• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Steam should allow full refunds to anyone who bought this trash pile of a game after the apology as well.

Steam's refund policy is extremely generous from what I experienced. They setup these limits but at the end of the day I was never refused a refund, even in games I had some good hours in and had for some weeks.

Oct 25, 2017
It isn't a complicated situation at all lol.

What is complex about this?

I said it was more complicated than that poster's suggestion that it overwrites the entire apology on the basis of one component of the apology being inaccurate. And it is, because those things aren't necessarily mutually exclusive -- were they to not remove the homophobic language hidden outside the level, I think that would make things a bit simpler, but they actually are removing that from the game (*gasp* Censorship. I wonder if the Steam forums know?), and on top of that they are still contributing 10,000 dollars to the Trevor Project *and* they have not disavowed their apology, or the language used in it, sans the bit about editing out the "ogay" texture.

Add on to that a week's worth of being harassed, doxxed, slammed by alt-right trolls in their discord and public-facing forums, there's no doubt a lot of confusion and disagreement going on over at 3DR / Voidpoint. The place is, at the very least, a complete mess right now.

My personal opinion is that they're doing 90% of what I'd like them to do, versus 100% of what I'd like them to do. I think the "ogay" soap is intensely stupid, but it's been the least of the problems this entire time.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is confusing. So is the "unoffensive joke we liked better" being patched into the game? AKA, Ogay being rewritten as something else?

Seems they had another joke for the 'OGAY' sprite but they aren't goma change it because they are against "censorship", because they PR they released implied changing the whole game. (which is bullshit)

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
People make jokes about all kind of sensitive things, but good comedians know how contextualize it properly or what direction to come at the issue from. What should result is a communal relief (if temporary) from everyday oppression through humor.

But these dime-a-dozen internet funny guys think that every lazy attempt they make at easy targets *has* to be validated or respected or it's censorship.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. How much of a coward do you have to be to apologize for your previous apology all cause some kids got pissy at you for doing the right thing. I'll happily continue to never pay attention to anything these clowns are involved with ever again.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
What are the big console makers stances on this going to be? Surely Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo won't allow a game to be published on their platform with words like that being used in childish jokes.

Saying you stand by this shit is just saying you are ok with the harassment and demeaning of LGBT people everywhere. I will be incredibly sad if the Big 3 allow this filth to be published on their platforms at all at this point, change or not.

Steam should allow full refunds to anyone who bought this trash pile of a game after the apology as well.

Steam needs to delist this garbage.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
One of their latest tweets seems to imply that the studio wrote an apology, but the pub/pr firm added to it.
Regardless, its such an unusual situation and its hard to fathom a studio being this brazen

I wonder if 3D Realms will work with them again. It would be sad if this one idiot is just torpedoing the whole studio's future.

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is like the worst way to handle this. At least if they initially announced that they weren't going to remove the content I would at least respect them for sticking to their guns. Now they look both homophobic and cowards.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm against censorship so that's great news

"I want gay people to be ridiculed and accept that this is their natural role in society so that I'm able to say whatever I want".

Just clarified that for you, since you don't seem able to express yourself quite as you feel.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Man, congratulations for the Gamescom 2020 Best Game Company Award, they really worked hard for it with this.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Voidpoint. Glad I didn't buy this game yet. I was rooting for them regarding the Iron Maiden thing, but they can get totally fucked now.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
So this is actually the single most harmful thing they've done.

Legitimising an alt-right harassment campaign will ensure that this keeps happening.

There's little doubt that the people behind this game are either complete fucking idiots or actively malicious now.

Oct 25, 2017
75346753-84a7-43b3-b8jkv3.jpeg

🙄

Holy shit.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
That's a big nope from me.
Why didn't they go with ORLY instead?
Right, they're assholes.

Snowybreak

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus fucking Christ. Well, now I wonder if they're gonna spin the whole donation as something they were "forced to do."

JaxiPup

Dec 23, 2017
Massachusetts
Seems they had another joke for the 'OGAY' sprite but they aren't goma change it because they are against "censorship", because they PR they released implied changing the whole game. (which is bullshit)
It feels almost, gaslighty? Like, we all saw the apology; it read like 'oh yeah, we'll remove the shitty stuff', but that turned into pinning blame on the PR firm, for allegedly claiming they'll censor the whole game somehow? It doesn't feel congruent with the issue in the first place.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Cramoss isn't coming back. Shitty drive-by posts are all he does.
Completely off-topic and unrelated but it baffles me this kind of people still run rampant on this forums because "they have done nothing wrong" while I've been banned twice for defending the Epic Games Store, smh (although I did make jokes at the expense of other users, and the bans were justified, but still is nowhere near the levels of clear trolling I still see here, specially in this kinds of topics).

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I went out of my way to celebrate the statement made originally alongside the mea culpa about the slurs. I thought that response was responsible, and seemed like a sincere gesture, and still spelled out their intent for open creativity in their work.

In light of this new...well, assertion of how important bigotry in their work is, I don't see myself giving a penny to either this dev or the publisher ever again. And I've gotta say, that's terrible considering how amazing Wrath looks, and that's not even the same team. The publisher's support for this poison trickles down.

Oct 25, 2017
It feels almost, gaslighty? Like, we all saw the apology; it read like 'oh yeah, we'll remove the shitty stuff', but that turned into pinning blame on the PR firm, for allegedly claiming they'll censor the whole game somehow? It doesn't feel congruent with the issue in the first place.

I agree with that. Though, it is ridiculous how many people really did think they were coming to censor the whole game -- the amount of disinformation campaigns I saw over the last week were pretty incredible, and exclusively orchestrated by alt-right to capture the attention of the 'normies.'

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I said it was more complicated than that poster's suggestion that it overwrites the entire apology on the basis of one component of the apology being inaccurate. And it is, because those things aren't necessarily mutually exclusive -- were they to not remove the homophobic language hidden outside the level, I think that would make things a bit simpler, but they actually are removing that from the game (*gasp* Censorship. I wonder if the Steam forums know?), and on top of that they are still contributing 10,000 dollars to the Trevor Project *and* they have not disavowed their apology, or the language used in it, sans the bit about editing out the "ogay" texture.

Add on to that a week's worth of being harassed, doxxed, slammed by alt-right trolls in their discord and public-facing forums, there's no doubt a lot of confusion and disagreement going on over at 3DR / Voidpoint. The place is, at the very least, a complete mess right now.

My personal opinion is that they're doing 90% of what I'd like them to do, versus 100% of what I'd like them to do. I think the "ogay" soap is intensely stupid, but it's been the least of the problems this entire time.

You've made it more complex than it is yes. The original poster is correct. Their responses have been the equivalent of "we're sorry BUT". The statement that they have put out wipes out any good will they have earned because why the fuck should anyone trust them?

All the fallout from the handling of the situation, that doesn't make this complex. They have earned no good will. They dont deserve the benefit of the doubt. This statement they put out, it plainly says where they stand.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
What an idiotic hill to die on. Sad to see after they had a great apology and effort with the donation as a response.

They should just admit they caved to the alt-right assholes who have been riled up by Youtubers who make a grift off directing the next outrage about 'teh SJWsss!!'. Era wasn't even aware of the in-game stuff when the thread was made, people were angry about the comments on discord which were apologized for and I don't see that being undone in this statement.

So weird to have that apology out there then come out with this saying 'oh yeah we're leaving our OGAY soap in because its hella funny! GAY PEOPLE AMIRITE!'

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Completely off-topic and unrelated but it baffles me this kind of people still run rampant on this forums because "they have done nothing wrong" while I've been banned twice for defending the Epic Games Store, smh (although I did make jokes at the expense of other users, and the bans were justified, but still is nowhere near the levels of clear trolling I still see here, specially in this kinds of topics).
Part of that is the difficulty to detect them; people who don't want bans will take efforts to skirt them.

I personally don't really like reporting people and rarely remember to even when I know I probably should, so I suppose it's possible that there are some that go underreported.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And it's easy to pick out these people when they've had accounts since day one yet low-post counts. There are so many instances of these guys roaming around to just drive by troll or throw their alt-right bullshit around. Some people get upset when you call people out on low-post counts but fuck that. It's a trend and I'll speak up if an alt-right douche bag is spouting shit.

Mothballs

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
An account established 9 days ago, previously defending Trump, THQN, Kingdom Come Deliverance and now Ion Fury? I'm sure this argument is in good faith.

Excuse me? So what is your arbitrary sign up date where my comments become valid in your eyes? And besides, nothing I said there was incorrect. If you're gonna be a disingenuous weirdo and cherry pick things I've supposedly "defended" why don't you link each message and we can discuss them. As it stands you have just a bunch of shit with no context as a way to try and slander me. Fuck outta here with that.

grunkleFungus

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
NC, US

Hey shit-for-brains, I'm at a higher support level than you and you deserve all of this. You love, love, love worshipping non-disabled people because you think you're inferior for your brain, and will immediately defend them when they hurl abuse at us "retards". You're the ableist piece of shit here, and I wish you only the bad things in life so for once, you'll have to face some actual hardship. Eat shit asshole, fall off your horse.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I'm sure it's been mentioned so far but the fact that this is framed as being outrage in relation to the "Ogay" item rather than the rest of the garbage that went down is kind of frustrating.

I don't think anyone in the original thread thought the Ogay texture was particularly notably bad in comparison to the rest of the rhetoric in the discord or in the secret room. But since it's the easy target to paint people as angry about nothing, that's what the argument gets framed around. Obnoxious.

And to think I almost bought the game after the initial apology.

JaxiPup

Dec 23, 2017
Massachusetts
I agree with that. Though, it is ridiculous how many people really did think they were coming to censor the whole game -- the amount of disinformation campaigns I saw over the last week were pretty incredible, and exclusively orchestrated by alt-right to capture the attention of the 'normies.'
The alt-right are super quick to stamp a label on something over the tiniest criteria. Remove harmful language? Censorship. Queer representation? Political.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never get why developers are so insistent on doing their own PR, even when they have a publisher with actual professionals at their disposal.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wish moderation but also the community at large would take a harder stance against nonsense like this. I don't see the point in repeatedly warming up a discussion that will only allow bad-faith actors to peddle their bullshit and signalboost alt-right rhetoric. There's already a blanket ban on games with harmful content, I don't understand why we can't have the same for actual developers and publishers.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Trash developers. Trash publishers. Won't be touching this. I was dubious about their apology in the first place, and it seems it was right to be.

Oct 25, 2017
It won't. Valve gives bigots the power to exploit its platform, as they've shown numerous times in the past. This is a consequence of the gaming community's (even this one) refusal to address Steam's toxic customer base.

Reminder, Steam still lists a game by neo-nazis.

Any arguments posted in favor of even the smallest bit of Steam curation are generally immediately derailed by dumb slippery slope straw men.

It sucks, and it sucks that Valve doesn't do more.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Excuse me? So what is your arbitrary sign up date where my comments become valid in your eyes? And besides, nothing I said there was incorrect. If you're gonna be a disingenuous weirdo and cherry pick things I've supposedly "defended" why don't you link each message and we can discuss them. As it stands you have just a bunch of shit with no context as a way to try and slander me. Fuck outta here with that.
Well, now that you're complaining about cherrypicking, I had to look at what your history looks like.

It's weird that you signed up in April and yet you're full of complaints about how you can't say anything here. Why'd you bother then?