• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
FYI that's a figure of speech about ending an activity, not something to be taken word for word.
The connotation of the phrase is still around the area of the word-for-word meaning, or taken sarcastically in the sense of "you've had your excitement for the day, so go home". It's not a great phrase to use in this situation.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Hmm, that's a surprisingly decent apology. I sincerely they follow through on donating that amount to the Trevor Project. And I really hope this doesn't become a fool-me-twice-never-again situation wherein TerminX and/or any other Voidpoint devs try spouting the same hateful crap they did recently. Seriously guys, "keep the politics out of games" for once (it's not okay when you do it and then blame us) and focus on making awesome throwback FPSes

Also, if anyone at 3D Realms is reading: vet your potential game devs for this stuff starting as soon as possible. Plenty of modders and level designers in FPS fan scenes do work just as amazing and consistent as these guys, at least outside the Build engine, without any of the bigotry.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
That's a good apology by 3DR. I wonder if those Voidpoint devs are going to keep their jobs. You'd think they wouldn't if their employer doesn't endorse their statements and attitudes.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Good response by 3D Realms and Voidpoint. Calling this shit out, donating money to LGBTQ friendly charities and sensitive training for everyone regarding this. I mean, you can still be mad at the devs and whatnot, but you can't deny this is a better response than what THQ Nordic had with their 8chan AMA blunder.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
That's a good apology by 3DR. I wonder if those Voidpoint devs are going to keep their jobs. You'd think they wouldn't if their employer doesn't endorse their statements and attitudes.
Depends on whether or not they ever signed a code of conduct as a mandatory condition of their employment. I think a lot more of these issues would be resolved before they happen if such a thing was in place.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Good job 3DR. Not sure I believe that Voidpoint deserve any credit for the turnaround though, but 3DR is absolutely doing the right thing here.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Well hey, something good came out. Course shall see if they follow through with their plans, but it is a nice statement. Guess I don't need to worry much for Wraith and maybe reconsider Ion Fury at a later time (well I was going to wait for the switch version anyway).

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
One of the problems in this scenario is that the company is the devs in the gaming industry. It isn't quite like a tech startup where you can buy the company for their invention and then shrug off as the founders leave. You can take license, but if you want them to do the work, you need the people that are specialized for it.

But it's good if 3D Realms takes it seriously. Company culture is set from above. Even if you can't change people's hearts, you can change their behaviour.

Oct 25, 2017

I'd rather see the devs just come around to the realization that they made a big mistake, and to learn how to better make games for everyone. They are clearly talented, and the game is good, but I think what 3DR is doing is going to be enforcing a standard that we can all live with and *hopefully* it will, in the end, just mean that the next game we get from Voidpoint doesn't contain any of this garbage.

As unbelievable as it is, 3DR is puting their money where their mouth is, and they are doing the right thing. If that is the kind of influence that exists above Voidpoint, then I'm confident things can and will be better moving forward.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I think the response is pretty solid, specifically about having a new zero-tolerance policy moving forward.

I've gotta say though, any time someone is openly using these kinds of slurs/biggotry, and pulls an insincere "the context was removed" retort to try to deflect, that burns about 10000% of any credibility they have. That goes from bad behavior to outright lies. I have a feeling knowing they did that, they had no choice but to actually respond to the substance of it.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Moving forward, Voidpoint will institute a zero-tolerance policy for this type of language and all employees and contractors will undergo mandatory sensitivity training. As part of our efforts to contribute to the work that must be done to further support these communities, we are donating $10,000 from Ion Fury's release day proceeds to The Trevor Project. We are also patching Ion Fury ASAP to remove all unacceptable language."

Oh wow, actual positive action.

Take note, THQ.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
That's a pretty damn good statement, and exactly the kind of thing that companies need to do.

It doesn't matter if it's all just PR, call out your bullshit and take action to improve. Doing so doesn't just make people feel better, but it delegitimises those who want to try and downplay the issues. It's harder to try and claim that someone did nothing wrong when they're talking about what they did wrong.

People are always going to be assholes, which is why it's important for the larger collectives to take action.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's a really good apology to be honest. I'm glad to see that it doesn't beat around the bush or pretend that the things they said weren't actually transphobic or sexist, and that it focuses on how things are going to improve from here. I doubt that the culture in that discord and the dev team will change over night or anything, but this is a good first step and I hope they follow through on all of it

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's a really good apology to be honest. I'm glad to see that it doesn't beat around the bush or pretend that the things they said weren't actually transphobic or sexist, and that it focuses on how things are going to improve from here. I doubt that the culture in that discord and the dev team will change over night or anything, but this is a good first step and I hope they follow through on all of it
Completely agree.

I find it's a pretty good response and a breath of fresh air after the honestly terrible one from THQ Nordic.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Even if that is 3D Realms making them apologise it's still a good result and hopefully the sensitivity training will make a few of them understand why this sort of language is unacceptable.

I would rather the training actually change their viewpoints and make them better people than have them fired and then they are still going around saying stuff like this.

I believe anybody can change given the chance and the right tools, maybe that's naive of me but I would rather we try and maybe even change one mind than not try at all.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
So the people that worked on the game who made those comments or inserted those things in the game are fired? Did the money come from them? Do they still see profit from the game? It's a good apology but at the same time it shouldn't turn into "I guess it's okay to buy the game now" if those people are still involved.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
So the people that worked on the game who made those comments or inserted those things in the game are fired? Did the money come from them? Do they still see profit from the game? It's a good apology but at the same time it shouldn't turn into "I guess it's okay to buy the game now" if those people are still involved.
Not everyone who was put off by the initial issues and bigotry has to accept the statement/apology, that's going to come down to the individual. It doesn't misplace blame, takes full responsibility of the issues and impact, and says they're taking action both internally with training, and giving back to the community with charitable donations. It reads as genuine, or about as genuine as one can expect from this sort of thing, and at the very least it's very unlikely some of these developers will be using their platform to spout anymore bigotry or cruelty, as had happened.

For me, it was a good statement, and I'm going to take a wait and see approach in hopes that they follow through on their promises and wait for this to die down a little, but i'm certainly feeling more comfortable with all this, as well as with supporting future 3D Realms products that i've been anticipating, like Wrath.

Last edited:

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
Not everyone who was put off by the initial issues and bigotry has to accept the statement/apology, that's going to come down to the individual. It doesn't misplace blame, takes full responsibility of the issues and impact, and says they're taking action both internally with training, and giving back to the community with charitable donations. It reads as genuine, or about as genuine as one can expect from this sort of thing, and at the very least it's very unlikely some of these developers will be using their platform to spout anymore bigotry or cruelty, as had happened.

For me, it was a good statement, and I'm going to take a wait and see approach in hopes that they follow through on their statement and wait for this to die down a little before I consider purchasing the game, but I'm certainly open to the idea of buying it.
If they still work there nothing was done. If I did the same in my job in a public way I'd be out the door.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
The donation was far more than I expected from them.

Only time will tell if the team and community at large will condemn this hate from this point forward. I'm not too convinced on this part.

Tangeroo

Oct 26, 2017
Zero-tolerance policy moving forward? Good. Then moving forward, I will consider buying future products. But I won't be buying Ion Fury.

Sounds like there's no penalties involved for the offending parties (aside from mandatory "training").

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Solid article from Game Informer. Respect.

I'll be waiting to see if Voidpoint actually follows through and gets their shit together. Still not sure if I actually want to play the game anymore, but maybe by the time it lands on the Switch I'll feel more inclined.

Yeah, I really hope they don't see this as overly sensitive people essentially just ratting them out. It's not like anyone started out with any ill will toward them, it's quite the contrary, this has been incredibly disappointing to many of us. I really hope they can learn from this and be better people in the end.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
FYI that's a figure of speech about ending an activity, not something to be taken word for word.
Perhaps. But "we'd like to keep politics to a minimum tbh" is merely code for "we don't want anything to do with LBGTQIA or any other progressive nonsense".

Good apology, but I don't think for a minute that these people will stop being transphobic scumbags. I hope they really follow through and it's not just words, but bigots don't change easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.