• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
yup, Fantastical's biggest advantage is offering more information at a glance. The widgets seem to have no advantage over iOS regular widgets.

Funnily, the medium sized widget is actually worse.

Like, i have an appointment tomorrow at 9am.

am4H25R.png

the iOS calendar, right now, clearly denotes it as "TOMORROW"

Fantastical reads "Today, Wed. 23"
gUpozGO.png

which, while obvious - it's 8pm, so that 9:00 thing cannot be today.
And the iOS widget shows the calendars color, so does Fantastical - but neither shows anything in the calendar box next to it.
Yeah, I noticed this too - I was concerned that I had missed something important today when I added the widget.
It feels rushed, and a downgrade from the old widgets. If they can fix the date, and color the heatmap by calendar, I might find it useful. My home screen is looking very empty now that I've moved most apps into the App Library.
Fortunately, you can add the old widget back. I thought it had been removed altogether since it disappeared once I updated the app.

Here's what happens any time I try to add a widget to my Home Screen, no matter the widget, since I updated to iOS 14:

The video ends abruptly because adding a widget triggers an immediate springboard crash, killing the recording. I've tried searching for others with this problem to no avail, and I'm currently working with Apple Support on another iOS 14-related bug; killing my 802-day move streak (second time this has happened through no fault of my own) by randomly deleting a day's worth of activity data from the Monday prior to the iOS 14 update.

Does this still happen if you tap the widget rather than dragging it?

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I noticed this too - I was concerned that I had missed something important today when I added the widget.
It feels rushed, and a downgrade from the old widgets. If they can fix the date, and color the heatmap by calendar, I might find it useful. My home screen is looking very empty now that I've moved most apps into the App Library.
Fortunately, you can add the old widget back. I thought it had been removed altogether since it disappeared once I updated the app.

Does this still happen if you tap the widget rather than dragging it?
Holy moley it doesn't! It worked! I had no idea you could tap and then hit add!

You are officially better than Apple Support themselves!

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
It's possible to close Control Center by tapping on the blurred background. I do it all the time. The Home menu within Control Center also has a blurred background, yet tapping it doesn't do anything. 🙄

Genocyber

Jan 31, 2018
Fantastical's $40 a year subscription is a joke.

I would be bonkers to pay that price for a reminder or calendar app.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Less than 3.50 a month to support independent developers and it works on every device (personal and work) that I use. I'm bonkers.

You're not bunkers at all. But to me personally, I'm already supporting other developers with a subscription, and I need to choose and draw a line somewhere. And to me this line is not paying that much for a calendar app.

Agram

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it's just me but the battery life on my XS is amazing on 14. My daily usage is mostly the same but I end the day with a much larger battery percentage. Anyone else?

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
It's an awesome app. But keep in mind these three limitations before buying it. These limitations are a direct result of what is available in the API Apple provides to developers.

- You can create playlists and add stuff to them, but you can't remove songs or delete playlists directly in Marvis. You need to do it in the regular Music app. But Marvis has a quickly accessible button to open the Music app, do what you need to do, and then switch back to Marvis.

- In the same way, you can't directly edit the Up Next section. But there are Play Next and Play Last functionalities, though.

- Home Sharing is not available.

So depending on your habits and workflows, it may or may not be a problem. But again, opening the regular Music app to edit a playlist or edit the Up Next section, and then switch back to Marvis is fairly quick and easy to do.
Yea I don't need any of those. I was about to buy it, but I remembered that my car connects to my iPhone with Bluetooth. I assume that it would use the iOS app. Is there any way to make Marvis the default music player?

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Yea I don't need any of those. I was about to buy it, but I remembered that my car connects to my iPhone with Bluetooth. I assume that it would use the iOS app. Is there any way to make Marvis the default music player?

Carplay? I'm not familiar with it. I don't know if you can make any change to the apps it usually uses.

But if it's just audio through Bluetooth I think you can use any app you want.

Last edited:

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it's gonna happen, but I'd love them to unify the folders on the homescreen and the folders in the App Library. Get rid of the 9x9 grid and show an overlay with all apps in the folder, sorted by their name. Allow custom sorting, too. Make the automatic grouping into folders optional. And speed up the opening animation.

Oct 25, 2017
What's with Safari loading Era like normal but the blue progress bar not completing and it seeming like it's taking forever to compete? Seems to happen more and more often at the moment and it's only with Era.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
You're not bunkers at all. But to me personally, I'm already supporting other developers with a subscription, and I need to choose and draw a line somewhere. And to me this line is not paying that much for a calendar app.
The issue i have with Fantastical's subscription model, or actually the app itself, in a way:

With each update to iOS, the stock calendar app becomes slightl more capable, catching up with the functionality that i appreciate most of Fantastical.
With each update, Fantastical adds more features that i really don't care about - like calendar sets, weather, tasks/reminders etc.

Like, if Apple manages to replicate Fantastical's month view, i might just uninstall it altogether.

Also, yeah, i don't like how Fantastical is showing upcoming events:
I have a meeting, tomorrow at 9:00 (am) - iOS shows me "no more events today", Fantastical shows "Today, Thursd. 24" "9:00-12:00 Meeting", with no indication that this is tomorrow's meeting.

iOS Calendar app Fantastical
EtS27Jc.jpg
CXbBMk6.png

Which is sucky, because if i could use Fantastical's widget, i could just remove the app icon from my home screen ...

Last edited:

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Neither Photos app or Files supporting PiP for videos feels like an oversight to me. Or am I crazy?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
My thoughts exactly. I was a Fantastical user until they switched to a subscription model.
I liked the app, but to me it wasn't worth that price at all. So I deleted it and never looked back.
I just… don't use the new subscription features.
Works the same as the app I had before they were added, and is still a lot better than the Apple one in my opinion.

Less than 3.50 a month to support independent developers and it works on every device (personal and work) that I use. I'm bonkers.
I use too many apps to afford subscription-based ones.
I understand why developers are making this move, but while the price of an individual app may seem reasonable, I cannot afford this for all of them.

What's with Safari loading Era like normal but the blue progress bar not completing and it seeming like it's taking forever to compete? Seems to happen more and more often at the moment and it's only with Era.
Probably ads.

Oct 25, 2017
I just… don't use the new subscription features.
Works the same as the app I had before they were added, and is still a lot better than the Apple one in my opinion.

I use too many apps to afford subscription-based ones.
I understand why developers are making this move, but while the price of an individual app may seem reasonable, I cannot afford this for all of them.

Probably ads.
Still does it with an ad blocker though.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Guys, I just want a wifi/hotspot and dnd/airplane mode widget on my homescreen. Is that even possible? I thought I saw it in some screenshots but its not in the "add widgets" list so to say.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I just want a wifi/hotspot and dnd/airplane mode widget on my homescreen. Is that even possible? I thought I saw it in some screenshots but its not in the "add widgets" list so to say.
I get the impression that fully interactive widgets aren't quite there yet, but why would you want these on your home screen when they're already tucked away nicely in control centre?

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
widgets can't be interactive right now. So unless Apple changes this, there will never be a widget to toggle some settings (or do anything else) without opening the corresponding app

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I gave that Aviary Twitter app a try and damn this is very nice. Looks really clean and more modern than Tweetbot, as well as having more options. I asked the dev and he confirmed he'll be adding timeline syncing (it was in the beta but he removed it due to sync issues) between the iPhone, iPad and Mac version of the app.

Some minor bugs, but I can definitely see myself switching from Tweetbot to this.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I gave that Aviary Twitter app a try and damn this is very nice. Looks really clean and more modern than Tweetbot, as well as having more options. I asked the dev and he confirmed he'll be adding timeline syncing (it was in the beta but he removed it due to sync issues) between the iPhone, iPad and Mac version of the app.

Some minor bugs, but I can definitely see myself switching from Tweetbot to this.
Still have yet to buy it but does it have 'advanced' muting like tweetbot? Like with regular expressions? Only time I was tempted to buy Tweetbot was when I found out it had that lol.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I get the impression that fully interactive widgets aren't quite there yet, but why would you want these on your home screen when they're already tucked away nicely in control centre?

my hands aren't that big and control centre is a pain in the ass to reach (no I don't want to hear about reachability or whatever it's called). Especially when I'm on the move with my pc and I need to start/stop hotspots a lot.

I forgot they couldn't be interactive 😅

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
widgets can't be interactive right now. So unless Apple changes this, there will never be a widget to toggle some settings (or do anything else) without opening the corresponding app

I dont even know if I can wait for iOS 15 for them to fix that. Such a crazy oversight. While I might not need them on my home screens, interactive widgets on the today view (or whatever that 'slide right' view is called) are essential for me. Pcalc is amazing, buttons for my smart lights, smart plugs, harmony app etc.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
My four empty buttons in Control Centre are now populated by two double-width Home scenes from my Favourites. I didn't do anything to make it happen, it just did. That's better than the stupid blank buttons, but I'd prefer to remove the double-width Home button and just have a single row of standard-size buttons of my choice.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I dont even know if I can wait for iOS 15 for them to fix that. Such a crazy oversight. While I might not need them on my home screens, interactive widgets on the today view (or whatever that 'slide right' view is called) are essential for me. Pcalc is amazing, buttons for my smart lights, smart plugs, harmony app etc.
Widgets are utterly useless until they add interactivity. There are some very simple use cases where these widgets make sense, but for the majority of use cases you want interactivity.
Now let's wait for the apps to update their widgets, so that the interactive ones from the today view get replaced with the stupid new ones. Infuriating

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Still have yet to buy it but does it have 'advanced' muting like tweetbot? Like with regular expressions? Only time I was tempted to buy Tweetbot was when I found out it had that lol.
Yeah that's all there. You can mute users, keywords, hashtags and regular expressions. Also lets you mute tweets above and below a specified likes/retweets/followers threshold.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I guess with Apple adding Dark Sky's precipitation forecast to the Weather app, Dark Sky itself won't be getting a widget update. But Weather's precipitation forecast is US only for now. What's a good weather app that has hyperlocal precipitation warnings, works outside the US and has iOS 14 widgets? Carrot?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Widgets are utterly useless until they add interactivity. There are some very simple use cases where these widgets make sense, but for the majority of use cases you want interactivity.
Now let's wait for the apps to update their widgets, so that the interactive ones from the today view get replaced with the stupid new ones. Infuriating

I like the weather one for a quick check, and photos often gives me a nice moment during the day. But yeah agree

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I guess with Apple adding Dark Sky's precipitation forecast to the Weather app, Dark Sky itself won't be getting a widget update. But Weather's precipitation forecast is US only for now. What's a good weather app that has hyperlocal precipitation warnings, works outside the US and has iOS 14 widgets? Carrot?
I'd say depends on your location and what providers they use. I use Hello Weather since I really liked it's older wideget, which is how I view my weather info mostly. Still waiting for the iOS 14 one. Ideally you'd want something with selectable weather sources to see which one is actually accurate for your area.

Carrot is ok but paying for the app and subscription is dumb. And I say this while having no issue paying for HW's subscription.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
They can still ship both in iOS 14 afaik, so unless the dev fucks up, that's not a reason for concern.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Carrot is ok but paying for the app and subscription is dumb. And I say this while having no issue paying for HW's subscription.
Yeah I'm just reading Carrot's pricing structure now. Buying the app is fine, but you need a subscription to activate background widget updates?! The rainfall widget is useless if it doesn't update automatically. I would expect that to be included in the price of the app.

Last edited:

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I'm just reading Carrot's pricing structure now. Buying the app is fine, but you need a subscription to activate background widget updates?! The rainfall widget is useless is it doesn't update automatically. I would expect that to be included in the price of the app.
I think subscriptions make sense for weather apps since they need to pay for the data, but at least don't charge for the app lol.

My current choice:
apps.apple.com

‎Hello Weather: Forecast & Maps

‎Hi, we're Jonas and Trevor, the crew behind Hello Weather. There are a million weather apps out there, and they're all overloaded with ugly ads, confusing interfaces, and stupid gimmicks. We think that stinks, so we made the antidote—a straightforward, no-nonsense app that’s a joy to use. Five...

WeatherLine is also maybe another option. They have iOS 14 widgets now. I actually did pay for this years ago but the old widget was so slow for me to update, and like I said that's mostly how I consume weather info, hence the switch to HW

apps.apple.com

‎Weather Line - Super Forecast

‎World’s best weather data like you’ve never seen it before. Intuitive visual reports in a strikingly simple design, because your brain processes images 60,000x faster than text. ▶ WIDGETS • Pick you size and daily/hourly • Customize from 20 themes • Get real-time rain and snow • Stay healthy...

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I think subscriptions make sense for weather apps since they need to pay for the data, but at least don't charge for the app lol.

My current choice:
apps.apple.com

‎Hi, we're Jonas and Trevor, the crew behind Hello Weather. There are a million weather apps out there, and they're all overloaded with ugly ads, confusing interfaces, and stupid gimmicks. We think that stinks, so we made the antidote—a straightforward, no-nonsense app that’s a joy to use. Five...

WeatherLine is also maybe another option. They have iOS 14 widgets now. I actually did pay for this years ago but the old widget was so slow for me to update, and like I said that's mostly how I consume weather info, hence the switch to HW

apps.apple.com

‎World’s best weather data like you’ve never seen it before. Intuitive visual reports in a strikingly simple design, because your brain processes images 60,000x faster than text. ▶ WIDGETS • Pick you size and daily/hourly • Customize from 20 themes • Get real-time rain and snow • Stay healthy...
Thanks, these both look good. I might try a month of Weather Line while I wait for Hello to update. I don't have a problem with weather subscriptions, just subscriptions on top of having to buy the app. Feels like a sneaky way to add sunk cost to our calculations when considering changing to another app.

Green

Oct 27, 2017

My current choice:
apps.apple.com

apps.apple.com

Wait do you have to pay for Weather Line? I've been using their widget since iOS14 came out and haven't been prompted to pay for anything.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Wait do you have to pay for Weather Line? I've been using their widget since iOS14 came out and haven't been prompted to pay for anything.
I thought it was subscription only, but they have a free version. Can pay for extra features:

FREE
• Standard data provider
• All widgets
• All weather data
• 7 day and 24 hour forecasts
• Travel Assist
• Dark mode
• 10 locations
• Monthly averages

SUPERCHARGE (PRO)
• Super Forecast - Dark Sky + AccuWeather + WDT
• Themes (app and widgets)
• Custom App Icons
• 10x more frequent widget refresh
• 10 day and 108 hour forecasts
• Animated HD Radar
• Minutely rain
• Moon phases

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Weatherline widget alone has me likely switching from carrot. Just need to check the forecast accuracy is similar. I'm ok paying a small amount for better data

a stack of 2x1 widget with one being the hourly forecast and one being the daily is amazing - glance for the weather in the morning, swipe gets you the look ahead for the week

Deleted member 77553

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
The issue i have with Fantastical's subscription model, or actually the app itself, in a way:

With each update to iOS, the stock calendar app becomes slightl more capable, catching up with the functionality that i appreciate most of Fantastical.
With each update, Fantastical adds more features that i really don't care about - like calendar sets, weather, tasks/reminders etc.

Like, if Apple manages to replicate Fantastical's month view, i might just uninstall it altogether.

Also, yeah, i don't like how Fantastical is showing upcoming events:
I have a meeting, tomorrow at 9:00 (am) - iOS shows me "no more events today", Fantastical shows "Today, Thursd. 24" "9:00-12:00 Meeting", with no indication that this is tomorrow's meeting.

iOS Calendar app Fantastical
EtS27Jc.jpg
CXbBMk6.png

Which is sucky, because if i could use Fantastical's widget, i could just remove the app icon from my home screen ...
How do I get the reset era app? It's not available in the App Store for me

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone that uses Hello Weather/Weatherline - do the in app subs support family sharing? I'm using Dark Sky at the moment but if it's not getting a meaningful update any time soon I don't mind looking at something else and $9 for Hello Weather yearly for example is fine.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't get the "rain starting in x minutes" stuff to show in the widgets until I started the free trial.

Interesting. Well I don't care about that feature much as we are about to head hard into snow season for like 6 months where I live... Just temperature line is good enough for me.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone that uses Hello Weather/Weatherline - do the in app subs support family sharing? I'm using Dark Sky at the moment but if it's not getting a meaningful update any time soon I don't mind looking at something else and $9 for Hello Weather yearly for example is fine.
Not sure about WL but the HW FAQ says nope.