• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just watched the first three episodes. It's been a long time since I read the comics, and I thought it was great.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
God damn, that episode 1 ending. I'm officially hooked.

I like William, Mark's friend at school. A believable gay character? In my animated fiction? Someone who realistically talks about guys and straight people and relatable struggles? Nice to see.

Last edited:

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished the first three episodes. Enjoyed it on the whole.

Comic cuts/changes were unfortunate but completely understandable. The comics had way too much stuff going on at once.

One thing I noticed is that for a star-studded crew the acting felt very wooden. I assume it wasn't done in the same room. But compare jk Simmons here to korra and he's much better there. Is it the direction or my imagination?

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I can finally discuss this. I saw the first 3 episodes a long time ago but I've agreed to the nda. I never read the comics but the cartoon series that I watched blew me away. Very adult and contemporary with excellent voice acting and animation. Amazon has a winner here and I can't wait to watch it again to see if anything changed.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
Watched the first 3 episodes, thought it was okay to good.

Immediatly called the twist in ep 1 and i'm not particularly interested in that storyline bc it's obvious where it's going.

I'm also find it kind of "abnoxious" (dunno if thats the right word) how we go from high school kid problems and blood guts and gore super quickly.

I dunno how to explain it properly tho, like the tonal shift makes me incapable of believing this is a real world.

Kinda feels like adult cartoon The Boys but loosing the edge that live action gore gave it.

Still i enjoyed it enough that i'm still gonna watch it but it doesn't have me hooked like crazy.

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
Oof that IGN review.
After watching the first 3 episodes I largely agree with it, particularly what they said about Nolan's character and the animation / editing. I thought 3 was a pretty big improvement over 1 and 2 though, if it can stay on that trajectory I think the first season can turn out pretty solid as a whole.

Edit: While I'm less enamored with the VA than it seems like many of the reviews are, I've really really liked Gillian Jacobs as Eve. I never got into her character much in the comics but it feels like they've added a bit of depth to her characterization here.

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was a big fan of the comics. How much does the first season cover?

I don't know how far the first season will cover as a whole, but the first three episodes are almost up to around #9 (which I believe is when the third TPB starts). Some stuff is changed around quite a bit though.

Last edited:

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
The show very much feels like Invincible did in its later arcs. The stakes were higher, violence was more visceral, and the pacing much more focused. Early issues were still trying to find their footing, so the show having a better idea of what the cast would become in the comic is a nice change. They're also sticking far more closely to the source material than The Boys while recharacterizing and recontextualizing some events, which IMO is a good thing (invincible has a solid foundation, but The Boys as a straight adaptation would be unwatchable).

Changing a lot of regulars from the extremely white cast of the comic to POC was also a smart move. Not to mention making William's sexuality unambiguous from the get-go, as opposed him making multiple homophobic jokes before the writers wrote in a single line saying he's gay.

Moreover, the whole cast gets so much more time to breathe and develop as characters. The biggest change by far is Omni-Man, who gets several new scenes (and some expanded old ones) showing just how cruel and vicious he really is. The comic didn't have a hard time selling him as a villain, because he doesn't get more than a handful of moments to be a hero. The show taking time to establish him as a genuine father figure to Mark and keeping him around long after he left Earth in the comic was a great call; in the comic, Mark started working for Cecil to support him and his mom after Omni-Man murdered the Guardians, clashed with Immortal, nearly killed Mark, and left the planet. In the show, Mark starts working for Cecil because his dad's in a coma, meaning their eventual fallout may take on a very different tone. Really excited to see where it goes. Also, loved Seth Rogen as Allen.

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
Moreover, the whole cast gets so much more time to breathe and develop as characters. The biggest change by far is Omni-Man, who gets several new scenes (and some expanded old ones) showing just how cruel and vicious he really is. The comic didn't have a hard time selling him as a villain, because he doesn't get more than a handful of moments to be a hero. The show taking time to establish him as a genuine father figure to Mark and keeping him around long after he left Earth in the comic was a great call; in the comic, Mark started working for Cecil to support him and his mom after Omni-Man murdered the Guardians, clashed with Immortal, nearly killed Mark, and left the planet. In the show, Mark starts working for Cecil because his dad's in a coma, meaning their eventual fallout may take on a very different tone. Really excited to see where it goes. Also, loved Seth Rogen as Allen.
For me, the show hasn't done an amazing job of convincing me on Mark and Nolan's relationship. Like, it's spent a lot more time telling the audience Mark really wants to be like his dad, but I really miss some of the small scenes in the comic that show their human-level father/son relationship. I think there's like a single page in the comic that shows Mark and Nolan staying up late watching George Romero movies. There's no real plot significance there, but it drives home that at the end of the day, these two are a normal dad and son. You also get a sense that while he can be serious, Nolan's a pretty goofy guy. Much of the emotion in the twist, to me, came less from the fact that Mark is fighting Omni-Man and more that he's fighting his dad. I think those small scenes that show Nolan "going soft" gain a lot of depth in the wake of the Invincible / Omni-Man fight. Right after he kills the Guardians, you're thinking it was all a farce and he's bad to the bone. Then he spares Mark and you realize that it's not just Mark that has a connection to those moments, Nolan does too. It's just strange to me that, given more time spent on the Mark/Nolan relationship, they largely focused on Nolan as a superhero mentor and his underlying desire to convert Mark to his worldview.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Outside of the fights, the animation is very ho hum. I feel like that's the show. Ho hum unitl it slaps you in the face with something cool.

But for real can I
get a show with that detective demon asap or what.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
started reading the comics last night, it was pretty good i suppose
might check this out

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, so the dad is voiced the Farmer's Insurance guy. I thought his voice sounded familiar.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
This is how I like my comic movies (edit: or TV shows which I guess this is). Just like Punisher Warzone, you use the comic as the storyboard.

The line changes to make it slightly more modern have been fine for me. I love the comic too much to have an unbiased opinion. Can't wait for BB.

Last edited:

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Ah, so the dad is voiced the Farmer's Insurance guy. I thought his voice sounded familiar.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.