• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Or did you migrate from the Sad Place? How long had you been playing video games before you finally saw the light?

Is anyone able to switch between inverted and non-inverted at will? Should anyone even have such power? Have you changed out of laziness because a friend, family member or lover used different settings when you were playing together?

Personally I most likely played both inverted and non-inverted for several years before I started becoming comfortable enough with controls that I had any opinion of how it should be. I vaguely remember a situation where I was very unsure if I preferred one or the other. I think I finally settled on inverted at around 13-14. when read 3D first person shooters started becoming mainstream, most likely because I used to play flight simulator at a very early age.

FYI: This thread is approved by the Vertical gang. Horizontal inverts are not allowed in this thread. Thank you.

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
I tried univerted on the first Halo at a Gamestop back in the days, it was a horrible experience.
Also can we have this as a cover image:
rLJTq.png

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Can't play a game on a controller unless it has the option to invert the y-axis (thank you Flight Simulator and Descent back in the 90s). I've tried going back to regular and while I can do it, the 25+ years of me going inverted y-axis is hard to ignore. Some games screw me up now like Star Fox 64 and KH3 Gummi Ship traveling but otherwise invert y-axis always.

PC using mouse and keyboard I'm normal y-axis since I have free range of motion to look around and it makes sense to me.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have always played inverted. Goes back to the early PC days. I can switch it up, but it isn't a smooth transition.

rarewolf

Feb 7, 2019
Always. Goldeneye really cemented it for me. Also had experience on early flight sims back in the day though.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
I'm inverted for life. BUT if there's a game with a targeting reticule separate from your vehicle (Panzer Dragoon, Rez, Star Fox) I'm ok with up being up.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I play inverted, because the oldest PC FPS games I played that supported flight sticks were inverted. Games like Descent and Terminal Velocity drilled inverted controls into my brain.

Deleted member 4852

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or did you migrate from the Sad Place? How long had you been playing video games before you finally saw the light?

Is anyone able to switch between inverted and non-inverted at will? Should anyone even have such power? Have you changed out of laziness because a friend, family member or lover used different settings when you were playing together?

Personally I most likely played both inverted and non-inverted for several years before I started becoming comfortable enough with controls that I had any opinion of how it should be. I vaguely remember a situation where I was very unsure if I preferred one or the other. I think I finally settled on inverted at around 13-14. when read 3D first person shooters started becoming mainstream, most likely because I used to play flight simulator at a very early age.

FYI: This thread is approved by the Vertical gang. Horizontal inverts are not allowed in this thread. Thank you.
I had a weird situation where I learned to play inverted due to some nes games and i continued playing like that for awhile. It was the only way I could play effectively until one day recently, I had trouble playing a FPS and I switched back regular controls and I cant go back to inverted,

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried univerted on the first Halo at a Gamestop back in the days, it was a horrible experience.
Also can we have this as a cover image:
rLJTq.png
That's how I see and my dad was a pilot with a flight stick controller back in early 90s with Descent and Flight Simulator (the first one)

Why should I be ashamed? I am proudly inverted and I don't care if you don't like it! No one here should have to explain themselves for preferring inverted control on the Y axis.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Always. Goldeneye really cemented it for me. Also had experience on early flight sims back in the day though.
Yep, Goldeneye is where I first learned inverted Y-axis on FPS was the only thing that felt right, never looked back. It's such a jarring feeling when I start up a new game and forget to switch to inverted.

OP
OP
Truant

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I'm inverted for life. BUT if there's a game with a targeting reticule separate from your vehicle (Panzer Dragoon, Rez, Star Fox) I'm ok with up being up.

I guess I'm the same? I remember the reticule in Man of Medan was bugged, so that it was also inverted if you inverted the camera.

Also, does anyone use different settings on MB+K than a controller?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I always did. Old flying games, which used to be much more popular and predated quake by many years.

gamer forever

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
When i was younger i could only play inverted, but in the last few years i can only play non-inverted - how does this happen?

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
I've been inverted for as long as I can remember. That's 25+ years of gaming. There's no switching for me at this point. I can't use non-inverted for more than a few minutes. Pretty remarkable to hear about people who can adjust to different camera settings like it's nothing.

Deleted member 20852

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've always played inverted. Might be due to starting my 3D gaming with flight simulators back in the day!

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I can do both but I hate pushing up and the camera goes down for that first time.. "oh, its this control style." Change it if I can but it doesn't overly offend me.

reminds me of how persona 5 Royal's map is always inverted horizontally so it's a little weird pulling up the map and getting switched between control schemes.

Oct 29, 2017
If you were a Nintendo kid, you grew up on playing your games inverted (AKA, correct).

If you were a SEGA kid however? Backwards was the name of the game!

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, and it was the default on most N64 and PC games, and makes the most logical and ergonomic sense.

Gyro removes the stick/mouse abstraction, your wrist muscles are now the 'stick'.
It feels like it's a combination of slight wrist + fingers/thumbs. Holding my controller now I noticed I push my thumbs down on my Steam Controller (which has a high bump near the thumbs so your thumbs could rest comfortably down towards the touch pads) which causes the front of the controller, with support from my fingers to tilt up. To tilt down, my pinky and the finger next to it on both hands push the controller handles up causing a reverse tilt that point the controller down.

f96iVN1.jpg

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Can't play a game on a controller unless it has the option to invert the y-axis (thank you Flight Simulator and Descent back in the 90s). I've tried going back to regular and while I can do it, the 25+ years of me going inverted y-axis is hard to ignore. Some games screw me up now like Star Fox 64 and KH3 Gummi Ship traveling but otherwise invert y-axis always.

PC using mouse and keyboard I'm normal y-axis since I have free range of motion to look around and it makes sense to me.
I play inverted, because the oldest PC FPS games I played that supported flight sticks were inverted. Games like Descent and Terminal Velocity drilled inverted controls into my brain.
Yep, Descent was the bomb in the 90s, and the whole space combat genre was still alive and well. Coming from a flight stick, inverted makes the most sense.

Sporran

May 21, 2018
A 45 Yr old and played games default my whole life, tried inverted and the brain went mad. That was until NMS came out for some bizarre reason playing it normal made me feel sick, so I inverted and whilst not 100% stuck at it. Few years later never gone back am an inverted bitch and hammering through MW2 on Vet!

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
All my childhood, I played with my controller upside down (yes, really, with D-Pad on the right and buttons on the left, I was playing with inverted directions for years). It wasn't until the PSOne that I played with my controller the right way. Took me a while to adjust. It's weird how the brain can be wired to do some things.

So, not exactly what this topic is about, but this memory sprung to mind when I read the title. As far as the actual topic goes, I don't mind either way, although I prefer inverted controls.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Couldn't hardly aim in Luigi's Mansion as it wouldn't let me invert the aim, not sure if they patched it. Inverted is hardwired in my brain.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I dont know if it counts.
But ive been inverted since analogue sticks were a thing.

But the first console shooter I played was Quake III Arena......I wasnt playing inverted.
It didnt really make sense on this thing:
1200px-Sega_Dreamcast_Controller_%28PAL%29.png

Oct 29, 2017
Always played Y inverted. It just makes sense to my brain.

I used to play with X inverted too because that's how FF12 and some other PS2 JRPGs defaulted. I forced myself to learn un-inverted X on the first Gears of War.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
Always inverted. I don't know why but I would guess it has something to do with flying simulators (if you can call them simulators) on Amiga. I got F/A-18 Interceptor with my Amiga, though weirdly I always remember the title being Strike Eagle but that seems to be completely different game. In any case F/A-18 Interceptor had pretty powerful jet engine sound back then!

Worth nothing that I don't really have any desire to play flight simulators, never did, but it's what I had. Now space simulators on the other hand...

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth that's Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
First console fps i played were back on the n64 which defaulted to inverted, so i have been playing inverted (the right way and alpha way) since then.

the_kaotek1

Oct 25, 2017
I played elite in the early 80s and it had inverted controls, so yeah from the start. I can't with normal controls, like not at all. Weirdly though on PC I don't invert on mouse.

Oct 27, 2017
I play inverted, have done as long as I can remember. Cut my teeth mainly on TIE Fighter on the PC in the 90s and I cannot play any other way now. For me it makes sense because it's replicating how the back/neck/body moves, whereas some people seem to think of it like the eyes. I wonder how much the inverted debate is drawn across generational lines, with younger players being non-inverted.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I can't play inverted on a controller but play first person games with a mouse like that. I started doing it back in QuakeWorld days and found it felt more natural to me.

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I can play either but the first FPS games I played were inverted by default so that's just my default position too.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I play inverted when you Hand me a thumbs tick Controller - I am not sure where it comes from, presumably from early contact with simulation games and throttle. Or perhaps from Jet Force Geminis default controls? It is really hard to say.

I play with a mouse uninvertre though

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly can't remember. I remember playing inverted with Quake 2, but I don't know if I did in the first Quake or Duke Nukem 3D.

Of course, I played inverted in like... the old combat flight sims I used to play and Wing Commander.
But even today, like I play inverted with mouse and right analog stick if it's something that controls the camera and not just a cursor on screen (Panzer Dragoon, for example, I play non-inverted), but if I aim with the left stick like in RE4, then I'll play non-inverted. I'm not sure why that is.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I dont know if it counts.
But ive been inverted since analogue sticks were a thing.

But the first console shooter I played was Quake III Arena......I wasnt playing inverted.
It didnt really make sense on this thing:
1200px-Sega_Dreamcast_Controller_%28PAL%29.png
I also played a lot of Quake III Arena on the Dreamcast on a 56K modem. I didn't have a decent PC to play online shooters on, so I was blissfully unaware of what an absolutely shit version I was playing lol. Had tons of fun with it.

It was always super obvious when someone joined with a mouse and keyboard. You were like fish in a barrel. No chance. Luckily it was not common.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I also played a lot of Quake III Arena on the Dreamcast on a 56K modem. I didn't have a decent PC to play online shooters on, so I was blissfully unaware of what an absolutely shit version I was playing lol. Had tons of fun with it.

It was always super obvious when someone joined with a mouse and keyboard. You were like fish in a barrel. No chance. Luckily it was not common.

The Quake III Arena port to Dreamcast is arguably the greatest console port of all time....Doom and The Witcher to switch come close.....but nah Quake was otherworldly.

I will not let you slander the game that really got me to play online shooters seriously.
You can imagine how much of a nerd I became because I also got Phantasy Star Online at the same time.....I basically became a recluse.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Similar story here. But it was a friend of mine who had a PC with a flight stick. I had a Sega Mega Drive, and eventually a PSOne (before sticks) so grew up with controllers using just buttons. Got used to inverted stick controls on my friend's PC. When sticks came to console controllers, inverted was just the obvious choice to me!

Feb 15, 2018
I had been playing inverted y axis for about 35 years. That a was a until about a month ago when I purchased Dreams. Many of the games in there did not accommodate for inverted controls so I adapted. Now I no longer invert controls unless it's for a flight game (AC7 being the only example so far). it took about 2 weeks before it felt completely natural.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
I think I always played inverted, because the first 3d games I played were 3d flight sims on the amiga with a competition pro stick.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y-axis inverted. I think it comes from playing flight simulators at an early age.

X-axis inverted is demented and I refuse to believe anyone in the real world use it.