• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Hate how hit or miss 4k YouTube is right now on my Pro. Went from being able to watch vids in 2160 when I turned on incognito mode, now it doesnt work at all since the YouTube app just updated today for me lol.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I wish all the widgets had a "Enter the app normally" button in adition to fasttracking you to specific content within the app.

As is, icons and widgets serve different purposes, and one can't replace another.
Agreed. I'm sending feedback on this to Apple. I wish the top right or bottom right corner of each widget had the associated app's logo or icon or such to just jump me to opening the app (many widgets have the app logo but hitting it just clicks the nearest content link in the widget so you end up on the page of a specific news piece or podcast episode). I don't want to tap the calendar and only end up on a single event or day. I don't want to only open specific episodes of Podcasts every time.

but I don't want an app icon and a widget to be necessary.

a widget should be able to both open the app AND feed me specific content links. I should not need both separately.
Yes. This. Mainly with Music, which should open the app If you tap the music note in the corner. It's the only reason I need to keep the Music app on my dock. I also really hope they put Now Playing on it at some point. Or offer a Now Playing variation of the widget. What I want is a 4x2 Music widget that has the top half show Now Playing and the artwork and the bottom half has four of your most recent playlists listed. Tap on the top half and it opens Music to Now Playing, or tap the bottom and it opens that playlist.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Why wont they let us use widgets on the homescreen on the ipad? It makes no sense.
This isn't a defense, but there's speculation that iPadOS is getting a larger redesign of the fundamentals next year (when iPad apps will exist on Macs too so they want to differentiate the two more).

In that case Apple probably thought the development now wasn't worth it for something that's getting replaced next year anyway.

Last edited:

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
My Map widget and Music widgets have stopped updating. The Map has been stuck in Dark Mode since yesterday and Music wrongly says I have no recently played music so it is blank...

Gorthaur

Oct 28, 2017
Any way to get the beta 3? I'm stuck in public beta 2 with the weird storage bug (showing only 14 GB free when I have only less than 10 apps and it's a 128 GB model).

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't a defense, but there's speculation that iPadOS is getting a larger redesign of the fundamentals next year (when iPad apps will exist on Macs too so they want to differentiate the two more).

In that case Apple probably thought the development now wasn't worth it for something that's getting replaced next year anyway.

The today view will eventually support the new widgets when in landscape mode on ipad? Or not even there?

My guess is size. If they're 2x2/4x4 icons based on an iphone grid - the gaps between icons are much bigger on ipad (And also variable) so the grid would be messed up and the widgets wouldn't like up with the other app icons. May require more time/thought on how to integrate them on ipad

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't even notice 3D Touch was disabled. What does it do different from long hold anyway?

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I really hope they'll do a widget for the health app. I check metrics all the time, would be handy to have that on the homescreen. For people with certain conditions that they need to be reminded about, even more important.

Last edited:

ASTROID2

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why its taking ages to get a macOS Big Sur public beta. Been waiting forever.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I wonder why its taking ages to get a macOS Big Sur public beta. Been waiting forever.
I imagine they are trying to work out serious bugs. In my experience over the past several years, macOS has been the beta that fucks over the most people with very hard fixes to restore their Macs. I hope they are trying to make it super stable even for a beta.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I really hope they'll do a widget for the health app. I check metrics all the time, would be handy to have that on the homescreen. For people with certain conditions that they need to be reminded about, even more important.
Yeah the Fitness widget is nice but I'd love to see more from health like heart rate and more
I wish they'd do merged versions of some widgets. I want a calendar that also has the time. Or a clock with the next event. Take some cues from Apple Watch. A fitness widget that also has some health stuff would be nice. Maybe a widget that can be constructed like a Watch face. They could release a standalone app that offers this. Widget Constructor or something.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
How often are widgets supposed to update? The Stocks widget says the markets are up but they have been down for a long time today lol

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Am I blind, or is the ability to add a shortcut to a Siri command gone from the Siri menu in settings?

I've made some new shortcuts in the apple shortcuts app but I don't see a way to create a Siri command for them.

Edit: Whoops! It's been so long that I forgot Apple removed this and just has the name of the shortcut be the Siri command.

Last edited:

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
3D Touch and haptic feedback aren't the same thing. You can still get haptic feedback on a long press or any other action even without 3D Touch.
3D Touch is the name for the pressure sensitive commands. Haptic Touch is the actual name for touches based on nuanced touch timing and feedback that replace the functionality of 3D Touch with some compromising to do so.

Haptic feedback is a generic element of many activities in iOS and is different than Haptic Touch that he mentioned. Haptic Touch is the replacement for 3D Touch.

OberstKrueger

Jan 7, 2018
Widgets look/seem cool but when I was on Android they were often battery or data hogs so eventually I just turned them all off and never missed them when I went to iOS. I'm glad they are here for those who want them but it's not something I'll ever use.
Widgets are a bit different on iOS. Apple's specifically setting them up so that they're not interactive, mostly just a view into specific pieces of data. And the update schedule doesn't allow you to do too much that should be a drain on the battery. So that shouldn't be as much of an issue.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
No more force touch on the keyboard is a big loss. I know you can use the spacebar but it's not as good.

I understand why 3D Touch is a bad idea in some ways but if you know about it, it can be used for some great interactions.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bought another 18watt official charger. That being said fuck the Apple tax on this shit that you have to buy the cable and the brick separately. Thankfully I have an couple extra usb c to lightning cables.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why not something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TC53ZYD/ (or the dual USB-C variant).

This size, feel, and power of this astonishing...

I know it doesn't happen with most main stream 3rd party chargers

BUT

it still bugs me that most chargers aren't actually spec compliant which is why I stopped buying 3rd party chargers a couple years ago. So I only buy official stuff now from Apple/Google/Samsung ect...

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I know it doesn't happen with most main stream 3rd party chargers

BUT

it still bugs me that most chargers aren't actually spec compliant which is why I stopped buying 3rd party chargers a couple years ago. So I only buy official stuff now from Apple/Google/Samsung ect...
The reason I originally bought it was because of this article (before Wirecutter was owned by NY Times): https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/this-tiny-gallium-nitride-laptop-charger-is-great/

I waited for the price to drop before purchasing it. It's been my main charger for past year for charging my laptop, tablet, and phone. I remember a colleague made a comment probably thinking I was being dumb, but then I explained this this can really charge their laptop and how its new tech, lol...

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Yeah there's plenty of good brands making quality USB-C chargers. We are way past those early days.
That tiny Ravpower is highly recommend and I use it for my laptops, Switch, everything.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like they added a moving gradient to the background of the music player which is really distracting because there's really awful banding. And I'm on the 11 Pro Max.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Looks like they added a moving gradient to the background of the music player which is really distracting because there's really awful banding. And I'm on the 11 Pro Max.
Yeah it does that on mine too. I think the colors alone from the album art look nice so I don't know why the put the motion in there because it does look rough.

timeforsana

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else having Apple Music auto-downloading an album when you add it to your library? Been going on since the first beta.

oc_

Oct 25, 2017
anyone's 11 pro max battery completely ass with this update? gets super hot too :/