• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Any of the other alternatives would have been fine, but they chose to go with the only homophobic version (and then doubled down on it by signalling their support of bigotry). Fuck them, I hope this fails and they go under.
Given the situation, Skub would have been actually a very funny replacement. As it represents the fight surrounding this in a funny way. But ... "ogay" stays :(

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
If they went with Skub, that would've actually been clever. Like, I may not agree with them being complete shitheads, but I'd have to give them points for doing something legitimately interesting.

But nah, they double down on their grade-school pun that's objectively a much worse joke, simply to own the libs or whatever. Bleh.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey 3D Realms, I'd make a hateful joke about you, but I've taken it back, donated to charity, then gone ahead and said it anyways. You useless gits.

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
Absolute garbage fire.

Games industry continues to be shit at saying sorry.

Even when they managed to pull out a somewhat thoughtful, somewhat sincere sounding apology, they pull this manoeuvre.

We're sorry we apologised is a new one.

Glad to see 3DRealms throw their hat in with Voidpoint.Clears the ambiguity so Wrath and any other games they put out can get ignored as well.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look forward to using artistic expression and free speech excuse next time I ship a bug... because apparently listening to any feedback and changing said thing, is censorship?

Also people keep talking about the shampoo bottle, but the "f*g bag" Easter egg is the worst offender

Last edited:

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Goddamn, I want Mega 64 to make a Flame War Theater episode from the last few pages (not counting this one).

The episode would be named "Outlaw Boxing Gym in Tarzana"

Aug 19, 2019
London
Absolutely disgusting and abhorrent. Why isn't this a bigger outrage on this forum? I sincerely hope it's not because users don't want to criticise Steam during a "sensitive" time...

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Absolutely disgusting and abhorrent. Why isn't this a bigger outrage on this forum? I sincerely hope it's not because users don't want to criticise Steam during a "sensitive" time...

There has been plenty of discourse surrounding this issue. Not sure what you'd like valve to do however.

www.resetera.com

Ion Fury devs show signs of transphobia among other issues. [Update: Voidpoint apologizes in statement, see threadmarks]

Last night someone I knew who was following the community response to Ion Maiden's release showed me this image on their official discord server where it shows one of the devs, Mblackwell, using the term SJW derrogitorially and is followed by another dev saying some "SJWs are fucking nuts"...

Aug 19, 2019
London
User banned (3 days): off-topic trolling and derailing over a series of posts in a sensitive thread
What do you suggest?
Honesty. The vitriol leveled towards Epic Games on this forum has been so extreme and heated, I do think there are members self-censoring to do their part in ensuring Valve isn't thrown into another PR nightmare.

Valve should pull the game. Simple as that.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Imagine being the kind of person who gets mad that they took this out of game? The joke isn't only offensive, it's lazy and lame. Also changing a random item in the game world has no tangible impact on the actual game. There's really no hope for humanity.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The thing that gets me about Ogay is that everyone's assuming the worst of that joke. I don't mean that as a criticism of anybody here, I just mean that as an observation. "Gay" has been a neutral term long enough that I imagine a lot of people don't immediately jump to it being a slur - so I don't know if that bottle by itself would be able get a big negative reaction. I don't know how many gay people would find that to be an amusing joke, but it's conceivable that maybe someone could decide to put the word gay into the game for some other reason.

But because of all the circumstances around, no one has to even consider other possibilities because Voidpoint has given off every reason to assure us that we should be assuming the worst of them.

Detourne

Banned
Aug 18, 2019
User Banned (permanent): troll account
qJ8oZDz.jpg

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Ya know...the actual funny thing about this is that youre probably the same person who would scream about the govt coming after violent video games...and yet here you choose to frame violence as more off putting than a random, unfunny, and unnecessary "joke". Self awareness, what is it? lol

EDIT: Oh theyre banned whoops lol

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Obvious trolling aside, it's pretty pathetic how transparent people are when they deflect from a topic by pointing to violence as a boogyman for *other* types of questionable content in games.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
That may be the most whiplash-inducing post history I've seen. I'm really curious as to what's going on.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
Steams review bombing detection is now on and the game is back to +95% rated. A bit late. But I'm not sure if Voidpoints "no cencorship" statement is pureley due to the reviewbombing, more like a wierd attempt at pleasing both sides. Well, the "SJW"-hating crowd seems really happy that they got their soap back..

Whatever... sad that this mess overshadows a great game.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland

Steams review bombing detection is now on and the game is back to +95% rated. A bit late. But I'm not sure if Voidpoints "no cencorship" statement is pureley due to the reviewbombing, more like a wierd attempt at pleasing both sides. Well, the "SJW"-hating crowd seems really happy that they got their soap back..
Oh it now filters those reviews, was wondering few days ago why it hasn't kicked in yet. I strongly dislike review bombing and I'm never in favor of it.

Sylvie

Aug 26, 2019

Whatever... sad that this mess overshadows a great game.
dunno if you caught the other parts of the thread about the transphobic attitude in their discord server too. from devs, no less. sure, people may enjoy the game, but if that comes at the cost of funding that kind of environment, then I'll take my money elsewhere.

Oct 26, 2017
I find it hilarious that the same idiots who review bombed the game for """"censorship"""" also claim to the "true fans" of said game. No awareness.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
That 90s nostalgia!
Oh wait, Duke Nukem 3D was pretty much making fun of sexism and didn't have homophobic content at all.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
dunno if you caught the other parts of the thread about the transphobic attitude in their discord server too. from devs, no less. sure, people may enjoy the game, but if that comes at the cost of funding that kind of environment, then I'll take my money elsewhere.
And that's reasonable. I bought the game after the apology and it's definetly disappointing to see the way they handled it now. But I think it's more an attempt at damage control, considering it's a joint statement from 3drealms and voidpoint, and less about the trans-/homophobia from one or more devs from voidpoint. A very stupid, spineless attempt that misses the point, but still.

I'm just going to ignore stuff from them in the future unless they show some change.