• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Refund request should go through. I have less than an hour playing it. I'd rather send my money elsewhere. I can live without this game.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Oh wow. I was planning on picking up this game after watching the Digital Foundry video featuring it, but never mind.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
"WITCH HUNT" LULW

Lmao why would these idiots make this discord public if they were going to discuss their bigoted world views?
The same lack of foresight and social understanding that led them to making the posts in the first place.

The internet always allows people to exist in bubbles where all you hear are views that support you, convincing many people that their views are far more supported than they actually are. Which is why many whine about SJWs or people being out to get them, because they fail to understand that they aren't representative of the general public. Add that to the tendency of video game development to demand long hours in front of a computer, and it's not surprising that the industry attracts those with a lack of understanding of societal norms and anger issues, even if it's just a very small minority of developers overall.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
What? Did you not get the memo with their addresses? Don't tell me you haven't sent a single death threat to them yet, please... ffs, at least send them a couple pizzas!
I know you're joking, but I don't think we should be fighting fire with fire in these situations. Sharing information and speaking with your wallet is enough. People should know better than to harass, so let's not even joke that harassment would be on the agenda of people siding for goodwill.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Disgusting. As always, I support equality for everyone so my money isn't getting anywhere near these devs. I might just be one person, but sometimes it isn't if you can change the world, sometimes it's just because we should have some human decency.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
God, I'm so tired of assfucks like this being just utter assholes. This shit seems so prevalent in games... even in this situation where they willingly provide evidence of their lack of humanity and decency, all it really makes me think is of how many more there must be that do it privately. Just makes me want to stop even thinking of even trying out games that I don't already know come from developers with minimally progressive thinking.

mothball

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissive Drive-By Trolling in a Sensitive Thread; Prior Infractions for the Same Behavior; Account in Junior Phase
Never heard of the game before this thread but it looks fucking awesome. Just bought it. Thanks for the heads up!

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
what a "nice" little community they have in that discord...
bummer I was interested in this game.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I saw Mothball nickname somewhere but I can't remember exactly .otherwise has it ever been considered to invite devs to explain themselves? In a constructive way I mean, so they could understand why people are shocked.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Their official Discord is a hive of this shit lol. Seems obvious the company they like to keep.

ce81050c-f156-4f30-8ttjnd.jpeg
Oh hey Redneckerz who was banned here and then went back to GAF and even partnered with Kiwifarms to track us. He can go to hell.

XuandeXun

Self-requested ban
Banned
May 16, 2019
So I know this is a bit of a tangent, but does anyone know similar about the Shortest Trip to Earth devs? I've been considering buying it, and then I came across a recent Steam review that said "Game is fun, but the random transphobic fluff text ruined it for me."

I don't want to support this kind of garbage either, but I haven't been able to confirm/deny this claim.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
TBH not surprised at all. I'm loving this game but the very nature of these kind of throw back games often attract the worst dregs of backwards thinking assholes. That goes to both the community and the devs behind it (the devs are a group of old Build engine modders so the devs are kind of one and the same with the community).

The bummer is it's a game with a cool female protagonist that's not sexualized in any way, shape, or form. It's the kind of game I'd like to support now with one known dev behind it that I'd rather not.

Last edited:

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
That's too bad. Game looked really good, but I will spend my time and money elsewhere now. Good find.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
What about Dusk and Amid Evil?
I honestly don't know what people see in Dusk because I played it for 30 mins - 1 hour and refunded it. Thought it was wretched in movement, gunplay, enemy design, and had an aesthetic that didn't look retro but rather looked like it was billed as retro to cover up poor art. Hated it. People seem to love it, but I don't get it.

Amid Evil seems fine, but I don't care for the Hexen/Heretic fantasy angle of shooting magic and what have you. I prefer shooters with guns.

PaJeppy

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I don't see the transphobia?

Not trying to troll. I just feel like that word gets tossed around a lot here and it doesn't seem warranted in this instance.

Maybe I've missed something outside the OP but the only comment from the dev is the one about parents deciding if there baby is trans are mentally ill. How is that transphobic?

Sounds more like he's taking a jab at parenting.

I have a daughter that's 4 months old. The last thing on my mind is gender in a sense. I was pretty upfront with everyone buying her clothes and toys that we aren't thinking about gender with any of this. Buy her a firetruck, dress her in what ever colour. Don't matter. I don't buy into "girl toys" and "boy clothing".

I'd certainly agree if you have a baby and your already concerned about what gender it is before he/she has grown up at all, you do have issues.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017

Not trying to troll. I just feel like that word gets tossed around a lot here and it doesn't seem warranted in this instance.

Maybe I've missed something outside the OP but the only comment from the dev is the one about parents deciding if there baby is trans are mentally ill. How is that transphobic?

I have a daughter that's 4 months old. The last thing on my mind is gender in a sense. I was pretty upfront with everyone buying her clothes and toys that we aren't thinking about gender with any of this. Buy her a firetruck, dress her in what ever colour. Don't matter. I don't buy into "girl toys" and "boy clothing".

I'd certainly agree if you have a baby and your already concerned about what gender it is before he/she has grown up at all, you do have issues.
it's transphobic because it's a thing that doesn't exist, and is a dog whistle.

Sep 12, 2018

It's a complete straw-man for one thing that only leads to the spreading of ignorant and bigoted anti-trans attitudes.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Was interested in getting the game when it came out on Switch, but after reading that... Yeah, you lost me Ion Maiden devs. ¯\ _(ツ)_/¯

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Goddamn.

This game had been on my wishlist for ages, a throwback FPS with a female lead sounded awesome. I was literally talking about it at work yesterday!
I'm glad I didn't bite when it released. Fuck em.

PaJeppy

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
it's transphobic because it's a thing that doesn't exist, and is a dog whistle.

How is making an fake argument against dumb parenting decisions transphobic? Also, I've googled dog whistle and the meaning I've come across doesn't make sense in your post.

It's a complete straw-man for one thing that only leads to the spreading of ignorant and bigoted anti-trans attitudes.

Again, had to look up "strawman" and I don't see how it partains in this instance. Maybe it does but I'm not seeing how his comment came about so I'm not sure how you can call it "strawman"

Again, don't see how saying parents are mentally ill for thinking about a newborns gender transphobic. He hasn't said anything negative about trans people from what I've seen in the OP.

JaxiPup

Dec 23, 2017
Massachusetts

If anything, regardless of context, can be 100% construed as transphobia, its the "mutilation" comment. Everything they said, aside from that, is clearly rooted in the typical anti-trans miss information rhetoric transphobes sling at us constantly. But it really shouldn't take more than calling gender reafirming surgery/ hormone replacement therapy "mutilation". Its transphobia full stop

PaJeppy

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
If anything, regardless of context, can be 100% construed as transphobia, its the "mutilation" comment. Everything they said, aside from that, is clearly rooted in the typical anti-trans miss information rhetoric transphobes sling at us constantly. But it really shouldn't take more than calling gender reafirming surgery/ hormone replacement therapy "mutilation". Its transphobia full stop

Yea sorry, missed the "mutilation" comment. That's definitely out there. Oh boy.

Edit: to the mods: don't ban me for not replying right away if more people quote me. I'm busy and can't look at my phone every 5 minutes. Only saying this because it's happened before and it's fucking rediculous.

Last edited:

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Well, shit, that sucks.

Maybe this is unfair, but I can't say I'm completely surprised that someone making a 90s throwback game with this particular tone wound up being this kind of jagoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.