• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Iowa's governor, Kim Reynolds, is refusing to enforce a White House coronavirus taskforce recommendation to close bars and require people to wear masks after Covid-19 infections in some of the state's cities surged

Amid warnings that the failure to enforce masks and social distancing was likely to cost hundreds of additional lives in the coming months, the White House taskforce said in a report on 31 August that bars "must be closed" in 61 of Iowa's 99 counties and seating in restaurants should be limited. It also recommended restrictions on the size of gatherings in the worst hit counties along with the closure of gyms.

But Reynolds has limited bar closures to six counties including those with the universities. She would go no further than "strongly encouraging" people to wear masks, saying that they were "not a silver bullet".

Missouri's governor, Mike Parson, has also consistently resisted making masks obligatory in public spaces, instead issuing guidelines recommending their use while questioning their effectiveness. Authorities in the state's major cities, including St Louis and Kansas City, have imposed their own mandatory requirements.

Reynolds blamed "social activity among young adults" for driving the rise in coronavirus numbers. The White House task force warned that university towns need to routinely test all students "to immediately identify new cases and outbreaks and isolate and quarantine".

Students at the University of Iowa have demanded testing after nearly 1,600 cases have been self-reported on the campus since 18 August but the university has resisted.

The US senator for Iowa, Joni Ernst, speculated that doctors were exaggerating the fatalities by falsely pinning deaths from other causes on Covid-19. Ernst, a Republican facing a close race for re-election, picked up on a conspiracy theory that misinterprets official statistics to say she was "so sceptical" about the official coronavirus death toll.

"These healthcare providers and others are reimbursed at a higher rate if Covid is tied to it, so what do you think they're doing?" she said, according to the Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier.

www.theguardian.com

Iowa refuses to close bars and require masks as Covid-19 cases surge in cities

Iowa City and Ames endure worst surge in the country as cases have risen sharply across the whole midwest

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I can't tell if these conservative officials are actually this willfully fucking stupid, or if they just know their base is and appealing to that bottom rung of society is all they have left.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Sacrificing lives to show support for your boss? That's cult or gang-like behavior.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Things are about to get reeeeeally ugly with school in session and outdoor seating at restaurants going away for the season.

Sephiroth

Oct 26, 2017
I can't tell if these conservative officials are actually this willfully fucking stupid, or if they just know their base is and appealing to that bottom rung of society is all they have left.

Iowan here. It is both. On the brightside, a lot of school districts have been fighting tooth and nail against her edict that kids must attend school in person for at least a portion of the time.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The US senator for Iowa, Joni Ernst, speculated that doctors were exaggerating the fatalities by falsely pinning deaths from other causes on Covid-19. Ernst, a Republican facing a close race for re-election, picked up on a conspiracy theory that misinterprets official statistics to say she was "so sceptical" about the official coronavirus death toll.

"These healthcare providers and others are reimbursed at a higher rate if Covid is tied to it, so what do you think they're doing?" she said, according to the Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier.
As an Iowan, I beg the rest of my state: Vote this shitheel out.

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
None of that stuff is gonna happen. The government has given up, people don't believe it's real or that bad. This is the new normal now.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017

Herman Cain was an MD and managed to kill himself by denying medicine towing the party line in the midst of a global pandemic. I don't know if that answers your question, but if that's the end result, I don't know that it matters.

Last edited:

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Things are about to get reeeeeally ugly with school in session and outdoor seating at restaurants going away for the season.
Things are already ugly as hell. I live in Iowa City and the disease is still exploding here even after Reynolds (Thankfully) shut the bars down in these counties. I can't believe restaurants are still allowed to seat patrons. Me and the people at my lab have an ongoing bet on when the University of Iowa will be forced to close down again; I bet in October, which seems pretty optimistic at this point in time.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Iowan here. It is both. On the brightside, a lot of school districts have been fighting tooth and nail against her edict that kids must attend school in person for at least a portion of the time.

It's not just Iowa either. It's in literally every state conservatives control lock stock and barrel. Tennessee has TONS of complete morons, some of who are elected officials.... but people like Bill Lee and Marsha Blackburn know exactly what they're doing, and it's sickening. Motherfucking fascists, the lot of them.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Reynolds blamed "social activity among young adults" for driving the rise in coronavirus numbers. The White House task force warned that university towns need to routinely test all students "to immediately identify new cases and outbreaks and isolate and quarantine".

So now it's a young person's disease? These people need to make up their minds.

Silence

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Reynolds is a monster. Iowa is amount the worst in the world in cases per 100,000. She refused to take appropriate action, and has blood on her hands. I will never understand how people can vote for these people.

Republicans like Reynolds are not stupid, they're evil, full stop. They care about money, fame and power, and nothing for the loss of life.