• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

opiumtrader

Jun 29, 2018
Straight up I love how wholesome Korone is. I never thought I would be into vtubers but I have fallen deep into the rabbit hole since I first discovered her about a month ago.

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
General Pekora video is great, the way that the car explodes just after she talks is better than scripted

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
Lets get back on topic and keep talking about VTubers.

Can anybody recommend me some good clips? I've seen a little of Korone and Pikamee.
I found this clip of Coco and Matsuri reviewing reddit memes to be absolutely hilarious. Matsuri's laugh is so contagious when they say yamatekudastop and sorrymasen. Coco's weekly meme reviews are generally pretty funny.

Last edited:

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
As someone who isn't up to date with this stuff, that's the one I remember as well. What ever happened to her?
I stopped watching her videos a long time ago but I think what happened was that the company tried to replace her with many different voice actress and they were getting hated by her fans, then I think they started to aim for the chinese market and more people disliked that change, then the company basicall became Kizuna corp and she was / is? being overworked.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
I did not know the kind of hostility in some of the posts here was allowed on this forum. How does this work exactly? If this kind of hostility had occured towards users in any other kind of discussion, it would have been a thread filled with suspensions.

You have people calling users paedophiles because they watch virtual youtubers? Some of them are nearing the 1mil subscribers. I find it pretty disturbing how some of these posts are apparently just fine?

I have no proof for this but I've always gotten a feel that the moderation team on ERA embodies the weird anti-Japanese sentiment that is on this forum. Said sentiment is spawned from Japan being a much more conservative nation than the west. Which is worthy of criticism but I think ERA's scorched earth approach is enabling xenophobia on this forum.

Again I have no proof of this, it's just a feeling I get. Would love to be wrong and for ERA staff to actually action this bullshit in the thread.

ThatOneGuy831

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I get it that a number of v-tuber fans (and anime fans in general) can be weird/creepy, and some v-tuber stuff certainly plays into it a bit, but I don't think it's fair to lump everyone into one creep pile for liking some v-tuber content.

The reason I enjoy Korone's streams is the reason I like stuff like this:

For me it has the same energy. Literally I discovered Korone due to her Doom streams.

I also like the v-tuber Pikamee, who I can not see as being fan-service in anyway possible. Here is her most famous clip:

My favorite part about the Pikamee clip is her change in accent when she's trying to make sure that she heard what she thinks she heard lol.

SemRockwel

Oct 27, 2017
I have no proof for this but I've always gotten a feel that the moderation team on ERA embodies the weird anti-Japanese sentiment that is on this forum. Said sentiment is spawned from Japan being a much more conservative nation than the west. Which is worthy of criticism but I think ERA's scorched earth approach is enabling xenophobia on this forum.

Again I have no proof of this, it's just a feeling I get. Would love to be wrong and for ERA staff to actually action this bullshit in the thread.

From what I can tell, a lot of the issue seems to stem from the large prevalence of creepy otaku culture shit.

That stuff it legitimately awful and unfortunately it colors a lot of peoples perceptions of Japanese media.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
ENGLISH ONLY MARIO RUN!!!!!
Three seconds into the game: Let's go, amigo!

A4765908-07-DC-4-CB0-B02-B-9-A60894-B083-D.jpg

RRW

Oct 26, 2017
From what I can tell, a lot of the issue seems to stem from the large prevalence of creepy otaku culture shit.

That stuff it legitimately awful and unfortunately it colors a lot of peoples perceptions of Japanese media.

Yeah is media perception, to Non-US, American is probably soulless murder machine based on media and shooting news. We should not generalize entire country based on media exist there.

Back to the discussion, I am not surprised people disliking Vtuber, is not for everyone, but the reaction is very out there lol

probably 20-30 years old

V has come to

Dec 4, 2019
User Banned (1 Month): inflammatory generalization, history of the same
anyone who watches this shit should be on an FBI watchlist

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
I feel so out of the loop when people are just talking about this stuff or this character like everyone knows what/who it is. I'm someone who is subscribed to and regularly watches a whole bunch of Japanese Let's Play channels (弟者兄者/るな坊/ゆうな/ドミニク/etcetc) and I've not once heard about this or anything like it until today. Maybe it's more popular outside Japan than inside?? I'm just oblivious, I guess.
I had to google what Hololive and Kiryu Coco is and it seems like this is a whole thing, not just this one Korone channel.. Hmmm. Well, guess this is another side of the internet I've learned about today. Cool cool.
A lot of people already replied, but I felt like adding to the pile.

The vtuber company Hololive (and thus vtubers in general) began rising in popularity A LOT, begining around March-May. It was a mix of COVID lockdowns, AsaCoco, and translated clips. AsaCoco was a daily 'news' segment by Coco (a hololive vtuber). It was funny (attracted viewers), showcased other hololive vtubers (directed the attracted viewers where to go next), and would become subbed in many languaged (including english) about 12 hours after every release (attracting viewers worldwide, outside of Japan). People stuck in lockdown would see some funny clip, somehow catch AsaCoco, and find out they like x vtuber, and watch more clips and streams.

ANYWAYS, my specific point to you was that if you're a long time Japanese youtube fan, it's easy for you to miss something that only started exploding in popularity less than 6 months ago.

ReverseFate

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, someone needs to explain this virtual YouTuber thing to me. Is this an AI generated character with AI voices, or is this a person speaking behind a virtual avatar?

Arcia

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Okay, someone needs to explain this virtual YouTuber thing to me. Is this an AI generated character with AI voices, or is this a person speaking behind a virtual avatar?
It's a streamer who uses a virtual avatar. It's nice because it lets the streamer not have to reveal their face so their privacy is protected and they can play a character if they want (not all of them do that either).

sanhora

Oct 25, 2017
It's a streamer who uses a virtual avatar. It's nice because it lets the streamer not have to reveal their face so their privacy is protected and they can play a character if they want (not all of them do that either).
The other nice thing is that the streamer doesn't need to be conventionally attractive or look like a model.
Obviously you still need to be somewhat charismatic and/or have a voice that stands out if you want to become popular.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota

Came in to post this. It's a great way to protect the streamer because there are a few more layers between them and chat. Especially if they're going all in on being a character.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not into vtubers, but the amount of "NO FUN ALLOWED" in this thread is hilarious, yet also sad. People find different things funny/endearing. Get the fuck over it.

Capndrake

Oct 28, 2017
Crazy, I remember when she was num 1 in the vtuber world. How fast times change.
She's still got the most subs but she's kinda fallen out of the public eye a bit, I think? I barely ever hear anyone talk about her anymore. For me personally, the appeal of Hololive (and Nijisanji, but I don't watch them as often) is that since they're one big unit they collab with each other very frequently, making for lots of fun combinations of personalities. Kizuna Ai almost exclusively did solo streams and the vast majority of videos were also pre-recorded instead of live.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
You people are members of a video fame forum so you are all nerds. Stop calling other nerds that enjoy harmless things like this stuff like losers and weirdos.

People who do that are the real losers.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
This is too funny. I speak Japanese all day at work so seeing people go out of their comfort zone to speak a foreign language makes me happy.

ReverseFate

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The latter, real people using virtual avatars.

Ah okay, thanks for the clarification. It's interesting because I haven't really thought about the benefits of using a virtual avatar, especially given how toxic the internet can be.

Initially I was kinda creeped out by this, but weighing the benefits it does make a lot of sense. Shame on me for being so closed-minded at the initial impression.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
The other nice thing is that the streamer doesn't need to be conventionally attractive or look like a model.
Obviously you still need to be somewhat charismatic and/or have a voice that stands out if you want to become popular.
It's mostly having a strong screen presence and doing things that garner peoples' interest. Voice doesn't seem to be as much of a factor; Coco has a voice that most would not consider conventually attractive or even particularly feminine and yet she does pretty damn good for herself. Similarly, you have folks like Towa or Ange (from Nijisanji) who have unusually deep voices who are also beloved. And then you have a whole range of folks in the middle who don't stand out in any way in terms of vocal range or sound. Tsukino Mito, for example, has a very "everywoman" kind of voice and yet she's the top earner in Nijisanji.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
Ah okay, thanks for the clarification. It's interesting because I haven't really thought about the benefits of using a virtual avatar, especially given how toxic the internet can be.

Initially I was kinda creeped out by this, but weighing the benefits it does make a lot of sense. Shame on me for being so closed-minded at the initial impression.

It is a full job, some are working for agencies and are pretty much idols, some of them are also voice actress, small roles but some known.

sanhora

Oct 25, 2017
It's mostly having a strong screen presence and doing things that garner peoples' interest. Voice doesn't seem to be as much of a factor; Coco has a voice that most would not consider conventually attractive or even particularly feminine and yet she does pretty damn good for herself. Similarly, you have folks like Towa or Ange (from Nijisanji) who have unusually deep voices who are also beloved. And then you have a whole range of folks in the middle who don't stand out in any way in terms of vocal range or sound. Tsukino Mito, for example, has a very "everywoman" kind of voice and yet she's the top earner in Nijisanji.
I didn't say you need to have a conventionally attractive voice, just one that stands out.
Coco's voice definitely stands out when she's speaking Japanese, and the same goes for Towa and Ange. Mito is a bit of a special case in that she's one of Niji's pioneers and there wasn't exactly a lot of competition back then. If she were to debut today, I'm not sure she would get to where she is now.

I don't think it's a coincidence that all of the top holos (Pekora, Marine, Korone, Coco, Botan, Shark, etc.) have a fairly unique voice and tons of charisma.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
For those that really want to get into Korone but are looking for something not quite as energetic as the linked video, here's a (very) long translated clip from a few months back:

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say you need to have a conventionally attractive voice, just one that stands out.
Coco's voice definitely stands out when she's speaking Japanese, and the same goes for Towa and Ange. Mito is a bit of a special case in that she's one of Niji's pioneers and there wasn't exactly a lot of competition back then. If she were to debut today, I'm not sure she would get to where she is now.

I don't think it's a coincidence that all of the top holos (Pekora, Marine, Korone, Coco, Botan, Shark, etc.) have a fairly unique voice and tons of charisma.
I don't know, I'm listening to the most viewed vtubers right now and a number of them really don't stand out in terms of vocalization. Kanae in particular has a very typical male voice and he doesn't even attempt to do anything to make his "character" distinct. He's basically just playing himself, yet is the most-viewed male vtuber on the planet.

I really think it's down to entertainment factor. I mean, don't get me wrong, having a distinct voice probably helps, but what you do with that voice seems to count for significantly more judging by who's at the top.