• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Here's another one.

Was hyped, was going to buy now fuck this game and this dev and 3DR for barely doing anything about it.

My dollars will go towards Remnant!

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
How is making an fake argument against dumb parenting decisions transphobic? Also, I've googled dog whistle and the meaning I've come across doesn't make sense in your post.

Again, had to look up "strawman" and I don't see how it partains in this instance. Maybe it does but I'm not seeing how his comment came about so I'm not sure how you can call it "strawman"

Again, don't see how saying parents are mentally ill for thinking about a newborns gender transphobic. He hasn't said anything negative about trans people from what I've seen in the OP.
Meant dog whistle in the sense he's exaggerating something that more modern parents(like you, like you said in your post)do, which is not enforce any gender view "girls wear pink, boys blue", to a degree of ridiculousness, to rile people up to a problem that doesn't exist. no parent, or an insane small number, actually does this, to even be a thing to be considered and feared.

Sep 12, 2018
How is making an fake argument against dumb parenting decisions transphobic? Also, I've googled dog whistle and the meaning I've come across doesn't make sense in your post.

Again, had to look up "strawman" and I don't see how it partains in this instance. Maybe it does but I'm not seeing how his comment came about so I'm not sure how you can call it "strawman"

Again, don't see how saying parents are mentally ill for thinking about a newborns gender transphobic. He hasn't said anything negative about trans people from what I've seen in the OP.
It's a straw-man because there's no parents doing such a thing. It's being outraged about somethign that doesn't exist in order to spread fear and misinformation around trans people.

It's the literal definition of transphobia, fear and paranoia around people's gender identities to the extent of spreading outright lies.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can you imagine lurking ResetEra just to get mad at it? Talk about wanting to hate fuck something
It's not really exclusive to the right, Reddit for example has r/forwardsfromhitler, r/gendercynical, r/thebluepill, etc. that are geared towards finding heinous shit people post on the internet.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not really exclusive to the right, Reddit for example has r/forwardsfromhitler, r/gendercynical, r/thebluepill, etc. that are geared towards finding heinous shit people post on the internet.
I think beyond a research/keeping tabs method of things of dangerous people and ideas, it's an unhealthy thing to do.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Here's another one.

Was hyped, was going to buy now fuck this game and this dev and 3DR for barely doing anything about it.

My dollars will go towards Remnant!
What would you expect 3DR to do here?
And how do you know that none of the Remnant devs never said anything shitty? Or a game is good up until the point you learn that someone on the dev team is not a saint?

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
"It was taken out of context and shame on you for witch hunting!"

Can someone tell me in what possible way someone saying "SJW" in a derogatory way and for talking about Transphobia badly could be taken "out of context" positively??

There's literally no reason to use those words in a good way when mocking them. I cannot believe some people are saying that we have taken their words out of context so that they can defend them.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
"It was taken out of context and shame on you for witch hunting!"

Can someone tell me in what possible way someone saying "SJW" in a derogatory way and for talking about Transphobia badly could be taken "out of context" positively??

There's literally no reason to use those words in a good way when mocking them. I cannot believe some people are saying that we have taken their words out of context so that they can defend them.

When you have no defense, you make one up.

PaJeppy

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing transphobic rhetoric, history of severe infractions.
[
It's a straw-man because there's no parents doing such a thing. It's being outraged about somethign that doesn't exist in order to spread fear and misinformation around trans people.

It's the literal definition of transphobia, fear and paranoia around people's gender identities to the extent of spreading outright lies.

I get zero sense of "outrage" from his comment.

He simply said if you do this your mentally ill. I don't even think that's spreading misinformation. It's simply an opinion of his regardless of it being rooted in reality or not.

Not sure how anyone could read that comment and think "oh man, why is everyone acting like this with their newborns"

I understand this stuff is highly sensitive. But because of that I think people will take off the cuff opinions way more seriously than they need to be taken.

The whole dev team does not deserve to be tossed under the bus due to some comments made by a couple of devs. Ones I'm not even sure are as severe as I'm led to believe from the majority of the comments made in this thread.

Call them out specifically, get the higher ups to reprimand this guy, fire him, what ever. But stop trying to shit all over this game and everyone that had a hand at making it.

It's PATHETIC.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
And how do you know that none of the Remnant devs never said anything shitty? Or a game is good up until the point you learn that someone on the dev team is not a saint?
Good question but at least here I know before I make my purchase. I can't support it knowing what I know. Also who knows that 3dr could do but something surely

Sep 12, 2018
[

He simply said if you do this your mentally ill. I don't even think that's spreading misinformation. It's simply an opinion of his regardless of it being rooted in reality or not.

Not sure how anyone could read that comment and think "oh man, why is everyone acting like this with their newborns"

I understand this stuff is highly sensitive. But because of that I think people will take off the cuff opinions way more seriously than they need to be taken.

The whole dev team does not deserve to be tossed under the bus due to some comments made by a couple of devs. Ones I'm not even sure are as severe as I'm led to believe from the majority of the comments made in this thread.

Call them out specifically, get the higher ups to reprimand this guy, fire him, what ever. But stop trying to shit all over this game and everyone that had a hand at making it.

It's PATHETIC.
Why is he even going on about some complete bullshit hypothetical about imaginary parents in the first place? What purpose does it serve?

What's pathetic is trying to downplay and justify bigotry while dictating what people do with their wallet.

Oct 25, 2017
Reading the quotes and seeing "yeah if you're trying to decide your child is trans at birth you have mental problems and probably shouldn't be a parent imo"

Is this actually something parents do? Am I misunderstanding something? Or did he just say something stupid and untrue?

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Parents also decide their children are straight (my personal case) or cis , but i dont see them saying its "mentally ill". Why don't they say that too?

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much of the dev team this is, because while they'd still be shitty, if it's only a small segment I'm at least still supporting people who generally aren't like this. The game is great so far so it's unfortunate my feelings about it will be somewhat tainted if this is any notable portion.

It barely even registers in all the other stuff that's already been covered, but "Battlefield 5 disappointed because SJW's" is such a blatant idiocy signifier. I've seen multiple breakdowns of all the problems that game has that arguably make it worse than earlier releases without the "SJW" stuff even coming up (or being in a positive context); there's a massive amount of more tangible reasons why people have issues with it that come before that.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Reading the quotes and seeing "yeah if you're trying to decide your child is trans at birth you have mental problems and probably shouldn't be a parent imo"

Is this actually something parents do? Am I misunderstanding something? Or did he just say something stupid and untrue?

it's a strawman that's associates "transgender" with "mental illness" by using an invented hyperbolic hypothetical.

Sep 12, 2018

The latter. But remember it's "not transphobic" and "out of context", can't wait for "it was a thought experiment" and "just asking questions" too

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019

It's just them being dumb and reacting to a nonexistent problem because they don't really know what trans people are like and don't care to learn. It's an old talking point that probably has to do with stuff like parents avoiding gendered clothes or whatever for young children so as to not pressure them to confine to standard gender roles.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
What he does know is that the Ion Fury devs are not only shitty but were stupid enough to make their views known on a public forum. The fact that someone else may hold shitty views doesn't change that.

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
[

It's PATHETIC.
Wow, it's like you looked at the discussion, the multiple attempts that were made to clearly explain the issue to you and decided to come out swinging with another strawman about how people are ganging up on the devs. This is truly PATHETIC behavior on your part.

The harm done to trans folk by the spreading of misinformation like this and it's acceptance in large parts of gaming culture is not acceptable and should absolutely be shit all over. It's nice to know though that you don't give a fuck about that and are going straight into defense mode of transphobes. Good going!

ZSeibar

Nov 2, 2017
Well, that's unfortunate :/ I like that game a lot and bought it when it was on early access

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
I think beyond a research/keeping tabs method of things of dangerous people and ideas, it's an unhealthy thing to do.
I agree. I used the example of 4chan and r/thedonald earlier, both communities I do not like but I don't make a habit of lurking them to get mad about what they post. It's not a productive use of my time.

Oct 25, 2017
it's a strawman that's associates "transgender" with "mental illness" by using an invented hyperbolic hypothetical.
The latter. But remember it's "not transphobic" and "out of context", can't wait for "it was a thought experiment" and "just asking questions" too
It's just them being dumb and reacting to a nonexistent problem because they don't really know what trans people are like and don't care to learn. It's an old talking point that probably has to do with stuff like parents avoiding gendered clothes or whatever for young children so as to not pressure them to confine to standard gender roles.
Got it. Thanks

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The whole "It's unfair to the other devs to not buy the game over this" argument is fucking stupid.

There are plenty of great games out there with wonderful people working on them. Most of them do not have people on the dev team stupid enough to act like a bottom-dwelling shitheel in public.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017

Nobody does it. It's a complete fabrication used by rightwing chuds to make recognition of trans rights seem ridiculous and dangerous. Anyone who talks about parents "making" their young children transgender is at best a stupid asshole.

It's PATHETIC.

This thread is bringing to light specific things that specific members of a dev team said in their discord. You're certainly free to downplay or ignore those things and keep playing the game. I won't even call you pathetic for doing so, but your playbook could use a little update.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
[

It's PATHETIC.

Nah, I'm ok shitting on this.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Was initially disappointed by the game's bad mouse controls, and refunded it until it would be fixed.

Now I'm just going to spend that money on a game that deserves it.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
If this doesn't bother you enough to not buy it, that's ok. What's not cool is telling people they're wrong for not buying it because they're rightfully mad.

Respect people's right to not support shitty people.

PaJeppy

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Parents also decide their children are straight (my personal case) or cis , but i dont see them saying its "mentally ill". Why don't they say that too?

Because this is all fairly new to a lot of people. I know these issues have been around for a long time but with the internet and what not it's finally coming to light how big of a thing this really is to individuals.

I agree with you and I'm sure this mindset will change. Maybe not as fast as some would like but it will change.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Jeez. I wonder if it's just some "bad apples" like in the Subnautica devs.

These people will never learn

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The whole "It's unfair to the other devs to not buy the game over this" argument is fucking stupid.

There are plenty of great games out there with wonderful people working on them. Most of them do not have people on the dev team stupid enough to act like a bottom-dwelling shitheel in public.

Weird that "but what about the person that did these graphics or composed that music or etc., why are you punishing them??" never comes up for the trillion other reasons people make purchasing decisions, hey. Like, nobody ever says "why are you punishing Jenny in admin because the gunplay feels bad?" or "Why does Jimmy the janitor have to suffer because you don't like a game's monetisation model?" or "so the developers don't deserve to eat because you have no interest in that genre?", it's only when devs turn out to be bigots that they trot that out.

ZSeibar

Nov 2, 2017
Weird that "but what about the person that did these graphics or composed that music or etc., why are you punishing them??" never comes up for the trillion other reasons people make purchasing decisions, hey. Like, nobody ever says "why are you punishing Jenny in admin because the gunplay feels bad?" or "Why does Jimmy the janitor have to suffer because you don't like a game's monetisation model?" or "so the developers don't deserve to eat because you have no interest in that genre?", it's only when devs turn out to be bigots that they trot that out.

Yep, it's just deflection

Oct 25, 2017
It's a really impotent excuse to say "context" and "non-native." I'm not sure what language barrier or additional context would help make Daedelon's suggestion that trans people are mentally ill less offensive.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nice, classic fascist derogatory and fear-mongering talking points in the discord server of a clickyshooty game. Very appropriate place to discuss such things in the first place!
Love the defenses of this in the thread here, too.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Even without the explicitly sexist and transphobic shit, their apparent fealty to the "good name" of Duke fucking Nukem would have already implicitly communicated their shittiness to us in a way that was at least amusing. This is just sad.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
If this doesn't bother you enough to not buy it, that's ok. What's not cool is telling people they're wrong for not buying it because they're rightfully mad.

Respect people's right to not support shitty people.
This is where I'm at. I'm still gonna buy the game, but I definitely respect that people don't want to now, as what the devs said is inexcusable and shitty. Truly reprehensible stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.