• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Full respect to anyone who sees this and decides to put their money elsewhere (I had no plans to purchase anyway and certainly won't now but that's an extremely easy call for me to make) but I really don't like this culture of painting the consumer as the villain and treating them like they're bad people. If you start calling those people trash and telling them they should be ashamed of themselves they're probably more likely to start empathizing with the actual villains in this scenario - the people spouting this shit.

It would be one thing for someone to see this and be like "Hell ye f them SJWs im buying ur game!1", fuck that kind of person. But I'm not going to shit on someone who winds up making a purchase or doesn't look for a refund in spite of this.
If you start empathizing with a bunch of transphobic asshole because someone called you out on your purchasing decisions then yeah you're trash.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If any of the Ion Fury devs are reading this topic, then please, learn from this. Not how to "hide better" but to think about what youre actually saying. Detach yourself emotionally from preemptive hate and take some time to really think about how your mindset, behaviour and even jokes relate to and effect other people, and yourself. Take some time to reflect without anger on how this kind of behaviour effects the world around you. People here are upset, but dont just react with anger in kind, think about why that is and dont settle for the easy answer, really try to get to the core of it. Please, just take some of your time to actually think seriously about this, its all Im asking.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't trust that as being something that actually happens (and if it is, it's an extreme edge case). Some transphobes make up hypotheticals like that to justify their bullshit.
happened once in a SVU episode about twins but for a different reason, the parents wanted to solve a minor genital issue their son had and forced him into transitioning without telling him his original gender.Otherwise I don't know any examples.The kid ends up deciding to revert to originalgender because he has been abused and betrayed.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Between "harassment campaigns" and "vile criminal masterminds" I think that guy might have a persecution complex....
That or hes just panicking because hes not used to having his bullshit out in the open and its directly affecting everyone involved.
Most "anti-sjw's" thrive on having a persecution complex. This is all pretty textbook, honestly.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
game looks like a shitty nostalgia cash grab anyway

nobody will be talking about it for long

I was already pretty far through this game and its anything but a shitty nostalgia cash grab. There's clearly a lot of hard work and passion been put into it which makes hearing these things about the developers particularly disappointing.

Parham

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Would've been great if I had known this a few days ago. I've been enjoying the game for what it is, but man this is a huge bummer.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
If you start empathizing with a bunch of transphobic asshole because someone called you out on your purchasing decisions then yeah you're trash.
Hahaha, I mean sure but I just think it can be part of gradual downward spiral toward some rather nasty open arms waiting to comfort them. There's more to it along the path but I definitely think it's something the alt-right preys on.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There are infinite games, movies, books, tv shows that are not primarily or at least openly developed by people like this, so it's not like anyone should be lacking options of where to spend their dollars.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Man these guys reek. I won't put a single cent towards people perpetuating these kind of views. Good thing I saw this before purchasing the game which I was planning to do this weekend.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
I was pretty excited for this game. I was literally just about to buy it after *recommending it to a discord I frequent!*

This is highly disappointing because by all reviews it's a fantastic throwback game.

I'm trans. If I knew what the feelings I've been feeling since I was 4 or 5 were, I'd have asked to transition there.

But I didn't. Instead, for over 20 years, I suffered with it until I had the courage to come out and then the money to start HRT.

Children know they're trans, they just don't know what trans is.

As usual, alt-right goons ruin another good thing. It really is disappointing. :/

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Glad this didn't release on consoles yet or I would've bought it already. Never supporting it now.

Twonny

Dec 12, 2018
Damn, I was looking forward to picking this game up, but I just can't condone this kind of behavior.

Oh well, I should save money anyway.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Implication that you can play it without purchasing it/supporting the devs, probably.

Yeah my question was rhetorical. If you're (not you the other member) going to stand for something do it the right way instead of half-assing it (and in turn doing something also bad).

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Don't pirate software.

Also, unless you're never going to talk about the game, you're not really accomplishing much. All the people you get to buy the game because you run around publicizing it and building a community for it will more than make up the monetary loss of your one copy of the game.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Wow, what a bunch of clowns.

It amuses me when this sort of tirade goes so far past the line that it borders on self-parody. Saying people were "mocking Duke and tarnishing his good name" and that BF5 sold poorly because they "swj'd" it.

It's really incredible how people can be so dense and unaware, and how relatively new platforms like Discord provide such a clear window into the reality of these minds.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
Don't pirate software.

Also, unless you're never going to talk about the game, you're not really accomplishing much. All the people you get to buy the game because you run around publicizing it and building a community for it will more than make up the monetary loss of your one copy of the game.
Is this "Calling them out makes them win in the end?"

That's what it reads like, and there is a kernel of truth about it. But at the same time, surely *they would get more money if they didn't lose peoples' purchases from stupid shit devs say* and we would continue to talk about it in a positive way, pulling in people who would otherwise not know about it.

All he has to do is not say these things. That's it. If he just kept his views private, nobody would know, hardly anyone would care. But he didn't, and the consequences are losing sales and support, losing WOM marketing, and people being leery of them *as a company*, not just for *this* game, but every game they make. In exchange, they MIGHT get a few copies sold that they otherwise wouldn't have, but that would only extend only to this game, and not others...and then they'd have to double down later, losing more.

We outnumber them. It's that simple. And I wish it could just be a shitty game that also had a shitty dev or two, because it feels pretty awful to have a game I looked forward to be led by a garbage people. This is why PR for larger companies typically apologizes, why people typically get fired or demoted afterward. It costs sales.

Last edited:

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
ugh, finally a retro throwback fps that looks good and you pull something like this

0j2kcRe.gif

you fucking MORONS

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Especially when you consider that maybe there are a bunch of devs working there who made this game to make a living and just so happen to have shitty coworkers.

What's being said in that chat is gross but I don't really understand why we need to paint the whole dev studio has transphobic. Unless I'm missing something.

There's nothing you can do about your co-workers being shitheads in their private lives in a lot of cases, and I really don't even cast judgement on everyone working at this studio for associating with people who spend their time spreading transphobic rhetoric in public. Some might not know, some might not have the luxury to up and quit their jobs even if they recognize the work environment is toxic as fuck.

But as much as I may be able to sympathize with the decent devs on the team, it was the company and its management that ultimately decided it was acceptable to host these bigoted views on their company's moderated, public forum for fans. Not everyone in the company is complicit, I'm certain, but I'm not uncomfortable saying the company itself bears responsibility.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Is this "Calling them out makes them win in the end?"

That's what it reads like, and there is a kernel of truth about it. But at the same time, surely *they would get more money if they didn't lose peoples' purchases from stupid shit devs say* and we would continue to talk about it in a positive way, pulling in people who would otherwise not know about it.

All he has to do is not say these things. That's it. If he just kept his views private, nobody would know, hardly anyone would care. But he didn't, and the consequences are losing sales and support, losing WOM marketing, and people being leery of them *as a company*, not just for *this* game, but every game they make.
Not at all. I was talking about the user who said you should pirate the game because it's good.

You may feel righteous because you didn't give them any money, but when you go to the OT or wherever and talk about how good the game is while you're playing it, you're promoting it, building a community for it, and getting other people to purchase it. Other people will buy it, and you've accomplished nothing (other than stealing).

Sometimes doing the right thing means you have to miss out on certain activities. Trying to find loopholes is self-defeating.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so just one guy insinuating it is "suddenly acceptable"?
just report it like everybody else can do witht hat type of posts
i like how youre trying to get gotchas in this thread but not even refer to the actual discussion.
What gotchas? Pretending the game is a failure does not do anybody any good.

Status
Not open for further replies.