• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I will say I'm impressed with Apple's aggressive turn around on these patches. But they still have a long way to go before I upgrade from 12.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of in a weird situation here. I accidently moved all of my inbox to spam in the email client on my iphone. Too much work to move it all back on an iphone so I moved to my computer and fixed the email situation on the gmail website. Gmail now shows all of my emails where they belong but the mail map in ios refuses to correctly populate my inbox. It shows my last email as being from 2015. Any suggestions? I tried deleting my gmail account from the iphone and then relinking it but that didn't change anything.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Kind of in a weird situation here. I accidently moved all of my inbox to spam in the email client on my iphone. Too much work to move it all back on an iphone so I moved to my computer and fixed the email situation on the gmail website. Gmail now shows all of my emails where they belong but the mail map in ios refuses to correctly populate my inbox. It shows my last email as being from 2015. Any suggestions? I tried deleting my gmail account from the iphone and then relinking it but that didn't change anything.
Do new emails display correctly in iOS? Send yourself one if there aren't any.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
iOS 7 was definitely the worst iOS launch I remember, and even worse is that 7.1 didn't ship for ages after even though the betas for 7.1 were way more stable than 7.0.x even well before the public release

you could also tell the redesign was rushed as hell because it was constantly changing during the betas and all the new transparency stuff had shit performance

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
iOS 8 was a fucking nightmare, I still have PTSD from that disaster. Every subsequent iOS update has been much better.
Several of the subsequent ones were pretty bad as well, which led to a general feeling of declining Apple software quality. This was really only properly addressed with iOS 12. I've seen quite a few weird bugs with iOS 13 but overall it's still much better than the releases prior to 12, though a shame they're struggling once again to maintain quality and put in planned new features simultaneously.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I don't know what revisionism you're smoking, but iOS 11 was the reason why 12 was primarily a stability update. iOS 11 was a shit show.
I didn't have near the the number of problems with 11 that people are having with 13. And I don't remember there being the large amount backlash after 11 was released, or any iOS released, that I've seen in recent days with 13. The only exception being iOS 8.

Souzetsu

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
California
I didn't have near the the number of problems with 11 that people are having with 13. And I don't remember there being the large amount backlash after 11 was released, or any iOS released, that I've seen in recent days with 13. The only exception being iOS 8.
iOS 11 was an absolute wreck on arrival. It was two years ago but I remember the disdain for that update clearly.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
Terrible performance and battery life for any phone not shipped with iOS 11.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Are we forgetting about iOS 6 which is the whole reason we needed a UI refresh? A guy was let go because of it. The rest of the tech world was moving towards sleek flat design and Forstall was insisting on more and more skeuomorphism. I'm pretty sure it was really buggy too. So much backlash.

I still shudder when I see old screenshots of pre-7 apps. (Or really old versions of OS X when lickable was the big thing)

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are we forgetting about iOS 6 which is the whole reason we needed a UI refresh? A guy was let go because of it. The rest of the tech world was moving towards sleek flat design and Forstall was insisting on more and more skeuomorphism. I'm pretty sure it was really buggy too. So much backlash.

I still shudder when I see old screenshots of pre-7 apps. (Or really old versions of OS X when lickable was the big thing)

forstall was let go because apple maps was a disaster and he refused to own up to it, not because of iOS 6 design in general

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
forstall was let go because apple maps was a disaster and he refused to own up to it, not because of iOS 6 design in general
They were still keeping us holding onto skeuomorphic design. iOS should have gone flat at least a year earlier. Everyone was expecting 6 to be a fresh start but ended up being more of the same. And yeah, I remember Apple Maps disastrous debut.

Kyonashi

Oct 24, 2017
UK
So if the dark grey segment is 'Other', what's the lighter grey segment? Need to clear some space and this chunk is significant.

NOfeRM7.png

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So if the dark grey segment is 'Other', what's the lighter grey segment? Need to clear some space and this chunk is significant.

NOfeRM7.png
That grey is "System files" as opposed to "Other". Can't decrease that one directly.
If you scroll all the way down the long list on that storage page you should see it next to the "Other" section.

Storage space taken by "System" is a combination of space taken by iOS and its supporting files. The amount of space required by "System" varies from device to device depending on the device type, model, country, carrier, Siri voices, and more.

Kyonashi

Oct 24, 2017
UK
That grey is "System files" as opposed to "Other". Can't decrease that one directly.
If you scroll all the way down the long list on that storage page you should see it next to the "Other" section.

Is it not the other way around? The darker grey is a smaller segment, which by these numbers would mean it's the system files - it's the 10GB of light grey 'other' I want to clear.
SvpsdDG.png

Stupid question. But do you really need all those apps?

I don't actually have too many apps, I guess it's just reading these apps' data within that category?

OcgFDbb.png

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Is it not the other way around? The darker grey is a smaller segment, which by these numbers would mean it's the system files - it's the 10GB of light grey 'other' I want to clear.
SvpsdDG.png
Sorry, yeah I reversed them in my mind.

"Other" you can affect but how you do it depends on what you have on the device. It's a catch-all for smaller categories that don't take up enough space to split out into its own category. Can be ebooks (for example until you have enough for those to split into "Books"), downloaded software updates, cached pictures, error logs, Siri download voices, keyboard dictionaries, app caches, or any combination of the above.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
if there was one ios feature I'd want it'd be a 'clean up other' button in settings
Could be very destructive to the functionality of apps as its so encompassing.
I would settle for the option to expand all categories however to better see what particulars take up space and forego the forced summary we have now.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Could be very destructive to the functionality of apps as its so encompassing.
I would settle for the option to expand all categories however to better see what particulars take up space and forego the forced summary we have now.

I'd take some options. Right now it sometimes gets to the level of some apps not working well because your ipad/phone is full, when its just cached stuff taking up GBs

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Instagram is particularly egregious with its cache. Really wish there was a way to clean it without having to reinstall.

Kyonashi

Oct 24, 2017
UK
Think my only option is going to have to be a fresh iOS install which is annoying, but I can't have 15% of my total storage used up by a random cache.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
I'm extreme about it and do it with every big iOS release, but I do think doing a fresh install now and then if you've been carrying backups over for a while is a good idea.

iCloud syncing makes setting your phone back up easier than it used to be

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm surprised we don't have an 'edit all notifications' option - for example, I'd want to automatically prevent any application from enabling sound notifications.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
What do you want to move to? Either you have ultra realistic or you have cartoony flat shaded. I prefer the latter now.

I mean it doesn't have to be simulated leather textures. But some kind of subtle texturing would be nice. More depth in terms of lighting, shadowing and sense of 3D space. Apple has been trying to create this with their blur effect, but I've always thought it looked kind of bad and a bit of a random design element. It doesn't do much to separate the background content from the foreground. I appreciate Google's coherent design language with their Material Design (I don't like much of it, but I appreciate the effort), and Apple sadly still misses the mark on creating something coherent and thoughtful since they went flat.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
The guy from Halide Camera posted some deep fusion pics. The speaker photo definitely looks better. You can really see the texture in that black.
It seems like it'll be hard to tell without a side by side but the photos will look better for the most part. I can't wait to see more comparisons.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
The guy from Halide Camera posted some deep fusion pics. The speaker photo definitely looks better. You can really see the texture in that black.
It seems like it'll be hard to tell without a side by side but the photos will look better for the most part. I can't wait to see more comparisons.

Good to know about the file sizes.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I mean it doesn't have to be simulated leather textures. But some kind of subtle texturing would be nice. More depth in terms of lighting, shadowing and sense of 3D space. Apple has been trying to create this with their blur effect, but I've always thought it looked kind of bad and a bit of a random design element. It doesn't do much to separate the background content from the foreground. I appreciate Google's coherent design language with their Material Design (I don't like much of it, but I appreciate the effort), and Apple sadly still misses the mark on creating something coherent and thoughtful since they went flat.
I will agree. I'd like a little bit of 3D. I don't like Material either but I like some aspects. I like animations and transitions in UI design and wish there was more in iOS here and there. After all, Apple pretty much pioneered the idea of having animations like that standard in the OS. CoreAnimation, all the neat effects OS X used to do. I sometimes miss Dashboard just for the ripples when you added a widget.

I just can't imagine where mobile OS UI design will go to from here. I can't imagine it going back to skeuomorphism and it can't get any flatter. But I'd still like to see a refresh in iOS. I mean it's been flatter longer than it was skeuomorphic at this point. Hard to believe iOS 7 was over 6 years ago. Next year should have some big changes if you ask me. Especially if the next phone designs are supposed to bring big changes as well.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I love the flat 2D designs and all the glassy/transparent elements and blur effects. Dark Mode iOS13 is by far the the best looking smartphone OS/skin/whatever I've ever seen, and personally hope they'll stick with this.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

I see the sharpness gains in the first image but not as much in the second two. Regardless I think much of this might be not noticeable at the non-100% crop images I look at on social media or wherever.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
After spending two weeks with it now, I have to say that I really dislike the changes Apple have made to the Photos app.
The "all photos" view not allowing you to zoom out like iOS 12 was a big mistake - it's no different from the "recents" album now; it doesn't group them any more, and doesn't let you get a good overview of your photos.
With my iPad running iOS 12, it displayed ~224 images in portrait mode with a 14x16 grid of photos (and could be zoomed out even further). iOS 13 reduces that to only 28, with a grid of 7x4. I don't think I have a screenshot of the view on my phone, but it's similarly cramped now.
I can't understand why they have made these changes.

It has also made me realize that they need a view which only shows photos that are not assigned to albums.
Since the "all photos" and "recents" views are basically identical now, and with them being so zoomed in, it is often difficult to find the photos I'm looking for - because I take photos for a lot of various subjects and they're all mixed together.
Having a view that ignores photos which are already in an album seems like it would make finding a specific image a lot easier.

Have had zero issues with both 13 and 13.1 🤷‍♂️

Also nothing to do with iOS 13 specifically but 🤔 @ testing multiple weather apps. No idea why carrot weather is popular. Can't get a refund either (lol)

EFi1VylXoAIKhnH
The main reason I use Carrot is because it has the best options and integration for a watch app that I have found. In my experience it updates the most frequently, and is most reliable for weather notifications.
The Carrot app is borderline useless to me. I don't like how it presents data at all, and I agree that its widget is not very good. Well, I like the top half of it. The "forecasts" are worthless.

Weather Line was the best app for seeing the upcoming conditions for the rest of the day at a glance; but not so good for detail about the current conditions. The subscription fee is too high for what the app actually does - it's very basic.
Since Weather Line doesn't seem to think I was an existing user (I've had that happen with several iOS apps actually) I think I'll be replacing it with Hello Weather from the look of it though. While I'd prefer some options to customize it, I do like that widget.

Sorry, yeah I reversed them in my mind.

"Other" you can affect but how you do it depends on what you have on the device. It's a catch-all for smaller categories that don't take up enough space to split out into its own category. Can be ebooks (for example until you have enough for those to split into "Books"), downloaded software updates, cached pictures, error logs, Siri download voices, keyboard dictionaries, app caches, or any combination of the above.
On iOS 13 I've noticed that while it still shows a significant amount of "other" data, if you actually tap on the apps using a lot of data it will move that "other" data into the apps category.
It also seems to cache that information, as loading up the storage view again put them in the apps category without having to do anything.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
On iOS 13 I've noticed that while it still shows a significant amount of "other" data, if you actually tap on the apps using a lot of data it will move that "other" data into the apps category.
It also seems to cache that information, as loading up the storage view again put them in the apps category without having to do anything.
That's neat, I'll have to see if I can replicate. Thanks.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
anyone else getting "update not available with this apple-ID" for built in apps since the update?
Everything else updates fine, but built in apps throw that error, and prevent autoupdate on all other apps (have to go through them manually).
Nothings changed with regards to apple-ID for me since I got the phone in February.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
The main reason I use Carrot is because it has the best options and integration for a watch app that I have found. In my experience it updates the most frequently, and is most reliable for weather notifications.
The Carrot app is borderline useless to me. I don't like how it presents data at all, and I agree that its widget is not very good. Well, I like the top half of it. The "forecasts" are worthless.

Weather Line was the best app for seeing the upcoming conditions for the rest of the day at a glance; but not so good for detail about the current conditions. The subscription fee is too high for what the app actually does - it's very basic.
Since Weather Line doesn't seem to think I was an existing user (I've had that happen with several iOS apps actually) I think I'll be replacing it with Hello Weather from the look of it though. While I'd prefer some options to customize it, I do like that widget.
I don't use an Apple Watch but the HW integration looks decent. Also I actually asked them about it and looks like some customization will be coming for the widget. The only major thing I want changed is some better forecast view. Like if it's night time and you look at the widget, aside from the text blurb the actual timeline will just show you the next x hours so you'll get the weather until say 4am instead of more reasonable hours.

I actually like Weather Line 2 and would have gone for the discounted subscription, but the app & widget are so slow to refresh for some reason. Not like I need weather info within a second or something will happen, but it's just weird that when I go to the widget page, it takes like 5 seconds to refresh instead of the ~1 that others do.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
anyone else getting "update not available with this apple-ID" for built in apps since the update?
Everything else updates fine, but built in apps throw that error, and prevent autoupdate on all other apps (have to go through them manually).
Nothings changed with regards to apple-ID for me since I got the phone in February.
That usually happens when the installed apps were originally downloaded under a different Apple ID. Try download them again with your current/(correct) ID?

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
TV OS 13 seems pretty good so far but there's one issue I keep having. If I'm in an app, go back to the home screen and start scrolling through the apps, there's a bright white flash. It only happens once, but it's always the same story. Open app, go back home, start to go through icons, and bright white flash. Anybody else with this issue?

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
That usually happens when the installed apps were originally downloaded under a different Apple ID. Try download them again with your current/(correct) ID?
that's the thing, I haven't changed my ID, and these are the built-in apps, like Keynote, and Clips and so on.
I'll just remove them all then, see if that fixes anything.