• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Are there any cool widgets in the wild yet? I've seen some talk of Carrot Weather, but I use Dark Sky and will wait for that.

The only updated app I have is Day One. That got some cool-looking widgets but I rarely use the app these days.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Everything does seem mostly the same, except for the fact that incoming phone calls no longer interrupt what I'm doing. Biggest upgrade in recent history, and it's worth it for that feature alone.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
9IV9feS.jpg

Did there used to be this much wasted space above the dock before? I can't even remember now. It's throwing me off.

Having a few Wi-Fi issues since upgrading also.

Last edited:

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017
Back Tap was working fine yesterday but today I can't get it to work, even without a case. Anyone in the same boat?

Edit: Restarting seems to have fixed it

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My iPhone 11 Pro is definitely faster than on iOS13, all the widgets and everything else are so minor that I don't even notice them. The widgets are also very very basic

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
It's the Home section. It uses 8 slots even if you only need 4 buttons. On my 8 Plus it causes the bottom row of buttons (the ones I use the most) to be cut off by the bottom of the screen.
I do like the shortcuts to turn on/off my lights (though I rather use my Nest Mini). But seriously, what were they thinking?

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Are there any cool widgets in the wild yet? I've seen some talk of Carrot Weather, but I use Dark Sky and will wait for that.

The only updated app I have is Day One. That got some cool-looking widgets but I rarely use the app these days.

Apollo has a 4x4 one that cycles through popular posts in photo-heavy subreddits like ITAP (well, only ITAP so far for me), so you get a lot of nice looking photos on your home screen.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it needs to be way more customisable. The whole of Control Center needs to be. I want to ditch that Screen Sharing button, and the volume slider.
Yeah, not sure why Apple is so against removing some of that stuff. Who uses the volume slider, while you can just press the buttons on the side?
I also don't like how they removed the "up next" widget. I used to check my alarm and appointments there with a quick swipe.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there anyway to organise the tabs at the bottom of the music app?
Moving Library to the third space after all this time is a major pain to get used to.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Ah, well... No actual News app for us Finns, so I can't block sources since I can't access the feed.

So in other words, this

It's hilariously stupid. I just want a periodically refreshing widget with top stories from one or two sites I actually am willing to read. I really don't understand what the hell Apple has been thinking with their News app.

so dumb. especially if they start bundling news+ in apple one, a lot of people are gonna be confused about how shitty it is

finfinfin

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018

Weather Line has a widget, I guess? I don't know how I survived using the default Weather app's widget during the beta. It shows like six hours or something.

OP
OP
브라이언

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, so in order to use an app's widget, the app itself needs to be on the Home Screen and not in the App Library?

This is beyond stupid, if it's on the home screen somewhere I'm best off just using the app itself.
uh wut? no i don't think that's the case.

don't have the TV app nor Apollo on my home screen.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
These should work fine - but they'll still only be available on the today screen and at the bottom of the list. This is how Dark Sky works for me anyway.
These will still work fine in iOS 14 (they do for me at least) and can only be used like in iOS 13 (= no home screen). They will be killed in iOS 15 though afaik. So hopefully they will allow interactive widgets next year.
Well that's a relief. Thanks.
Did there used to be this much wasted space above the dock before? I can't even remember now. It's throwing me off.
No, they decreased the space between the icon rows. It added something like half an icon's worth of extra space to the bottom of the page. I assume they did it to achieve nicer looking widgets.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Had the weather widget on for like 20 mins. I dunno. It's just kind of ugly having them.

And I thought that 14 was supposed to finally support 4K YouTube on Apple TV but it's still capped at 1080p?

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
This watch update is killing me. It's been 14 hours, the watchOS 7.0 process finally finished and now it says there's a new update available during setup lol

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just spent 30 mins flicking between different dolby almost movies on the TV app on my phone to test spacial audio. I'm impressed. It's weird though, weirdly... good?

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
No, they decreased the space between the icon rows. It added something like half an icon's worth of extra space to the bottom of the page. I assume they did it to achieve nicer looking widgets.

Ahh thanks. It not being symmetrical is bugging me a little.

It's nice to finally get rid of pages of apps and folders though and just have a single home screen with an app library.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
Got updated.

I'm using 12.9in 2018 iPad Pro with the Magic Keyboard. I have this annoying glitch that didn't exist before where all my messaging apps pop up the digital keyboard even when I'm attached to the Magic Keyboard.

Anyone know if iPadOS14 toggled that back on or if it's legitimately a bug? I can't find a setting to turn it off.
I have the same problem, except some time the bug triggers itself and for the rest of the times it works fine.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I updated, everything went smooth :)

But, I have to say, as someone who ignored iOS 14 until today, the widgets are a massive disappointment. Giant buttons you can't interact with. I used Android years ago (switched to iOS with a 6+, used it for years before) and that's all Apple could do? Wow

Oct 25, 2017
Where's the new Siri look? When I say "Hey Siri" she still goes into full screen mode.

Turns out it as the type to Siri option on in accessibility that stopped the new compact one working.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
9IV9feS.jpg

Having a few Wi-Fi issues since upgrading also.
I was wondering the same thing about the space. I honestly wish they would just unstick these icons and let me get to work arranging my shit after all these years.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I was ambivalent about the widgets and that was the "big thing" from the update, so I was pretty much 'meh' about the whole update. I just got signed out of everything I am constantly signed into on Safari, which annoyed the hell out of me.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Unless I'm missing something, removing force touch from the watch already turned out to be a shit move. I immediately noticed it when trying to change the app view. Now that you can't force touch any more, you have to navigate into the effing settings on the watch to change it... holding down just put it into wiggle mode for deleting apps.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Currently have a Smart Stack with weather, notes, reminders, and calendar. Not only does this consolidate a bunch of the widgets I would want most, but it let's let save space by getting those apps off the Home Screen. I haven't really found any other widgets useful yet.