• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
I don-t understand why they didn't just reduce the game's price across the board like Remedy did with Control. It didn't even need to be a permanent discount...just something.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
How about they sell the game at whatever price they want and you buy it or not?

If you don't like it, don't buy it.

This is what people are choosing to do. Is there a problem with people choosing to do this in line with whatever they think is worth spending on?

There are no games like Hitman. Splinter Cell and Metal Gear as stealth games are dead, sandbox to kill a target? Haven't seen a similar game at all.

There are other games, sure. But Hitman as far as I know is very unique.

I know what fucks it all up. Their online servers are probably crashing again because so many people try to play. Same shit happened with H2 before H3 launched. This is so fucking stupid. Doesn't avoid cheaters for scoreboards and adds no benefit at all.

Yeah, that's why I've enjoyed many of the prior Hitman games all the way from the first game I got when I was a kid.
But I don't need it regardless of how unique it is. There are tons of unique games regardless.
When I'm referring to how competitive things are, I'm talking about the sheer amount of awesome unique games available and coming to places like Steam, all with far better pricing / value, and in a better state. I only have so much time for games and money I'd want to put towards it, so the most competitive wins. With TW3 that I got instead, it is £28.49 rather than £49.99, and offers a bunch of benefits for prior content/games, and has better value and longevitiy to me. They choice is trivial for me.
I don't think ioi approach even with "free" content is going to change anything for most people that are the same

Last edited:

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
People are doing exactly that.

unknown.png

unknown.png

I'm glad people are voting with their wallets.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Some people here missed the point. Of course developers/publishers can price their games however they want and put it on sale whenever and wherever they want. We are seeing that every day. Issue here that they themselves admitted that they messed up Steam launch, issued apology and offered peace offer (kind lame offer but still something). That offer won't solve their issue of low player count and sales because they ignored main issues that caused that (regional pricing and high base price) but that is different issue. And then just few hours later way better deal than they offered as apology for Steam launch pops up on Epic Store. That i was the main issue.

And again don't say how they they didn't know that game will be on sale when standard procedure for most stores is to contact publisher to set sale price in advance.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
The pricing on this is so much of a clusterfuck it's hard to make sense of it all.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody is buying stuff at EGS lol
Not literally nobody, but EGS has crazy deals usually which is good for people that are open to buying PC games anywhere.

For me, buying where the best prices are has it's perks, but also there's other quality of life things. For example, I love buying games on Origin because of EA's customer service, it reminds me of Amazon where they are willing to compensate you for game issues, are fast on replies, and are available for direct communications.

Maybe the 50% off will come back, there's a $10 off cupon going on right now so maybe that's why it was removed? That would be a crazy combo.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Some of the posts telling people not to complain about dumbass pricing is weird...and here i thought customers weren't supposed to tell each other to 'just don't buy it' when complain about bad pricing.

Y'all do realize that when it doesn't sell good, devs will blame the customers as if there wasn't any demand for the game at any price.. the fact that IOI responded in any manner with a public statement means that complaining works to an extent. Just don't act like everybody is in your shows where they can afford to not buy it and buy later cause thats not the way for some of us living in places where economy is shit..

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who bought the game at full price in it's PC release a year ago, that's not true. Also I'm sure there are people would have bought it at $19.99, the price it was if you use the $10 coupon they offered.
Yeah I missed out, maybe it'll come back though. I never buy games at full price anymore. I have too many games so I have no reason to when I just have to wait a bit.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
As someone who bought the game at full price in it's PC release a year ago, that's not true. Also I'm sure there are people would have bought it at $19.99, the price it was if you use the $10 coupon they offered.
Not literally nobody, but EGS has crazy deals usually which is good for people that are open to buying PC games anywhere.

For me, buying where the best prices are has it's perks, but also there's other quality of life things. For example, I love buying games on Origin because of EA's customer service, it reminds me of Amazon where they are willing to compensate you for game issues, are fast on replies, and are available for direct communications.

Maybe the 50% off will come back, there's a $10 off cupon going on right now so maybe that's why it was removed? That would be a crazy combo.

Yeah not literally "nobody", I'm talking about people that complained about Hitman's 3 treatment (and therefore aren't paying more because they wouldn't get it at EGS anyway)

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
What's this thing about no discounts on new games launching on Steam for the first 30 days? I constantly see games launch on Steam with discounts, so not sure what that's about.

FatPuppy

Jun 18, 2018
Might have had to pull the EGS sale because it supposedly broke terms of agreement with Steam about discounting it more elsewhere than on Steam, and since they can't currently discount Steam version since apparently you're not supposed to discount the price you launch with for the first 30 days of release on Steam, they had to undo the EGS sale so they'd be at the same price.

Once the first 30 days on Steam are up, we might see some bigger changes. If they'd thought ahead and included a launch discount on Steam, they could have done the EGS Lunar Sale at that price, but since they didn't it looks like nobody gets a discount for now.

Weird that they left out the Steam players who paid the most (already bought Deluxe + 7DS = $120) from getting anything. Hopefully they'll throw some of the paid Year 2 content at them for free later on or something.

What's this thing about no discounts on new games launching on Steam for the first 30 days? I constantly see games launch on Steam with discounts, so not sure what that's about.

It's the price you launch with, so you can launch with a discount in place, but not launch at one price and then go lower within that time frame. Probably to cut down on the amount of support tickets Steam would get if the price suddenly dropped lower than what the day one people got.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

You can launch with discount but you can't participate in sale event if it happens in first 30 days from launch. You can extend launch discount through sale event.

Might have had to pull the EGS sale because it supposedly broke terms of agreement with Steam about discounting it more elsewhere than on Steam, and since they can't currently discount Steam version since apparently you're not supposed to discount the price you launch with for the first 30 days of release on Steam, they had to undo the EGS sale so they'd be at the same price.

Once the first 30 days on Steam are up, we might see some bigger changes. If they'd thought ahead and included a launch discount on Steam, they could have done the EGS Lunar Sale at that price, but since they didn't it looks like nobody gets a discount for now.

Weird that they left out the Steam players who paid the most (already bought Deluxe + 7DS = $120) from getting anything. Hopefully they'll throw some of the paid Year 2 content at them for free later on or something.

It's the price you launch with, so you can launch with a discount in place, but not launch at one price and then go lower within that time frame. Probably to cut down on the amount of support tickets Steam would get if the price suddenly dropped lower than what the day one people got.

That rule says that you need to treat Steam users fair and offer similar discount/offer on Steam. They don't need to donit at the same time but they need to do it in certain amount of time i think.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
There are laws in countries in regards to discounting , which means a reseller need to have been selling a product for a certain period of time before they discount it from the original price .

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
There are laws in countries in regards to discounting , which means a reseller need to have been selling a product for a certain period of time before they discount it from the original price .

In case of Steam it is more to be fair towards the users. Imagine launching game at the full price and then week or two later doing 20% off on Summer Sale for example.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Releasing it at full price was a huge mistake, they should have known. On top of that releasing multiple version and all dlcs for seperate, making it so convoluted, so potentially customers could buy the same content multiple times, that's just anti consumer.

This is one game I didn't play this year, that I really wanted to play, because the delay to the steam store really rubbed me the wrong way. But not like this.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017

AFAIK the discount parity doesn't have to be implemented in real time i.e. if it's currently 50% off on other stores, it has to be 50% off on Steam RIGHT NOW; Valve just expect you to do similar discount in near future/reasonable timeframe (yes the language is intentionally vague). Though it's still a bad optic to release your game full price $60+ on Steam and do a drastic half-off sale just 30 days (or even 60 days) later.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
AFAIK the discount parity doesn't have to be implemented in real time i.e. if it's currently 50% off on other stores, it has to be 50% off on Steam RIGHT NOW; Valve just expect you to do similar discount in near future/reasonable timeframe (yes the language is intentionally vague). Though it's still a bad optic to release your game full price $60+ on Steam and do a drastic half-off sale just 30 days (or even 60 days) later.
Or in this case, seven days later. (Ignoring the Humble Store, which was selling EGS keys for this game for half off literally the day of the Steam release, which prompted this discussion in the first place)

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It could be one of those poorly planned things where someone at IO was unaware that there are both platform and consumer protection laws that prevent you from launching with a % discount off.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Huh, nice, I'll take it. I didn't mind paying full price because of the fact I saw it as a new game, ignoring Epic. Also I only paid $16 for hitman 2 gold and got hitman 1 free with my old GPU, so I didn't mind giving them the full thing.

Only thing that I'm disappointed with is the VR is not near as good as it could be.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
It's very weird, games industry is one of the few places where consumers complain if reviews take into account price or if anyone complains about price.
No wonder Sony feels so confident at raising prices.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I bought H3 deluxe at launch on PS5 and 100%'d the game a while back so don't really have much skin in the game. I'm gonna replay the series on xbox (gamepass) but I do think IOI fucked up a little by not offering a full, complete, "you get everything" with Hitman Trilogy Edition. Its a bit ludicrous that it doesn't include the Hitman 2 DLCs, which are great, or H3 7 Deadly Sins/Deluxe.

Yes, they have the right to make money... and thats what they would do if they charged $60 for an edition of H1-3 that includes everything. Keeping in mind that we KNOW they are going to release new Y2 DLC content in a few months, that will cost $25-40, and I think most people are perfectly fine with that. Buy H1-3 complete now for $60, in a few months if you liked it enough pay some more for more content.

But this asstastic content explosion sucks. You got H1-3 trilogy for $60, then $40 more for H2 DLC, then another $20 for H3 deluxe, then another $30 for 7 Deadly Sins. Thats ridiculous for content that is 1-3 years old. I was ready to enthusiastically recommend friends who didn't play H3 last year buy the trilogy, but now I'm just quiet because it really should have included all DLC.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Happens when you cash in on the sweet EGS money and then try one year later to sell you game at full price on Steam when it was already a few times on sale on a different store.

May 17, 2018
Honestly *amazing* to see how this company is utterly incapable of making one single good business decision.

Holy shit.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
It could be one of those poorly planned things where someone at IO was unaware that there are both platform and consumer protection laws that prevent you from launching with a % discount off.

You can launch with % off on Steam (officially up to 40%, although some games like Borderlands 3 did launch with 50% after exclusivity ended, so it's probably not strict limit) and also extend that discount to store wide sale, if there's one within a week.

Even if IO could've done just 40% on Steam and still had 50% on EGS, there probably wouldn't have been much complaints (though I'm sure there would've been some).

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
IOI can not fucking help themselves. They need some new business people there or something. They are totally inept at actually SELLING the games they make.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus those Steam numbers are abysmal. I love the Hitman games but IOI could seriously use some management changes wrt these moves. Between this Steam clusterfuck of a release, all the convoluted passes and editions between games, plus the janky ass progression migration system, something needs to change. Hitman deserves better, and so do its fans.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
IOI can not fucking help themselves. They need some new business people there or something. They are totally inept at actually SELLING the games they make.
These business people must have worked in the same business team over at Square Enix. Seeing similar issues here where neither actually want to sell games to people because they don't understand shit.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
I just wanted to buy the game on Epic for 20 and it's back to full price?!

Was the lesson they learned from Steam users getting angry that they should piss off users on all platforms equally?

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
I bought H3 deluxe at launch on PS5 and 100%'d the game a while back so don't really have much skin in the game. I'm gonna replay the series on xbox (gamepass) but I do think IOI fucked up a little by not offering a full, complete, "you get everything" with Hitman Trilogy Edition. Its a bit ludicrous that it doesn't include the Hitman 2 DLCs, which are great, or H3 7 Deadly Sins/Deluxe.

Yes, they have the right to make money... and thats what they would do if they charged $60 for an edition of H1-3 that includes everything. Keeping in mind that we KNOW they are going to release new Y2 DLC content in a few months, that will cost $25-40, and I think most people are perfectly fine with that. Buy H1-3 complete now for $60, in a few months if you liked it enough pay some more for more content.

But this asstastic content explosion sucks. You got H1-3 trilogy for $60, then $40 more for H2 DLC, then another $20 for H3 deluxe, then another $30 for 7 Deadly Sins. Thats ridiculous for content that is 1-3 years old. I was ready to enthusiastically recommend friends who didn't play H3 last year buy the trilogy, but now I'm just quiet because it really should have included all DLC.
The way you approach pricing feels like the best way to handle it? We're consumers but would that be so bad for IOI to follow? They got that H3 content paid for with their deal so should just be butter for them on Steam.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 week): History of trolling/platform warring in Steam related threads.
Everyone needs to stop pretending like different stores can't have different sales. If one store puts an item on sale that does not make me entitled to get this same discount in every other store I go to.. lol

WHEW. Those are astoundingly terrible numbers. IOI couldn't have bungled the PC launch of Hitman 3 more if they tried.

lmao. 99% of people that wanted to play this played it on EGS. These are just the few people that decided to be weird about it and wait a year and then buy it on Steam for a worse deal instead of just.. buying it at the store it was originally available on.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
lmao. 99% of people that wanted to play this played it on EGS. These are just the few people that decided to be weird about it and wait a year and then buy it on Steam for a worse deal instead of just.. buying it at the store it was originally intended to be available on.

Have you seen the Epic Year in Review? No one is spending money there, and they aren't hiding the numbers lol