• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
I appreciate the link. Says:
  • Must know how to do your taxes yourself
  • Does math; offers only basic guidance
Good luck to me next year! lol

every single form has instructions associated with it. this is the one for 1040 which applies to individuals. unless you have particularly complicated taxes or run a business or something then you will be able to do it. it doesn't require any kind of sophistication or anything, just some time and attention.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
TurboTax has me by the balls because they just let me use previous info to make everything faster... like I can get it done in 10mins (or used to)

I've been doing it on my phone for like hella years now.

gagewood

Oct 25, 2017
Intuit confirms that it is buying Credit Karma for $7.1B in cash and stock

The week is kicking off with a major piece of M&A in the world of financial technology startups. Today Intuit — the accounting, tax filing and financial planning software giant behind QuickBooks, TurboTax and Mint, confirmed that it plans to acquire Credit Karma — the fintech startup with more than 100 million registered users, 37 million of them active monthly users, which lets people check their credit scores, shop for credit cards and loans, file taxes and more. Intuit said it would pay $7.1 billion for Credit Karma, making this Intuit's biggest-ever acquisition to date, and one of the biggest in the category of privately-held fintech companies.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, damn it. I stopped using TurboTax and switched to Credit Karma last year so I wouldn't have to pay to file. The minute they try charging me is the minute I find somewhere else to do it.

RJeddy

Dec 4, 2017
Soooooo is anything out there fairly comparable (or secretly better) to Credit Karma right now?

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
I'm surprised people have a good impression of Credit Karma. Literally scammers selling your data via fear mongering. Intuit is shitty for their lobbying against free file but at least they sold software at some point in their existence. Credit Karma just sells your personal financial data to advertisers in exchange for nothing but building up fear

Intuit blows but credit karma is the worst of the worst. It's like Don Jr marrying that sleezeball

Nah Intuit is shit, you know why? They and H&R lobbied for 20+ years to stop the IRS from providing free prefilled filling like other modern countries under the argument it would eventually kill their industry

Fuck Intuit

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another big payday for a bunch of Bay Area peeps. Congrats to them, even if this is not my favorite news as a user of CK.

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't ....defending Intuit. They're both super shitty companies that take advantage of people financially.

Credit Karma has ran about 5 years of fear mongering commercials. They're providing you Jack shit -- an estimated credit score number which most people don't really need to knkw all the time -- in exchange for providing your private financial information to "partners" who have no responsibility to protect your information. They're the definition of surveillance capitalism but because they've run these bullshit "we're your friends!" Commercials on tv and the internet they've earned a positive reputation that they don't deserve. They're no better or no worse than FreeCreditScore 1800creditscore and all of the other scam companies that have made a business profiting off of sharing your financial information to shady partners.

Intuit is also shit but nobody defends Intuit. I'd be shocked it CreditKarma also doesn't lobby the government against making free file, given that they also sell a free tax filing software themselves.

To be fair though I've never used their scam tax software either so maybe that's better than the core product they've conned people into buying for the last 5ish years.

I've never spent a dime on credit karma, and they helped me raise my credit score and get lower rates.

Not totally sure what you mean by "conned into buying". I think most never spent a dime.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I've never spent a dime on credit karma, and they helped me raise my credit score and get lower rates.

Not totally sure what you mean by "conned into buying". I think most never spent a dime.

And yet, despite nobody spending a dime, they're somehow worth $7b........ :)

This was always their business plan. Get as much private financial data as possible, sell it to whoever is buying, and then cash out to a major personal finance company who now owns all of your data.

The foundation of the surveillance capitalism economy is people getting something and thinking it doesn't cost them anything because they're not paying money for it.

Oct 27, 2017

This was always their business plan. Get as much private financial data as possible, sell it to whoever is buying, and then cash out to a major personal finance company who now owns all of your data.

The foundation of the surveillance capitalism economy is people getting something and thinking it doesn't cost them anything because they're not paying money for it.

Yeah, all those people conned into buying facebook.

I dont give a shit about my data, so I guess you could say I conned them into giving me free, helpful services?

Mostly it's just really weird phrasing. If anything, I bartered with credit karma. The "con" part is what I object to most. 'No such thing as a free meal' is something we all hopefully learned many many years ago.

Last edited:

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017

To be fair, I think most people have an idea that CK is selling their data. I think they just don't really care. It's the same deal made for many other 'free' online services.

I haven't used the service in at least 5 or so years but people seem to love them and their tax stuff so it feels harsh to say they're conning people.