• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
What an incredible idea. Kudos to Microsoft. Hope this makes gaming as accessible as possible.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if you could hook up a mouse and keyboard to this. That would help me out a lot. Current controllers, especially with my right hand, are kind of challenging. The most comfortable controller is the Xbox One/Elite for me, but holding a mouse, which is way fatter, in my right hand, and moving with my arm instead of my thumb, would help a lot.

Oct 29, 2017
Looks amazing, supporting so many add-ons that way seems like a great way to make it easy to have a really custom controller. I hope this can help out a lot of people

Deleted member 16576

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is seriously awesome. I'm really glad that companies are taking accessibility seriously. One area that could be expanded on would be a way for gamers to monitor their console and game usage for mental health reasons. Recently, at Google I/O, Google put a huge emphasis on Device Wellbeing with features in the next version of Android to track app usage and tools to limit the use their smartphones if they so desire. Having a way to implement these things into video game consoles could be a great next step toward accessibility and would also allow for deeper and more personal parental controls.

All in all, I'm just excited that as the industry has grown, accessibility has been a major focus. Makes me happy.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
This is awesome. Congrats to the team, and everyone who play tested and provided feedback for creating this. Hope this is just another step of many yet to come for increasing gaming accessibility.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Is this the first first-party Xbox controller with a built-in rechargeable battery?
It's likely a design choice made with accessibility in mind. I imagine it's much more sensible to offer a device with a built-in rechargeable battery in this case, rather than expecting someone with limited use of their hands to replace AA batteries. I prefer removable batteries, of course, but it makes sense for Microsoft to take this approach with a product like this. I wouldn't necessarily expect Microsoft to switch entirely to rechargeable batteries for all of its controllers going forward, though.

Spine_Ripper

Oct 25, 2017
This is awesome and I really hope other companies follow suit. I work retail and every once in a while, I get a customer asking for these sort of devices. Always sucked telling them that they had to get their solution online. Big respect points to MS for this.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Wow, that is mind blowingly awesome. The controller is a lot better than just the image made it out to be.

Congrats to anyone involved in this. You truly rock!

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Great news, something that should be adopted in similar products across companies. Very inventive and amazing for anyone who struggles with using a regular controller.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Aside from the obvious benefit of helping disabled people, the controller design is great. Looks like some teenage engineering device.

DdX6y6AXcAEqO4l.jpg:large

DdX_UkBUwAAr6Fn.jpg

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
Aside from the obvious benefit of helping disabled people, the controller design is great. Looks like some teenage engineering device.

DdX6y6AXcAEqO4l.jpg:large

DdX_UkBUwAAr6Fn.jpg
Looks clean, durable and reflects the style of the brand and console perfectly. Overall yet another piece of fantastic hardware from Xbox. They have been on an absolute tear after the OG Xbox One.

Cannon_Fodder

Oct 27, 2017
So, so great to see. Hopefully Microsoft starts a bit of a movement here and other companies develop accessibility controllers too.

Oct 29, 2017
Is it bad that I still want to buy it even at that price? Just to support this kind of technological advancement. I don't even need the controller at all. This is an awesome idea from Microsoft.
It seems kind of hacker friendly. If it outputs signals of a regular controller I can see people making unique set ups for Games. I see a new Steel Battalion Controller being home made with this.

Oct 27, 2017
This is fantastic! Great for accessibility as well as...

So many possibilities can come out of this. I am already envisioning fabricated cockpits with custom bottom placements.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if you could hook up a mouse and keyboard to this. That would help me out a lot. Current controllers, especially with my right hand, are kind of challenging. The most comfortable controller is the Xbox One/Elite for me, but holding a mouse, which is way fatter, in my right hand, and moving with my arm instead of my thumb, would help a lot.
Have you looked into XIM? You can use a keyboard/gameboard, PS3 Nav controller, a joystick, or the left half of any supported controller you own in your left hand, and a mouse in your right.

I've actually played a handful of 3D games with just my left hand, using my XIM4 and a Logitech G13 (which has an analog stick on the side, that can be used for either left or right analog inputs)

Last edited:

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Very, very nice to see this out there for those who need it.

And admittedly I was really curious to see how it'd work beyond that core controller as I knew that couldn't be it and everyone has different needs. Looks like you could have your own add ons made? Either by yourself for another, or from Microsoft themselves certainly.

desu

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely fantastic, also great about opening this up to others!

So the ball is in Sony's court now (sorry, just kidding). I do hope that they will follow though, it seems like a fantastic device.

Nathan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
France
Ah nice, I was waiting for the trailer since I saw the leak. Very interesting, and like some people said already, you can connect extensions and such. Very good job from MS

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
It's fucking beautiful how customizable it is. Glad to see a first party step up like this.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Some great pics here

There is already such a range of devices on Xbox with the controller, the elite with paddles, arcade sticks, mouse converters, and now this.

Accessibility to all is far worth the price for anyone worrying about loosing the 'level' play field of all on the same input, we're not playing esports.

It's just such a cool think, like Kinect was doing all kinds of crazy things on PC this looks like it will do the same with how the inputs work for some amazing rigs.

Just fantastic stuff from MS here.

bobeth

Oct 28, 2017
That's crazy! Kudos to Microsoft for this. It looks very nice, on top of everything!

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is absolutely incredible. Really impressed with what MS is doing this gen.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
this is is a smart move on so many levels. I am 100% glad they did this, long overdo. big question does sony fallow? its kinda a bad look if they dont. its the right thing to do, even though its not a profitable move.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
At first announcement I was worried it would be just a touchpad, so I'm really happy to see the actual implementation. This is an amazing stuff and tho I'm surprised it took so long to someone make a controller like this, I'm glad it exists now. Speaking as a designer, that's the kind of project we all should strive for, and microsoft's team should be very proud.

I hope the pricetag is not so high because, honestly, these accessories might be a bit hard to gather depending on what the player will need :s