• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
If it were such a minor thing why did people review bomb the game into oblivion about it once the devs suggested they'd just change the text on it?

Imagine having nothing to fight for in life but keeping a bottle of OGAY in a videogame. That's the extent of the struggle of the average straight cis white male. The only thing keeping me apart from my bigoted peers is decency and a modicum of intelligence.

Vesker

Dec 25, 2018
I read everything now. That dev was a fucking asshole, he said some very fucked up shit.
That being said, I don't agree with ruining the careers of the whole dev team because of one stupid individual making awful statements.
Now, I know what the replies will be.
"Then why didn't they remove it?"
After the initial shitstorm, they were willing to remove it, but then came another shitstorm from the other side, the "muh censorship", "GG" side.
What should you do in that situation? Knowing that, unfortunately, the majority of your fanbase is from the "muh censorship" side?
You cave to your fanbase, the people that bought your game, business-wise its what makes sense.
It's a no win situation, really, and I feel very bad for all the other devs that had nothing to do with those foul comments made by another dev.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I read everything now. That dev was a fucking asshole, he said some very fucked up shit.
That being said, I don't agree with ruining the careers of the whole dev team because of one stupid individual making awful statements.
After the initial shitstorm, they were willing to remove it, but then came another shitstorm from the other side, the "muh censorship", "GG" side.
What should you do in that situation? Knowing that, unfortunately, the majority of your fanbase is from the "muh censorship" side?
You cave to your fanbase, the people that bought your game, business-wise its what makes sense.
It's a no win situation, really, and I feel very bad for all the other devs that had nothing to do with those foul comments made by another dev.
It's not like we're talking about a giant dev team, pretty sure it's less than 10 people. And one of the main people saying all this gross shit is the lead/director of the game. If these other devs had a problem with the horrible shit this asshole says and thinks, I don't think they would still be working there, I know I wouldn't, it's a small indie team they're most certainly not making bank. It was multiple devs, and the project lead, on a small team. They're all complicit imo.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
That terminx guy sounds like the kind of privileged asshole to whom the greatest outrage of all is someone telling him what to do. He doesn't give a shit about marginalized groups and couldn't spare even two seconds to try and empathize with them. Instead, it's about the meanies on the internet telling him what to do and it probably pisses him off to no end. Thus the U-turn on the apology. At the end of the day, what's most important to him is that he doesn't have to listen to anyone else. Makes it easy to call something like this censorship when you think that you should never listen to anyone else, ever.

That's my read on this, anyway.

Vesker

Dec 25, 2018
It's not like we're talking about a giant dev team, pretty sure it's less than 10 people. And one of the main people saying all this gross shit is the lead/director of the game. If these other devs had a problem with the horrible shit this asshole says and thinks, I don't think they would still be working there, I know I wouldn't, it's a small indie team they're most certainly not making bank. It was multiple devs, and the project lead, on a small team. They're all complicit imo.
Stop, you know it doesn't work like that.
I didn't even know it was the director, that's the highest authority there, it changes a lot.
I would suggest him not to do it, but ultimately it's his choice. I wouldn't jeopardize my career, having a semi-stable job with a huge potential for growth, working with 3D Realms, I wouldn't throw it away because of one individual, you suck it up and keep doing what you do, in the end he himself is going to burn.
They're not complicit, you cannot state that, you're being completely dishonest and unfair.
Life is not Black and White, it's a fucking grey shitshow.

That terminx guy sounds like the kind of privileged asshole to whom the greatest outrage of all is someone telling him what to do. He doesn't give a shit.
THIS

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Stop, you know it doesn't work like that.
I didn't even know it was the director, that's the highest authority there, it changes a lot.
I would suggest him not to do it, but ultimately it's his choice. I wouldn't jeopardize my career, having a semi-stable job with a huge potential for growth, working with 3D Realms, I wouldn't throw it away because of one individual, you suck it up and keep doing what you do, in the end he himself is going to burn.
They're not complicit, you cannot state that, you're being completely dishonest and unfair.
Life is not Black and White, it's a fucking grey shitshow.

Two things to note. One is that you're jeopardizing your career by being around a scandal as well. I've known someone who quit on the first day of a job because they were being asked to overlook suspicious things and he didn't want to get involved.

Second, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it clear that this is more than one person going by the Discord? At small sized company, individuals have more sway over the overall culture. If it's below 25 people or so you don't even really benefit that much from hierarchy or departments because everyone knows everyone. If it was just Terminx, how pressured would he feel if even just two people were telling him to chill out?

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
c7e36e1947d02ed10a7d2d1003521079.png

Yeah, they are back to being Overwhelmingly positive on steam.

Funny enough, these people are always the one that start calling people names (special snowflake, whining pos, take it like a man) but when a minority speaks up, they are the first to form an army to review bomb a game like mindless sheeps.

Imagine being that level of pathetic.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Why?

Their official Discord prior to the controversy was a rampant cess pool of these type of views going back months. Where most of them hang out and communicate with people, and is advertised under the 'Contact Us' of their website. There was no effort to moderate or better that environment and a number of them engaged directly with it.

The items were in the game, open and obvious. Why are elements in the game added, signed off and shipped if this is a minority within the team? Why if it is a minority within the team do Voidpoint themselves kick back on removing the homophobic artifact from the game?

This isn't about "one individual" and has never been. It's just the same line trotted out as with the CDPR/GoG bullshit, and is equally as untrue as it was then.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
c7e36e1947d02ed10a7d2d1003521079.png

Yeah, they are back to being Overwhelmingly positive on steam.

Funny enough, these people are always the one that start calling people names (special snowflake, whining pos, take it like a man) but when a minority speaks up, they are the first to form an army to review bomb a game like mindless sheeps.

Imagine being that level of pathetic.

It's Overwhelmingly Positive because it's only counting reviews from the 15-18th at the moment (maybe you personally knew this but just making sure it's clear for the thread).

Looks like reviews from today are still being considered as in the 'off-topic review activity' period. I wonder when it'll close out and be back to normal.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Wow, so now Steam moderation decides to step in? How very noble.

What a crock of shit. I hope the devs responsible at Voidpoint get what's coming to them, and I hope those responsible at 3DR can salvage what's left of this sorry situation and deliver on the rest of the apology.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Had a feeling they'd pull some shit like this. The 3DR apology, even though it was a good statement, did smell very PR-ish considering I've been following their discord for a while. The community they've actively cultivated is absolutely gross, and it's not a case of just making a place where they can make announcements and otherwise stay fairly hands-off. A lot of the devs for Voidpoint as well as 3DR staff are extremely active there, and do absolutely nothing to stop this shit and at times even encourage it.

It's a shame, I was really looking forward to the console release but this is gonna be my first game/publisher I've ever boycotted. At least most teams avoid directly interacting with their community too much, but these guys talk to them daily. This whole thing feels so gross

Also the fact that they can just turn around and not follow through on anything with no ramifications means it's not censorship. The fact that they actually used it here makes it even worse and Gamers are gonna pull this shit everytime because it worked here.

Last edited:

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

If this is actually a situation where a dev feels like they're at the "whim of the masses," then the easy answer is to do the right thing. Especially if they've said they have an even better pun to use in the place of one that's using a class of people as the butt of an incidental joke. If this is about the end-result in the game itself, that's win-win.

It's not a hard decision, and an outside group of bigots not liking that you craft your game to not insult part of the population for no other reason than existing shouldn't matter to anyone who doesn't feel that way themselves. Unfortunately, people who matter at this studio have that same blind hatred, and they want to inflict it through their game.

This is not just "one dev thinks it, another disagrees." It's that someone in a leadership position paid others to include slivers of their hatred in the game, in a culture where they actively mock the existence of those people in work communications, and is insisting that they won't change it even when previous, totally reasonable PR claimed it would be changed. It's not unfair for audiences to just say they won't be doing business or looking for entertainment from that group. That's not "punishment."

Jun 17, 2018
Why have homphobic and transphobic content in the game anyway? It's not funny on any level and with the current political climate it just makes zero sense other than to get people riled up.

I was going to buy this eventually for Switch and even though I'm not a political kind of person, I can't support this kind of shit.

Voidpoint - remove the fucking content. You're only going to hurt your sales in the long run and nobody wants their fan base to be full of alt right assholes. Cheers

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine having nothing to fight for in life but keeping a bottle of OGAY in a videogame. That's the extent of the struggle of the average straight cis white male. The only thing keeping me apart from my bigoted peers is decency and a modicum of intelligence.
I think this video sums up the heart of their problem:

It's one that's deeply rooted in an identity crisis.

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
Never buying a 3D realms or voidpoint game. Will be sure to help spread the word that they support bigotry, homophobia and transphobia which directly included in this game.

Fuck voidgames and their straight white male privileged snowflakes dev members.