• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
Yeah, no go. Even within settings my swipe left and right options, I've got: none / mark as read / flag / move message.

In mail, inside gmail inbox, when I swipe: move / more / flag / archive. Outlook outbox: same gmail options, but trash instead of archive. This is pretty annoying. Might just end up installing gmail.
Found it. Go to Accounts and Passwords > Gmail > Accounts > Advanced then change move discarded messages to deleted mailbox.

"It just works."

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
iOS 13 has ended up being super buggy for me on my X. It started off fine but the past day or two is been super rough.

Control Center won't even work for me, my phone won't wake on a touch of the screen, tapping the top of safari won't scroll up, just tons of little things that are driving me batty.

Souzetsu

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
California
I've ran into two situations where my iPhone 11 Pro Max on iOS 13.1 locks up and either springboard or the whole phone restarts. One was when I was trying to use Lyft and the app kept crashing, the other was when the Borderlands 3 website kept reloading in Safari. Really annoying.

Oct 27, 2017
In case you haven't seen the options yet:

d8tZpor.png

...I don't know whether the Leo Dicaprio Django gif or the Gatsby gif is more appropriate right now lol

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I've been hearing the mail app is completely buggy. I rely on that and the calendar app a lot. C|NET is saying several more patches to come before the year is out. Think I'll stick with iOS 12 for now.

empyrean2k

Oct 27, 2017
Car play still doesn't work 100% of the time for me. If I play something hit pause there is a good chance that the audio is then muted but CarPlay still thinks it's playing. I have to pause and unpause about 5 or 6 times for it to start emitting Noise again.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
My Spotify beta was just updated for Siri support. Looks like this is one of the few times there was actually a change log of a feature.

Feb 26, 2019
Is it just me or has the trash icon moved in the mail app? I have accidentally trashed multiple emails and had to go fishing for them in the trash folder. Going to take some getting used to

Dec 23, 2017
Ok let's talk battery saving options. Watched a video that said leave all your apps up and don't close them and reopen them. Don't put a timer on your phone to auto-lock. What do you guys do to preserve battery life? Any tips and tricks that ACTUALLY work?

Oct 27, 2017
Newnan, GA
I've been hearing the mail app is completely buggy. I rely on that and the calendar app a lot. C|NET is saying several more patches to come before the year is out. Think I'll stick with iOS 12 for now.
I've been having a LOT of problems with the mail app on 13.1 on both my X and 11 Pro. Push messages don't seem to work consistently. I also have times where I'm told I got a new email, check the app and it's not there, force quit the app, wait a couple minutes, and then relaunch and hope they appear.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Ok let's talk battery saving options. Watched a video that said leave all your apps up and don't close them and reopen them.
I've seen two or three videos saying that and I was really surprised. So now I have 16 to 20 apps open. And I can say that I haven't noticed a power drain.

I also keep my battery charged between 40 and 80%. I'm still on 12.4.1. I've heard a few people who have upgraded to 13 that they are experiencing more battery drain than usual.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen two or three videos saying that and I was really surprised
I assume the logic behind it is that the phone has to put less effort into "launching" the game when it's in a suspend state. If you force close the app it has to go through the full start up process.

The only time I ever force close is if I have a problem or, for example, when I've been using Waze and it doesn't stop using location services even when I'm done with it.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Ok let's talk battery saving options. Watched a video that said leave all your apps up and don't close them and reopen them. Don't put a timer on your phone to auto-lock. What do you guys do to preserve battery life? Any tips and tricks that ACTUALLY work?
For the vast majority of people, screen brightness, graphics use and the antenna pushing to keep a weak signal will make the biggest difference. Beyond that check your battery use and see if anything stands out about an app you believe is using a bigger portion of battery compared to your relative use. Some crossover with checking to see if there are any apps with location services on all the time that you don't need. If you know you're gonna have a longer day than usual just use low power mode. Min/maxing has never made sense to me for the average person.

gamma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
13.1.1 is out

- Fixes issues that could prevent iPhone restoring from backup
- Addresses an issue that could cause battery to drain more quickly
- Fixes an issue that could impact recognition of Siri requests on iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max
- Resolves a problem where Safari search suggestions may re-enable after turning them off
- Addresses an issue that could cause Reminders to sync slowly
- Fixes a security issue for third-party keyboard apps

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I've been having a LOT of problems with the mail app on 13.1 on both my X and 11 Pro. Push messages don't seem to work consistently. I also have times where I'm told I got a new email, check the app and it's not there, force quit the app, wait a couple minutes, and then relaunch and hope they appear.
I was looking through the Apple Help Twitter page. The majority seem to have some issue with mail, along with problems with other apps.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
You folk that are having issues with the mail app, are you using it with external services? Curious as I only have an iCloud mail account on my phone and it's all working fine (push notifications too).

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You folk that are having issues with the mail app, are you using it with external services? Curious as I only have an iCloud mail account on my phone and it's all working fine (push notifications too).

I'm having similar issues with the mail app and outlook using the same account - I get notifications of mails ages before they populate the inbox and both of them have emails that preview but don't fully load for about five to fifteen seconds. Extremely bizarre and annoying.

My Ipad browser that does flash - can't remember if opera or dolphin but the one that spoofs a desktop to play flash based movies or games doesn't launch. Just boots and fails.

Also not playing nice with corporate wifi and corporate security apps but that's not ios fault per se.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
13.1 is still tough. Surprised with how this iOS update has rolled out. Now 13.1.1 is out. Three updates in about 2 weeks isn't great.

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm getting pretty frickin annoyed at the mail app showing new messages.. then there being nothing in my inbox.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I assume the logic behind it is that the phone has to put less effort into "launching" the game when it's in a suspend state. If you force close the app it has to go through the full start up process.

The only time I ever force close is if I have a problem or, for example, when I've been using Waze and it doesn't stop using location services even when I'm done with it.
That is exactly what the people in the videos said. Opening, and then force quitting an app , uses more battery power than just leaving the app open. iOS knows to only give an app currently in use resources to function. However, apps that update in the background will also use up battery. BUT you can choose which apps you want to constantly update in setting. Currently I have Weather, Stocks, Google Maps, and the News app running in the background. I also have my Mail app set to Push because I get important emails from clients.

Kyonashi

Oct 24, 2017
UK
Just updated to 13.1, and I've lost the ability to share iCloud Drive folders entirely. I'd read this was removed in 13 but due to be reimplemented in 13.1, did this change?

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Updated my iPhone 8+ to 13.1 before transferring to my new iPhone 11 Pro Max (on 13), and it's a headache as QuickStart hung up because a software update was pushed on the new phone. I postponed it but QuickStart never resumed.
I reset the new phone and QuickStart wouldn't work, while iCloud restore was unavailable because of the version difference (13.1 backup to a 13 device). So I figured I'd download 13.1 on the new device, except it doesn't want to (some can't connect message). So I'm down to using iTunes for Windows to update the new device.

I think 13.1 fucked my particular scenario tbh.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
For the vast majority of people, screen brightness, graphics use and the antenna pushing to keep a weak signal will make the biggest difference. Beyond that check your battery use and see if anything stands out about an app you believe is using a bigger portion of battery compared to your relative use. Some crossover with checking to see if there are any apps with location services on all the time that you don't need. If you know you're gonna have a longer day than usual just use low power mode. Min/maxing has never made sense to me for the average person.

For location services I wonder if it makes any difference if you have 1 or 100 apps using location? Surely the OS would just do a regular location check and then make that single check available to any apps that need it?

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
For location services I wonder if it makes any difference if you have 1 or 100 apps using location? Surely the OS would just do a regular location check and then make that single check available to any apps that need it?
I believe, and don't quote me on it, that generally your location is determined with low power methods that are to some degree passive. Cell towers, BT/Wifi points. If and when you're near a geofence, it could trigger actual GPS tracking. I'd wager that if there's no other ways to determine your location and you have something that needs it, GPS could kick in as needed. But that's pretty rare for anywhere remotely populated.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
No, but some sites do no adhere to it properly or seemingly overrides the functionality (ResetEra among them).

It's not the pages, they do it right. I guess Apple just removed the double tap for sites that are developed with mobile in mind.

It was added to safari on iOS devices to deal with unoptimized websites. And tbh what do you want to zoom into on mobile pages like resetera?

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Have had zero issues with both 13 and 13.1 🤷‍♂️

Also nothing to do with iOS 13 specifically but 🤔 @ testing multiple weather apps. No idea why carrot weather is popular. Can't get a refund either (lol)

EFi1VylXoAIKhnH

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I'm sort of getting the Mail problem. It's fine for fresh emails, I'm receiving them properly. But replies in an email chain/multiple from the same people just don't come up until I manually go in.

latex

Jul 5, 2018
Battery life is noticeably a bit worse, I can't double tap to zoom in Safari anymore, and now my notifications come through when they feel like it.

And this is on my XS Max, I love dark mode but I should have just stuck with iOS 12.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
I just don't need my weather app to be entertaining lol. I also didn't like the widget that much, and also don't like that some features are extra IAP (like changing data sources)
It has uh, personality settings.

Other reasons are valid, but I for one adore Carrot, it's functionality and the support it's gotten over time.

Soybean

Nov 12, 2017
I don't understand how Apple does software development. Mail had very minor feature additions. How is it that something basic like displaying or retrieving email is completely broken? Why was that code even touched?!

LordDraven

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Just received an iPhone XR. How do I completely get rid of having to use Face ID or a passcode? I just want to pickup my phone and never have to do all that stuff

Also, every time I plug it in to my computer it keeps asking me on the phone to trust this device. Why do I have to keep saying yes to trust every time it's plugged in to my computer? Windows 10

ara

Oct 26, 2017
13.1.1 definitely helped with my 8's battery life, seems like it's back to normal. Took it off the charger about 20 hours ago, now I'm at ~40% with a bit less than 4 hours of SOT. This thing is definitely holding up surprisingly well for being a 2-year old phone, never had one that's aged this well before.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Also, every time I plug it in to my computer it keeps asking me on the phone to trust this device. Why do I have to keep saying yes to trust every time it's plugged in to my computer? Windows 10
Sadly I don't think this is possible without iTunes installed. If you have it installed it will remember but otherwise I think it asks every time. It does for me on multiple Windows 10 PCs anyway.

Also for the first point, Face ID & Passcode in the settings I guess.