• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I hope this puts to bed this myth that even if you do the right thing, somehow places like Reset will keep being on your ass about it nomatter what. Most of the responses here have acknowleged the apology as a really great one, and the response itself -- with the donation -- as quite literally life-changing for LGBTQ people. What you saw go down here wasn't mob rule, after all; it was a light in a dark corner of an industry that so often fails to self reflect. Kudos to the thread starter, the people involved, 3DR for their work.

I wish. However, the myth won't disappear because it preceds precedent. It was created as a talking point to dismiss our concerns and is not based on factuality.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
"Moving forward all of 3D Realms' contracts will include terms which would allow us to sever relationships if a contractor does not abide by our zero-tolerance policy for hate speech."

I really appreciate this from 3DR and every single publisher needs to take up this policy as well. We're so far past the point of just letting harmful bullshit like this slide and everyone needs to come down on it hard and do so preemptively and not just as a reaction.

jvm

Oct 27, 2017
As I noted, I refunded my purchase.

I will be waiting an watching a bit. Nothing wrong with that, and checking back in on this game in a few months.

I don't have to have this game and I surely don't have to have it now. Time will tell, I hope.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Apparently removing bigotry is "censorship".

Untitled.png

Rose

Feb 2, 2019
I still had LGR's video on the game in a tab for future watching, and really wanted to support the devs with a purchase for the game's perfect ultrawide support considering how old the engine is, even though I had a press copy. Definitely not buying it now.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That lotion shit (and the other "jokes") is straight up fucking garbage, I can't believe that shit passed in this day and age. What the fuck kind of eleven year old boy's humor is that?

How the fuck did that ever enter a distributed exe

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually impressed by Voidpoint 3DRealms' response. It is clear and decisive; they apologise, take responsibility, make no excuses, and commit to preventative measures so that it never happens again. And they put their money where their mouth is.

As disturbing as their actions were to begin with, given their statement I feel OK giving them a second chance. They just gotta stick to their word, now.

Last edited:

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Insensitive content removed, solid apology, and a generous (I know generosity is relative, but I'm in a generous mood myself) donation to a fantastic charity.

This could have gone much worse, at least. I'm planning to go through the Doom series for the first time on Switch soon, and so long as things continue in this direction, I'll happily pick up Ion Fury when I'm done. Not often you have a chance to let yourself feel satisfied with the conclusion of a controversy like this one.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
It's a shame; I was really interested in purchasing Ion Fury as it looked fun, but this behavior is absolutely unacceptable. I will not be purchasing until I'm convinced that they actually feel remorseful about the actions of the developers in question, and take concrete steps to rectify this horrible treatment of the LGBT community, of which I am a part.

I think their statement is good, and is a step in the right direction. Donating to The Trevor Project is huge, IMO.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm actually impressed by Voidpoint's response. It is clear and decisive; they apologise, take responsibility, make no excuses, and commit to preventative measures so that it never happens again. And they put their money where their mouth is.

As disturbing as their actions were to begin with, given their statement I feel OK giving them a second chance. They just gotta stick to their word, now.

Just to clarify, I believe this was 3DRealms' response, not Voidpoint's.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I feel better about giving this game a go (eventually).

I had added it to my Steam account probably just a few hours before this whole thing started on here since I kept hearing how good it was. And then this all happened.

It's nice that there was a good apology issued and the $10K donation is also incredibly fantastic.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Fair apology -- no interest in the game given my apathy towards shooters, but great to see they're taking proper steps moving forward. The Trevor Project donations certainly shows they're taking genuine steps to better themselves, if nothing else.

Treat people with decency and respect or else...we'll talk about your video game on a forum and ask for refunds?

Someone alert the FBI.

Uh, hey, didn't you get the memo? We're apparently apologists for our own rapists and pedophiles! God FORBID we ever make a stink over a *90's-styled shooter making 90's-styled humor!

*Actual defense I've seen.

Last edited:

Monolith

Oct 25, 2017
For those of you who are still unconvinced or happy. What would the devs/publisher have to do to make you personally comfortable enough to buy the game again? I'm still undecided myself.

DongDong

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Troll Account
Not sure what's up with social media. What am I supposed to be mad about with this game?

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
For those of you who are still unconvinced or happy. What would the devs/publisher have to do to make you personally comfortable enough to buy the game again? I'm still undecided myself.
Honestly, firings from Voidpoint to be honest. 3D Realms had to come out and say sorry as well as make a donation cause you had a few people say the stupidest shit possible and double down, triple down on it. People get fired for smaller shit all the time yet game developers just always skirt by.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Holy shit, don't go onto the Steam forum page for Ion Fury. People on there are having a meltdown over "cucks" and "SJWs". Threads keep getting deleted.

And they say we are thin skinned.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017

They need to come out and say what the punishment was for those responsible, not just mandatory sensitivity training for all. It wasn't just offhanded off the clock comments, there was slander INGAME. That can't have a slap on a wrist and needs to follow those developers where ever they go.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Freedom of speech only works if consumers are free to support what they want based on the speech that thing contains, or the speech professed by the people that make it. The people who don't want it to work that way don't believe in free speech. They only want their own speech protected.

I got my refund because I didn't want to support a developer who tolerated the sexist, homophobic and transphobic things it appeared this dev did (based on the Twitter account's terrible reactions).

They don't like that the dev has apologized, because it underlines that there was something to be apologized for in the first place.

Because they don't want to be culpable for the things they say.

And freedom of speech only works, if *we are*. Freedom of speech only works in a society that selects good ideas over bad ones. The market place of ideas. That's the whole principle. They're getting refunds because it's what we did. Because they think maybe it'll get the devs to start ignoring hate speech and put bigotry back into their game.

It won't.

Freedom of speech at work.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Freedom of speech only works if consumers are free to support what they want based on the speech that thing contains, or the speech professed by the people that make it. The people who don't want it to work that way don't believe in free speech. They only want their own speech protected.

I got my refund because I didn't want to support a developer who tolerated the sexist, homophobic and transphobic things it appeared this dev did (based on the Twitter account's terrible reactions).

They don't like that the dev has apologized, because it underlines that there was something to be apologized for in the first place.

Because they don't want to be culpable for the things they say.

And freedom of speech only works, if *we are*. Freedom of speech only works in a society that selects good ideas over bad ones. The market place of ideas. That's the whole principle. They're getting refunds because it's what we did. Because they think maybe it'll get the devs to start ignoring hate speech and put bigotry back into their game.

It won't.

Freedom of speech at work.
This is a tangent, but it's always somewhere on the back of my mind that the First Amendment explicitly protects hate speech, which has been shown time and time again.

The situation strikes me as being similar to gun laws. They're protected by the same "taking your rights" and nigh-divine legal cult ideas, it's the same thing where you can see other countries that have workable laws but then then America can't pull that off.

Similarly to how defenses of unrestricted firearms sales tend to speak of an ulterior motive, I also feel like a lot of people decrying free speech tend to be aware that it's useful cover for their desire to engage in hate speech, and actual reasoning about the effectiveness of free speech can only fall on deaf ears.

Detourne

Banned
Aug 18, 2019
User banned (3 days): advocating for piracy, platform warring
Hi, I'm new here. I'm a man (assigned female at birth) who's been into ego shooters since my dad let me play Quake as a kid, much to his surprise and amusement that I wanted to, and ego shooters have been one of the few safe topics we could connect on until he passed away. The last one we ever talked about was Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, which we both thought was terrible, and I haven't bothered with the new ones. I bought Ion Maiden in Early Access, which was basically a short demo, and it got me so stoked I double-dipped and bought the Limited Founder's Edition which I'm still waiting for.

I got down on the full version the moment it launched, beat it on Maximum Fury without savescumming in two eight-hour sittings, and it's far and away the best ego shooter campaign I've played since Modern Warfare 2. I started talking about it with one of my friends and told them to check it out, and then they told me about all this nonsense. I came here to check it out, and... this has been all really fucked up, straight from one of the best experiences I've had with a videogame this year (and in my life in general) to a persistent migraine that I'm still reconciling with. Total whiplash in the past week.

I'm not so shocked that some of the developers are blatant bigots and their fanbase are supportive of them. I've always been a hardcore gamer, I know the culture, I deal with this shit online and off all the time. I'm glad this forum exists and that there are people on here who will not let hateful and phobic viewpoints fester without opposition. I'm surprised that 3D Realms has made a reasonable and direct apology, and I'm laughing at all the hypocritical idiots who are review bombing and screaming about censorship because a shampoo bottle is getting replaced.

In the future I hope people will remember the game and not this incident, because the game is life-affirmingly incredible to me aside from that one shampoo bottle sprite and an OOB message and repeated references to The Room, and I hope the transphobic people who made this game continue to make incredible games without their phobic bullshit in them.

But, to be more personal, this event really underscored a conflict I've had my whole life in how I relate to art and other people. All my trans and allied friends don't really care about videogames, and I don't blame them, but it's frustrating when Ion Maiden has so much that's original and breathtaking to say about level design, simply some of the most inventive and detailed and sprawling and interconnected ego shooter levels ever are in this, but people everywhere (and on here) will take any excuse to disregard brilliance and go back to playing Overwatch or their even more insidious Atlus JRPGs. If you don't want to support bigots, why not pirate the game? And if you care about ego shooters, why are you talking about buying it on Switch? I can understand playing it on a real console if one's life situation demands it, but a Switch? There's no chance it'll run at 60FPS (it already chugs a bit on my GTX 1070-equipped PC), and how are you gonna snap headshots while strafing in a split-second with those nubbed finger sticks unless the game does it for you, and then what's the point? It's just not fair to the game, or to yourself. It reminds me of what David Lynch said about watching a movie on a smartphone. Is it really worth it?

All my life I've had to engage with people who pretend to tolerate my identity, and people who pretend to care about videogames. The only safe space I could rely upon growing up is playing Quake III online, kicking ass and earning respect, but I can't take that outside. I can't take it online anymore either, because nobody cares about Quake anymore and people decided to cancel LawBreakers. Cancel Paragon. Cancel Ion Fury. Cancel everything. Everyone's a fucking asshole who hates me and the things I love, and in the end I'm so numb to bigotry and to posers and to all the screaming and nobody really loving anything anymore. I can't express how I feel about anything anymore without being canceled.

I'm a trans person and Ion Fury is GOTY 2019. Please play it.

Last edited:

bizzuh

Feb 26, 2019
United States
I sincerely hope they all learn from this and actually moderate their OFFICIAL Discord server. My short time there was a lot, lot more than what has been shown in screenshots and after moderators doing very little I just left. If I had seen that raging and disinformation about trans folk I would never have joined. They only banned overt trolls while I was there.

Absolutely unreal.

Edit: Forgot to mention I am trans as well, early in transition which makes me hate that it's only going to get worse in real life from now on :(

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
This is a tangent, but it's always somewhere on the back of my mind that the First Amendment explicitly protects hate speech, which has been shown time and time again.

The situation strikes me as being similar to gun laws. They're protected by the same "taking your rights" and nigh-divine legal cult ideas, it's the same thing where you can see other countries that have workable laws but then then America can't pull that off.

Similarly to how defenses of unrestricted firearms sales tend to speak of an ulterior motive, I also feel like a lot of people decrying free speech tend to be aware that it's useful cover for their desire to engage in hate speech, and actual reasoning about the effectiveness of free speech can only fall on deaf ears.
But those protections for hate speech only go a short distance. Yeah you can be Westboro Baptist church and be homophobic hate mongers but it isn't going to grow your congregation much, if at all. And that's by design.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm glad this shit was busted wide open. I wouldnt go so far as never being able to work I the biz again, but I hope anyone involved in this nonsense knows that what they did was fucked and how lucky they are that their game isnt just being permanently pulled from steam/any future storefronts. We technically dont really know that last part even. It sucks because the game looked fun. Get your hate out of my vidya games, you fucking morons.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I feel a little bit better about owning the game now that they are removing the problematic content, but they really need to do something about the developers in that discord chat.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
The Metacritic whiplash by the incels is amazing. 10s and 0s both crying about the same thing. They truly played themselves.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
Hi, I'm new here. I'm a man (assigned female at birth) who's been into ego shooters since my dad let me play Quake as a kid, much to his surprise and amusement that I wanted to, and ego shooters have been one of the few safe topics we could connect on until he passed away. The last one we ever talked about was Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, which we both thought was terrible, and I haven't bothered with the new ones. I bought Ion Maiden in Early Access, which was basically a short demo, and it got me so stoked I double-dipped and bought the Limited Founder's Edition which I'm still waiting for.

I got down on the full version the moment it launched, beat it on Maximum Fury without savescumming in two eight-hour sittings, and it's far and away the best ego shooter campaign I've played since Modern Warfare 2. I started talking about it with one of my friends and told them to check it out, and then they told me about all this nonsense. I came here to check it out, and... this has been all really fucked up, straight from one of the best experiences I've had with a videogame this year (and in my life in general) to a persistent migraine that I'm still reconciling with. Total whiplash in the past week.

I'm not so shocked that some of the developers are blatant bigots and their fanbase are supportive of them. I've always been a hardcore gamer, I know the culture, I deal with this shit online and off all the time. I'm glad this forum exists and that there are people on here who will not let hateful and phobic viewpoints fester without opposition. I'm surprised that 3D Realms has made a reasonable and direct apology, and I'm laughing at all the hypocritical idiots who are review bombing and screaming about censorship because a shampoo bottle is getting replaced.

In the future I hope people will remember the game and not this incident, because the game is life-affirmingly incredible to me aside from that one shampoo bottle sprite and an OOB message and repeated references to The Room, and I hope the transphobic people who made this game continue to make incredible games without their phobic bullshit in them.

But, to be more personal, this event really underscored a conflict I've had my whole life in how I relate to art and other people. All my trans and allied friends don't really care about videogames, and I don't blame them, but it's frustrating when Ion Maiden has so much that's original and breathtaking to say about level design, simply some of the most inventive and detailed and sprawling and interconnected ego shooter levels ever are in this, but people everywhere (and on here) will take any excuse to disregard brilliance and go back to playing Overwatch or their even more insidious Atlus JRPGs. If you don't want to support bigots, why not pirate the game? And if you care about ego shooters, why are you talking about buying it on Switch? I can understand playing it on a real console if one's life situation demands it, but a Switch? There's no chance it'll run at 60FPS (it already chugs a bit on my GTX 1070-equipped PC), and how are you gonna snap headshots while strafing in a split-second with those nubbed finger sticks unless the game does it for you, and then what's the point? It's just not fair to the game, or to yourself. It reminds me of what David Lynch said about watching a movie on a smartphone. Is it really worth it?

All my life I've had to engage with people who pretend to tolerate my identity, and people who pretend to care about videogames. The only safe space I could rely upon growing up is playing Quake III online, kicking ass and earning respect, but I can't take that outside. I can't take it online anymore either, because nobody cares about Quake anymore and people decided to cancel LawBreakers. Cancel Paragon. Cancel Ion Fury. Cancel everything. Everyone's a fucking asshole who hates me and the things I love, and in the end I'm so numb to bigotry and to posers and to all the screaming and nobody really loving anything anymore. I can't express how I feel about anything anymore without being canceled.

I'm a trans person and Ion Fury is GOTY 2019. Please play it.

Thanks for sharing your story. It's cool you could bond through games with your dad. I hope someday you won't have to experience that bigotry anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
You know it's interesting with people saying they are going to boycott the game because of the shit the developers said, and now people saying they are going to boycott the game because of the dev apology and, in their words "censorship" - looking at steamcharts there doesn't seem to be any noticeable change in player count in either direction.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm laughing my ass off at all the negative reviews popping up on Steam because the devs apologized and "censored" their game. Apparently we are the "alt-left".

Yeah look at all this oppression, us making a fuss over offensive content, prompting an apology and a promise that said content will be removed from what would have otherwise been a fine gaming experience.

Good grief when will people just be free to be openly hateful and avoid being shamed for it.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Alt right review bombing is happening. The fucking Incels and Nazis are such snowflakes. It's dropped from overwhelmingly positive to very positive and is rapidly dropping.

Status
Not open for further replies.