• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019
Always. Played flight sims on my family's 486 all the time back in the day and it stuck. It's the first option I change.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I started on inverted in the 90s because of joysticks and flight some but I switched sometime in the early 2000s because it stopped making sense somehow. Still play flight sims inverted though.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I tried univerted on the first Halo at a Gamestop back in the days, it was a horrible experience.
Also can we have this as a cover image:
rLJTq.png
love this btw

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I used to play Star Fox on SNES non-inverted as a kid, despite the fact that its default controls are inverted.

But since getting an N64 when I was 9 and becoming used to N64 games (which were all inverted), I have since always played inverted.

The only thing I didn't retain from my N64 days today is the inverted X camera in Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
This thread is pure FILTH! Convert to un-inverted now and repent for your vile sins immediately!...

...and may the gods show mercy on you blasphemous heathens...

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Always used Y axis inverted it just feels natural to me.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Have always inverted the Y-axis for as long as I can remember, probably thanks to games like Pilotwings and Star Fox.

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
Always play with inverted X and Y.
hate to play games that doesn't have the option to change it.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
I tried univerted on the first Halo at a Gamestop back in the days, it was a horrible experience.
rLJTq.png

This image could apply to both X and Y axis, and yet a lot of people apply this logic just to Y but not X. This is why inverted is weird to me.

But of course: play any way you like and every game should have inverted options for both axis.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who grew up playing flight sim games, inverting the Y axis is so fucking normal for me. I can't play regular.

SickNasty

Mar 18, 2020
I have always played the Galaxy Brain method. I guess a lot of people who started gaming on the N64 and similar will be the same. I do sometimes switch between inverted X and non inverted X but it doesn't seem to follow any kind of pattern, I blame Wind Waker and Mario Sunshine for having that as the default and non-changeable option.

I desperately miss the feature on the Xbox 360 where it would save basic control preferences like this to your profile and apply them to new games or multiplayer games automatically. Glory days.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Inverted X-axis literally makes no sense.

Inverted Y-axis is how God made our necks work.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Fun fact:

In university, we had a small game project for a game design course. My group did a rail sooter like Starfox. I did the programming for the ship and implemented inverted controls with no way of changing it. The day of the presentation, our teacher gave us so much for the controls, I felt stupid for not giving the option to change it.

Today I can play both ways but usually leave it at default.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
I used to play first person games inverted, but third person games "normal".

Now I simply cannot play first person games using analog sticks, so I use non-inverted on my mouse and steam controller.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
I always play inverted and probably always will. Logically, it just makes more sense to my brain. If I switch, I can't ever get used to it and I don't really see a reason to try. It's interesting to me that inverted used to be the default and non-inverted slowly took over almost completely. None of my friends play inverted.

Edit: I'm talking only about the Y axis.

Twenty Three

Oct 28, 2017
Always inverted. It should be the default setting.

My family are non inverted miscreants. We frequently have battles over the controller settings menu.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
Gamepad always inverted from snes starfox to this day (not m&k though).

I had however a non inverted lapse while playing Rise of the Tomb Rider a few years back, made playing other games weird for a little while. To this day I have no clue why.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
For me If I'm going to be flying something then I want it to be inverted and that's like my default expectation. In regular first person perspective where you're just running around though I can't deal with inverted lol.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
rLJTq.png
If you use this image as an argument then I assume you also invert the X axis since it would follow the same logic? :P

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Always been Y inverted on controllers ever since...err... Goldeneye or Halo or whatever first person game I played on a console back in the day.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Animal Crossing: New Horizons made me forced myself to play the correct way with the camera control while decorating my house.

It does take a while to get used to, and I tend to flick the stick around more often.

But I found out, regardless if I play inverted or correct, I always have the habit to flick the stick around until it "clicks" in my brain. I wanted to ask everyone and see if anyone else does it too, where you had to shove the stick around so you get the "feel" of the camera, before you continue the path?

This habit of mine, made me realize I'm more flexible with the control schemes, and that it is possible I can accommodate with a lot of various input control schemes for various controllers.

FlanjeUK

Apr 20, 2019
rLJTq.png
This image makes no logical sense, if that's how it works then pushing the analog stick left and right would just make your head lean not turn/pan and there would need to be a third axis input to turn/pan the camera left and right...

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
So im a weird case. I play inverted with mouse and keyboard but when i play controller I play standard. Just something about inverted on controller i cant grasp.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Always used inverted.
I flew Cessna 140's before 3D mouse look and analogue sticks on controllers was a thing in video games.

Pulling back on the yoke always means go up. So of course that translates directly to pulling back on the analog stick to look up.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I don't remember there being a distinct switching over to inverted Y-axis so I assume it was always there from playing flight games like Chuck Yeager or the like. I only even distinctly remember knowing I played inverted come the 360/PS3 era. Before that, I must have had to change it to Inverted but for some reason, probably because the 360 had a system-level option and that stuck out to me, I don't remember specifically doing so. There must have been games in the past that didn't allow for the inversion of Y, so were unplayable to me but those are lost to the mists of time.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
rLJTq.png

people have already pointed it out but this is really nonsensical unless you also invert X, which you don't, because inverting is a habit, not a logical conclusion.

play however you want, I hope all games have options for X and Y, but when people act like this is the logical way to play with this argument I don't get it.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Y-axis inverted. I think it comes from playing flight simulators at an early age.

X-axis inverted is demented and I refuse to believe anyone in the real world use it.
Right here is the reason. Played lots of flight simulator as a kid so it basically ingrained it into my brain. The only time I don't use it is for IR/gyro aiming since it's one to one motion.

FearonDuve

Feb 22, 2020
Don't remember when I changed it but must of been an early teenager. Since then I have always played inverted, it probably was from golden eye and then onto halo and cod from there and all is ancient history now.

Big Tex

Oct 28, 2017
Inverted for life. Its the way I naturally started playing when I first got a joystick (Flight Simulator 4.0) and it hasnt stopped since. I am also raising my kids to play the RIGHT way.

Chubnasty

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
For inverted folk, how does inverted pulling down to look up work with your brain on PC gaming? Like FPS shooters when you move the mouse up to look up?

Torian

Aug 16, 2019
First game I played where you had vertical controls was wing commander 1. Since then the scheme has been eched into my brain.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I started on the correct path and have never strayed from it. The path of inversion will lead to enlightenment while the path of normal only leads to ignorance and despair.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
I use x-inverted in third person games that do not have free shooter aim (so something like dark souls I use x-inverted but something like uncharted I do not). I flip flop between them fairly easily. There's a weird funk period for a few minutes but past that it doesn't take me long to adjust.

Always Y-inverted though.

For inverted folk, how does inverted pulling down to look up work with your brain on PC gaming? Like FPS shooters when you move the mouse up to look up?

Using a mouse to point and click on a screen is fundamentally different from a stick.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Only game I've ever played inverted with was Resident Evil 4 (the original). It just felt better. And weirdly I switched to normal when I played RE5.

Oct 27, 2017
Always Y inverted. This was the normal control scheme back in the day. I recently played an indie game called Sagebrush and it did not have an option for inverting the controls. I grinned and beared the 1-2 hour game and after I was done, I tried playing Doom Eternal and my mind kept playing tricks on me. It took me a few hours to get my muscle memory back. Never again.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
Inverted Y axis as far back as I can remember. I don't know where it started, but I think the earliest console FPS's Had inverted by default. I even play inverted Y on mouse. Every one of my real life friends think I'm weird.