• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Update: Please fully explain what you love about the app. My plan is to organize a list based on use and platform in the OP so people can use it as a quick compare and contrast resource. Thanks! Great suggestions so far.

The response to this thread a few days ago was very positive, so I figured it might be worth revisiting this Era.

I've been on a kick recently about owning things "on purpose". After moving a bunch of stuff I really didn't need or use, I started to reevaluate why I have the things that I have. After a very satisfying purge, I've changed my purchasing habits to only include things that a. I really need and/or b. Are extremely high quality and won't break down any time soon.

This philosophy could be taken into the mobile device space as well. There are so many apps out there that do so many things well and it can be hard, in my opinion, to always sift through all the crap. The thread I posted a few days ago already had so many great suggestions. I'll share a few here as long as the original ones I picked.

Basically, what apps are the best at what they do?

The ones I originally suggested were:

Overcast - I'm admittedly a newer user on the podcast scene, so this app seems to work wonderfully. In addition to all the typical features, I love the look of the app as well as the feature that allows you to cut out any audio dead space in a naturally sounding way. I had many users reply that they prefer Pocket Casts, but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Simplenotes - I've tried evernote and apps like it but I was put off by all the features. All I wanted was a simple, uncluttered way to make several lists of things to keep track of. This fit my need perfectly.

Charity Miles - If you walk, run, or bike frequently, I think this is a must-have app. If you turn it on before your workout, you get to pick a charity that will be donated to based on how far you go. It reminds me of jump-for-the-heart as a kid. Free of charge and it is an added incentive to work out.

Some apps that I've started using since they were suggested to me are:

Fantastical
Things
AnyList

but I'll let other users who have used them longer than I have explain why they're so great. All 3 apps have made a great first impression.

Last edited:

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm even more pissed now that the OT was nuked. I don't think I have the energy to retype everything, lol.

Basically:

Nova Launcher

Textra

Sleep as Android

Event Flow

Talon

Google Voice

These are all amazing Android Apps.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I'm a big Pocket Casts fan. The nice thing it has that I think is missing from Overcast is the ability to trim silence as a way to speed up or shorten podcasts length. It's a big help along with speeding up playback. Having a desktop web client is nice too.

EDIT: I'll add Apollo and Tweetbot too. Just recently installed both but I'd been waiting for a really nice Reddit app since switching from Android. Tweetbot reminded that using Twitter doesn't have to completely suck too. It's actually nice to scroll through my feed again.

Salamande

Oct 25, 2017
If you read a lot of ebooks or audiobooks, check and see if your library has OverDrive access. I think you can check out up to five items at a time with your regular library account. I've found it incredibly convenient, and it's saved me a bundle.

On Android, I've used Podcast Addict for years. Has lots of features, but is still pretty easy to use.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Evernote. Subscription costs suck but I don't have a note taking app that works as well as it does.

Apollo. Reddit client.

Google Drive. I love this thing.

Instapaper. Because there are so many times I lose service on the subway.

Udemy. Learning is fun and affordable.

Pocketcasts. Best iOS podcast app

OP
OP
Balbanes

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
If you read a lot of ebooks or audiobooks, check and see if your library has OverDrive access. I think you can check out up to five items at a time with your regular library account. I've found it incredibly convenient, and it's saved me a bundle.

On Android, I've used Podcast Addict for years. Has lots of features, but is still pretty easy to use.

Wow, that library idea seems great! Thanks for the suggestion.

Drelkag

Oct 25, 2017
Pocket Casts for podcasts. First thing I install on any device.

Then there's Feedly for all my news.

Juan29.Zapata

Oct 25, 2017
Colombia
576x768bb.jpg

Headspace is one of the best apps I've ever used. It's for meditation, where you can do short (literally 2 minutes) and extremely long sessions (hours). It can focus on several topics, like anxiety, depression, sex, moving out of your parents' house, motivation, anger, jealousy, focusing on work, and there's even a section for you to do meditation with your children.

They are constantly putting new courses, and I find it quite worth the while just to try the first 10 sessions (which are free) and go from there if you like it.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
iOS:

Fantastical - hands down the best calendar app I've ever used, I bought both the iOS and macOS versions!
Apollo - best Reddit client with an ultra responsive dev
Tweetbot - excellent Twitter client (no ads!)
Deliveries - handy for tracking packages from all couriers
1Password - safely keeps passwords in place
2STP (unfortunately this is discontinued) - easy to use alternative to Google Authentication/Authy

OP
OP
Balbanes

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastical - hands down the best calendar app I've ever used, I bought both the iOS and macOS versions!

This got quite a few recommendations in the last thread, so I decided to try it out. It really is fantastic. My fiance and I didn't really use iCloud or Google calendar, so it took some fine tuning to get it how I wanted with one color for my stuff, one color for her stuff, and one color for things we both need to attend. I ended up having to make three separate google calendar accounts and linking both of our phones to all 3. I wish it would have just let me color code things as I put them in, but I might have missed the option to do this.

I looked into the macOS version as well. It looks really nice. Almost makes me want to go buy another mac ;)

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
This got quite a few recommendations in the last thread, so I decided to try it out. It really is fantastic. My fiance and I didn't really use iCloud or Google calendar, so it took some fine tuning to get it how I wanted with one color for my stuff, one color for her stuff, and one color for things we both need to attend. I ended up having to make three separate google calendar accounts and linking both of our phones to all 3. I wish it would have just let me color code things as I put them in, but I might have missed the option to do this.

I looked into the macOS version as well. It looks really nice. Almost makes me want to go buy another mac ;)

Lol it's great, isn't it? I have a personal (blue), shared (green), payments (red), and holidays (orange) calendar which I've color coordinated so you should be able to switch colors with yours!

deim0s

Oct 25, 2017
Nova Launcher
Pocket Casts
Firefox Focus
Metal Pro (lite alternative to Facebook apps + Twitter too)
Authy
Dropbox/Google Drive
Google Keep
Simplenote
Keepass2Android (Password manager)
AirDroid

Pocket Casts
Flamingo for Twitter
Slide for Reddit
Nova Launcher
Pushbullet
Movie Mate
Flynx

Remind me why people jumped ship from Pushbullet?

Include

Oct 25, 2017
Nova launcher, Moon reader, Google keep and Shazam are my most used and the best in my opinion at what they do.

Oct 25, 2017
México
Google Keep.

One of my most used apps. Super lightweight, simple to use, but with more than enough features.

You can use it on every device via app or web, no matter the platform.

Extremely polished app/service.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastical and TweetBot are both already mentioned and excellent. I also use Google Maps and Spotify a whole bunch. A few others I commonly use:

Transit - Great if you use any form of public transportation
Authy - Great for keeping track of your Google based two factor authentications
Bandsintown - Great to find shows/concerts I might want to attend

Is there a thread specific to iOS or mobile gaming? (Not counting the one specific to gacha games.)

OP
OP
Balbanes

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
576x768bb.jpg

Headspace is one of the best apps I've ever used. It's for meditation, where you can do short (literally 2 minutes) and extremely long sessions (hours). It can focus on several topics, like anxiety, depression, sex, moving out of your parents' house, motivation, anger, jealousy, focusing on work, and there's even a section for you to do meditation with your children.

They are constantly putting new courses, and I find it quite worth the while just to try the first 10 sessions (which are free) and go from there if you like it.

I liked this mindfulness app much more than the other ones I've tried. The polish makes it feel like a very premium experience. Still, I don't think I can stomach the monthly subscription cost. I wish the lifetime membership was more reasonable.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
TweetBot - no ads, chronological timeline, no ALGORITHMZ nonsense, easier list access, syncs timeline across devices, embedded instagram photos in tweets etc etc. It's so much better than the official iOS Twitter app. The only things that does better are polls, moments and group DMs due to Twitter not allowing those in third party apps.

Juan29.Zapata

Oct 25, 2017
Colombia
I liked this mindfulness app much more than the other ones I've tried. The polish makes it feel like a very premium experience. Still, I don't think I can stomach the monthly subscription cost. I wish the lifetime membership was more reasonable.
Yeah, it's a shame. But considering that at least here in Colombia it's actually cheaper than a single PS4 game a year, I think I don't mind. Although that price is with the usual discounts they do.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
Headspace is one of the best apps I've ever used.
This recommendation looks like some cool and different from the others posted, I'll definitely have to check it out.

Does anyone have a recommendation for something similar to Google Keep, but not that? I specifically use it with lots of shared notes between my wife and I but the syncing is so bad I've just stopped making any edits. I like that it'll auto-fill grocery list items though but the app on iOS is so unpredictable. I don't mind if it's a paid app.

wasistdustin

Senior Editor at PlayMassive
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Berlin
I use Pennies (iOS) everyday. You can set up several budgets and track your earnings and buyings in a very simple way. Does anyone knows an Android app like this?

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
For Android (I'll put an asterisk next to ones that require root):

- Adguard - Blocks most ads without requiring root. AdFree Android doesn't work anymore past Nougat
- AllCast* - Cast any file on your device to Chromecast
- Amazon Kindle - It's not e-ink, but it's great for reading and responsive; I like to set it to sepia tone to not burn out my eyes
- Authy - 2FA app with cloud backup; works better than Google Authenticator
- Arkanoid vs Space Invaders - Get this game
- Barcode Scanner - Simple QR reader
- Buycott - Let's you know if the companies behind products are something you might want to boycott
- CamScanner - Simple scanner app
- FlashFire* - Lets you flash OTA updates if you're rooted; you don't need if you aren't rooted
- handyCalc - Best calculator
- Laser Level - Simple level tool
- Nova Launcher - Best launcher; I like it more than Pixel's default
- Official TWRP App - Easiest way to keep your TWRP updated. You probably don't need it without root, but it doesn't need root to work. You do need to unlock your bootloader, though
- Plex - Stream video files from your PC
- Pocket Casts - Best podcast app
- QuickPic - Good photo app; I like it more than Photos
- Root Explorer - Simple file explorer; rooting gives additional options, but it works fine without it
- suhide* - Hides your root so you can use apps that restrict rooted phones; you don't need it if you aren't rooted
- Terminal Emulator - Lets you use adb from your phone directly
- Titanium Backup* - The best backup app. It can also backup apps and data that Google's standard device transfer cannot
- VLC - Good media player with some nice gesture controls
- Wifi Analyzer - Lets you see what Wifi access points are nearby, as well as their signal strength
- Wikipedia - Better than just using Wikipedia via browser

Last edited:

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017

I had the same problem. Then I found "Meditation Studio". It's a one time fee ($5 I think) and you get access to lots of very similar content to Headspace, including "Courses" to teach you how to meditate as well as individual classes from real instructors. I've only had it for a couple of weeks so I don't know how frequently they add content but it starts off with a bunch. And the one time fee was really, really appealing.

Oct 25, 2017
I use Pennies (iOS) everyday. You can set up several budgets and track your earnings and buyings in a very simple way. Does anyone knows an Android app like this?

How is this different than something like Mint?

I had the same problem. Then I found "Meditation Studio". It's a one time fee ($5 I think) and you get access to lots of very similar content to Headspace, including "Courses" to teach you how to meditate as well as individual classes from real instructors. I've only had it for a couple of weeks so I don't know how frequently they add content but it starts off with a bunch. And the one time fee was really, really appealing.

Is this the one with the green circle as a logo? It's 3.99 on the app store. So no further subscriptions or hidden fees after buying the app?

Anthanes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you're using Lyft and Uber all the time, I recommend this app called GOA2B. It compares the prices between both apps and chooses the lowest priced ride. I've probably saved a couple dollars here and there using it. I could only imagine what could happen during rush hour. :p

Oct 25, 2017
I'll post one that I know will get overlooked: Day One

If you like to journal, or prefer personal accounting over social, it's an absolutely wonderful app. It's supported on iOS, iPad and now has an Android beta. They recently moved to subscription based which I know people hate, but devs gotta get paid.

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017
I'll post one that I know will get overlooked: Day One

If you like to journal, or prefer personal accounting over social, it's an absolutely wonderful app. It's supported on iOS, iPad and now has an Android beta. They recently moved to subscription based which I know people hate, but devs gotta get paid.

I concur. I've been using Day One daily for the past 2.5 years or so. It's great to look back and see what was going on one (or two) years ago today.

James3D

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a big fan of Tweetbot. It's expensive, but I use it so much that it's worth it. It's much better than the official app, but mostly because the official one is bad. Tweetbot is basically what twitter should be.

Last edited:

Dicer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Evie launcher (simple and lightweight just works)
Google Auth
Bacon Reader (reddit)
Mimi reader (4chan)
Opinion reward (free monies)

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Heartfeed - It's based on the old Pulse RSS reader before LinkedIn bought it, shit it up, and then ultimately discontinued it. My number most used non-stock app on iOS.

Each feed scrolls horizontally. Example of part of my Tech group (as viewed on my iPad. iPhone is the same just narrower, so you'll see about 3 items per row):

Unlimited groups and feeds only costs $2.99, but I love how image focused it is while still being compact and efficient to browse.

Last edited: