• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Mod Edit: Content Removed.

does anyone actually ever buy multiple copies just to own some group they dislike

Last edited by a moderator:

Flapjack21

Aug 18, 2019
3D Realms insisted on Discord that they don' want to talk about Restera because they plan torelease a statement. So far ithas not bee published, but Iguess itmight come this week.

They're likely hoping the controversy dies down on its own because "it's just some discord messages".
Plus they know full well that releasing a statement will bring more attention to it, which they don't want.
From their point of view, this is going to end up on news sites regardless but a statement will guarantee that and unfortunately, their safest bet is to pray that it gets overlooked.
I imagine we won't see a statement until there's already mass outrage/media coverage.

data

Oct 25, 2017
3D Realms insisted on Discord that they don' want to talk about Restera because they plan torelease a statement. So far ithas not bee published, but Iguess itmight come this week.
I doubt there will be one due to the fact that transphobia was and probably still is rampant and left unchecked in the discord.

They just don't people to talk about it

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
We're not getting a statement, there are a bunch of conferences today and throughout the week Gamescom will be happening, gaming news sites and the general gaming audience will be too occupied with these, there's no point in releasing a statement when, even if they released it, would get quickly buried under new game announcements and trailers, waiting it out will workout perfectly for them.

AdamT

Oct 27, 2017
Providence, Rhode Island
I waited a couple days before sharing my opinion on social media and reviewing the game on Steam hoping they would apologize. Instead, it seems like they doubled-down and let the cesspool of the internet live in their discord. This morning, I let it be known of my disgust and that those opinions are not tolerated and unwelcome. I have zero tolerance for hate.

I almost always wait until after release to buy a game I'm hyped for. Should I be putting that off by a week or two in case the devs turn out to be shitty now? This sucks and drains my enjoyment of gaming.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How do we start the motions to get the OT shut down and discussion of this game banned from ResetEra?
If stuff like the THQN incident and the Persona/Catherine backlash is any indication, banning discussion of Ion Fury won't happen, and honestly it shouldn't. This isn't like Hatred or Criminal Girls where horrid shit is basically the foundation of the entire game and them a platform on here would just be promoting their ideas. Ion Fury isn't a homo/transphobia simulator, and most probably wouldn't notice anything wrong with it from just the promo material, but the devs DO support those ideas and we should be raising awareness of that fact. Banning the game here would only serve to help the information raised here to fly under the radar, when we should be bringing it up everytime this game or it's devs are in the conversation to ensure people don't forget who they are and why they shouldn't be supported.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
My thoughts too. Even when compared to other gaming communities, the retro FPS crowd strikes me as especially toxic. Of the few negative reviews of this on Steam, one of the recurring complaints is that the game is too "PC" and doesn't properly capture the humor of games like Duke Nukem and Shadow Warrior. I think for both fans and devs alike, the shitty believes and outdated bits of humor are an intrinsic part of the genre's identity.
The annoying part is that this isn't necessarily the case. Many FPS communities, Doomworld for example, call ou their own bigots (like the creator of Brutal Doom) more often than not. They still permit awful stuff a bit too much, just not at the level of other communities one could attribute to certain other genres. I've seen well-adjusted Build FPS discussions before and I'll see them again, albeit not from brigrading alt-right/troll posters and reviewers seeking to make Ion Fury their battleground (their goal being to invoke no-true-Scotsman fallacies and paint themselves as the "true" FPS fans).

One can recognize the juvenile, dated nature of Build FPS games and still focus on their major positives which are still relevant to FPS design today. It's why I was excited for Ion Fury to begin with. Now I'm disappointed by how 3DR has let this happen without consequences, presumably because they think Gamescom news will bury this and prevent meaningful resistance.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
If stuff like the THQN incident and the Persona/Catherine backlash is any indication, banning discussion of Ion Fury won't happen, and honestly it shouldn't. This isn't like Hatred or Criminal Girls where horrid shit is basically the foundation of the entire game and them a platform on here would just be promoting their ideas. Ion Fury isn't a homo/transphobia simulator, and most probably wouldn't notice anything wrong with it from just the promo material, but the devs DO support those ideas and we should be raising awareness of that fact. Banning the game here would only serve to help the information raised here to fly under the radar, when we should be bringing it up everytime this game or it's devs are in the conversation to ensure people don't forget who they are and why they shouldn't be supported.

All it seems to be doing is creating hate for ResetEra from outside sources.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
This is bigger than the topic, but I think that an important piece of perspective to have is that often times, things look negative because they're moving forward. Change scares people, and that fear motivates them into attempting to stop that change.

Beyond that, in order for problems to be solved, you have to learn they exist. So it may seem like a whole bunch of things are going wrong when the reality is that they were always that way and you just didn't know until someone made a move to address them.

This used to be exactly what I believed. However, the reaction to progress has been so vitriolic and overwhelming in recent years that I have been somewhat shaken of that belief. I don't want to get into it too much here, but I used to have optimism. I used to think that things really were getting better. I am not so sure now.

C Moon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing concerns surronding transphobia and homophobia, previous infraction for sexist trolling
I personally believe this whole thing is being blown out of proportion.

I can't necessarily defend their choice of words, but I feel that some of the things they said have some merit, i.e. cancel-culture is bad and parents shouldn't decide if their toddler is trans when said child has no concept of gender identity.

It's certainlt not worth calling for people to be fired and blacklisted forever. That's way too far.

I am willing to hear out opposing viewpoints.

Flapjack21

Aug 18, 2019
In the piano room in the level "Executive Disorder"

kISgOLd.jpg
aVToVNk.png
ZuW4GBv.png

With the noclip cheat turned on (cheat code is IMFREE), stand on top of the piano and face this bookshelf, then simply walk through it.
You will be pleasantly greeted with this.
gQlet7w.png

Can we get this threadmarked as well? Or the collection of the four screenshots, since they have all been confirmed now?

Only having the "OGAY" content threadmarked really just downplays the issue for newcomers to the thread, and is overlooking worse points that need to be shared.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017

I can't necessarily defend their choice of words, but I feel that some of the things they said have some merit, i.e. cancel-culture is bad and parents shouldn't decide if their toddler is trans when said child has no concept of gender identity.

It's certainlt not worth calling for people to be fired and blacklisted forever. That's way too far.

Are you just ignoring the in-game slurs?

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019

Parents aren't doing that, stop reading tabloids

It's generally thought that children start forming an identity around 2-3 years old

Also decided to check out the logs for myself

2.PNG

1.PNG

6.PNG

boy power

Banned
Jul 29, 2019

What parents are deciding that their toddler are trans?! And these people are only attacking trans children, not all the parents forcing any sort of gender expression on their children. If children have no concept of gender identity, why is it fine to teach boys to be boys and girls to be girls? I heard them criticize this in no way in their discussions.

And it's not like they are running to clarify their point of view, or for that matter trying to distance themselves from the alt-righters now completely enamored by this '' based, alt-right '' gaming company. They aren't distancing themselves from the alt-right agenda AT ALL. And if they aren't doing that... maybe they don't see it as a negative thing, making those previous statements seem pretty clear as to what they meant by them, and what kind of ideology they support.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Quality retort!
In any case, the idea of having all mention of a game banned from the site just because the devs are a bunch of dipshits seems a bit extreme, don't you think? Especially when it's a game that many are actually enjoying playing/talking about.
There's no need to be upset at people bringing the possibility up, nor aggressive.

You don't come to conclusions about things, especially as a community, by sticking your head in the sand and ignoring it, whilst disparaging those who refuse to do the same.

Even if the answer is no, which the vast majority of this community, myself included, would likely agree on, it is still an important question to ask. If a game, or it's creators, go against our values, how should we respond? Is there a scale at which that response would be acceptable, and at which it shouldn't?

These are important things to think about, and you shouldn't be trying to shoot the discussion down or discredit it.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Quality retort!
In any case, the idea of having all mention of a game banned from the site just because the devs are a bunch of dipshits seems a bit extreme, don't you think? Especially when it's a game that many are actually enjoying playing/talking about.

I don't think it's that extreme at all. Maybe for a forum of so-called video game enthusiasts, but in the end games are just that: games. Some things matter more than our entertainment. The problem of banning discussion of Ion Fury is the slippery slope that entails. Other devs of larger games have said similarly offensive things, sometimes within the games they created, but whereas people might reluctantly okay banning discussion of a niche title like Ion Fury, good luck banning Persona titles from discussion despite their well-documented LGBTQphobia.

Myself, I skipped out on a number of bigger releases that I was looking forward to this year because the views of their creators expressed outside or inside the games are not in tune with my own, and I feel good about keeping my integrity. Gaming may be a hobby of mine, but that is no reason to throw good people under the bus for. Ion Fury is an amazing game as many have said, but their enjoying the game means they financially support people spreading bigoted views. Now of course I cannot stop anyone from buying the game in the end, but rest assured anyone posting in the OT, singing its praise, with no mention of the dev and their abhorrent behavior, are people I cannot respect. Because it is evident that they don't give enough crap about the queer community to skip the purchase of a mere video game.

I am a straight dude by the way, by no means part of the community myself. But some things just come to you naturally over the years. Not to everyone though. Some people stay bigoted forever. It is easy to blame your own faults and shortcomings on others. That is why these people will never grow.

Deleted member 56909

User requested account closure
Banned
May 21, 2019
underwater
Agreed.

The Discord channel's claims of trans qualities being a mental illness, based on links to depression, are just flawed. The depression often stems from the very same intolerance that manifests on the channel, and what's mentioned in the survey you posted. Life is hard enough as it is, without other people trying to stop you being what you are, just so your mere existence wouldn't bother them.

Well, people are calling Pride, and supporting it, a political thing. It fits their ridiculous narrative of there being a liberal conspiracy. It's the same old song every year the event occurs. The intolerant view the whole thing as something that's rubbed in their noses on purpose, and prefer if everyone who isn't like them would keep on living in the closet, like in the "good old days".
Thats why i said folks are just hiding behind the idea that it's political which it never really is. I get people are just going to say it for shits and giggles but the reality is that it's an easy target to hide behind your personal beliefs by claiming it being politics. Theres also just people who buy into the narrative on all sides when really they just don't get that hate isn't political it never was it's just some stupid way to be bigoted to somethijg you don't like. Which is why you can try to push for progressive legislation but nobody is going to have your back unless they actually believe in your cause. It's why so many people find it frustrating that so many people in a political party don't support one group or another because it's not the party itself that has these beliefs it's based on the individual you voted in to share said views. So now folks can hide behind their ideas and do the damage from afar from voting in people that share these ideas with them. If you want to tackle hate or racism or homophobia or transphobic we have to deal with these people who are causing the damage in the first place. And all we can do is show them that their views are wrong.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
After trawling through the discord it's pretty clear that 3DR are complacent at best, I'm not holding out on a statement.

The discord is absolutely disgusting and a lot of staff are quite active on it

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quality retort!
OT's and such also act as advertisements for the game.

I think generally removing a platform for hateful dipshits, and not advertising/signal boosting them, is a good idea and not at all extreme. You'll be glad to know that, at least when it comes to game discussion, moderators here tend to not agree with me however.

Status
Not open for further replies.