently transphobic and furthers the misconception that gender=sex while also giving ground to applying harmful gender norms from even before birth.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I knew America was obsessed with guns, but this "making homemade explosives for my baby shower" thing is really inexplicable. Are people afraid they'll lose their guns, so they are switching to bombs instead?

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mhmm.

If treating your kids like the sex they were born as is a bad thing, couldn't we take it a step further and even say that it's bad to name the child before they grow into their identity? Unless you wanna limit yourself to only gender-neutral names or something.

Define treating a kid like a boy or a girl because it sound like it mean shoving gender stereotypes.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
should we not allow the colors pink and blue to be used at all in regards to children's merchandise? Do we raise every child in grey clothes and grey rooms until they discover their identity?

I'm being genuine
, if assuming a baby's gender is a harmful thing, then how do we raise kids? I find it hard to imagine a way to remain 100% gender neutral in regards to raising someone. Because everything is connected to gender in some way shape or form, for better or worse.
tenor.gif

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

This really depends on what you mean by treating them like a boy or like a girl. If you just mean color clothing, then sure not a lot of harm there. But phrases like "boys will be boys" are still very popular and emblematic of the very negative differences in how we treat children of different genders. Girls can be emotional and should be frilly and clean and nice. Boys get excused for being more violent and are allowed to be dirty and rough. Boys shouldn't cry and are taught to bottle things up. Girls are given more empathetic activities and toys like dolls and boys are given cars and stuff.

There's nothing wrong with some of these, but as they pile up they can do dangerous things with behavior, psychology, and emotion.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
Why would you think that kids lose colors if you don't aggressively gender them from birth? If boys aren't locked into blue and girls aren't locked into pink, then everyone gets the entire goddamned rainbow. Kids get more choices, not less. Wow.