• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In what way do you think its fine? Its not that he's not into fps. Its that he doesnt know what he's talking about. He doesnt know how good stuff looks like or how bad stuff looks like.

Review's are buyers guides. This guy is not qualified to guide a consumer towards a purchase.
A review isn't a buyer's guide. It's just a critic's opinion of a product. In this case the review is even just headlined as "Wot I Think".

I think the review at the very least does a pretty good job showing that the game possibly does a bad job onboarding players who are new to older FPS games like it.

Last edited:

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
A review isn't a buyer's guide. It's just a critic's opinion of a product. In this case the review is even just headlined as "Wot I Think".

A review by definition is a buyers guide. It's the sole reason for it's existence. Game journos are not critics. They never were. They don't critique anything. They play a game and inform the potential buyers on what they might get and how much they might like something. This guy's piece serves no one. He's not giving a secondary opinion or anything. He literally has no idea about what he's doing.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A review by definition is a buyers guide
BpFHqNx.png

Nope.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
A review by definition is a buyers guide. Its the sole reason for its existence. Game journos are not critics. They never were. They dont critique anything. They play a game and informs the potential buyers on what they might get and how much they might like something. This guy's piece serves no one. Hes not giving a secondary opinion or anything. He literally has no idea about what hes doing.
Isn't that kind of useful to people who are like the reviewer though? Not every review needs to be for the hardcore fans who already know they're going to like the game. Sometimes getting an outsider to review it is useful because that way people who are also outsiders to the style can make a better judgement on whether they think they might like it than from someone just gushing over the game endlessly.

I'd quite happily read a website comprised of fighting game reviews by someone who doesn't usually get on with fighting games for example.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Isn't that kind of useful to people who are like the reviewer though? Not every review needs to be for the hardcore fans who already know they're going to like the game. Sometimes getting an outsider to review it is useful because that way people who are also outsiders to the style can make a better judgement on whether they think they might like it than from someone just gushing over the game endlessly.

I'd quite happily read a website comprised of fighting game reviews by someone who doesn't usually get on with fighting games for example.

I dont think so. Actually the hardest of fans have the most insight into how a good game looks like and what elements are important or less important. I mean, i think guys that have the biggest knowledge in a given subject are the guys capable of telling you about said product.

A guy not having idea about what he's talking about may be something to read on the side and maybe chuckle a bit. But now having it be the review article

Dec 6, 2017
US
Ah shit, I totally missed that PS4 is "coming later" and was gearing up to dive in this weekend! Arrgghhhh...

Level design comments and the ability to 'get lost' are arousing me just slightly.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Ah shit, I totally missed that PS4 is "coming later" and was gearing up to dive in this weekend! Arrgghhhh...

Level design comments and the ability to 'get lost' are arousing me just slightly.

After i watched a video review played on the hard difficulty equivalent i cant imagine this being playable on a controller. Enemies in open spaces, firing from every direction, above you, below you. Play it on pc

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
you need to stop with the rigid dictionary definitions. And even then, game journos are not judging the merits of art, lol. they play a game then write what happened. And you read it and decide if you wanna spend money or not.

A: "You're wrong"

B: "No, I'm right, and here's proof"

A: "Don't use proof on me!"

That's you. You're A in this example. Don't be A, it's not a good look.

(PS: That is 100% what a critic is. People who review video games are video game critics.)

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The piece is fine, you just can't deal with the fact that not everyone is you.

The piece literally says that the exploration goes beyond enjoying the level design and instead feels punished by it.

As someone who grew up with games that reveled in this mechanism, there's a difference between ones where clever design makes it part of the gameplay to work out the design cues to lead you where to go, and ones where getting lost appears to be the game's MO.

The review acknowledges that it achieves what it sets out to, and that there is an audience for that, it's just not for them. I'm not sure what else you expect the guy to say.

Not all reviews are going to be by people who are the intended audience. Such gatekeeping isn't helping anyone. As someone who grew up with this generation of games, I love it, but we will have entire generations of people who did not now.

Instead of whining about how they're wrong, point to your own great content on DF Retro which covers why old school design was more (mostly) then "lol let's get people lost".

As you're a content creator, and someone who has rightly been hurt by people who flippantly criticize your work, I'd have expected better than this from you.
I think my critique of his critique is perfectly fair, though. How is this gate-keeping? I hate that kind of attitude and that's not at all what I was thinking.

My issue with that review is the tone - it's way too snarky for its good. It's designed to annoy people not give an honest assessment. He's not breaking down why he didn't like it. I absolutely believe that this isn't for everyone and never felt it would be but that's not what I'm complaining about. It does nobody good to take that tone and, honestly, it puts projects like this at risk. I'd love to hear a proper assessment from someone that isn't into these sorts of games but that is NOT it.

It's extremely uncommon for me to critique another's review - I typically don't like to engage in that but here, I feel it's warranted. I'd be happy to talk about my videos in this way and I'm happy to discuss with those that take the time to write their thoughts. I did not flippantly criticize their work - I carefully thought that through. It has the potential to be a good piece but I feel it's really not well written.

It's really poor form and very unprofessional for one game critic to publicly talk shit about another one imo, especially in an age where many people online will latch on to any excuse to harrass a critic who didn't like their fave. You like the old-school design, he didn't. And as you yourself insinuate, there are probably a lot of people who simply won't gel with this type of game, and they may find the review useful.
Really? I think that's really unfair to say, honestly, but that's your opinion. You've successfully made me feel like complete shit now.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I think my critique of his critique is perfectly fair, though. How is this gate-keeping? I hate that kind of attitude and that's not at all what I was thinking.

My issue with that review is the tone - it's way too snarky for its good. It's designed to annoy people not give an honest assessment. He's not breaking down why he didn't like it. I absolutely believe that this isn't for everyone and never felt it would be but that's not what I'm complaining about. It does nobody good to take that tone and, honestly, it puts projects like this at risk. I'd love to hear a proper assessment from someone that isn't into these sorts of games but that is NOT it.

It's extremely uncommon for me to critique another's review - I typically don't like to engage in that but here, I feel it's warranted. I'd be happy to talk about my videos in this way and I'm happy to discuss with those that take the time to write their thoughts. I did not flippantly criticize their work - I carefully thought that through. It has the potential to be a good piece but I feel it's really not well written.

Really? I think that's really unfair to say, honestly, but that's your opinion. You've successfully made me feel like complete shit now.
If you think it's warranted to call someone else's review awful and whining, don't be shocked if people treat your content in the same way.

It's disrespectful language and something I have came out to defend you against, because I do not think that level of vitriol and attempt to dismiss someone you disagree with is fair.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but if you feel that way, you should have considered how what you said about the RPS writer could make them feel. Would you want to engage with me in good faith if I started out by saying I found your video awful?

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If you think it's warranted to call someone else's review awful and whining, don't be shocked if people treat your content in the same way.

It's disrespectful language and something I have came out to defend you against, because I do not think that level of vitriol and attempt to dismiss someone you disagree with is fair.
I can see your point but...I really don't feel that's what I was trying to do. I just wanted to talk about it. I didn't intend to insult them or anything.

That's fine, though. I hate myself too. It's been a tough year for me and I have no reason to bring misery to anyone else. Clearly I was in the wrong to critique that review - I genuinely didn't intend what you seem to have read which makes me question everything. I guess I have no choice but to disappear for a while. Interacting here isn't healthy for someone in such a poor state as myself.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I'm not sure people have quite thought through this idea that critics should be shielded from criticism.

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
And there is no hint of toxicity in said criticism as well. But back to the topic of the game itself I'm really looking forward to seeing all the video game references that have been placed by the devs. Already spotted references to Unreal and Half-Life in some of the video reviews posted!

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I find it funny (and sad) that everyone else can criticize / talk shit about the RPS review, but Dark1x gets piled on for voicing his criticisms.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure people have quite thought through this idea that critics should be shielded from criticism.

Critics should never critique other critics, lest the power of their words spawn a legion of trolls from the dankest recesses of the cyber abyss to assail the target of their ire.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
How sad, how the toxicity took over this thread. Especially how much flag John is getting. If criticism is well grounded where is the issue, I do not get it.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I can see your point but...I really don't feel that's what I was trying to do. I just wanted to talk about it. I didn't intend to insult them or anything.

That's fine, though. I hate myself too. It's been a tough year for me and I have no reason to bring misery to anyone else. Clearly I was in the wrong to critique that review - I genuinely didn't intend what you seem to have read which makes me question everything. I guess I have no choice but to disappear for a while. Interacting here isn't healthy for someone in such a poor state as myself.

Hey, relax man, everything's cool, It's like two posters overreacting. They're random strangers that don't know you, don't give people that kind of power.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017

I once got stuck reviewing a soccer game. I had the Test PS3 and there was no practical way to get it to anyone else more suited to the game. I reviewed it from the perspective of someone who cares, because absolutely nobody reading the article came to hear about my indifference.

There are ways to bring a personal view to a review without making it about the writer. You're absolutely right to call out this review for failing to do it. More, you're on your personal time here at Resetera, rather than writing a Digital Foundry article on bad reviewing practives and kicking this writer in the teeth, so ragging on it with reasonable criticism is fine.

I'll never understand the "I know your work so you have to be that work 24/7, forever." mentality.

Dec 6, 2017
US
After i watched a video review played on the hard difficulty equivalent i cant imagine this being playable on a controller. Enemies in open spaces, firing from every direction, above you, below you. Play it on pc

I don't have a computer of any sort at home but a literally broken-down work desktop :/

In other words, not an option.

What you're saying is logical, but sometimes it isn't that easy.

No I know, just trying to be a bit encouraging instead of just ignoring.

Cat Dad

Oct 25, 2017
On Steam this game is listed as PC/Linux only. Are they no longer putting out a Mac release?

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
The "Overwhelmingly Positive" on Steam pretty much speaks for itself that it is something worth your time. I'm in!! I don't think I've ever actually played a game like though, outside of Doom when I was a kid lol

Worst case scenario though I'm out $21~

Lets do thissss!!!!

P.S. First thing modders should do is change the name back

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Former reviewer here, reviews can be either buyer's guides or critical appraisals. In every medium examples exist of both types of reviews.

They aren't rigidly one or the other. Furthermore, a review from the perspective of 'I haven't played this type of game before' is useful for people that haven't played this type of game before. A review from the perspective of someone who was playing games like this back in 96 is also useful for people who played games like this back in 96.

If you are bothered by any particular approach to game criticism, I'd just advise you don't read that type, and not get hung up on things like metacritic scores or gameranking or whatever.

Personally, I'm excited to play this. I love the idea of a new game with this old technology, and the Digital Foundry coverage sold me on this completely.

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
Sweet, finishing work in half an hours time plus heading out for a a 10k run. After that I'll spend some sweet time with that Lover Boy revolver!*

*no innuendo here, move along :P

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Just bought this, super excited to jump in. Feels like I haven't enjoyed a FPS in ages and this looks right up my alley.

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
The Digital Foundry video sold me on this game. Totally flew under my radar. I heard about the Iron Maiden lawsuit crap but didn't realize this was billed as a 90s shooter. I'm excited to try this out.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Forgot to mention earlier- My Ion Maiden review branch didn't arrive until yesterday so, while there's no official review from me, I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I loved the Early Access levels and the 1.5 areas I've explored in the full game are a lot of fun to blast through. I've always been a big fan of this type of game, where the gunplay gets all the attention but there's plenty of exploring once you've cleared out the horde, and Ion Fury (again, the little I've played) would have stood strong with the best of the 90s.

You'll see in about 30-ish minutes, though. :)

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Huh, they're doing a PS4 version of this as well? I was expecting this to be PC exclusive for the hardcore crowd, but that's nice, I hope it does well on console too when it eventually releases.

I really want this, but my history of playing Duke3D and many other Build games as a teenager on my 90s PC means that I'm pretty solidly feeling on the M&KB spectrum for it, and I don't really have the space for that anymore as all my gaming is done on a sofa these days. I wonder if I could buy a cheap, small keyboard and use a dining tray on my lap or something...

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. It's really sad that some people want to silence any voice that isn't in lock-step with their own. No matter how mild that voice may be.
You don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about. If you think the right to reply and criticise is silencing others, what do you think John's post was?
Your opinion aligns with John's so you support the denigration of another, can you not see that?

Of course not.

I have defended John from people criticising him for such massive transgressions such as getting a fucking resolution wrong. It's petty, and brings nothing to the table.

Going on a rant about how the industry has changed and pinning roundabout blame on a review that epitomises that change isn't bringing anything other to the table than yelling at clouds.

I'll say one thing about the lack of hand holding and remind people that this is a fallacy. For a start, the likes of Duke Nukem 3D didn't tell people in game about stuff like a map because it came with a manual.

Said manuals of the 90's were a work of art in itself and sadly aren't there any more. Games now tell you in game what they used to tell you in print.

Now, TAB has been a map button since ever in my mind, but there's a generation of people who will not know that. In the absence of a paper manual, nothing wrong with telling someone.

The expectation of knowledge with no effort to inform is not a point of positivity and being "old school" isn't a defence.

I once got stuck reviewing a soccer game. I had the Test PS3 and there was no practical way to get it to anyone else more suited to the game. I reviewed it from the perspective of someone who cares, because absolutely nobody reading the article came to hear about my indifference.

There are ways to bring a personal view to a review without making it about the writer. You're absolutely right to call out this review for failing to do it. More, you're on your personal time here at Resetera, rather than writing a Digital Foundry article on bad reviewing practives and kicking this writer in the teeth, so ragging on it with reasonable criticism is fine.

I'll never understand the "I know your work so you have to be that work 24/7, forever." mentality.
Only the writer did actually care enough to describe enemy types, gunplay and each other element of the game. The fact that the map structure stayed with them and soured their experience is valid, but if you stopped reading at the first paragraph, well, more fool you.