• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
This will be huge. Custom games is what kept the Warcraft III and Starcraft communites alive long after Blizzard stopped releasing new content for those games. It's what gave birth to DOTA and the entire MOBA genre. I had fun times making my own Warcraft campaigns as a kid.

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Step to the right direction, just allow maps creation and we're golden.

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
The fact that Fitzy was able to craft the Battle Royale shrinking damage storm in like 5 minutes says a lot about how amazing this sis going to get.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Are the actual tears flowing now?

Y'know what, I was gladly just going to ignore you but at this point I don't care if I get banned or warned or whatever but you can actually go fuck yourself.

I wasn't even addressing you was I? No, but you come into this thread and shoot down peoples actual legitimate criticisms because your precious game needs to be defended at every fucking turn. You've been hostile since this thread started and have been doing nothing but arguing in bad faith. So fuck off and get a life.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
What makes or breaks this for me is rather we'll be able to earn XP/our weekly lootbox wins in scripted games. Considering it's inside game browser I'm gonna say no.

It'd be nice if Blizzard moved really good custom modes to arcade, shorta like a featured mode.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Why not, TF2 subsisted on user made maps (and even cosmetic gear) for years. It's not like the monetization in Overwatch is based around buying maps. If anything it encourages people to keep playing and buying more lootboxes.
Having user map creation actually works out really well for Team Fortress 2 and CS:GO, since Valve can feature or officially add high quality maps to the game in updates.

About half of the official maps in Team Fortress 2 weren't made by Valve.
I'd say Valve is the exception to the rule, and both TF2 and CS predate modern GaaS, and both have massive legacies of custom maps and other user content.

Modern GaaS use a dripfeed of new maps as one more way to get old players back in the system.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait does this mean we can have a map where we try and punch an enemy mei into the opposite side of the map to make a goal?

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say Valve is the exception to the rule, and both TF2 and CS predate modern GaaS, and both have massive legacies of custom maps and other user content.

Modern GaaS use a dripfeed of new maps as one more way to get old players back in the system.

feels like overwatch is a bit of an exception to that rule since more people probably come back to check out hammond and baptiste rather than paris or havana.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait does this mean we can have a map where we try and punch an enemy mei into the opposite side of the map to make a goal?
I'm gonna say yes, I don't see a reason that wouldn't be doable with these scripts. I'm definitely gonna work on Mei Ice Block curling over the weekend.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
This seems cool and all but this seems like a giant waste of time when there are more pressing matters when it comes to game balance and meaningful content updates.

Also, it seems like the vast majority of players won't even be able to use this if what Jeff says is true if you don't have experience in scripting programs and what not.

You don't need to be able to script to be able to play in game modes others have scripted though...

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
It's a step in the right direction, but this better lead into a great big community workshop that leads to map creation and the like. The game desperately needs it amongst other things.

bear force one

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
Y'know what, I was gladly just going to ignore you but at this point I don't care if I get banned or warned or whatever but you can actually go fuck yourself.

I wasn't even addressing you was I? No, but you come into this thread and shoot down peoples actual legitimate criticisms because your precious game needs to be defended at every fucking turn. You've been hostile since this thread started and have been doing nothing but arguing in bad faith. So fuck off and get a life.
At least try not to be so odd. Jesus.

Last edited:

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
This does nothing for me but cool for those who care. I need a way to matchmake in quickplay and blacklist certain maps.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
Cool. One of my worries for the future is that it seemed like Blizzard's initial hints that there would eventually be modding tools were quietly dropped, so this is a good sign that that's not the case.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
What a cool feature! I bet some seriously cool things will come out of this, makes me wanna work on my scripting skills.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I am immediately returning Lucio's Amped Speed back to normal. I like when my Reins and Meis chase people at 500 mph.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
It'd be cool if this could be used to create vanilla Overwatch, but it doesn't allow you to revert the reworked heroes.

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
This seems cool and all but this seems like a giant waste of time when there are more pressing matters when it comes to game balance and meaningful content updates.

Also, it seems like the vast majority of players won't even be able to use this if what Jeff says is true if you don't have experience in scripting programs and what not.

If other people make it, you should be able to use it no problem. I personally don't think this is a waste of time. I believe this will be a nice breath of fresh air from quick play and comp and breathe new life into the game as people will have many options for gameplay styles. Also, why do you assume because this is out that other things regarding the game aren't being internally looked at and addressed right now?

bear force one

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
If other people make it, you should be able to use it no problem. I personally don't think this is a waste of time. I believe this will be a nice breath of fresh air from quick play and comp and breathe new life into the game as people will have many options for gameplay styles. Also, why do you assume because this is out that other things regarding the game aren't being internally looked at and addressed right now?
Exactly. A quick code can be generated and shared across all platforms.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
This is a great feature.
Being blindsided by a fun mode that no one thought of before is awsome.

Bring on the crazy stuff.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It'd be cool if this could be used to create vanilla Overwatch, but it doesn't allow you to revert the reworked heroes.
Be careful what you wish for. Full team rez & scatter arrow aren't things I want to see brought back, & I say the former as a support main. And those were just two of vanilla Overwatch's problems.

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
This will bring me back if its as open ended as something like warcraft 3 custom games were. Havent touched the game in a long time.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused, how exactly can you make your own "prototype" hero in this? All I'm getting is that this edits specific games, not makes your own hero.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Be careful what you wish for. Full team rez & scatter arrow aren't things I want to see brought back, & I say the former as a support main. And those were just two of vanilla Overwatch's problems.
I know exactly what I'm wishing for. Overwatch year one was gaming bliss for me. I understand many disagree, but I want a separate mode for it.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Will I be able to make a game with Mercy's old ult back? If so, count me back in!

Yea, something like this will do the trick, haven't tested this though but their is a custom server with mass res on, you can also set the radius of this ability,
nKDzjJO.jpg

I'm confused, how exactly can you make your own "prototype" hero in this? All I'm getting is that this edits specific games, not makes your own hero.

You'll have to prototype within the current roster but there are quite a bit you can changes you can do with the characters.

Oct 25, 2017

you prob need to relax a bit bro

i get you want balance updates to the game but the thread is about overwatch workshop, not overwatch balance???

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
At work, can't check the details. Anybody knows if:
1. We can have more than 6v6? Maybe 8v8 or even up to 12v12?
2. We can create game modes without any time limit ( as weird as it sounds I had a lot of fun on TF2 stale mate prone maps, more time to dominate or get revenge on some other regular of the server)
3. We can create PvE modes

All this would def make me stick around longer in Overwatch.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017

New heroes are prototyped from changing existing ones.

Batiste's healing grenades is like Junkrat's grenades.
Brigitte's rally is an altered Lucio aura.
Moira attack is like Symmetra's original beam.

Mugsy

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who played a lot of Team Fortress 2 the one thing I always wondered about balance in Overwatch is how much healing there is. Like Mercy's healing rate is almost double what the medic's was (in combat, medics rate increased if you were out of combat) and you typically have 2-3 healers per 6 people instead of ~1 in TF2. It lets tank survive so much since they have enough hp to not be instant killed and concentrated healing lets you survive the direct fire of multiple enemies usually. I wonder if you could straight half all healing in combat and see what would happen, if tanks tried soaking up damage eventually there would not be enough healing to keep them all up so being smaller and more agile would be more important and the ability to instant kill with things like widowmaker would not be as necessary.

Palloom

Oct 25, 2017
EU
I know exactly what I'm wishing for. Overwatch year one was gaming bliss for me. I understand many disagree, but I want a separate mode for it.

I hear you. I exclusively played Mercy and Symmetra until Blizzard killed them one by one for the sake of esport. The new Sombra is kinda fun but not enough to hook me back as a regular. The feeling of a 5x rez or full-man flank TP, those were the days.