• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017

Create a custom controller experience that is uniquely yours. The Xbox Adaptive Controller connects to external switches, buttons, mounts, and joysticks to help make gaming more accessible. Learn more at http://xbox.com/adaptive-controller.

Really cool idea. I wonder how many of these they are gonna produce.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
My massive hands-on feature is live at Ars. I went last week to test it out and interview a few folks, including Phil.

"I will never turn this into a Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft [competitive] thing," head of Xbox Phil Spencer said at the event. "Anybody, literally anybody who wants to learn from the work we've done here—or even try to do more than that with the work we've done here—I'm completely open to that. it doesn't have to have an Xbox logo on it. Let's just allow more people to play."

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...wer-to-the-tricky-world-of-accessible-gaming/

Primeau31

Nov 18, 2017
This is really great, kudos Microsoft.

Slight OT, isn't this a weird time to announce this? 1am on the east coast US here.

VoltySquirrel

Oct 25, 2017
What's extra great about this is that I imagine all of this would work on PC as well, even down to the remapping. So this could theoretically benefit an even larger audience of disabled people. Awesome.

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017
This is really great, kudos Microsoft.

Slight OT, isn't this a weird time to announce this? 1am on the east coast US here.

Was wondering about the timing thing too, maybe someone accidentally put AM instead of PM when they scheduled the announcement haha.

Back OT, this is absolutely incredible. Great to see Microsoft making strides like this for gamers with disabilities.

Ridill

Oct 27, 2017
California
This is amazing. I hope others follow suit, as making gaming available to those with disabilities without having to jump through hoops is a great thing...

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
This is a really smart and elegant controller, which seems to be genuinely built with the needs of the community in mind. Good on Microsoft for bringing this to retail. Both Nintendo and Sony would be smart to open their consoles up to this as an input device.

Nov 13, 2017
That Engadget video was mind blowing. Microsoft deserves a lot of praise for this. Gamers with disabilities deserve a fair chance at gaming too.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
"Anybody, literally anybody who wants to learn from the work we've done here—or even try to do more than that with the work we've done here—I'm completely open to that. it doesn't have to have an Xbox logo on it. Let's just allow more people to play."

A man of the people.

It's great to see people get into/back into gaming using these accessibility setups.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
This is so awesome and a great step to increase accessibility. Good job Microsoft!

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Bravo! This is a segment of gaming that doesn't get talked about much in the mainstream (I'm just as guilty about it), so it's awesome to see a first party OEM really take a huge step towards making sure all gamers can do what they love regardless of their physical capabilities. I'm really happy for those who look at this thing and say "hey, finally. Someone is thinking of us"

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Absolutely brilliant and I'm sure a part of that inclusive discussion Phil had at DICE.

This should be genuinely applauded and it's fabtastic that Phil is open to Nintendo and Sony implementing this tech into a similar device for their platforms.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if there is any chance of getting this on a PS4 and Switch. Obviously MS is not making this to make a profit.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
This is definitely more extensive than I expected in terms of also being able to support separate devices/inputs for every button and function. Very impressive.

I'm also looking forward to how people will find other creative uses for the controller (which is another reason why accessibility options are ultimately great for everyone).

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
My massive hands-on feature is live at Ars. I went last week to test it out and interview a few folks, including Phil.

"I will never turn this into a Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft [competitive] thing," head of Xbox Phil Spencer said at the event. "Anybody, literally anybody who wants to learn from the work we've done here—or even try to do more than that with the work we've done here—I'm completely open to that. it doesn't have to have an Xbox logo on it. Let's just allow more people to play."

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...wer-to-the-tricky-world-of-accessible-gaming/

THIS! That is the spirit of the project and really awesome. On something like this there is no other way to be. Hope Nintendo and Sony are open to getting this to everyone who wants it on the platform they want it.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Very nice, heart warming that they've dedicated effort to such a small (yet important) part of our community.