• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Oh god, whoever is posting on their Twitter is an idiot. Gotta be Terminx or that other dumb fuck that has an account here.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I like that they call out The Simpsons, as if a show that hit its peak in the 1980's and early '90s making off-color jokes is the same as a brand new video game in 2019 doing the same thing

Even still, when The Simpsons made gay jokes it was at least trying to satirize homophobes being ridiculous, at least in the most well known example (Smithers is another thing entirely). Going "Olay but... OGAY!!!!" is peurile and barely even qualifies as a joke.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I think the narrative people on twitter are painting that anyone who complained about this had no interest in the game at all and that they, the ones who reviewed bombed the game, are the ones who actually care is super alarming.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
One of their latest tweets seems to imply that the studio wrote an apology, but the pub/pr firm added to it.
Regardless, its such an unusual situation and its hard to fathom a studio being this brazen
Given the other comments from the devs about how "Fagbags" isn't hate speech, and there was never hate speech in their game, I'd question how good their original apology was and there was probably a reason the PR firm changed it.

Oct 25, 2017
What a shame, I love old school shooters like this one(the DOOM games are some of my favorite games of all time), they will just not get the money.

Oct 25, 2017
One of their latest tweets seems to imply that the studio wrote an apology, but the pub/pr firm added to it.
Regardless, its such an unusual situation and its hard to fathom a studio being this brazen

They did apologize. And it came from Terminx (Richard Gobeille) and Evan Ramos. Both developers at Voidpoint, and 3DR also behind them.

Richard Gobeille and Evan Ramos said:
Members of Voidpoint's Ion Fury team have made sexist and transphobic comments, and included homophobic language in Ion Fury. We recognise these statements are insensitive, unacceptable, and counterproductive to causes of equality. We unequivocally apologise both for these comments and language as well as for any pain they have caused the gaming community, particularly women and members of the LGBTQ community. We take full responsibility for any damage that has been done to the relationships we've worked so hard to build.

Also, they haven't retracted their apology. They did say that they regret their initial decision to change the texture, but have not said that they regret their initial apology.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the narrative people on twitter are painting that anyone who complained about this had no interest in the game at all and that they, the ones who reviewed bombed the game, are the ones who actually care is super alarming.
That's nothing new. It's even used here to shut down criticism when it pretains to issues the person would rather not think about such as female character designs.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Considering I haven't even heard of this game until this thread I think it's obvious why they've gone this route. Grab some headlines and go after simpletons who will throw their money at something to "own the libs" or whatever.

So yeah, fuck these goons. It isn't about "censorship." It's about erasing hate.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

They did apologize. And it came from Terminx (Richard Gobeille) and Evan Ramos. Both developers at Voidpoint, and 3DR also behind them.

Also, they haven't retracted their apology. They did say that they regret their initial decision to change the texture, but have not said that they regret their initial apology.
Hmm none of this matters when this action wipes out their apology

grunkleFungus

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
NC, US
Well at least they're not walking back the donation.

"We are absolutely still donating. "

"We've actually had some people pissed off about that. How do you get mad at someone donating to a suicide prevention hotline? It's a great cause. "

I don't trust a single word they say until they pony up multiple receipts and have a 3rd party verify they're legit.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Which is now utterly pointless given their knee bending to Alt-Righters.

Now it seems the 'sensitive training' was also bullshit.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
That's not unusual, it's been used against women in gaming for years, that we waren't "real" gamers, and were never going to play the game but just want to ruin guys things.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Edited down my post.

I am a 90's gamer and love the 3D Realms' classics. But just because we are nostalgic for the gameplay/design elements and that era, doesn't mean we can't also see the need for certain things to change.

I can enjoy a piece of content/media from that era even if it would be deemed insensible now (to some degree). But this doesn't mean we should be using nostalgia as a vehicle or excuse to create hateful or hurtful narratives in new media.

Ion Maiden is a throwback, but it is still new media. A new release.

The Olay joke is stupid, agreed. But harmless? Maybe in isolation. But not given the context created by everything surrounding 3D Realms and the developer. Not at all. This is not harmless. This is hateful.

Last edited:

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
That's not unusual, it's been used against women in gaming for years, that we waren't "real" gamers, and were never going to play the game but just want to ruin guys things.

Yeah, I think I worded my post as if I was surprised. I'm not. It's just super messed up. And it's always the same people. Always.

It's very tiring.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
They say they are. I'll believe it once they actually do.
Thanks

Also:

If we're talking Simpsons episodes that were made ten years ago, sure. But they're still making Simpsons episodes now. We can expect them to not do dumb shit now. (Also, The Simpsons is probably pretty low in the problematic '90s television scale, considering their having an episode dedicated to homophobia.)

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking trashy ass bigoted straight developers. Fuck them.

Getting rid of homophobic content is censoring themselves? They deserve to lose money from this. This industry has a real fucking problem.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
What do people mean when they say censorship? I'm getting tired of that word

A lot of people want "free speech" to come with the additional "that no one can criticize" clause. Which is hilariously hypocritical when you see their arguments against anything that includes, say, a female main character.

Also a lot of gamers seem to have it in their heads that self-censoring a video game is a slippery slope to China censoring Winnie the Pooh-style totalitarianism.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Limitations on hate speech is a nightmare scenario for bigots and racists.

The word "censorship" carries sinister connotations that I just don't think apply here. You can make edits to your work for a variety of reasons, and often it's part of the process. In this case it's clearly quite up to them whether to include the soap or not, seeing as how they removed it and added it on their own.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are the big console makers stances on this going to be? Surely Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo won't allow a game to be published on their platform with words like that being used in childish jokes.

Saying you stand by this shit is just saying you are ok with the harassment and demeaning of LGBT people everywhere. I will be incredibly sad if the Big 3 allow this filth to be published on their platforms at all at this point, change or not.

Steam should allow full refunds to anyone who bought this trash pile of a game after the apology as well.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
This is confusing. So is the "unoffensive joke we liked better" being patched into the game? AKA, Ogay being rewritten as something else?
It is confusing. I don't believe so, I think they're saying that because of that line from the PR agency they had to take a hard-line stance against censorship and thus must keep the OGAY bottle in.

Which doesn't make much sense as-is to me, but I believe that's the gist.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm against censorship so that's great news
But no one was censoring the game... The game isn't censored and ain't gonna be, people just wanted things to change, that decision is to be made by the creators. Actual censorship happens when this is forced upon it. Hope you learned something today.

This is actually really scary to see it spreading so massively on Twitter right now. I'm like "dude, I actually thought the game was really cool and was interested in it, and I'm from the so-called "woke crowd", I'm missing something?".

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
The word "censorship" carries sinister connotations that I just don't think apply here. You can make edits to your work for a variety of reasons, and often it's part of the process. In this case it's clearly quite up to them whether to include the soap or not, seeing as how they removed it and added it on their own.

I am in agreement with this. They could have changed it on their own with no impact on the final product, instead they are willfully choosing to leave it homophobic. To me that speaks volumes.

boy power

Banned
Jul 29, 2019
The absolute worst thing about this is is that it seems that the alt-right scum are monetarily a good audience to pander to. I really don't want to live in this timeline, no I do not...

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But no one was censoring the game... The game isn't censored and ain't gonna be, people just wanted things to change, that decision is to be made by the creators. Actual censorship happens when this is forced upon it. Hope you learned something today.

Doubtful. That dude has clearly shitty intentions with his comment.

Simon21

Apr 25, 2018
Play Nifflas's Knytt games everyone. They're fantastic and it will cost you almost no money.