• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
What's wrong with it? It's the same keyboard everywhere else, what do you mean?
The autocorrect bugs and wonky cursor bullshit that appeared with iOS 13 seem to be amplified by the resetera reply box.

I have no idea why. Maybe the editor adds a tiny bit of lag, which confuses iOS.

As an example of the fuckery, I pressed return to start a new line, then return again to add a blank line. The second return adds a blank line but the cursor stays on the previous line, until I press return a third time.

Oct 25, 2017
What's wrong with it? It's the same keyboard everywhere else, what do you mean?
the dynamic text box mode that it defaults to tries to do weird things when you're backspacing (ie jumps the cursor back to the start of the previous word when you're backspacing) and constantly eats carriage returns. there must be some JS nonsense trying to make the box "feel better" and it's just... terrible

also, i can't confirm this, but i'm sure autocorrect is much much worst in those boxes

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I can't stress enough how much I hate the iOS keyboard.
Oh yes. They totally fucked it with iOS 13. It worked great for me before, now it does all this random nonsense for whatever reason. Mixing my German and US keyboard suggestions, weird autocorrects that should never happen in the middle of a sentence, suggestions that can't be selected... the list is long.

To this day this fucking thing does not understand the names of my kids, replaces them ALL THE TIME with nonsense.

I tried the google keyboard, but that had other problems and I don't like the idea to share my keyboard data with another company :(

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh yes. They totally fucked it with iOS 13. It worked great for me before, now it does all this random nonsense for whatever reason. Mixing my German and US keyboard suggestions, weird autocorrects that should never happen in the middle of a sentence, suggestions that can't be selected... the list is long.

To this day this fucking thing does not understand the names of my kids, replaces them ALL THE TIME with nonsense.

I tried the google keyboard, but that had other problems and I don't like the idea to share my keyboard data with another company :(
iOS 13 completely broke it. It's terrible.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Instagram app is broken half the time, and no app updates seem to fix my problem : keyboard disappearing every now and then, DMs malfunctioning...

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
1T5ikzt.jpg

the button toggles the wysiwyg editor in era

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Not strictly an iOS question (although it could be the culprit), but since updating to iOS 13 and updating Messenger any screenshots/photos I send to friends are now heavily compressed.

Any ideas as to how to fix this? I tried Googling it but I had no luck.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Not strictly an iOS question (although it could be the culprit), but since updating to iOS 13 and updating Messenger any screenshots/photos I send to friends are now heavily compressed.

Any ideas as to how to fix this? I tried Googling it but I had no luck.
Do you have low quality image mode turned on? The option is at the bottom of the Messages section in Settings.

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017
Turn off the style toggle with the cog and it's better.

Oh my god, thank you.

I have been fighting with this damn reply box on iPadOS since it came out, constant weird things happening, random spaces, capitalisation where they shouldn't be, new line messing things up randomly. I had assumed it was some weird forum software thing that they were never going to sort out for iOS users.

But holy moly it is so much better typing now.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It baffles me why it's taking companies so long to add a dark theme.
As someone who works in app development it takes time, money, human resources from other ongoing projects. You can't just pull people off design sprints to do what's not an essential add.

Adding Dark Mode needs to be considered and designed to fit with specific tones to match a brand, you can't just make things black.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who works in app development it takes time, money, human resources from other ongoing projects. You can't just pull people off design sprints to do what's not an essential add.

Adding Dark Mode needs to be considered and designed to fit with specific tones to match a brand, you can't just make things black.

I'm a software dev. It boggles my mind this has taken this long.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
I noticed an irritating issue with the touch keyboard that I feel I should mentioned in here. Spell check keeps trying to autocorrect my friend's names with their names in ALL CAPS. Has anyone else been seeing that issue?

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Gmail app sucks so hard (iPad)

No real multitasking and not being able to access stuff located in Files directly from the app is mind boggling.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gmail on iOS is garbage. I don't know why people like that shitty app .It feels completely wrong on iOS - like all the buttons, date selectors, UI elements feel like they come from a completely different OS. Compare it to the MS Outlook app which looks and feels like an iOS app yet maintains Microsoft's design language.

And since Google got rid of push on the default iOS mail app, I have no choice but to use it. Thinking strongly about moving everything over to an @Outlook.com address.

Oh and don't even get me started on how it takes a fucking massive company like Google over 6 months to "roll out" dark mode. I STILL don't have it despite the splash screen being black. SMFH.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Gmail on iOS is garbage. I don't know why people like that shitty app .It feels completely wrong on iOS - like all the buttons, date selectors, UI elements feel like they come from a completely different OS. Compare it to the MS Outlook app which looks and feels like an iOS app yet maintains Microsoft's design language.

And since Google got rid of push on the default iOS mail app, I have no choice but to use it. Thinking strongly about moving everything over to an @Outlook.com address.

Oh and don't even get me started on how it takes a fucking massive company like Google over 6 months to "roll out" dark mode. I STILL don't have it despite the splash screen being black. SMFH.
I only have Gmail installed for the Push Notifications.
Don't use the app at all otherwise.

Last edited:

hyperv0xel

Oct 27, 2017

I'll never forgive Google for killing off Inbox. Gmail is terribly clunky and outdated by comparison. And the ridiculously long "test" period for dark mode makes no sense at all.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, most of google's apps on iOS are so half assed. Luckily, that is what made it very easy for me to transition away almost entirely.

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone else noticed the stock Mail app causing a large battery drain lately? Specifically people who, like me, don't use the stock Mail app or have it turned on in any capacity. I can't figure it out.

At one point yesterday it was reporting 12 hours of background activity.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
is there an ETA for the iOS update that fixes the mail app?
Outlook doesn't work for me, why is Apple taking so long -.-

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone else noticed the stock Mail app causing a large battery drain lately? Specifically people who, like me, don't use the stock Mail app or have it turned on in any capacity. I can't figure it out.

At one point yesterday it was reporting 12 hours of background activity.
Yes (11 pro max). I deleted the app but that's not a real solution if you need the app.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a huge fan of stock email app, but it gets the job done. I have outlook installed, but that's just for work. So I keep my shit in separate apps.