• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Art does not exist in a vacuum separate from those who create it.

It can and often does. If you never knew about Michael Jackson's paedophilia you would still think his music is amazing and enjoy it.

There are many things you currently enjoy that, I can guarantee you, have awful people behind them. Most things you enjoy, more than likely. You will simply never know - and as such the art does indeed exist in a vacuum from the creator.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That video is already pretty suspect without that meme being referenced lol. But yeah it's definitely possible for people to feign interest, I don't see a reason to believe the Ooblets dev was doing that though.

Yeah, the Ooblets people handled it right: Unlike it, "Crap we didn't know, we're sorry." Not "Sorry if you were offended", not making excuses for why it's ok, etc.

The video I linked came out around the time when artists were suddenly having malicious people using Remote Delete recently added to platforms like Telegram to delete parts or all of chats, so even the artist didn't have a record of what was actually said, and I took it to be referring to that. But yeah, it definitely wasn't framed the best in my view.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The ResetEra police is in full force I see. What a sad and dystopian place this forum has become, It is only good for leaks.

You had/have literal pedos in here and you criticize others for having different opinions that do not hurt anybody directly.

What's the opposite opinion of "Bigotry shouldn't be tolerated?"

Can you quote the sizeable chunk of this thread that's saying the game is now bad? Since you seem intent on not actually continuing on from what you were saying previously.

Real talk, I went back 6 pages and have seen 0 talk about the game itself outside of that thread about the old pre 2000's character art.

I'm Travolta pacing trying to figure out what this guy is talking about.

Mideon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I tried to take you at face value and actually discuss things with you but you seem far more concerned making this thread about you.
I'm not making it about me I am just a bit annoyed it's not a discussion and mainly insults. This thread is not about me and I have never tried to make it that at all. Apologies if I have or people think I have that's not the case at all. I said my bit discussion is not happening just insults so that's that

grunkleFungus

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
NC, US
The ResetEra police is in full force I see. What a sad and dystopian place this forum has become, It is only good for leaks.

You had/have literal pedos in here and you criticize others for having different opinions that do not hurt anybody directly.
Oh phew thank god a cis able person was here to tell me I wasn't really hurt by the transphobia and ableism

Also, if you know of any pedos and you aren't spilling who they are you're being disingenous and an absolutely shit person. Post evidence and names, and report them to whoever might be interested.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'm not making it about me I am just a bit annoyed it's not a discussion and mainly insults. This thread is not about me and I have never tried to make it that at all. Apologies if I have or people think I have that's not the case at all. I said my bit discussion is not happening just insults so that's that
Then respond to the below on the points you're actually raising:
Ok so they said some things that are offensive. That's wrong I don't agree with saying things that upset or offend anyone. The quality of the game is not affected by this though so I think commenting on the game based on this is a but overdramatic. Ok you don't want to buy the game but you go to the gas station or Walmart and buy things and don't think about the shitty people that run those places but these guys make a few comments and it's the end of the world. Come on man.
If I went to the local gas station and heard an employee say a transphobic comment and the owner laughed I might think twice about going there again. If I went back and heard the owner laughing about it again I might think it worth the extra 3m drive to the next one.

Except this isn't even a three minute drive, it's just buying one of the hundreds of other great games on the market.

People enjoyed the game before this is the point I'm trying to make. Now the game is trash?! Come on now reality check it's still the same game.

To put my point into perspective. I like wrestling hence my name on here. Chris Benoit did a horrible thing killing his family we all know the details. When I heard what he did not once did I think well all the matches I watched before he did this that I thought were amazing are now instantly crap.
Can you quote the sizeable chunk of this thread that's saying the game is now bad?

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017

Guys, if you want to brigade you shouldnt come all at the same time.
Tsk, amateurs.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
End of the day like someone said above we are all gamers we should all stick together no matter what we share the greatest hobby in the world.
We're all people first, gaming is merely a luxury hobby for us as enthusiasts. We should be trying to stand up for what's right and trying to improve tolerance and understanding as a species. Gaming is pretty irrelevant to that to be honest....

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Multiple people have tried engaging with you at face value and you're choosing to only respond with some corny ass persecution complex.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Something sure is leaking and it's coming out of your mouth.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
There are many things you currently enjoy that, I can guarantee you, have awful people behind them. Most things you enjoy, more than likely. You will simply never know - and as such the art does indeed exist in a vacuum from the creator.

Oh I can confirm that. I love A Hat in Time and it has JonTron voicing in that game. Doesn't mean I don't respect and understands people's choice to not buy/play that game. Why can't you understand that?

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I would advise people to report the users who are obviously drive-by shitposting, thread-whining, and minimising bigotry and transphobia.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It can and often does. If you never knew about Michael Jackson's paedophilia you would still think his music is amazing and enjoy it.

Yeh, and when you know about it it can factor into your purchasing decisions.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The societal expectation that you have to wear things like high heels is sexist. An employer insisting you have to wear high heels as part of your position would be sexist.

A woman choosing through her own agency to wear high heels is not sexist, and the hangup is that that poster is claiming that it is, while throwing in his own extra bit of sexism with "women would never choose to wear these things just for themselves." It's some "women only wear makeup to attract men" bullshit

That's not how I read in any of their posts. This is the start of the original post that started the whole chain of replies (emphasis mine):
To be fair, it is sexist if a woman puts on sexy/revealing outfits of the kind most men wouldn't put on due to societal pressure, expectations and conditioning. High heels are a prime example.

Further messages mentioning high heels (again, emphasis mine):
However, as a technical point, I wanted to point out that, if society encourages women to wear these outfits but does not encourage men to wear them, then that is indeed sexist, even if women end up wearing them willingly (and men end up avoiding them willingly).

At the Cannes Film Festival, women were only allowed to enter if they wore high heels. How is that not sexist?

Can you link to any example where Harlequin said that high heels, themselves, are sexist, rather than the societal pressure to wear them? Otherwise, I must insist you seem to be misrepresenting their point.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
lmfao @ the super obvious defense force. anyway, good on you op for speaking up and sharing this shit with all of us. fuck these idiots

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

By your own logic I shouldn't listen to you, as you're on ResetEra, which you say is filled with pedophiles, and you're criticizing others. Yeah, I bet you felt real smart typing that one, lol.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
The people commenting in that discord like to think of themselves as intellectuals and that showing empathy for others is some sort of weakness that needs to be eradicated from the world.

It's incredibly sad that they feel that way about other human beings, it's even sadder that they feel the need to attack people for actually caring about other people and their feelings.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
From Kyuuji 's post on the previous page.
ace31185-6188-4e44-9lcj8a.jpeg

source.gif

Oh good, the I am going to use autism as a excuse. Yeah screw this, they just keep digging the hole.

It seems 3D Realms is planning to release a statement, from what I read on Discord.

Well this ought to be interesting.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I didn't know about Ion Fury before this thread and now I know can continue to unaware of the game. And if I ever get a chance to buy the game dirt cheap, I won't bite

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
'Okay, I know the devs said that the holocaust was a swell time but just because they have a different opinion doesn't mean their game is bad.'
"That isn't just a different opinion."
'So, they said something you don't like and now you're accusing them of break into their neighbours houses and eat their housecats!?'
"what"

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I was actually considering buying this, good thing I didn't. It's a never buy from me now. Fuck em forever tbh.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Whine about "SJW's" on the forum that called you out is an "iinteresting" pr tactic. Avant Garde

This will certainly convince people you were right about

checks notes

Transphobia , ableism and various other gross shit

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
It's crazy how they seem so oblivious that their cringey defense attempts super obviously follow the gaslighting shitposting play book. "Not native english speaking" follows a bunch of gamergate twitter shit "oh those? Whoopsies I don't use this much, what even is a twooter anyway I forgot?" Fucking gross.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Criticizing people who say bigoted things is a waste of your precious time. That's why I spend my time criticizing people who criticize bigoted things instead, a much more constructive hobby better fit for people with healthy lives.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
It wouldn't surprise me to know that these types of people exist in every game development company to be honest. I'm still going to buy the game at some point because it looks fun but damn, that sucks to see them be like that.

I work with similar things. I'm not right wing or think like that about gay people and am very accepting, but someone at my company I work with is and doesn't want gay people to "push it on him" and stuff. We still keep him employed because he's a good employee otherwise and I don't know what the laws are regarding someone having those beliefs and firing them I guess but that's not my place to step in.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
To be honest, they just come off oas incredibly ignorant, pathetic, immature, insecure, and lame.

It's like sophomoric, teenage level bigotry and thought processes. Embarrassing more than anything really.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
It wouldn't surprise me to know that these types of people exist in every game development company to be honest. I'm still going to buy the game at some point because it looks fun but damn, that sucks to see them be like that.

I work with similar things. I'm not right wing or think like that about gay people and am very accepting, but someone at my company I work with is and doesn't want gay people to "push it on him" and stuff. We still keep him employed because he's a good employee otherwise and I don't know what the laws are regarding someone having those beliefs and firing them I guess but that's not my place to step in.
But like, they would probably fire that guy if he ran the company twitter and was following a bunch of anti-gay accounts, and liking homophobic tweets.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I know people love to whine about it, but I'm pretty into Era members calling this stuff out whenever they see it just so I personally know. I would never keep friends that talk this way, and there really aren't games that I need to the degree that I would tolerate this kind of rhetoric.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
All this talk about Duke Nukem's character and how terrible he is reminded me of this great clip of Giant Bomb's podcast about him lol

Oct 25, 2017
New York
People have every right to base purchasing decisions on information gathered in regards to developers. To do it out in the open and with such brazenness, it really shows where things are at nowadays. I will not support game developers that are shown to harbor such abhorrent views. Period.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I know people love to whine about it, but I'm pretty into Era members calling this stuff out whenever they see it just so I personally know. I would never keep friends that talk this way, and there really aren't games that I need to the degree that I would tolerate this kind of rhetoric.
Also, I want to point out that there are trans members of this forum. This isn't a bunch of crusader "SJW"s forming a mob, it's people ticked off over these game devs promoting hateful messages that hurt their friends, colleagues, family, community members, and themselves. You know, people (and gamers) "sticking together", as one now banned member wanted gamers to do. That's going to be important to some.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Also, I want to point out that there are trans members of this forum. This isn't a bunch of crusader "SJW"s forming a mob, it's people ticked off over these game devs promoting hateful messages that hurt their friends, colleagues, family, community members, and themselves. You know, people (and gamers) "sticking together", as one now banned member wanted gamers to do. That's going to be important to some.

Yeah, as a Latino and a Jewish person, it personally means a lot to me when I see people on this forum stick up for bigotry against people like me. I don't know, I think to get upset over the "mob" is really trying to ignore everything actually going on in favor of a mostly made-up narrative.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The societal expectation that you have to wear things like high heels is sexist. An employer insisting you have to wear high heels as part of your position would be sexist.

A woman choosing through her own agency to wear high heels is not sexist, and the hangup is that that poster is claiming that it is, while throwing in his own extra bit of sexism with "women would never choose to wear these things just for themselves." It's some "women only wear makeup to attract men" bullshit
You have to consider the context of where the desire to wear those high heels comes from and how it comes about, though, because it comes from certain societal views and expectations that are rooted in sexism, so, to me, the action and the societal expectations are very much linked to one another. (And while high heels are an extreme case because they're actually unhealthy to wear (on a regular basis, anyway), this is not just about women and high heels, it's about gendered fashion in general and applies to men, as well, though with men it's often more about what we shouldn't be wearing rather than what we should.) Would I tell a woman who wants to wear high heels she mustn't because sexism? No, obviously not (even though, yes, her wearing them does reinforce the aforementioned societal expectations and puts more pressure on other women to wear them - but that is no reason for her not to wear them if she feels good in them). Should we as a society work towards a place where, maybe, high heels are seen as more of an uncomfortable, unhealthy, archaic nuisance as opposed to a fashionable, sexy, desirable product? Absolutely. And should we work towards a society where anyone can wear whatever the fuck they feel like (with certain obvious exceptions like nazi insignia, black face,...) no matter their gender without being judged for wearing the "wrong" clothes? Yes! See, if society put the same pressure on men to dress in skimpy outfits or walk around in unhealthy footwear that it puts on women, I wouldn't be calling any of this sexist (obviously). I'd still argue that high heels are unhealthy to wear but that'd merely be a health issue, not a sexism issue.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, if your point is that an anonymous article of clothing by itself isn't sexist, then I suppose nor does mine, since I was arguing that society conditioning people to wear specific clothing based on their sex/gender was sexist. To get back to my high heels example, a pair of high heels sitting around on the floor, of course, isn't sexist. It could be worn by anyone, no matter their gender. A societal environment that discourages men from wearing them and encourages women to wear them (or often even pressures them into it), though? That is.

You're seriously going to argue that men don't suffer as a result of sexism? Wow. Every single man who does not naturally fit into the stereotypical mold of "real manly man" (which, honestly, who does?) will have suffered as a result of sexism in his life. It's just that said suffering is usually less external and visible than it is for women. Society puts enormous pressure on men to act and appear "manly". To refrain from any kind of behaviour that might make them seem soft or feminine, to bottle up their feelings until they crack,... I'd even say that homophobia is nothing but an extension of sexism and you sure can't tell me men aren't suffering as a result of that.

Emma Watson explained it quite well during her UN speech:

EDIT: And I have not once said anything "anti-Muslim". Are you now going to deny that many Muslim-majority cultures have serious problems with misogyny and homophobia? That's not the religion's inherent fault, of course, (there were points in history when Muslim culture was, in fact, way ahead of Western culture when it came to enlightened, scientific thinking, attitudes towards homosexuality, etc.) but it is the current reality of things (and people in power are abusing religion to keep it that way). Denying it out of some misplaced sense of political correctness isn't going to help anyone, least of all the many people suffering in those countries.

Think about your example of a man wearing a gown. Imagine why that man would face discrimination. Not because he is a man, specifically, but because of homophobia.

Oct 25, 2017

What? No of course it doesn't thiis is just an intellectually lazy way to not deal with the moral repercussions of continuing to actively consume the work of someone who's done socially objectionable things by pretending that their art can somehow be divorced from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.