• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
20fbc108-3d04-411a-bb16-1a8f15033bd3-ichiban-3.png

In the 15 years since its debut on the PlayStation 2, it has defied the packageable soundbite to help sell the idea in the west, widening the gap with the series' runaway success in Japan. The pitch, a semi-open world mob drama that flip-flops between serious and silly and steeps itself in Japanese culture over multiple games and crisscrossing narratives, had a difficult time translating to American sensibilities.

Publisher Sega seemed ready to give up on localizing the titles for good as each new release trended downward in sales by the end of the PlayStation 3's lifecycle.

On the precipice of a new generation, the Yakuza series' fortunes have been reversed. The series is more critically and commercially successful than ever in the west, thanks in no small part to the skillful localization efforts that have bought the games a new lease on life.

The critical and commercial reaction to Yakuza 0 changed a lot of mindsets at Sega and overwhelmed the calendars at Sega of America. Suddenly, Yakuza was not just something they do every so often — now, Yakuza was a priority. According to Stebel, the publisher was looking toward its localization branch in hopes of doing more with Yakuza and doing it quickly.

"Sega of Japan and the RGG studio [Ryu Ga Gotoku is the Japanese name of the Yakuza series, and translates roughly to "Like a Dragon"] team really started trusting our team more and more with the localization process. We just wanted to get western fans caught up," Stebel explains.

While the series has certainly been more successful than ever, there are still hurdles left to overcome in the west.

"We've essentially added two audio languages, five text languages to subtitle tracks, and we're launching on five platforms at the same time," Strichart begins, "so the next thing that has to happen in order to grow the franchise is simultaneous shipping. We can't sit around and wait to launch a title like six to nine months after the Japanese release and expect it to have the same kind of impact."

Strichart notes that this is going to require significant cooperation with the Japanese studio and completely readjusting timelines, but believes that's the inevitable next step for the series.

www.inverse.com

'Yakuza: Like a Dragon' might never have happened without 'Yakuza 0'

'Yakuza: Like a Dragon' takes the franchise in a bold new direction, but that never could have happened without 'Yakuza 0.' Here's why.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Sony really made dreams come true this gen. Can't believe we're in a timeline where Yakuza is so big now. It's amazing.

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
I can certainly say that Yakuza 0 was the game that got me interested in the franchise and is the main reason I'm going with Like a Dragon as my Series X launch title. I haven't played 1-6 yet, but I intend to eventually. 0 was a great jumping on point, and Like a Dragon seems like another one.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
#BuildingTheList specifically is what gave Yakuza a new lease of life in Western territories. It was a dream come true to see Yakuza 5 announced on stage after years of non-activity from the franchise.

ejo

Oct 27, 2017
Hawaii
if it weren't for yakuza 0 i don't think i would have gotten so into this franchise. thank you based sony.

Oct 27, 2017
So it was as we thought, Sony had to step in to make it happen.

Some people on here were sure Sega magically decided to make it happen.

Gio Corsi is awesome.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It was clear it's been the long term goal but cool to see them mention simultaneous releases.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza 0 was were a ton of people I knew got interested in the series after never even thinking about the games for years.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Really glad Sony stuck with the Yakuza series.

And it's also why I'm miffed that the PS5 version is delayed.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Y0 is the almost the entire kitchen sink approach of incorporating the best stuff of the games that came before it but actually refined. The most fun the dev team seems to have had, still think a Y0-2 is in the cards enough blank spaces to fill in.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Building The List made all the difference, that was an exciting time. I remember back in 2014 in the first PSX my absolute elation to see that Yakuza 5 was coming to the west, I know it wasn't a big hit but it mattered.

And then the following year with Yakuza 0 being announced for a western release, it was the perfect primer for western audiences who only had word of mouth from hardcore fans of the series previously.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza rising from the ashes in the West was one of the best things to happen this past generation. Hopefully it continues into the future.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
So without Sony really pushing for a localization for Yakuza 0 we would be living in a different timeline.

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't own a PS2 so missed Yakuza 1 and 2. I was never going to join the series mid way through 3, 4 or 5. I kept hearing good things about the series and wanted to jump in. I was annoyed that the Wii U ports of 1 and 2 didn't come over west.

0 was my moment to jump in and it's been a phenomenal experience playing all the way through to Yakuza 6 on PS4. I paced out playing through 0, kiwami and kiwami 2 so that just as I finished 2 I could roll into the PS4 versions of 3, 4 and 5.

Playing though all those games over the last 7 months has been a lovely escape.

If 0 hadn't been so good, I don't know if I'd have marathoned the rest so quickly.

Now I'm trying to 100% the Xbox versions on gamepass and Yakuza 7 is the only Series X launch game I'm definitely buying.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The localization for Zero is really amazing. Haven't played the others yet, but if they're at that level, it'll be a treat.
Also, super glad the series came to PC. Wouldn't have gotten to play it otherwise. Hopefully 3-6 to follow suit!

Jackpot2027

Aug 1, 2018
That's why i don't get why the Ps5 version comes later, and why they didn't bother with cross save with ps4.

The biggest community of Yakuza(by far) is on PS.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Well thanks Sony for keeping the series alive and thus making it spread to other platforms as well. I've yet to play Kiwami 2 on steam but I'm looking forward to it.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Good to see the success of the series in the west. If Scott's team somehow manage simultaneous shipping, that would be amazing!

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Hardly ideal but when will players on other consoles and PC get to play the remasters and Judgment? PS players are hardly the poor cousins in this.
The difference here is that Judgment and remasters weren't simultaneous multiplat releases that just omitted one platform. Up to that point the series was mostly just a PS exclusive.

It's not the same situation with Y7 being a multiplat release with only the PS5 version coming out at a later date.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I played the original back on PS2 but bailed on the game when I couldn't max out my friendship with Haruka (lol, I know).

I just got back into the series with 0 which I'm playing right now (I'm on the last chapter) and the game is beyond good, and the localization is straight up amazing. Can't wait to slowly play my way through all the games.

Oct 27, 2017
The difference here is that Judgment and remasters weren't simultaneous multiplat releases that just omitted one platform. Up to that point the series was mostly just a PS exclusive.

It's not the same situation with Y7 being a multiplat release with only the PS5 version coming out at a later date.

So you'd have been happier if Y7 had been a complete exclusive.

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017
So you'd have been happier if Y7 had been a complete exclusive.
What are you even talking about lol

You compared things that aren't in the same situation. What does that have anything to do with making Y7 full exclusive? Do you believe that RGG was making PC and Xbox versions of all Yakuza games all these years and everytime Sony showed up with a deal to make the games Sony exclusives or something?

Cause that's how your argument sounds like.

Oct 27, 2017
Building The List made all the difference, that was an exciting time. I remember back in 2014 in the first PSX my absolute elation to see that Yakuza 5 was coming to the west, I know it wasn't a big hit but it mattered.

And then the following year with Yakuza 0 being announced for a western release, it was the perfect primer for western audiences who only had word of mouth from hardcore fans of the series previously.
Getting Yakuza 5 was one of the most hype things ever. Then the next year they announced that 0 was coming was even more hype. Then the next event after that they announced Kiwami 1 and 6... By then I just couldn't believe how dreams were actually happening.

What an amazing time that was. I was so happy.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
No surprise about the Sony thing, 5 at least was super dead until they came along. Of course, (not having read the article fully yet) I'm still curious as to why Sega greenlit 0 over here before 5 was released (as 0 got announced for localisation a week before 5 was actually released on PS3 digitally). Just wondering what pushed Sega over the edge for that.

And really, although this thread unsurprisingly already has devolved into whining about the PS5 version of 7, it can't be said enough how the localisations have definitely stepped up several notches this gen for the series. Back in the days of the PS3, it was a revelation how 4 ended up fixing many of the prior issues with the series and all that did was changing a couple of names back and not cutting content like 3. And now you look at the likes of Judge Eyes and 7 which, aside from truly having no cut content (including the licensed music, which actually remains in the games these days), you also have dual subtitles, more languages supported, English dub with actual effort put into it (including Karaoke) and the series actually getting a spotlight from platform providers. Oh, and games not released years after the Japanese release, can't forget about that.

I look forward to replaying 7 again in March when it hits PS5, it still remains my unchallenged GOTY (though GoT definitely came close in places, 7 had the better plot and characters... and lip synching).

I played the original back on PS2 but bailed on the game when I couldn't max out my friendship with Haruka (lol, I know).
It was that damn baseball challenge wasn't it?! Because that one almost drove me mad a few months back when I was in the process of plat'ing the HD remaster of 1 but <points to avatar> I managed it in the end!

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I can never be enough thankful that Sony helped resurrect the franchise in the west.

Yakuza is bar-none one of my top 5 gaming franchises right now.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Absolutely incredible to see the series thrive in the West like this. Thanks to Y0, it went from being a series I had barely ever heard of to one of my favorites of all time

Put Kiryu in Smash

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt Sony gives a toss one way or the other. It certainly feels like a hale and hearty fuck you to the fanbase that helped them get this far though.
Well, I doubt the localisation team had much say in any plans to release the PS5 version later, that's probably thanks to RGGS head honchos in Japan. And since the game has been out all year over there, I can't imagine they really thought it through but rather took the deal (assuming there even was one) and ran with it. Things would probably be different if they tried pulling the same stunt but making the Asian fanbase (which still makes up the largest share of the fanbase) wait as well. The reaction would not be pretty.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Thank Gio. As a Yakuza fan early on, shit was painful. Incredible to see the series successful here now.

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what sort of reaction we'll get if the next Yakuza game is also console timed exclusive on XSX. Especially if they do simultaneous worldwide release on everything but PS5 in the west.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
As I understand from one of the SoA Yakuza streams they said is that Sega had plans to release Yakuza 0 in the West without releasing 5 beforehand - like they did in other Southeast Asian countries

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what sort of reaction we'll get if the next Yakuza game is also console timed exclusive on XSX. Especially if they do simultaneous worldwide release on everything but PS5 in the west.
That would be when RGG lose all support and respect I had for them. I was already feeling put off with the combat change, paid difficulty modes/new game+, so this would be the final nail in the coffin.

I don't think it will happen though.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Strichart begins, "so the next thing that has to happen in order to grow the franchise is simultaneous shipping. We can't sit around and wait to launch a title like six to nine months after the Japanese release and expect it to have the same kind of impact."

Strichart notes that this is going to require significant cooperation with the Japanese studio and completely readjusting timelines, but believes that's the inevitable next step for the series.
This is the really exciting part.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
As I understand from one of the SoA Yakuza streams they said is that Sega had plans to release Yakuza 0 in the West without releasing 5 beforehand - like they did in other Southeast Asian countries
Would make sense, especially what with the push for the remasters in later years more for those regions that missed out on the games, rather than Japan where they didn't sell all that much at all.

Jul 24, 2018
One thing I hope Sega takes away from Yakuza is how they do localization. Let's have a dub and a sub with the Japanese voices both along with the other language options for their other IPs too like Persona. I'd love it if more Japanese publishers did this.