• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flapjack21

Aug 18, 2019
True, but I'm getting the feeling that the publisher is a little less enthused. I could definitely see a situation where 3DR nicely ask Voidpoint to maybe remove a few little bits here and there.

Then again, maybe I'm being naive. Guess we'll see.

Consider that the 3DR staff will ban you for saying the word Resetera within seconds, but they allowed transphobic discussions to flow freely. And from the developers themselves at that.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Consider that the 3DR staff will ban you for saying the word Resetera within seconds, but they allowed transphobic discussions to flow freely. And from the developers themselves at that.
Shit that makes it worst if they still allow that discussion to be prevalent in the discord.

Does that mean 3DR is willing to support transphobia too? They didn't make it clear that they were against it.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So far we've only got the "OGAY" joke and the... whatever that weird jumble of words are in the out-of-bounds screenshot. Right now I'd say the game itself is significantly less problematic than something like Persona 5, and certainly less so than a lot of 3DRealms' older titles.
are you building a homophobic/transphobic tier list or something

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I really wanted to buy and play this game but now.. I just can't. Nope. Fuck them.. Ah well. Plenty of other games to play.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
What is with the comments section
Ion Fury definitely seems to have a solid defense force that seems to equally detest LGBTQ+ people. From brigading here to any articles around it.

I hope other articles focus on the long conversation instead of the scattershot examples that can be too easily (though incorrectly obviously) hand-waved as misconstrued or one-off.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Those comments...

Also, out of morbid curiosity I searched YouTube for something on the topic and found
Mod Edit: Let's not signal boost links like these
It seems they have latched on to the superficial issue of the OP calling out derogatory use of "SJW", painting Era as a hive of insanity while conveniently glazing over all the hate, discrimination and misinformation. (This content creator seems to be so transphobic that he can't even bring himself to read "trans" out loud...)

Viewer discretion advised.

Last edited by a moderator:

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Those comments...

Also, out of morbid curiosity I searched YouTube for something on the topic and found
Mod Edit: Let's not signal boost links like these
It seems they have latched on to the superficial issue of the OP calling out derogatory use of "SJW", painting Era as a hive of insanity while conveniently glazing over all the hate, discrimination and misinformation. (This content creator seems to be so transphobic that he can't even bring himself to read "trans" out loud...)

Viewer discretion advised.
Youtube has been a shithaven for far too long for 30 min long le SJW videos, it's hardly surprising. Hell the only things I use it for are for fighting game guides and random movie clips and the algorithm is still pushing CAPTAIN MARVEL SJW AGENDA videos onto me

Last edited by a moderator:

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
Man what a god damn bummer, I was pretty excited for this game until all this shit came out.

I hope 3DRealms has some sort of legit statement and takes action, but I'm expecting the worst...

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
Fuck this, I wanted to buy this but this is just too much.

Why did they refuse the refund?
Bought the game when it was in early access. March 2018. Didn't expect to get a refund, but hearing that others managed, I figured it was worth a shot.
Not in the mood to fight with Steam support over this. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they're just as much a bunch of asses to some degree. I mean, it is Steam we're talking about here.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Youtube has been a shithaven for far too long for 30 min long le SJW videos, it's hardly surprising. Hell the only things I use it for are for fighting game guides and random movie clips and the algorithm is still pushing CAPTAIN MARVEL SJW AGENDA videos onto me
I may seem naive for only considering it now, but it feels so depressing and hopeless knowing that people (just regular, everyday folk) can easily make a platform for large followings and revenue by spreading such manipulative bullshit.

I'm trying to imagine having an actual conversation with such people, and reasoning with their followers, and it fills me with fear. Like standing ground against a horde of mindless zombies.

Some have said that when a movement is desperate and on the verge of death, it becomes its most loud and terrifying.
I really hope that's true, and that threads like this will ultimately have a positive impact.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I may seem naive for only considering it now, but it feels so depressing and hopeless knowing that people (just regular, everyday folk) can easily make a platform for large followings and revenue by spreading such manipulative bullshit.

I'm trying to imagine having an actual conversation with such people, and reasoning with their followers, and it fills me with fear. Like standing ground against a horde of mindless zombies.

Some have said that when a movement is desperate and on the verge of death, it becomes its most loud and terrifying.
I really hope that's true, and that threads like this will ultimately have a positive impact.
They just echo a lot of the tabloids here in the UK so I'm fairly used to people with similar views. I think if you pushed the topic with coworkers and stuff you'd realise it's pretty pervasive even among the regular folk, just not to the same intensity.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Bought the game when it was in early access. March 2018. Didn't expect to get a refund, but hearing that others managed, I figured it was worth a shot.
Not in the mood to fight with Steam support over this. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they're just as much a bunch of asses to some degree. I mean, it is Steam we're talking about here.
Huh?

Oct 28, 2017
I mean you bought it over a year ago.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I hope 3DRealms has some sort of legit statement and takes action, but I'm expecting the worst...
The last 3D Realms game I reviewed was Bombshell*. Even back then I got the vibe that they couldn't care less about issues such as homophobia, transphobia, etc. This was back in January of 2016 too, which was well before Trump's election.

*Honestly, I was actually a fan of it.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they're just as much a bunch of asses to some degree. I mean, it is Steam we're talking about here.
I'm not sure what you mean here. I'll be the first person to criticize Valve for their libertarian stance on many issues, but eh, I wouldn't put them on the same level as homophobes or transphobes.

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017

lmao is this for real?
mind blowing. blatant transphobia can flow freely in their chats but mentioning Resetera cops you a ban. that's so childish, smh 3DR.

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
I'm not sure what you mean here. I'll be the first person to criticize Valve for their libertarian stance on many issues, but eh, I wouldn't put them on the same level as homophobes or transphobes.
I saw some people apparently directly getting in contact with steam and them bypassing the time limit.
Just had the mental image of some libertarian tech-bro being all "Transphobia is not a valid excuse for a refund. We have to allow all opinions on Steam and it's your fault for having a moral objection."

Completely unfounded, but I'm in a shitty mood following one of my most anticipated games of the year getting completely sunk by the rotten attitude of the developers.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I saw some people apparently directly getting in contact with steam and them bypassing the time limit.
Just had the mental image of some libertarian tech-bro being all "Transphobia is not a valid excuse for a refund. We have to allow all opinions on Steam and it's your fault for having a moral objection."

Completely unfounded, but I'm in a shitty mood following one of my most anticipated games of the year getting completely sunk by the rotten attitude of the developers.
I call bullshit. You can refund games on steam without any reason if you want.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
At times like these I feel like it is hard to believe that we are trending in the right direction...
This is bigger than the topic, but I think that an important piece of perspective to have is that often times, things look negative because they're moving forward. Change scares people, and that fear motivates them into attempting to stop that change.

Beyond that, in order for problems to be solved, you have to learn they exist. So it may seem like a whole bunch of things are going wrong when the reality is that they were always that way and you just didn't know until someone made a move to address them.

cyress8

Avenger
Sounds like one hell of an echo chamber. They look so weak when they are scared of Resetera typed out. Can't stop incels looking weak though, that is just who they are.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Their defense is probably one of the dumbest I have ever seen. Its like they're just picking random phrases from the bigot's emergency handbook.

And their supporters are even worse. "It was posted on discord, it doesn't count!"

So many other games to play.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Sounds like one hell of an echo chamber. They look so weak when they are scared of Resetera typed out. Can't stop incels looking weak though, that is just who they are.
I just want to point out that a lot of the discussion that has been moderated on the Discord was people looking to sneer at the situation and the forum. The community on the discord is, if you haven't guessed already from the myriad of non-dev comments in the Discord, about what you'd expect for things like 'beating sense into children' to crop up and go unchallenged by devs and staff.

There are definite questions raised about why everything was allowed to transpire unabated on the official 3D Realms Discord - that's presented as an official line of contact on their website - and why they never took issue with the transphobic and homophobic rhetoric on display in numerous conversations over time.

The developers haven't been hiding these views either over this time, they're all in the normal public channels.

Last edited:

Flapjack21

Aug 18, 2019
Steam refunds have strict time constraints to stop people from completing a game and then getting their money back.
If you played the demo/early access, your playtime is carried over and therefore you likely do not qualify for a refund.

Please don't imply that they are holding back your refund because of your opinions (which steam do not know).
There is no requirement to tell them why you want a refund.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018

Yeah, I get where you're coming from. Steam has a no-question-asked refund policy as long as you're within the refund window, but if you happen to be outside of that window a support rep will have to handle your case individually, and naturally the result will vary depending on the person handling it. Now, I can agree that devs with a hateful rhetoric is as good reason as any for a refund, but I can also acknowledge the risk of granting refunds no matter what as a company. That's not really viable, or having a verification process for each case for that matter. I don't necessarily think it's due to a libertarian stance in this case.

However the case, I don't think you're wrong in criticizing Valve for not accepting your refund. Keep fighting for what you think is right. But I would at least be prepared for repeated rejections. :p

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
3D Realms insisted on Discord that they don' want to talk about Restera because they plan torelease a statement. So far ithas not bee published, but Iguess itmight come this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.