• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 8, 2017
I wonder if something like the CronosMAX would work with this to enable it to also work on PS4 and other conosles. More options are always a good thing.

NateSnacks

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Wow. People will be playing a console game for the first time.

Edit: Can this double as a fight stick?

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
This is awesome, the video had me tear up a little at the brothers scene. It still amazes me the power that gaming can have in someone's happiness. Congratulations for everyone involved, you just gained some humanity points.

Shawcroft

Oct 29, 2017
I remember reading some detailed write-ups about how limited mobility affects handling controllers in which most of us never even think about. It was pretty heavy.

So yeah, this is really cool. Actually putting that notion into motion and getting a controller out there. I imagine it'll probably be pricey and not exactly selling gangbusters, but giving people the option is an awesome move and I hope it at least gets some recognition if obviously not financial success.

hmqgg

Nov 1, 2017
"Our mission is empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more."

DireRaven

Oct 27, 2017
Kudos to all involved, hopefully 3rd party manufacturers (or even first party) will bring out similar devices for PS4, switch and PC :)

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
This is great, I hope it motivates companies to innovate more and help developers cater to everyone who wants to play.

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo should form a joint non-profit foundation to produce this controller & add-ons for all systems. It might save on some of the costs and get it in the hands of more gamers. Microsoft did some fantastic work with this.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very proud of the team for this :) So much great work that was done for this.

I know people whose life could quite literally change with a product like this. While I am personally lucky to not need such a product right now, I am incredibly glad you guys pushed through such a project that admittedly will not generate a lot of money, but will do marvels in terms of the accessibility that so many companies talk about but rarely actually work on properly. Our most used devices nowadays, smartphones, are pretty much not made with disabilities in mind at all, for example. It's fantastic that a product like this will soon release, the more people we can bring into gaming (again, in some cases) the better. Seriously, kudos.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
This is seriously amazing work on Microsoft's part. It's even more impressive considering this was probably a hefty R&D sum going into what is probably a relatively small market. Really hope the other hardware manufacturers follow suit.

The GOAT

Nov 2, 2017
This is pretty amazing. Awesome that they are open to sharing the tech too. Good work, Microsoft!

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
Honestly full hats off to Microsoft, anything that provides additional gaming to people that need the extra accessibility options gets a big thumbs up. There should def be more options on the market for controllers like this.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
Anyone know if this controller will allow you to simulate tapping a button over and over by just holding a button down? My brother's condition is getting worse and he can barely play A Way Out due to those tapping moments.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is seriously impressive. This seems like (some of) the fruit from the processes Spencer spoke about with regards to MSFT changing its core values after Nadella took over. Really considerate and inclusive step. I really hope other manufacturers follow suit and take Spencer up on the offer to use the design and technology.

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
It's likely a design choice made with accessibility in mind. I imagine it's much more sensible to offer a device with a built-in rechargeable battery in this case, rather than expecting someone with limited use of their hands to replace AA batteries. I prefer removable batteries, of course, but it makes sense for Microsoft to take this approach with a product like this. I wouldn't necessarily expect Microsoft to switch entirely to rechargeable batteries for all of its controllers going forward, though.
Oh I know, I was just surprised that designing a controller around accessibility like this is finally what pushed them towards its inclusion for once. Because honestly a controller like this really benefits from it too.

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
This is really great stuff. I had no clue those different controllers even existed. Really good on MS for doing this. :)

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly great to see game companies beginning to put more of an effort towards assisting disabled gamers. I hope we see Nintendo and Sony also put out something similar so less and less are gated from enjoying gaming

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
I really hope Nintendo and Sony reach out to Microsoft about adapting their own versions based on this one.
From the award article

> "I will never turn this into a Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft [competitive] thing," head of Xbox Phil Spencer said at the event. "Anybody, literally anybody who wants to learn from the work we've done here—or even try to do more than that with the work we've done here—I'm completely open to that. it doesn't have to have an Xbox logo on it. Let's just allow more people to play."

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow this was really touching. The fact that microsoft is putting effort into allowing all kind of gamers to do what they love is just awe inspiring. Excellent job microsoft. Mad props and respect for this

ShiftyHermit

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely amazing. Really awesome that they spent so much time developing this for people with disabilities.

Major Kudos Xbox Division

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know if this controller will allow you to simulate tapping a button over and over by just holding a button down? My brother's condition is getting worse and he can barely play A Way Out due to those tapping moments.
Hopefully it will!

Have you considered writing Hazelight to see if they can support a "hold button to simulate continuous tapping" accessibility option to the game? Naughty Dog had this option in their last few games, IIRC, if Hazelight wants to see a working design implementation.

Last edited:

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely fantastic job Microsoft!

You should definitely address the devs directly. Many recent games that have QTE's that require you to hammer a certain button (Uncharted, GoW) have accessibility settings where the tapping can be changed to just holding the button. Should be easy to patch in. - or maybe it isn't ... not a dev. But worth a shot!

Magicraft

Dec 1, 2017
Amazing product. As a hardcore gamer I would feel incredibly sad if, for some reason I couldn't play games anymore due to an accident or something. With this controller, not anymore!

Kudos to Microsoft.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely fantastic job Microsoft!

You should definitely address the devs directly. Many recent games that have QTE's that require you to hammer a certain button (Uncharted, GoW) have accessibility settings where the tapping can be changed to just holding the button. Should be easy to patch in. - or maybe it isn't ... not a dev. But worth a shot!

I think this should be the next step, accessibility options in games themselves. Grab a controller now and games seem to need every button, have options to cut down button use. I think the auto drive and steer options in MK8 are great for example.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
This is truly fantastic. Really heart warming videos too.
I feel like, this is great for anybody who feels uncomfortable with a controller as well - might ease everyone into gaming.

Deleted member 30935

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Man, I got a little teary eyed watching that. Amazing design. Really hope others follow suit, though this being Microsoft branded means it probably will work with Steam, so that's already a ton of ground covered in terms of library size.